Will the club ever call Gary Neville out on his bs?

OL29

Didn’t Fergie call him out on his ott criticism of De Gea? I think the best route is to just ignore him but I wouldn’t mind seeing Ole pulling him up on his bs either.

Coxy

He's taken 2 penalties for us ever, PSG & Chelsea. Where has the other 2 come from? England friendlies ?
must be mate - it was during the Carragher and Neville segment when they mentioned it.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The least we can do is stop inviting him to our training pitch.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The club calling Neville out would be a misstep. Hoeness and Rummenigge of Bayern Munich heavily criticised football journalists recently and it backfired as, inevitably, the media closed ranks.

Jig1234

The first thing Neville said after the game finished.

"Initially I was fuming with Pogba," said the United great. "'Typical you, you’re selfish' Why are you even thinking of taking a penalty off a player?'

You telling me this doesn't add fuel or give people incentive to hurl abuse online? His reaction and Sky spending 40 mins discussing Pogba missing a penalty create an unnecessary controversy.

Neville was ready to blame Pogba without any evidence or facts that he did anything wrong. Carragher suggesting Pogba should tell Rashford to take the Penalty? Why - He backed himself to step up and take but the keeper saved it.

Neville needs to stop his pathetic agenda against Pogba. It's utterly embarrassing. Question Ole for having two penalty takers. He is the manager but Neville would never criticise a manager or an English player the way he attacks Pogba.

wolvored

Your team mates cant carry you over a 20 year career, surely he was a good player too? Look at all our flops, did they not play in a team of mostly world class players?(Veron, Forlan, Kleberson etc) G Nev was quality.
He was a good player I'm just saying he was lucky he played at that time in a winning team of superstars. He should think before he rubbished good players who have to play in inferior teams

GenZRed

He’s also biased towards British therefore he has an agenda, I don’t like biased pundits.
Everyone is biased in some way. Spanish commentators are very biased towards Spanish clubs when they play in the Champions League. There is nothing wrong with pundits/commentators being biased. You can just ignore them if you don't like it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Club won't do anything and that's the right thing to do.

Managers usually call out pundits when they spout too much rubbish, like Klopp did with Neville, Carragher, Jose with Scholes and few others, IIRC Pep also did same thing, SAF also called out few pundits.

Flying_Heckfish

Wait, people don't just turn off the TV once the game finishes?

Pogba had a poor game really and to be honest his records on pens is also poor. Having said that, he did win the pen himself and appeared to ask Rashford the question.

No matter how Pogba played there's no call for racism, and I can't understand how this blows back on Neville?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
He was a good player I'm just saying he was lucky he played at that time in a winning team of superstars. He should think before he rubbished good players who have to play in inferior teams
Yeah that's probably why he is more forgiving with the likes of Lingard than he is with the big transfer signings, players I imagine Neville deems to be far superior than he ever was.

Nikelesh Reddy

Yet again, you dont seem to have grasped the point. This is not just about player performance, but his running commentary on the running of Manchester United as an organisation. Something way above his capacity to understand.
Every poster on this forum has a lot to say about the “running of Manchester United as an organisation”,but a former club captain doesn’t have the “capacity” to understand the way we are running our organisation.Right,makes so much sense...

Stadjer

So who should we listen to. You?
The guy gave his life to the club, was smart enough and respectful enough to finish his own career when he knew he was done and is one of the best pundits in an industry of stupid cliches. He knows more about football and the running of a club than almost anyone else on tv.
Gave his life to the club? That is a bit much dont you think? Because he as born with a talent for football the club gave him a chance to have his hobby for a living and because of that he got rich and famous. His current job is because Manchester United gave him a chance in football. He was a great servant to the club but in my opinion Manchester United gave him his current life.

He has just as much right as anyone else to voice his opinion... he just has a larger audience than most people.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
How much of Gary Neville did you see?

I remember him was one of the most consistent right-backs in the PL and Europe, behind Cafu and Lahm respectively. Relatively quick, stamina in abundance which allowed him to get forward and provide support for Becks, brave in the tackle, and he had a top-notch cross in him to boot. He was also England's first-choice RB for the better part of a decade.

His Napolean-complex was hilarious too.

