Will Ole get another PL job after this?

Will Ole get another PL managers job at some stage?

• Total voters

Ekeke

Every opposition fan was cheering Ole at the wheel, it has become a running joke. Without resources and being protected as a past legend he will get around couple of months to produce results. I can’t see him having the acumen to manage a lower placed PL side considering how competitive the league is.

but that is very, very small chance that will happen as there are hundreds of more talented managers around to challenge him for that position.
He got a job when he hadnt had a great first run of games as united manager getting him the permanent job, or doing well at Molde. He had done nothing and got the Cardiff job.

Now hes done something. Something that hasnt been good enough for a club wanting to challenge for the title, but far better than most managers at the bottom premier league clubs have done

Idxomer

He got a job when he hadnt had a great first run of games as united manager getting him the permanent job, or doing well at Molde. He had done nothing and got the Cardiff job.

Now hes done something. Something that hasnt been good enough for a club wanting to challenge for the title, but far better than most managers at the bottom premier league clubs have done
He won the league and was a young manager, that's why he got the Cardiff job. He isn't that anymore.

The 2nd point doesn't make any sense. The resources at United are vastly different from any other club. What others will see is he had failed based on expectations at United and his team was humiliated on his way out for weeks.

United1st

No because its clear he hasn't improved anyone. Buying loads of players with no defined way of playing is folly.

That said, PL team Owners are idiots so who knows?

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
So, spent £60m on Bruno in January, Seems pointedly obvious to me why managers at the bottom of the premier league haven’t done things like that.

Enigma_87

You know who

Difference at United is that he had world class players to cop him out producing moments of magic. He doesn’t have that comfort at a lowe placed side. On top of that his transfer record is hit and miss and owners will also see how he did with VdB and Sancho and they would be a massive worry.

besides there are plenty of better and more experienced managers around, why would you choose Ole? I mean look at the relegation battlers -they have Ranieri, Dean Smith, Dyche, Frank.. Ole is not better than any of those managers. If you turn to Europe there are many others that are much better than himand even without a job now..

don’t really know what type of club profile I should look at that would be interested in him.. Maybe Norway and the NT team.

Ekeke

Difference at United is that he had world class players to cop him out producing moments of magic. He doesn’t have that comfort at a lowe placed side. On top of that his transfer record is hit and miss and owners will also see how he did with VdB and Sancho and they would be a massive worry.

besides there are plenty of better and more experienced managers around, why would you choose Ole? I mean look at the relegation battlers -they have Ranieri, Dean Smith, Dyche, Frank.. Ole is not better than any of those managers. If you turn to Europe there are many others that are much better than himand even without a job now..

don’t really know what type of club profile I should look at that would be interested in him.. Maybe Norway and the NT team.
Nobody does have that at low clubs. But nobody thinks the relegation scrapping managers could have a run like Ole did when he first came in at United if they were at United either. Clubs will take a gamble that they get the Ole we got at first rather than the one we finished with

Ekeke

So, spent £60m on Bruno in January, Seems pointedly obvious to me why managers at the bottom of the premier league haven’t done things like that.
Yes, because they wouldnt have been hired full time after having a caretaker job because they wouldnt have outperformed Mourinho with his own players

izec

Needs to prove himself somewhere else for a bottom PL club to hire him. I have my doubts that he will be successful, so no, i dont see him in the PL. He also didn't come back after Cardiff to any non United PL team, wont come back now. You need more than cliches and romanticism nowadays to be successful.

Enigma_87

You know who
Nobody does have that at low clubs. But nobody thinks the relegation scrapping managers could have a run like Ole did when he first came in at United if they were at United either. Clubs will take a gamble that they get the Ole we got at first rather than the one we finished with
There are many examples of poor coaches getting runs like that at numerous clubs. No one will look at Ole only based on handful of games. There is a special attachment between him and the club and this is the reason why he didn’t get fired couple of months in..

Which club do you reckon could gamble on him?

Ekeke

There are many examples of poor coaches getting runs like that at numerous clubs. No one will look at Ole only based on handful of games. There is a special attachment between him and the club and this is the reason why he didn’t get fired couple of months in..

Which club do you reckon could gamble on him?
We looked at him based on his run of games and gave him a big contract.

Yes other clubs will look to that and his time at Molde when deciding over whether to offer him a job. Because thats what you might get under the right circumstances and they're going to be hopeful they make the right choice

Enigma_87

You know who
We looked at him based on his run of games and gave him a big contract.

