Will there ever be a Woman Premier League manager?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Well it would be great if it took a woman in the managerial role to realize that maybe managers in general have been receiving too much flack and toxicity
Getting worked up thinking about how the woke mob won't let me baselessly accuse women managers of being paedophiles.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Why do you think that is?
There are many reasons why, who knows, but they don't choose the managerial career as often as european players do.

Also why are there barely any french,belgian,danish, swedish etc managers in top 4 leagues? They are white too.

Are La Liga, Serie A, PL xenophobic to french, belgians, danish, etc so they seem to avoid them as managers? Cause as far as i know they mostly manage in their respective national league unlike spanish,dutch,italians, and germans.

atkar83

If there's a 'Pep' in the WSL who dominates for a while and constantly wins trophies with tactics despite the roster than I don't see why a 2nd or 1st div team wouldn't give her a go. Straight to PL is unlikely, she would have to bring the team up from Championship

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There are many reasons why, who knows, but they don't choose the managerial career as often as european players do.
I think Black players probably correctly assume that the odds are stacked against them in management, due to racism.

Baxquux

In principle, there are innumerably better qualified in terms of tactical sophistication, training/staff management etc) female managers compared to the 'boys club' old and new. In practice, it's hard enough getting players to take male American managers seriously despite their coaching experience and (quite often) ivy league credentials - don't know if Ted Lasso has made this better or worse - and so much of management is about barely quantifiable 'buy-in' and 'credibility', so, I guess it would take an exceptional trail-blazer or something, maybe a female manager hired by a particularly-progressive Championship outfit who then took her team up to the PL and overperformed there to make this more 'normal'...

KeanoMagicHat

That's absurd... Netherlands, Germany, and Italy have provided one of the best managers ever in history of Football, that's why most teams choose managers from those countries, not because they are white.
British managers are white too, and no proper top club wants to hire british managers nowadays, because most of them are outdated when it comes to tactics.

Also you seem to forget that there aren't many black managers out there, because not many black players choose the managerial career when they retire.
What's absurd about it? That's exactly the point, more managers are going to be chosen from those countries because of that and it's a self-fulfilling cycle. They have more chances to be successful than others, they have some success and then even more are chosen as a 'safe' pair of hands. If there is a similar level ability manager from Germany or from South Africa, which manager is chosen? It will be the German.

Why are there so few black managers, given how so many great players were black? There is a reason they don't choose that career, because things aren't put on a silver plate for them, they really have to graft too hard for opportunities. They simply don't have the 'right' look. A poor manager like Lampard gets lots of chances because he has the 'right' look and sounds right.

You're right it's not just a black thing, it's also Asian, Arab and other less heralded countries. To reference that Guardian article, Postecoglu was doubted when he first arrived at Celtic, despite being a good manager, because having managing in Japan and Australia was not enough.

Pitso Mosimane has won 5 leagues in South Africa, then moved to Asia and won 3 Asian Champions Leagues. Walid Regragui got Morocco to the semi-finals of the World Cup. But no sign of any opportunities for them.

“I think it’s impossible that Manchester City or Barcelona will bring an African or Arab coach, they don’t even think about it, as if we’re not worthy, as if we are ignorant in football, or we’re incapable of such a task,” he said.

Might come across as a little bitter or deluded for him to be getting those jobs - yet there is something in it about managers having to fit a certain profile. Which is why ex-players with no experience often end up ahead of the queue over managers that don't fit a certain profile.

Zen

Almost certainly, yes. And not as far off as some think either. But I guess that depends on what you consider timescales of 'ever' and 'not far off'.

I'd personally say it's gonna happen at some point by 2033. Find me some odds on it to see if I'd be willing to back it :lol:

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
I think Black players probably correctly assume that the odds are stacked against them in management, due to racism.
It is on them to test the waters in all honesty.

That doesn’t stop it from being the truth. It’s a complexity that’s not going away any time soon.

Doracle

Is there any real incentive for a top WSL manager to switch to being a conference or lower level manager in the men’s game? It’s a hard battle to then work their way up and they get paid good money in the WSL.

foolsgold

Is there any real incentive for a top WSL manager to switch to being a conference or lower level manager in the men’s game? It’s a hard battle to then work their way up and they get paid good money in the WSL.
It's a higher standard of football, I'm entirely convinced any conference team would easily dominate the WSL. I see no reason for a manager with ambition not to want to test themselves.

'I don't see a situation where the first female manager in the mens game would be at the very top level. Likely it will happen in the lower leagues, become normalised and then they will gradually rise to the top. It's like politics, the first female mp in the UK was in 1918, first female cabinet minister was in 1929 but they didn't become common till the 60s, first female PM in 79. Now no one would bat an eyelid at the prospect. Football will be the same.

Peelhead

That fit Chelsea physio is as close as we've come.
oh yeah, was that the one jose had some barney with because she hadn't been told to treat the player?