Kostur

海尔的老板
The first thing Neville said after the game finished.

"Initially I was fuming with Pogba," said the United great. "'Typical you, you’re selfish' Why are you even thinking of taking a penalty off a player?'
The sole fact that you had to cut the quote to fit your agenda tells you how much your whole point is worth.

"Initially I was fuming at Pogba as I thought 'typically you, you selfish, why are you trying to take a penalty off a player' but I'm holding off on it." Try quoting the whole thing the next time.

GiddyUp

Yeah I’ll listen to @GiddyUp in future instead, the erudite oracle of all things United. He clearly knows more than Neville
Were you drunk writing this? Where in the comment that you replied to did I say anything like that? What's wrong with you man?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
"We always said of Gary that he woke up angry. His was an argumentative nature. He is a forthright
guy. Where he sees error, sees flaws, he attacks them. His instinct was not to negotiate his way
through an impasse, but strike hard with his opinions. There was no consensus with Gary. He was
explosive. I would see a small issue escalate in his mind. But with me he knew where the limits of my
patience were. I would say: ‘Gary, go and annoy someone else.’ "

What Sir Alex wrote about Gary Neville
SAF was spot on..

GiddyUp

Gave his life to the club? That is a bit much dont you think? Because he as born with a talent for football the club gave him a chance to have his hobby for a living and because of that he got rich and famous. His current job is because Manchester United gave him a chance in football. He was a great servant to the club but in my opinion Manchester United gave him his current life.

He has just as much right as anyone else to voice his opinion... he just has a larger audience than most people.
fecking hell. Great way to dismiss a guy that has been United through and through his whole life. It really is amazing how people like Gary Neville are dismissed just because they criticize a self absorbed poser like Paul Pogba. Even though Neville is paid to be impartial I would bet he has more passion for this club watching United from his chair then Pogba does actually playing.

GiddyUp

The sole fact that you had to cut the quote to fit your agenda tells you how much your whole point is worth.

"Initially I was fuming at Pogba as I thought 'typically you, you selfish, why are you trying to take a penalty off a player' but I'm holding off on it." Try quoting the whole thing the next time.[/QUOTE
It appears that you can't level a fair criticism at Pogba without having an agenda or being racist. And when you do Pogba FC supporters go right off the deep end.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What has he said that isn't backed up by facts?

The fact that you disagree with him is irrelevant on the point of whether or not he's right.

Neville doesn't have to like Pogba just because 20 guys on twitter posted stupid things about him. I know a lot of people in this very thread usually say that people who dislike Pogba are stupid, brainwashed or plain racist but the fact of the matter is that it's OK to dislike or even hate Pogba. Sorry.
Why is it ok to hate Pogba?

wub1234

Supports
Don't support a team
I think the word 'agenda' should be banned from the forum. Why would Gary Neville have an 'agenda' against a Manchester United player? It's a completely baseless and spurious accusation.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I may be misinformed, and please let me know if I am.
But when it comes to topics like United, Pogba, Neville etc. Doesn't everyone have an agenda?
From reading this thread, from what I can gather having an agenda just boils down to having an opinion about United because you want the club to move in a certain direction, or maybe because you have a bias towards players that come from the academy etc.
In that case I'll hold my hands up and say I definitely have an agenda when it comes to United, is there anyone here who doesn't?
I just find it a bit odd to say Neville has an agenda as if that's a really negative thing, of course he has an agenda.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
He makes things too personal when it comes to United. That is not his job as a broadcaster. Ole needs to speak with him actually. It doesn't look good to the players that he's pals with Ole whilst he has full licence to say whatever he wishes about the players.
Constructive criticism is welcome, but the way and the tone in which he uses when he addresses players he doesn't personally like on our team, is actually detrimental.

He needs to calm things done because he's using a very influential platform to spout whatever comes into his head.

Stadjer

fecking hell. Great way to dismiss a guy that has been United through and through his whole life. It really is amazing how people like Gary Neville are dismissed just because they criticize a self absorbed poser like Paul Pogba. Even though Neville is paid to be impartial I would bet he has more passion for this club watching United from his chair then Pogba does actually playing.
Not at all that. Just think gave his life is a bit over the top.