Yes other clubs will look to that and his time at Molde when deciding over whether to offer him a job. Because thats what you might get under the right circumstances and they're going to be hopeful they make the right choice
He didn’t exactly pull trees at Molde from his second stint on. They became champions in his absence, then he finished 6th and 5th and they won the league again under different manager when he left.

I wouldn’t put that on my resume tbh if I’m applying for a job in PL.

It’s like having first job at McDonald’s on your CV when applying for a position as NASA pilot..

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Tactics don't matter there then???
They certainly matter less... Look at Southgate

For all his faults Ole can

a) create a good feeling around a place, and has some man - management skills that could help him in an international setting

And

B) Set up an underdog team to counter.

Thus at a middling European nation I think he could find some success.

Bondi77

a) create a good feeling around a place, and has some man - management skills that could help him in an international setting

And

I can see why it would appeal to Zidane then :drool:
I would imagine that Norway would be the only international job he would get and if that comes up then good luck to him.

cyril C

Why not? In the pace of EPL clubs sacking their manager, they will have to hire ANYONE with a license. Even Chelsea will have to consider Ole at some point, unless they recycle their bin.

criticalanalysis

Based on the history of PL club board decisions, then yes he has every chance because they make all sorts of strange choices.

Based on his 'ability' of what we've (not) seen, in my opinion any club with a good footballing structure in place worth it salt would look elsewhere before he comes into the equation.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Based on the history of PL club board decisions, then yes he has every chance because they make all sorts of strange choices.

Based on his 'ability' of what we've (not) seen, in my opinion any club with a good footballing structure in place worth it salt would look elsewhere before he comes into the equation.
Agree. Need to add third option to the poll:

- yes
- no
- meh, why not

weizxx

To be fair, during United’s spell he did not show neither the ability, nor the will to learn. Tactically, he is the same manager that took us three years ago. He also does not coach yet. So, in what should have served as a massive learning experience, he learned nothing and is the same guy who came here, 3 years ago. Just a bit broken.

I mean, just a few weeks ago he still reiterated that the football is about e passion, winning the fifty fifties and who wants it more. He said last week that against Watford we have to come like a wounded animal. Cliche after cliche, with no indication that he was doing any learning in the first place.

That is why I don’t buy that he did his best. He did not. Doing your best is going outside of your comfort zone, studying what you are doing, learning in the job. He did neither of that, he didn’t even try (for example, taking some experienced coach, doing some coaching, trying different things), instead hoping that Bruno scores another penalty-kick or this season Ronaldo scores another goal from nothing to save his arse yet another time.
Was just trying to be nice to Ole but I agree with your every word. Ole never learn. I was so fxing angry with the EL final. Unforgivable performance from the coach team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Feck sake folks are ridiculous with this narrative.

He took United from 6th to 2nd place and closed the gap on City closer to a title than Jose did, that's the facts and made a EL final, losing it on a penalty kick.

Ole was / is by no means a tactical genius, but are we forgetting he's beaten the leagues best managers, some of them a few times? Pep, Klopp, Rodgers, Poch, Moyes...

Yet were supposed to believe that smaller or mid table clubs wouldn't give him a shot?

I reckon there's at least 5 clubs that would take him on if not more.
Let’s just say, he inherited a squad that would cost at least 600-800m, and he further spend another 500m on it. And he has easily the 2nd biggest squad in the league, and probably among top 3 in Europe. And his best team got totally outplayed and schooled by the likes of Watford, Young Boys etc (let’s not mentioned City or Liverpool, who could beat us easily with their 2nd or 3rd team)

Last edited:

rotherham_red

IMO there’s zero chance and reason Ole scores a job in Bundesliga where there’s so many young and prospering managers, they really don’t fancy managers without tactical pedigree.
The amount of space those BL defences leave behind, from top to bottom would be like cat nip to Ole and his counters.

Just because they press doesn't mean they're tactically proficient.

rotherham_red

If a manager who finished above 18 of his contemporaries in his league just 6 months ago can't get another job in said league then that's a bit of a paradox, I must say.

He had a better league record in terms of league finishes than Rodgers did at Pool, and it didn't stop the latter from eventually landing on his feet at Leicester.

The external perception of Ole is far worse than the reality, and it's really quite sad how so many of you in this thread are struck with recency bias considering he had us top of said league in only January of this year...

