Will Ole get another PL job after this?

Will Ole get another PL managers job at some stage?

• Total voters

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
Not saying that he would never be able to (he needs only one offer of almost 100 clubs after all), but there is a difference between Ole and most managers with unsuccessful spells at big clubs. Most got those gigs on the back of success elsewhere - so a smaller club can look beyond the failure at big club and say "ok he is not good enough for United/Barca etc but he showed that he is good at around our level so he could recreate it". Ole got United job after actually failing at lower level. So he would be perceived as a lot higher risk than the likes of Moyes and even Lampard. He is more comparable to someone like Solari, who managed to get a job only in Mexico after RM.
Quick google tells me Solari got 4+ months at RM. In a league with a money doped Pep City, a Klopp Liverpool and a money doped Chelsea he had an above expected turnaround first half season, 3rd and 2nd place two full seasons. Results wise he did alright up to this last few weeks/months. In the day to day it's hard to say, but he kept the job for a long time under high pressure. I'm sure some will think this guy might know something

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He might have not been the best manager at United but there are tonnes of clubs in top tier football that would appreciate it. He is shown some qualities and who is to say the United job is not the making of him. Did Moyes no harm at West Ham after his Spanish expedition.
Comparing Ole to Moyes has to be a joke. David Moyes, no matter how big of a joke he is on here (or was?) is one of the most respected coaches out there. He is a solid premier league level coach/manager.

Ole would be lucky to stay at Molde.

Long Time Red

Hiring Rangnick is the worst thing that could of possibly happened to Ole.

In a few weeks he's going to be looking completely incompetent with the press sensationalising the incredible turnaround by Rangnick.

I think his only chance of getting another job will be the with the Norweigan national team, there's zero chance he ever managers in the Premier League again.

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Hiring Rangnick is the worst thing that could of possibly happened to Ole.

In a few weeks he's going to be looking completely incompetent with the press sensationalising the incredible turnaround by Rangnick.

I think his only chance of getting another job will be the with the Norweigan national team, there's zero chance he ever managers in the Premier League again.
Might take slightly more time to set the pressing, or? Rangnicks first problem will be how he handles the Ronaldo situation.

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
In the future he might, but he’ll have to go away and prove himself at a top-flight club somewhere before he gets close.

lex talionis

I don’t follow the Norway NT very closely but it seems to me he’s destined to be their manager, possibly for many years.

lloyd2wayne

They dont need to. They are trying to stay up not win something
Ole couldn’t keep Cardiff up either :) so I don’t get your point.
He failed at the buttom and top end of the table in the premier league so no way he gets another job in the premier league.

stw2022

Sadly for him I suspect not. The most damning thing about his reign wasn't that he failed, it was that he didn't appear to have any ideas in terms of how to manage the team. He managed by the recital of platitudes. How can another chairman look at his reign and think there’s anything in his skill set that could transfer into their club and make a difference.

Just print off some vacuous inspirational quotes like “Show passion” and “Do your magic” and stick them up around the training ground and you’ve saved £7.5m a year

Seeing how he spends huge money on players then pretends they don’t exist will be another red flag for owners

Last edited:

TeddyBear

'Ole's CL goal was overrated'
Please ask Ole to retake all his coaching badges and licenses.
Also, please ask him to take extra lessons from Ralf.

If that is, he still wants to stay in this business.

He is the poorest I have seen. Even Moyes is decent considering the modest budget he has been working with.

"Lads, go out and enjoy and express yourselves." :yawn:

Ekeke

Ole couldn’t keep Cardiff up either :) so I don’t get your point.
He failed at the buttom and top end of the table in the premier league so no way he gets another job in the premier league.
No he couldnt, but again that was before he performed a miracle transformation at United during his first run of games at United with Mourinho's players. It was that which got him the United job. It'll get him a much lesser job too.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Would a small EPL side go for a manager who wasn't able to win even with a club like Manchester United, who got Cardiff relegated, who refuse to coach, whose tactics are non existent, who keeps hiring his mates and who fecks off to a holiday in a middle of a crisis?

Last edited:

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
I doubt we will see him again in the PL. No top club will touch him for obvious reasons and smaller clubs won't go for him because he has no history of beeing good at avoiding relegation. The one job he had at that level with Cardiff, he failed.
Smaller clubs seem to go for upcoming, progressive managers or the usual experienced british line of managers. Ole is neither of those, so I don't really see some space for him.

devilish

I doubt we will see him again in the PL. No top club will touch him for obvious reasons and smaller clubs won't go for him because he has no history of beeing good at avoiding relegation. The one job he had at that level with Cardiff, he failed.
Smaller clubs seem to go for upcoming, progressive managers or the usual experienced british line of managers. Ole is neither of those, so I don't really see some space for him.
In my opinion he should go to Holland or Scotland and manage there. His links with United should provide him with some top talent on the cheap or via loan. That could give him a competitive advantage over the other managers. If Ole can win a trophy or two there then maybe he can get a job in the EPL.

kerryman

I doubt he would even want another EPL gig tbh....he steadied the ship at United but didn't do anything amazing while spending a lot, at the other end he got relegated with Cardiff. Can't imagine he'd do much with a mid-table team. He didn't really improve United, in 2 of his 3 seasons we finished with a points total in the mid 60's, last year 8 points better with 74. United not having any distinctive style despite him being in charge for 3 years would probably put teams off hiring him.

