Will the club ever call Gary Neville out on his bs?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I dont mean to subdue freedom of speech. Gary can say what ever he likes, but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. If the club comes out and says, XYZ (either directed at Gary or not), it draws a line in the sand to say, you've over stepped the mark.
You are saying he has no right to comment on these things. No right. That's ridiculous. Not only does he have the right to comment on these matters, it's his job and the inherent danger of him doing so is close to zero. He also absolutely has a clue what he's talking about. He's been a player, he's been a manager and he's a club owner. If anything there are only a handful of people in the world that can draw from these experiences.

wolvored

The impression I got from your post was that Neville was made to look better than he was due to being surrounded by a higher class of player.
No I was trying to make the point he was lucky to play the time he did with superstars. If Pogba was 20 years older and played with the Beckhams Nevilles Scholes etc he wouldnt have been hounded for every mistake as the team generally won games and trophies. If we had been 3 up at halftime, nothing would have been made about missing the penalty and the drama surrounding it.

starman

:lol: This thread is ridiculous.

He is a paid pundit on Sky. A Television company that pays United and other PL teams vast amounts of money to cover their games. Anyone on their programmes can say what they like. Agree or disagree with it, taking it to heart is where the problem lies...

Foxbatt

Being a manager and running a football club are two different things. SAF also never ran Manchester United. He only ran the footballing side of things and Gill handled the other issues. Football clubs are now huge business and you need business acumen to run it. Maybe Arsene was the only Manager who probably had a say in how Arsenal was run after David Dein retired. But Arsene has a Masters in Economics so he has the academic background to handle that side of things too.

matt10000

This place is turning into a shit hole.

Imagine creating a thread to say a pundit shouldn't comment on football events, especially one who has spent decades at said club. Absurd
haha oh the irony.....people on a forum where you express your opinion on football events, they are here expressing their opinions about football events and expressing their opinion that others shouldn't express their opinion on football events - bonkers!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
You watch ex-Liverpool players talk about Liverpool, they always defend them, always praise them. And then always criticising United over every like detail. Gary seems to like to act like he was a Liverpool player too, is this to fit in? Because negative United stories generate clicks?
They do now as they can see progress and are rightly enjoying the football.

Go back to the days of Hodgson, Rodgers , Houllier and Benitez, and you’ll find very strong criticism of the club and players

RedRover

It’s a recent development that people think it’s legitimate to be offended by the opinions of others.

Neville is, in my view a good pundit. Knowledgeable about the game given his career and current experience. I may not agree with his opinion on something but he’s entitled to it.

I don’t understand how anyone can think any different.

RedRover

Go back to the days of Hodgson, Rodgers , Houllier and Benitez, and you’ll find very strong criticism of the club and players
He’s criticising because that’s his opinion. What’s wrong with him being honest? A lot of what he says is perfectly reasonable.

When I watch a pundit I want his opinion, not cheerleading for his old club.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He’s criticising because that’s his opinion. What’s wrong with him being honest? A lot of what he says is perfectly reasonable.

When I watch a pundit I want his opinion, not cheerleading for his old club.
I've no idea what you're talking about.

I was addressing the point that, 'ex Liverpool players don't criticise their team.'

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Of course I'm biased, but after tuning in to watch Liverpool lose, I've always been amazed at how gently they're handled by the in game commentators especially, going back to 2006, anyway. I figure they know Liverpool fans are aware they weren't world beaters (until last year), and didn't want them losing heart. Meanwhile, nothing gets more clicks then a negative United story, so every Ashley Young dive is front page news, and is pointed out by the commentator, meanwhile Saurez did it 10 times a game to silence. And, of course, the media is full of ex Liverpool players and those who watched them play in their pomp. The treatment of everything the two clubs does has always seemed wildly skewed to me.

Snuffkin

The treatment of everything the two clubs does has always seemed wildly skewed to me.
You are right. The scouse mafia never turn on their own. Admirable in a way. We've got Keane and Scholes weighing in whenever they are offered a cheque. Neither offer anything remotely lucid. The Nevilles aren't so bad but they are always subordinate when duelling with the likes of Carragher.

Mr PG

Like I've said in other posts he selects his targets and has biases. He won't criticise the English players but will instead blindly defend them like he did with his brother and Moyes.

Wayne Rooney did far worse than Pogba on a number of occassions but Neville didn't criticise Rooney for being unprofessional. He actually praised him instead believe it or not. Compare that to how he spoke regarding Lukaku's unprofessional behaviour..

Neville is someone that isn't a straight shooter like a Roy Keane when it comes to giving a honest opinion. There's always agenda's with Neville whilst agree or disagree with Keane, he will say it how it is.
So true.

Melville Red

I dont mean to subdue freedom of speech. Gary can say what ever he likes, but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. If the club comes out and says, XYZ (either directed at Gary or not), it draws a line in the sand to say, you've over stepped the mark.
What’s this “mark” you speak of? As long as he doesn’t break the law with any of his comments then he can say what he wants. All I hear is a bunch of fans whining that a successful ex player now speaks as he finds about an over rated player who more often than not costs Utd points.
I’m bitterly disappointed that Pogba wasn’t sold, his performances so far won’t exactly get Madrid making a last minute world record bid that Utd will find impossible to turn down.
No Neville talks a lot of sense and doesn’t wear rose tinted glasses.

Melville Red

No I was trying to make the point he was lucky to play the time he did with superstars. If Pogba was 20 years older and played with the Beckhams Nevilles Scholes etc he wouldnt have been hounded for every mistake as the team generally won games and trophies. If we had been 3 up at halftime, nothing would have been made about missing the penalty and the drama surrounding it.
Oh please don’t me laugh, and who would Pogba replace in those teams you speak of?

RedRover

I've no idea what you're talking about.

I was addressing the point that, 'ex Liverpool players don't criticise their team.'
My point is that a pundit should be honest, not support a team he used to play for. That's not punditry. I can take or leave most pundits to be honest, but i expect them to give an opinion. That's the point of it.

If the criticism of Neville is he doesn't blindly support United then I find that bizarre. He's entitled to his opinion, whether you (or anyone) agrees with it or not. That's what he gets paid for and the fact that he isn't scared to be controversial is probably why he earns have a million a year on Sky.

wolvored

Oh please don’t me laugh, and who would Pogba replace in those teams you speak of?
You are completely missing the point. Ok if Beckham/Scholes/Keane/Giggs had have taken a pen in front of Cole and missed but we had have scored 3 goals in the first half, he wouldnt have been called out for missing it. End of story.

djembatheking

Pogba wouldn`t get near that team with those midfielders in their prime . Fergie brought a 37 year Scholes out of retirement instead of playing a young Pogba .

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
"Gary can start an argument in a empty room", said SAF...or was that Roy Keane he was referring too?
I think that's Keane. Sir Alex would tackle Gaz with all his analysis and tapping on the tablet by encourging him to go and bother someone else.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Neville just says things when he's angry too often. Hed be pretty good on here. In that he'd infuriate everyone.

I would say it's down to his passion for the club but he's just as bad with other teams. Like with his anti Arsenal crusade where he constantly criticised everything about the club but then accused arsenal fans of being idiots for doing exactly the same thing.

matt10000

You are completely missing the point. Ok if Beckham/Scholes/Keane/Giggs had have taken a pen in front of Cole and missed but we had have scored 3 goals in the first half, he wouldnt have been called out for missing it. End of story.
no one gets called out for missing a pen when you are 3 up! What a pointless waste of font.