Will the English ever bloody forgive Mr Pigeon? No

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I watched a bit of his movie that was on Channel 4 last night, I've recorded it so I'll watch the rest of it during the week - he was one tough son of a gun. Are the English actually still mad at him for the Hand of God? If I were English I'd be more mad at Peter Shilton for allowing Maradona out jump him. I've played competitive GAA since I was 8 years old and during that time I've always had the mentality to do whatever it takes to win, even if it means bending the rules sometime - it's up to the referee's to stop you. Henry used his hand against us in 2009 but I never really think about that when I hear his name, I just remember the outstanding player he was at Arsenal.
You really can't liken ireland going out to henry to england going out in a world cup quarter final when they had a chance of winning the whole thing.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Seriously? Hires a bodybuilder as his personal trainer, one who was previously involved in a doping scandal and then claims to have been duped when he tests positive. It’s just your standard bullshit excuse from a doper when they’re caught.
More like argentina's chief medic put him in contact with the guy

But the point is, whether you believe the ephedrine was accidental or not, or whether maradona was aware of it or not, is that there is zero suggestion that it was more than an isolated incident

Classical Mechanic

More like argentina's chief medic put him in contact with the guy

But the point is, whether you believe the ephedrine was accidental or not, or whether maradona was aware of it or not, is that there is zero suggestion that it was more than an isolated incident
He was doing an insane crash diet with a doper bodybuilder, of course he was doping all the way up that tournament. Water is wet.

I said you have to be naive to believe he was ever a clean athlete and I think that’s pretty obvious.

Gasolin

That handling was bad, but for me, it was the greatest player ever. Not just the technical skills, but the ability to lift everyone around him, the aura.
And that second goal was speechless, no?

lsd

The Oracle
Loved what Maradona did and they were much the better side anyway . England would never have scored had Argentina not been 2 up and eased up.

As for Henry though he can burn in hell the cheating cvnt :devil:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He was doing an insane crash diet with a doper bodybuilder, of course he was doping all the way up that tournament. Water is wet.

I said you have to be naive to believe he was ever a clean athlete and I think that’s pretty obvious.
The only time he was caught with a PED was at USA 94, under very specific and unique circumstances

If you think maradona wasn't clean, you can just as easily extend that to any athlete, ever, pretty much

Classical Mechanic

The only time he was caught with a PED was at USA 94, under very specific and unique circumstances

If you think maradona wasn't clean, you can just as easily extend that to any athlete, ever, pretty much
It isn’t specific or unique though, every doper has a story about how the world conspired against them to give them a positive test. It’s off the shelf stuff.

Foxbatt

I love Diego Maradona. He was a lovable rascal. I have seen him kicked and punched all the time. He retaliated only once.
I luv it when the English get upset with him. His second goal was probably one of the best goals scored in a World Cup finals. (To me the best goal was scored by Saudi Arabia's Saeed Al Owairan against Belgium in 1994 ).
He always accept that he punched it. Never denied it.
The best football player the world has ever seen so far.

Robertd0803

Watching the match I was more surprised by how slow the England players were. People said they should have chopped him down early, but I think only the player who even had a chance was Peter Reid and he was left eating dust and put in a half-arsed effort in tracking back. Terry Butcher completely had no chance. He was sidestepped and torched. The last man Terry Fenwich was already on yellow so no way he was going to foul him.
I always saw it as Maradona was just on a whole other level and the defenders were simply never going to get near him.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I love Diego Maradona. He was a lovable rascal. I have seen him kicked and punched all the time. He retaliated only once.
I luv it when the English get upset with him. His second goal was probably one of the best goals scored in a World Cup finals. (To me the best goal was scored by Saudi Arabia's Saeed Al Owairan against Belgium in 1994 ).
He always accept that he punched it. Never denied it.
The best football player the world has ever seen so far.
He was punched in the face that very game which pissed him off even more.

And you're right, the way he would literally get the shit kicked out of him and he wouldn't complain he would just get up and get on with it, imo that's one of his most admirable qualities. None of the modern players with the current mentality and protections would be able to adjust for that era, you can only imagine what Maradona would be like in the modern game.

thepolice123

He was punched in the face that very game which pissed him off even more.

And you're right, the way he would literally get the shit kicked out of him and he wouldn't complain he would just get up and get on with it, imo that's one of his most admirable qualities. None of the modern players with the current mentality and protections would be able to adjust for that era, you can only imagine what Maradona would be like in the modern game.
You can be sure he definitely would be a scummy cheat and diver in the mould of Suarez. That man would do anything to win.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
People forget Argentina were 2-0 up, if his goal was disallowed I really doubt England would have got equalizer. They allowed the 2-1 because it was late and they were more relaxed

Redcy

People forget Argentina were 2-0 up, if his goal was disallowed I really doubt England would have got equalizer. They allowed the 2-1 because it was late and they were more relaxed

As far as I remember Argentina were at 0-0 when he scored that goal, yes they were the better side, but there is nothing to say we could not have won it. they went 2-0 up because were completely rocked by that goal.