Lee565

His best bet is to go manage in scotland with rangers or Celtic to help try and get another epl job.

Mick1

I was one of the few who wanted him out from his first day in charge, but it s ridiculous to suggest a manager with 3 years of top table experience would not even be in consideration for a premier league club.

Whether we like it or not Ole up until this year beat all expectations most had of him. And his last couple months implosion means little for smaller teams. Few small teams will have a problem getting the best out of the likes of CR7 and Sancho.

Overall decent job. Went to the crapper when superstars joined. CP, Burnley and the likes should be in his sights

AndySmith1990

He badly needs to go away and study the tactical side of football and pay attention to the details. His theory and basic understanding of what's happening on the pitch is nonexistent, and frankly his platitudes and vibes talk will wear very thin, very quickly at other clubs, where he won't have the luxury of getting a free ride for being a former player.

Without that tactical knowledge to build a functional team that plays an effective style consistently, he's always going to fall short.

MinGin

What situation?

The situation were without him we'd be out of the champions league as well?
The situation is that he is a decent and world class striker in the world and saved us several times this year. But when we are defending, we look like 9 field men defending system. Yes, you cannot expect a 36 years old player pressing every time, but the facts is 10 field men shall be pressed as a machine nowadays from striker to GK.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
The situation is that he is a decent and world class striker in the world and saved us several times this year. But when we are defending, we look like 9 field men defending system. Yes, you cannot expect a 36 years old player pressing every time, but the facts is 10 field men shall be pressed as a machine nowadays from striker to GK.
Yes but not all team press with all outfield players. Players won't press if coach has no idea how to implement it or if the coach doesn't set up to press as a team.

Max_United

I was one of the few who wanted him out from his first day in charge, but it s ridiculous to suggest a manager with 3 years of top table experience would not even be in consideration for a premier league club.

Whether we like it or not Ole up until this year beat all expectations most had of him. And his last couple months implosion means little for smaller teams. Few small teams will have a problem getting the best out of the likes of CR7 and Sancho.

Overall decent job. Went to the crapper when superstars joined. CP, Burnley and the likes should be in his sights
But that is the problem - he might have beat expectations that were specifically lowered for him. If you take a big picture of each season - no way he beat expectations of a United manager. At best, he achieved the very minimum of expectations and even that is questionable due to total absence of trophies (which used to be an extremely important measure here until a portion of a fanbase moved the goalposts for Ole and started advertising 2nd and 3rd place finishes as some great achievement).

2018-2019 - great run and night in Paris, but started 6th and finished 6th and handily beat by Barca. Overall - ok record for caretaker, but not much more.

2019-2020 - for any United manager the very minimum expectation would be top-4 and good run in cups. He barely achieved it - we snatched top-4 in the last day, being 33 points from top, 15 points off second and level with 4th. And this 3rd place finish has continuously been mentioned in defense of Ole as if it was a comfortable top-4 finish. It wasn't. FA Cup and Europa we made semis which is ok but we had easy runs in both of them - beat AZ, Partisan, Astana, LASK, Brugge and Copenhagen in EL and Wolves, Tranmere, Derby and Norwich in FA Cup. Beat by first serious opponents in both competitions. Overall, minimum expectations barely achieved. Anything just a bit worse would be a disappointing season.

2020-2021 - again, for any United manager the very minimum expectation would be to improve on points and be not far away from the title plus win a cup or have a good CL run. In the League I would say we achieved minimum expectation (although influenced by the dire state of most of the rivals). Crashed out of CL group, and did not win any cups, although you can argue made EL final and beat some good teams. Overall - again, I would say minimum expectations barely achieved at best.

2021-2022 - crashed.

Yes, small teams do not have CR7 and Sancho "problem", but they have the problem of having to overachieve on limited budget and limited player quality, which must be compensated by good coaching/tactics to get decent results. So far in his career, Ole has not shown anything suggesting he can do it. He always mostly relied on large budgets and individual player quality. But will be very interesting if he can reinvent himself in a smaller club. I hope so, I do not enjoy people being unsuccessful and stressed for all my anti-Ole rhetoric :) But he would be a huge risk for a small club.

wolvored

Would a small EPL side go for a manager who wasn't able to win even with a club like Manchester United, who got Cardiff relegated, who refuse to coach, whose tactics are non existent, who keeps hiring his mates and who fecks off to a holiday in a middle of a crisis?
Dont forget he also admitted he doesnt coach not refuse, so on that alone most will say 'i'm out'

Maticmaker

I doubt he would want it, not just now anyway.

I suspect Ole only chanced his arm because United was 'his club'; remember he was only supposed to be an interim appointment, stepping into the job to raise the spirits and rekindle the so called DNA...but everyone got carried away.

Good luck to Ole whatever he does, wouldn't surprise me if he's back with his previous club Molde FK next season.