Also i do think Pogba cares about United. He is a world class player who is wanted by Madrid. A club managed by a legend for every player but certainly a French midfielder and yet he plays his games for Manchester United without complaining eventhough he is forced into a midfield with McT and Jlingz. Pogba should be winning titles at this stage in his career and not be forced to play with those two. Yet he does play with them without complaining while receiving critisism and abuse every week.

Jig1234

"Initially I was fuming at Pogba as I thought 'typically you, you selfish, why are you trying to take a penalty off a player' but I'm holding off on it." Try quoting the whole thing the next time.

Is that all you have to say? The link to the full quote is is right there. Just click the link. I included it.

My point was on his opening remarks as the game ended. Comment with a constructive response that can be debated. Fair enough if you disagree with my opinion but you have not actually commented on anything I've said or given me a reason to think otherwise.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Didn’t Fergie call him out on his ott criticism of De Gea? I think the best route is to just ignore him but I wouldn’t mind seeing Ole pulling him up on his bs either.
Yes Sir Alex did. Ole needs to do something. Say something in much more polite terms than Sir Alex used:D

It's important for the players to know the gaffer has their back and isn't thinking the same as his mate Gary.

GiddyUp

Not at all that. Just think gave his life is a bit over the top.

Also i do think Pogba cares about United. He is a world class player who is wanted by Madrid. A club managed by a legend for every player but certainly a French midfielder and yet he plays his games for Manchester United without complaining eventhough he is forced into a midfield with McT and Jlingz. Pogba should be winning titles at this stage in his career and not be forced to play with those two. Yet he does play with them without complaining while receiving critisism and abuse every week.
Poor Paul Pogba, how can it ever be his fault. Yep, he doesn't complain, just insinuates in front of every camera that he wants to leave for a new challenge while ignoring the current predicament of this club. In fairness he puts up great stats but plays the game like a 5v5 in an Adidas commercial. That doesn't fly in this league and that's why he gets his arse handed to him on a consistant basis.
Also, just to correct you. Zidane wants him, Madrid and their fans do not.

GiddyUp

He makes things too personal when it comes to United. That is not his job as a broadcaster. Ole needs to speak with him actually. It doesn't look good to the players that he's pals with Ole whilst he has full licence to say whatever he wishes about the players.
Constructive criticism is welcome, but the way and the tone in which he uses when he addresses players he doesn't personally like on our team, is actually detrimental.

He needs to calm things done because he's using a very influential platform to spout whatever comes into his head.
Oh. So it's not what he said it's the way he said it. A lot of fecking snowflakes in this thread. His opinion on the penalty issue was the same as every other person paid to give their opinion on the match that day. It wasnt controversial and the criticism was fair. This is on Ole also. By all means let Rashford and Pogba share penalty duties but decide in the dressing room who takes it.
Neville has said plenty I disagree with but to say he has an agenda against one player or to blame his words for racist arseholes on the internet is just being silly. For reference listen to Souness when he comments on Pogba and just to be fair to Souness he does complement him when Pogba actually does something to justify his price tag.

Last edited:

fps

No because it doesn't matter, and the club commenting on what he's saying would be stooping to his level. Ultimately, the comments of pundits, and the general drooling, snivelling, negative posting of many weirdos online, doesn't actually matter in the slightest, it's not even background noise when they're doing their jobs day-to-day. It's everyone else who's got time to care about this stuff or dissect it, because it's the closest they can get to actually being part of the club and its workings.

fps

Because He did a tremendous job at Valencia, didn't He? I'm sorry I agree about the first part, not so much about this one.
By your logic, if Gary Neville is in no position to give an opinion, where on earth does that leave everyone else when they've never even had a job in football.

vangagal

Yes Sir Alex did. Ole needs to do something. Say something in much more polite terms than Sir Alex used:D

It's important for the players to know the gaffer has their back and isn't thinking the same as his mate Gary.
I dont mind Ole use the terms idiot to Gary again. It will be a sight to behold in caftards to defend which against which.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Poor Paul Pogba, how can it ever be his fault. Yep, he doesn't complain, just insinuates in front of every camera that he wants to leave for a new challenge while ignoring the current predicament of this club. In fairness he puts up great stats but plays the game like a 5v5 in an Adidas commercial. That doesn't fly in this league and that's why he gets his arse handed to him on a consistant basis.
Also, just to correct you. Zidane wants him, Madrid and their fans do not.
There's a good chance Zidane knows more about football than the Madrid hierarchy and their fans who even jeered Cristiano Ronaldo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think the word 'agenda' should be banned from the forum. Why would Gary Neville have an 'agenda' against a Manchester United player? It's a completely baseless and spurious accusation.
Because he's clearly been sucked in by all the press nonsense. He genuinely reads the papers and believes half the shit they make up about him.