Stacks

I never felt the need to forgive him. Forgive him for what? He doesn't owe us anything. He deceived the linesman and ref so that his country can beat ours. reminds me of players who simulate and dive to win pens. Sometimes you gotta be a little clever and he was doing it for Argentina as he has no care for England and owes us nothing. They are trying to knock us out. Its kill or be killed

TGK

Supports
Liverpool
Hated him for a while, I was 12 in '86.....cried a bit. Over it now. Still probably the best player I've ever seen, and he did it getting some serious attention from 'defenders'.

No one can say he became a likeable human being.

To be fair the last song I heard about him, and it wasn't that long ago, was being sung by Scotland fans.....and they weren't even playing England.

MikeeMike

Nothing to do with "the English", ask Irish fans about Henry or Ghanians about Suarez.
It’s the shambolic refereeing that should be in question... VAR , although still a long way from perfect, would have sorted many of the blatant calls. Again , if the Suarez handball was an English player we’d all be celebrating..

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I
btw it's worth saying the hand of god wasn't in the 90th minute. The winning goal was this

:drool:
Controversial comments coming up.

I've never got the hype over this goal.

Good obviously, great no (seen Messi score a few of these and better). And Goal of the century title is clearly silly (we all know that's John O'Sheas Vs Liverpool... left half the team on their arses).

He runs away from Reid (twice) who looks like a Dad runner finishing the London marathon. Guess heat had an impact... someone used to it vs a 30 year old (who'd missed half the season?)

Then Fenwick who was an average player (hard to believe that England couldn't find ONE better CH than him? Just one!) and made some pathetic attempt ... someone else said he was on a yellow?

Then Butcher makes a decent effort and was close to him. And he rounds Shilton who was 73 or something.

A struggling midfielder, an average defender on a yellow then just beats Butcher.

To be clear, I think Maradona was one of the best players I've ever seen (top few) and his close control was phenomenal (including in that goal) but it's over-rated imo because of the shite 'tackles' and the space they gave him. At least Belgium were tightly packed (and he still scored against them).

:) be nice.

MikeeMike

I

Controversial comments coming up.

I've never got the hype over this goal.

Good obviously, great no (seen Messi score a few of these and better). And Goal of the century title is clearly silly (we all know that's John O'Sheas Vs Liverpool... left half the team on their arses).

He runs away from Reid (twice) who looks like a Dad runner finishing the London marathon. Guess heat had an impact... someone used to it vs a 30 year old (who'd missed half the season?)

Then Fenwick who was an average player (hard to believe that England couldn't find ONE better CH than him? Just one!) and made some pathetic attempt ... someone else said he was on a yellow?

Then Butcher makes a decent effort and was close to him. And he rounds Shilton who was 73 or something.

A struggling midfielder, an average defender on a yellow then just beats Butcher.

To be clear, I think Maradona was one of the best players I've ever seen (top few) and his close control was phenomenal (including in that goal) but it's over-rated imo because of the shite 'tackles' and the space they gave him. At least Belgium were tightly packed (and he still scored against them).

:) be nice.
Actually pretty much true but nt many players could do that. Also , everyone i know still moans that Reid didnt “take hime out” which is ironic after Handball goal..

Demyanenko_square_jaw

I think with those sort of goals there is always going to be ways to pick apart some of the defending. Someone has to make a mistake or two for them to happen, be it a bad tackle or a positioning error.

It's also the occasion that i guess is why it'll get rated higher than other similar or even more intricate runs. Messi for all his undoubted greatness didn't seem to even try to set anything like that run up in any of his knockout world cup games.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
You need to see the goal in the context of the match. The highlight doesn't do it justice. He ups the tempo from nowhere.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
One of the unheralded qualities of the goal is how he has such masterful control of a bobbling ball. The Aztec pitch was so poor that the ball never stayed on the ground, it was always jumping up off the surface. He's often having to take his touches with his ankle or lower shin to adapt to the erratic surface. Yet on a pitch which should simply be a big leveller and work against technical players, he carries the ball through defences like a hot knife through butter.

Brophs

The One and Only
Slightly reminds me of the aftermath of the Henry handball when they had some bloke being interviewed on radio and they asked if the Irish could ever forgive Henry and he said, live on air, “Tbh, I never liked him in the first place. He seems like an awful smug bollox” so, I guess what I’m saying is that sometimes the average fan gets it right.

Josh 76

No one has ever mentioned that Maradona took on 3 England players on before he got the ball back from Hodge to hand the ball into the net.

Think the English media and players can't forgive him because that afternoon in Mexico he toyed with the lot of them. It was like a 16 year old kid playing against 8 year olds.

Denis' cuff

Slightly reminds me of the aftermath of the Henry handball when they had some bloke being interviewed on radio and they asked if the Irish could ever forgive Henry and he said, live on air, “Tbh, I never liked him in the first place. He seems like an awful smug bollox” so, I guess what I’m saying is that sometimes the average fan gets it right.

but only when it affects Oirland?