Max_United

And

The problem with B) is that we don't know whether he can do it without the benefit of having quality players. We had some good counterattacking matches against big teams in 19/20, but the quality of our players was still comparable or not far from them - and our results against big teams have gotten worse over time...

Whether Ole can successfully overachieve with a club with, say, league average squad and league average resources or qualify for a top tournament with a country with European average pool of players - is a huge question. Only time that he had a comparable experience was at Cardiff and we all know how it ended.

Let's see, hopefully he can reinvent himself, learn lessons and have a successful stint somewhere. But I think that unfortunately Norway national team/Championship/some non-top Belgian/Dutch/Scandinavian team is the best he can hope for as the next job. Recruitment of coaches has become a lot more professional in top leagues, especially premier league. CEOs from other top leagues would look at Moyes and Neville as negative examples. Maybe he can leverage his network and ability to attract good players on loan/permanently but it would be enough to get a job at a non-top-5 league only, in my view.

Marty1968

He probably will but shouldn't!! If I hear the phrase "the boys have been fantastic" once more!!!

OleTheGreat

I think he can do a good job for clubs like Everton, Southampton, Wolves, Aston Villa and some such. He creates a great atmosphere but requires the right staff to work alongside him because he trusts in his staff a lot like Scholes recently mentioned.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
If a manager who finished above 18 of his contemporaries in his league just 6 months ago can't get another job in said league then that's a bit of a paradox, I must say.

He had a better league record in terms of league finishes than Rodgers did at Pool, and it didn't stop the latter from eventually landing on his feet at Leicester.

The external perception of Ole is far worse than the reality, and it's really quite sad how so many of you in this thread are struck with recency bias considering he had us top of said league in only January of this year...
Ole is your typical chequebook manager which is why none of the middle/lower league clubs will be interested in him. To confound things even more, the more he spends the worse he becomes which is why no way in a million years a top European league team will ever be interested in him.

Rodgers has done a far better job at Leicester keeping them relevant after selling their best players year after year. Is his cycle coming to an end ? Possibly but Rodgers definitely won't be short of any job offers if he does leave. Rumours are one of the worlds biggest clubs are interested in him. He must be doing something right.

Article about Solskjaer’s as Cardiff manager from 2014, after he got them relegated and had them 17th in the championship, if written today you’d think it was about his Man Utd reign, pasted some key parts. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...ws/ole-gunnar-solskjaers-cardiff-city-7786419

Cardiff, under Solskjaer, appear confused, chaotic, and clueless

Vincent Tan has spent a fortune on giving his Norwegian boss what, on paper at least, looks by far the strongest squad in the Championship

They lack as much shape, pattern and tactical consistency today as they did when Solskjaer first entered the fray as manager

He keeps playing Gunnarsson in the 10 role. Aron has many strengths, being a midfield warrior one of them, but he isn’t, and never will be, a creative footballer

So what on earth was the point of signing Kagisho Dikgacoi, Tom Adeyemi and Guido Burtgstaller in the summer?

When he first came into the job, Solskjaer pledged an adventurous, free-flowing brand of football to wow the fans. He wanted ball-playing centre-backs……..What we saw in the second half was lump it up to Kenwyne Jones route one rubbish. A style totally alien to Manga and Cala

Solskjaer has presided over some utterly abject Cardiff display at home and Middlesbrough was every bit as bad as the Bluebirds crashing to Hull and Crystal Palace

One thing he was wrong about

When Solskjaer breezed in, huge reputation coming with him, there were suggestions that if pulled up trees with Cardiff, he could become a future Manchester United manager.

After his work here, Solskjaer has even less chance than David Moyes of going back to Old Trafford
. :lol::lol::lol:
So who knows maybe Ole might end up replacing Tunchel someday or help the Barca rebuild if Xavi flops.

criticalanalysis

The amount of space those BL defences leave behind, from top to bottom would be like cat nip to Ole and his counters.

Just because they press doesn't mean they're tactically proficient.
You're assuming Ole can coach a team to be defensively compact and know their roles on and off the ball to be able to take advantage of high pressing tactics or teams who leave space behind (who are likely to be on the front foot regarding possession/pitch management).

