Will the teams who play midweek in the PL have the advantage or disadvantage at the weekend?

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Villa, Sheffield United, Arsenal and Man.City all kick of the restart early by courtesy of having a game in hand which will mean at the weekend when they play Chelsea, Newcastle, Brighton and Burnley respectively they will be on their second game with those opponents playing their first.

Main question of this topic is who will have the advantage in those games? Will it be the former four teams with the additional match fitness? or will two games in a week after months without competive action be too much leaving the advantage for the latter four teams with the fresher legs?

MUFromLTU

I think those who DON'T play at midweek will have an advantage.

From several games I've seen in past days, players look to get fatigued way earlier than before the pause and will probably take few weeks before they reach the optimal fitness levels. Don't know what the weather will be in the UK then, but if it's hot, it will make the difference bigger.

SambaBoy

I think those who DON'T play at midweek will have an advantage.

From several games I've seen in past days, players look to get fatigued way earlier than before the pause and will probably take few weeks before they reach the optimal fitness levels. Don't know what the weather will be in the UK then, but if it's hot, it will make the difference bigger.
On the other hand, you could say those teams will have an advantage as they will have an extra games fitness being played at a competitive level whilst the team they play at the weekend will not.

georgipep

For me it's more about the fixtures list then who gets the early games. Look at Sheffield United, for example, they have a relegation favourite and 5 top4 chasers in their first 7 games. I can't see how having a couple of days headstart with fitness is going to negate the fact that their players will be up against the best/most motivated teams in the league.

I'm not allowed to post images yet but look at this fixtures table: https://ibb.co/NnXdSrk

Reactions: Invictus