Will Ronaldo ask to leave in the summer?

Botim

Supports
Royal Antwerp FC
This is the difference between Utd and City these days. Did they cling on to Kompany, Silva or Aguero?

Just like a lot of the fanbase, United is a club that lives in the past, from the way it's run to the crumbling infrastructure...

Todd

The disrespect for Ronaldo is amazing considering the shit he has got us out of this season.
For real.

As dire as things look right now, if not for Ronnie we wouldn't be in the CL knockout round and would've dropped points in god knows how many more league matches

JDDL

Supports
Arsenal
For real.

As dire as things look right now, if not for Ronnie we wouldn't be in the CL knockout round and would've dropped points in god knows how many more league matches
I never understand this logic. It's not like if Ronaldo doesn't play you have to play with 10 men. You do understand that without Ronaldo you can set your team up differently and get potentially better results?

I get that Ronaldo can produce those occasional moments of magic or late match-winning goals, but do you think Ronaldo makes the team better?

As an Arsenal fan, the amount of Man Utd fans more concerned with the fate of a single player in his late 30s ("Ronnie deserves better than this :(") than the fortunes of their entire club is astounding.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sultan

Ladron de redcafe

I never understand this logic. It's not like if Ronaldo doesn't play you have to play with 10 men. You do understand that without Ronaldo you can set your team up differently and get potentially better results?

I get that Ronaldo can produce those occasional moments of magic or late match-winning goals, but do you think Ronaldo makes the team better?

As an Arsenal fan, the amount of Man Utd fans more concerned with the fate of a single player in his late 30s ("Ronnie deserves better than this ") than the fortunes of their entire club is astounding.

It's ridiculous, isn't it? When he was on the verge of signing for City, we had posts from certain posters here saying they would celebrate his goals and trophies for City because "he deserves it". Makes you wonder whether of these can be more accurately be described as fans of Ronaldo than of the team.

Ludens the Red

As an Arsenal fan, the amount of Man Utd fans more concerned with the fate of a single player in his late 30s ("Ronnie deserves better than this ") than the fortunes of their entire club is astounding.
Youve clearly not watched Anthony Martial in the last 16 months…….

DavelinaJolie

Ay it. I remember young Ronaldo coming to the club, watching him grow as a player and eventually move on. Never idolized him, but appreciated what he did on the pitch. Thought bringing him back was a bad idea, still do. He's not what we needed at that point, it was a decision driven by money, not football.

SuperiorXI

Those that would play in his position are nowhere near his level. We'd be worse off and I have no doubt about it.

Rooney24

Absolutely love him and nothing will change that.

But its best for both if he goes.

We need an absolute top to bottom rebuild which is in reality gonna take 3 or 4 years (assuming we even get it right) and he's simply too old to be a part of that so no point in hanging on to him.

CloneMC16

At this point, hopefully. If we fail to qualify for the CL, it's hard to see any other scenario.

soapythecat

When he joined, Juve fans were largely pleased to see him leave. I remember a post on here copied and translated from a fans forum and it largely read what we are saying now….scored goals but missing all game, list his touch, lazy etc.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think it's a combination of sheer fanboys/girls blindly sticking up for their idol and, well, desperate fans clinging on to something that just isn't there anymore: the idea that Ronaldo represents what we've been sorely lacking for years now and that he'll be instrumental in bringing the glory days back, all of which ignores that he simply isn't a world beater on the pitch anymore and - also - probably hugely overestimates what he brings to the dressing room.

The latter I can sympathize with to some degree, at least it's born out of a genuine concern for United. The former I don't understand at all and never will (idolizing a past-his-prime footballer at the expense of all common sense - I find it both sad and perplexing).

Speako

Must admit I’ve been calling for him to be dropped recently, but then I saw the video online of all the off the ball runs he made at Newcastle and the absolutely diabolical service, honestly if I was him I think I’d have walked off. Which of course he did at the end in disgust.

Nikelesh Reddy

We're inevitably going to either be in no European competition at all next season or at best the Europa or Conference

Given he's only on a 2 year deal anyway do we think he'll look to leave?
I obviously want him to stay,but if he wants to leave then I wouldn’t be too gutted to say the least.Maybe we can become more potent as an attacking unit…But who can really afford to sign him in today’s financial climate?He can’t go back to Spain or Italy…We won’t sell him to another club in England…So I guess his only options are PSG or Sporting Lisbon…

Lord of Blackhaven

We can but hope. We spent years saddled with a declining Rooney and then re-sign an over the hill Ronaldo. Him and his agent played us like a fiddle. If he insists on staying next season he should be an impact sub only. I don't think his ego could stand being on the bench anyway so he would go to MLS or somewhere of a similar standard where he would look good again.

Last edited:

Flexdegea

I'd not be fussed if he was to go.

Smashing buzz when he came back but he's 37, not getting any younger and still has the mentality he needs to play every game. So can't see him playing bit part role come next season. So more likely be for the best if he went. The fact greenwood start as our best attacker playing up the front and in the middle to now getting games anywhere on the pitch, is another reason we should maybe move on so he can start nearly every game next season where he is meant to be playing.