Mick1

But that is the problem - he might have beat expectations that were specifically lowered for him. If you take a big picture of each season - no way he beat expectations of a United manager. At best, he achieved the very minimum of expectations and even that is questionable due to total absence of trophies (which used to be an extremely important measure here until a portion of a fanbase moved the goalposts for Ole and started advertising 2nd and 3rd place finishes as some great achievement).

2018-2019 - great run and night in Paris, but started 6th and finished 6th and handily beat by Barca. Overall - ok record for caretaker, but not much more.

2019-2020 - for any United manager the very minimum expectation would be top-4 and good run in cups. He barely achieved it - we snatched top-4 in the last day, being 33 points from top, 15 points off second and level with 4th. And this 3rd place finish has continuously been mentioned in defense of Ole as if it was a comfortable top-4 finish. It wasn't. FA Cup and Europa we made semis which is ok but we had easy runs in both of them - beat AZ, Partisan, Astana, LASK, Brugge and Copenhagen in EL and Wolves, Tranmere, Derby and Norwich in FA Cup. Beat by first serious opponents in both competitions. Overall, minimum expectations barely achieved. Anything just a bit worse would be a disappointing season.

2020-2021 - again, for any United manager the very minimum expectation would be to improve on points and be not far away from the title plus win a cup or have a good CL run. In the League I would say we achieved minimum expectation (although influenced by the dire state of most of the rivals). Crashed out of CL group, and did not win any cups, although you can argue made EL final and beat some good teams. Overall - again, I would say minimum expectations barely achieved at best.

2021-2022 - crashed.

Yes, small teams do not have CR7 and Sancho "problem", but they have the problem of having to overachieve on limited budget and limited player quality, which must be compensated by good coaching/tactics to get decent results. So far in his career, Ole has not shown anything suggesting he can do it. He always mostly relied on large budgets and individual player quality. But will be very interesting if he can reinvent himself in a smaller club. I hope so, I do not enjoy people being unsuccessful and stressed for all my anti-Ole rhetoric :) But he would be a huge risk for a small club.
Fair enough, I just disagree with your point about smaller teams needing to have over achieving managers.
Over achieving managers get swept up by bigger clubs, and either they succeed or they don't. Quality normalises over time, which is why the likes of Bruce, Dyche... keep getting jobs. They are proven 6/10 quality, or on the whereabouts.

Ole s job at United, as average as it can be considered with United, raised his profile.

Happens with players too, I'd expect Lingard is around the same Level as a Buendia, but only one of them is considered average by the average football fans. And yet Lingard would find himself at a higher club level than Buendia were he to move ( I'd see the likes of Arsenal/Tottenham/Leicester going for him, potentially even higher team caliber if he is willing to fulfill a squad role).

Would Smalling/ Young be at Roma had they been playing for Crystal Palace ?

Might be talking out me arse but I'm sure top level experience, even resulting in failure, raises a player/manager s profile and their experience on the top level can potentially carry through in terms of improving standards and professional practices.

The man coached Roashford, Greenwood, Bruno and Shaw successfully. Not up to the united level, definetly, but think he d have learnt a lot and can carry thaat to lower level players

Tony247

Ole can make a career as a motivational speaker. I doubt there is a board stupid enough to employ him. But you never know.

Moyes had years of goodwill of managing and keeping a mid table team. Yet he struggled to shake off united curse. I am happy for him that he is now having a good run with WH. Ole will find it way more difficult to come back like that.

devilish

Dont forget he also admitted he doesnt coach not refuse, so on that alone most will say 'i'm out'
exactly especially since Ole had proven that he has a tendency of hiring his (incompetent) mates as coaches. So you have a manager who hires incompetent coaches and can't be arsed seeing if they are doing a good job.

daveskimufc

I dont think we will see him manage any club again

may give his country a go if they come calling

wolvored

exactly especially since Ole had proven that he has a tendency of hiring his (incompetent) mates as coaches. So you have a manager who hires incompetent coaches and can't be arsed seeing if they are doing a good job.
Yep. He loved the title more than he liked doing the actual job.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He looked like he’d gone a bit bananas in his exit video the other day. Talking about how many friends he’d made and how “that’s what this club’s all about”. How he “thinks the world of Carrick” and “can leave through the front door”. All topped off with the waterworks as well.

No chance anyone will employ him in the Premier League. He looks like he could do with a break, he can certainly afford one…

VivaRonaldo85

If you were a smaller PL club and had a choice between for example Chris Wilder, Dean Smith and Ole, I know who my third choice would be….

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
He probably won't be first choice for a PL job but he might be lucky and pick up a job mid-season after a sacking.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley

Pretty damning on Ole these comments from Klopp. Almost confirms the likes of Klopp really didn't consider us a threat under Ole

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

What situation?

The situation were without him we'd be out of the champions league as well?
The situation, wich gave Ole a lot of problems, that with Ronaldo in the team he couldn´t mantain his most succesful strategy - quick counter-attacking. As well as an unbalanced pressing system which as we know will be a main thing Rangnick. I didn´t define Ronaldo himself as a problem, but it´s a quite established question how Rangnick will deal with Ronaldo´s role.