He's daft enough to think Pogba ACTUALLY tweeted that message about Jose when he got sacked, when even Adidas themselves came out and said they did it as part of a promotional campaign.

He doesn't do this with any other player, only Pogba makes him lose his rag like this, and there's quite frankly no reason for it.

tenpoless

I may be misinformed, and please let me know if I am.
But when it comes to topics like United, Pogba, Neville etc. Doesn't everyone have an agenda?
From reading this thread, from what I can gather having an agenda just boils down to having an opinion about United because you want the club to move in a certain direction, or maybe because you have a bias towards players that come from the academy etc.
In that case I'll hold my hands up and say I definitely have an agenda when it comes to United, is there anyone here who doesn't?
I just find it a bit odd to say Neville has an agenda as if that's a really negative thing, of course he has an agenda.
Pretty sure a lot of posters talked about agenda as in not treating players or people equally, regardless of their performances related to ManUnited. Hasher to some while protecting the other.

wolvored

How much of Gary Neville did you see?

I remember him was one of the most consistent right-backs in the PL and Europe, behind Cafu and Lahm respectively. Relatively quick, stamina in abundance which allowed him to get forward and provide support for Becks, brave in the tackle, and he had a top-notch cross in him to boot. He was also England's first-choice RB for the better part of a decade.

His Napolean-complex was hilarious too.
Where does it say I didnt think Neville was a good player?

Robert

I see a lot of discussion of Nev the player. I think there’s a line to be drawn between the player and the pundit.

As a player, selfless, loyal, determined.

As a pundit selfish, bigoted, malicious.

GiddyUp

There's a good chance Zidane knows more about football than the Madrid hierarchy and their fans who even jeered Cristiano Ronaldo.
So you concede that Zidane is the only one who wants him. Why is it that no one knows anything about football unless you yourself say so? I could list a few clubs that could afford Pogba but couldn't be arsed even mentioning him this summer. Also, if Madrid fans jeer Ronaldo over his bullshit imagine what they would do to poor Paul. The fans of Pogba FC would have to go to war.

GiddyUp

I see a lot of discussion of Nev the player. I think there’s a line to be drawn between the player and the pundit.

As a player, selfless, loyal, determined.

As a pundit selfish, bigoted, malicious.
Ffs have a day off lad. This is what I've been saying. How is he bigoted? Because he criticized a player who happens to be black? Selfish? Malicious?
Where the feck do you get this from?

prateik

I have no issue with a person airing his opinion. He is free to do what he wants..

The issue is, because he is close to United, it can be assumed that his opinions are those of the club or the squad..
When he talked about United not being happy with Lukaku being overweight and how unprofessionalism can be contagious, most, or at least I, assumed he spoke to someone at the club and people werent happy with Lukakus fitness and professionalism..
When he talks about Pogba, its not too hard to imagine his opinions are reflecting the sentiments from within United.. even if they are not... and that is where the problem lies..

If it was just his opinion, not too many would care.. If people think Pogba is a problem behind the scenes, the idiots will feel justified in abusing the player.

Everything coming out of United, at all times, for years, suggests Pogba is great behind the scenes.

Easy solution .. Don't watch it.
I dont listen to or watch any "pundits" talk. I dont care for any of them..

I have said this before, I'll watch it every single time if they did a pre match analysis after the lineups were announced (1 hr before) and talked about how both teams would play, talk about tactics and talk about how they see the match playing out. Doesnt matter if they get it wrong.. but if they know about football more than me, tell me, in depth, what to expect..

I have no interest in "monday morning quaterbacks" drawing triangles on a touchscreen and picking 2 second clips to fit their narrative.