Woodzy

Single handedly dragged through the Champions League group. Unless we massively improve the squad I’d be more worried about him leaving than most others.

Watch our games against Wolves and Southampton before he joined and we were equally as trash as we are now. Ronaldo isn’t the problem, he just hasn’t solved the problem either.

Ladron de redcafe

Those that would play in his position are nowhere near his level. We'd be worse off and I have no doubt about it.
You're free to have whatever level of doubt you want, but we were second place without him and regressed as soon as be joined. That isn't subjective.

Rockets Redglare

We can but hope. We spend years saddled with a declining Rooney and then resign an over the hill Ronaldo. Him and his agent played us like a fiddle. If he insists on staying next season he should be an impact sub only. I don't think his ego could stand being on the bench anyway so he would go to MLS or somewhere of similar standard where he would look good again.
He’d surely never go to MLS.

Ixion

You're free to have whatever level of doubt you want, but we were second place without him and regressed as soon as be joined. That isn't subjective.
2nd place in a season with no fans then immediately went to shit once fans came back into stadiums. A team of bottlers, which Ronaldo isnt at least

Ladron de redcafe

2nd place in a season with no fans then immediately went to shit once fans came back into stadiums. A team of bottlers, which Ronaldo isnt at least
It isn't really a rebuttal. The bottlers well playing better without him. And the team regressed with him.

SuperiorXI

He's a big part of it, for sure.
That front position has been a graveyard shift for a very long time now, it's not a new phenomenon. Even before Ronaldo came in whoever was there fed of scraps and no one feeds of scraps better than Ronaldo. I disagree he's part of the problem but also it is hard to say he solves our main issues.

KeanoMagicHat

It wasn't just Ronaldo we bought, do you also place equal blame on Varane and Sancho? Two absolutely top class quality players?
Ronaldo has played 1,296 minutes in the league since he's arrived, Sancho has played 808, Varane 654. So he's played almost double the minutes of Varane.

Varane for example didn't play in most of our most embarrassing games. When Varane was missing, United conceded 19 goals in 8 games. Sancho has struggled and takes a bit more blame than Varane, but I wonder of the effect of being the marquee signing for the summer, then Ronaldo arrives and takes your place originally, and you don't start several games.

Ronaldo meanwhile is the face of the team, the most famous and celebrated player, the biggest ego. He gets all the attention when we win, even if he doesn't do anything. The camera pans to him. So it's only fair that he shoulders blame when we lose also.

TheRedDevil2019

I hope not, if we have a clearout of the poison in the dressing room, the likes of Ronaldo and Bruno must remain. They will lead us to a prem title in the next 2 years not Rashford and Co...

People will point at CR7's lack of pressing, but perhaps if the team as a whole actually made an effort then CR7 would be able to be that luxury player.

The team are playing dogshite and people wanna spout nonsense about CR7's pressing when the whole team can't be arsed. At least CR7 has kept us in the Champions League.

Mike Smalling

Wouldn't blame him, if he did. Ronaldo in the Europa League would be an abomination.

Rockets Redglare

I hope not, if we have a clearout of the poison in the dressing room, the likes of Ronaldo and Bruno must remain. They will lead us to a prem title in the next 2 years not Rashford and Co...

People will point at CR7's lack of pressing, but perhaps if the team as a whole actually made an effort then CR7 would be able to be that luxury player.

The team are playing dogshite and people wanna spout nonsense about CR7's pressing when the whole team can't be arsed. At least CR7 has kept us in the Champions League.
I’m sorry but there’s absolutely no chance we’re winning the league in the next two years.

KeanoMagicHat

They've about as much chance of doing that playing together as Gerrard and Lampard did together of winning England the World Cup.

Ladron de redcafe

That front position has been a graveyard shift for a very long time now, it's not a new phenomenon. Even before Ronaldo came in whoever was there fed of scraps and no one feeds of scraps better than Ronaldo. I disagree he's part of the problem but also it is hard to say he solves our main issues.
The graveyard shift manages to score 73 goals last season. United have scored 23 goals in the 16 matches since he's joined - a pace of 20 less goals in a season. Not to mention the deterioration in play that has seen us go from 2nd last season to 7th now.

Forget about solving problems. The issue is much worse than that.

TheLord

His last best chance of adding a substantial trophy to his CV was the failed move to City last summer (especially that extending his Juventus-stay was seemingly untenable).

No title-winning club (domestic or European) in England, Spain, Italy, France, or Germany will want him now.

No European club will offer him even half the wages he is offered at United.

Could he move to a lesser club for the sake of adding more Champions League goals? Possibly yes, but I see no reason why he should stop milking United for a cool 450,000 every week for another year and a half.

I don't know why this thread isn't locked already!

dinostar77

If we dont make CL, i can see Ronaldo leaving, if he can find the right club. His only option would be PSG due to his wages. Though a front line of neymar, messi and ronaldo would leave you playing a broken formation. You'd need to clone Kante, Edgar Davids and Dider Deschamps on steriods to cope with the amount of work the midfield would have to do.

So realistically, even if we dont make CL, he will relunctantly stay.