That's a big if when he won't have far superior players at his disposal. From his body of work, it's based on blind faith more than anything else.

el3mel

Article about Solskjaer’s as Cardiff manager from 2014, after he got them relegated and had them 17th in the championship, if written today you’d think it was about his Man Utd reign, pasted some key parts. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport...ws/ole-gunnar-solskjaers-cardiff-city-7786419

Vincent Tan has spent a fortune on giving his Norwegian boss what, on paper at least, looks by far the strongest squad in the Championship

They lack as much shape, pattern and tactical consistency today as they did when Solskjaer first entered the fray as manager

He keeps playing Gunnarsson in the 10 role. Aron has many strengths, being a midfield warrior one of them, but he isn’t, and never will be, a creative footballer

So what on earth was the point of signing Kagisho Dikgacoi, Tom Adeyemi and Guido Burtgstaller in the summer?

When he first came into the job, Solskjaer pledged an adventurous, free-flowing brand of football to wow the fans. He wanted ball-playing centre-backs……..What we saw in the second half was lump it up to Kenwyne Jones route one rubbish. A style totally alien to Manga and Cala

Solskjaer has presided over some utterly abject Cardiff display at home and Middlesbrough was every bit as bad as the Bluebirds crashing to Hull and Crystal Palace

When Solskjaer breezed in, huge reputation coming with him, there were suggestions that if pulled up trees with Cardiff, he could become a future Manchester United manager.

After his work here, Solskjaer has even less chance than David Moyes of going back to Old Trafford
So who knows maybe Ole might end up replacing Tunchel someday or help the Barca rebuild if Xavi flops.
Weird how people here were expecting him to change or improve by time or something. This article made it clear he has always been that kind of manager. He would have never improved.

Foxbatt

Weird how people here were expecting him to change or improve by time or something. This article made it clear he has always been that kind of manager. He would have never improved.
The article was completely wrong. He did become the Manager of Manchester United after all the chaos at Cardiff. It shows how incompetent Manchester United are.

Amir

And yet, even then, so many people looking at United from the outside were not impressed at all.

Verward

Please stop Ole bashing. I can understand if he was still our manager but that chapter is now over. Let's move on.

PeteManic

He would be mad to go for another PL club. Talking about his family situation in the last interview, they seem to be more settled in Norway so I'm sure he'll go back there and enjoy his pay off.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
At his next interview he'll ask if he gets £400m to spend as he's worked wonders on that sort of budget before.
:lol:

If asked to get top 4, what transfer budget he requires. He'll probably say that he needs at least £500M.
And to achieve this great feat, he needs an elite level coaching team - Carrick, Phelan, McKenna and Fletcher.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He would be mad to go for another PL club. Talking about his family situation in the last interview, they seem to be more settled in Norway so I'm sure he'll go back there and enjoy his pay off.
Indeed.
And he doesn't need to work anymore. He can basically pick and choose the best job that works for him and his family. I think the Norway National job might be good for him.

Suedesi

The Ole cultists can fck right off, he was a terrible manager and never qualified to be given the job in the first place.

Seij

It's scary how eerily similar all that is to his time at United. He is very good at saying things that others want to hear and you have to give him that.

Atheist

He won’t get another job at PL level because he’d be too much of a risk. The financial stakes in PL for any club are just too high - especially in the lower half of the table. Clubs want coaches with proven success (keeping them from relegation or midtable) and his track record does not suggest he’d be able to have any success at that.

wise_old_man

No. Doubt he'll get another job at the age of 70 when his stint at United comes to an end. That's when the board finally get over the fact that van Gaal and Mourinho didn't work out and maybe they can improve with a new appointment.
I know the Manchester United job makes managers age quickly due to the stress. But this is crazy stuff...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I think going practical here might help this debate? It’s 29 November and….

Case 1: you own Burnley and have a mighty bust up with Dyche because of different opinions about surviving chances without relevant signings in January, so that you sack him with massive regret. Would you hire Ole?

Case 2: you own Leeds and Bielsa’s project has gone awry, players are massively fed up and relegation starts appearing a realistic outcome, without a clear address. Would you hire Ole?

Case 3: you own Brighton and Potter unexpectedly resigns to go to, say, Leicester because Rodgers is going to, say, … . Would you hire Ole?

Similar cases might be made for Championship clubs, if you like this game. Where the buck stops, then? Which club YOU own would do better by replacing their current manager with Solskjaer??
The problem with this exercise is that no one on here knows the thought process by which club management select coaches. By this logic, Moyes was done after Sociedad.