I'm old enough to remember Cherie Lunghi haha and Thatcher so I can see it happening at some point, if results happen then they'll hire a flipping alien from zeta reticuli. On a serious note I would like to see more work continue on getting black managers better representation and Asian / Middle Eastern players into the game.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I simply don’t see male players treating them with the respect that a male coach would demand. Simply because they would he thinking “what have you achieved in the game?”
Sorry but I can’t see it anytime soon
There are plenty of male managers who have had little or no playing career. Mourinho, Thomas Frank and Steve Cooper to name three. If someone is good enough, their sex (should be ) irrelevant.

Von Mistelroum

Probably. There will be some club who wants to tick that box and show how progressive they are, but I can't imagine there being a successful one.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
There are plenty of male managers who have had little or no playing career. Mourinho, Thomas Frank and Steve Cooper to name three. If someone is good enough, their sex (should be ) irrelevant.
I agree it should be irrelevant, but I think we all know what kind of nonsense will be thrown around if they aren’t successful

padr81

Supports
Man City
Probably. There will be some club who wants to tick that box and show how progressive they are, but I can't imagine there being a successful one.
Why? Are we to genuinely think Emma Hayes doesn't know football or Casey Stoney. Doesn't it very much depend on who gets appointed? Or are we to believe theres not a single woman capable of coaching a top level football team out of 4 billion on the planet?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Why? Are we to genuinely think Emma Hayes doesn't know football or Casey Stoney. Doesn't it very much depend on who gets appointed? Or are we to believe theres not a single woman capable of coaching a top level football team out of 4 billion on the planet?
Tell you what, kick pep out and you guys take the plunge first then let us know how you get on

padr81

Supports
Man City
Carlos Alberto Perreira won a world cup and never played any level of pro football. Arrigo Sacchi wasn't even a pro footballer of any level either and won two champions leagues.
Guy Roux is a legend at Auxerre.

Roy Hodgson never played above non-league.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Tell you what, kick pep out and you guys take the plunge first then let us know how you get on
Why would we kick out the best manager in the world to prove a point? Its honestly the argument of someone who has no point. But if Emma Hayes or someone gave the best interview and had the best credentials post Pep then sure. Top level football isn't just teams chasing the CL though and she'd have a tougher time interviewing at a team chasing the CL then one lower and working up.

As for players not listening to the manager based on their careers, look at legendary player Frank Lampard and never kicked a ball professionally Arrigo Sacchi to how moot that point is.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
What a terrible post. Why could there not be a successful one?

Von Mistelroum

Well I look at the level of women's football and it never looks high quality, high speed, high intensity really. It's like a different game and I don't think the skill set and knowledge transfers over. Just can't see it, but I guess we'll see.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Well I look at the level of women's football and it never looks high quality, high speed, high intensity really. It's like a different game and I don't think the skill set and knowledge transfers over. Just can't see it, but I guess we'll see.
A lot of the most successful managers were pretty average/crap players, successful players that you would think would know all the ins and outs of football have turned out to be crap managers more often than not, think Lampard, Gerrard, Keane, Neville for the latter, for the former, SAF, Shankly, Paisley

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
A lot of the most successful managers were pretty average/crap players, successful players that you would think would know all the ins and outs of football have turned out to be crap managers more often than not, think Lampard, Gerrard, Keane, Neville for the latter, for the former, SAF, Shankly, Paisley
I agree with your overall point, but SAF was far from an average / crap player. He was better than a goal every other game.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I agree with your overall point, but SAF was far from an average / crap player. He was better than a goal every other game.
171 goals in 317 games but Rangers was his only really top club, but it's better than I had thought

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Carlos Alberto Perreira won a world cup and never played any level of pro football. Arrigo Sacchi wasn't even a pro footballer of any level either and won two champions leagues.
Guy Roux is a legend at Auxerre.

Roy Hodgson never played above non-league.
Yes but they didnt just go straight into a top job.
Top women coaches are coaching players who are the equivalent of u16/u18 male teams so that should be their starting level. Then the elite can work there way up to potentially a Championship/Premier job.
To do anything different would just be taking a stupid punt and hoping for a miracle.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I can see a woman PL manager in next decade. Social attitudes are changing quickly and the fact that women are beginning to coach male youth teams, suggests its bound to happen in the next decade or so.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Yes but they didnt just go straight into a top job.
Top women coaches are coaching players who are the equivalent of u16/u18 male teams so that should be their starting level. Then the elite can work there way up to potentially a Championship/Premier job.
To do anything different would just be taking a stupid punt and hoping for a miracle.
Nobody is suggesting that women are going to go straight in to a PL job, the premise that none would ever get to that level is TBH pathetic

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
The way the game is evolving surely it's just a matter of time.

Pronewbie

Peep
By merit in this decade, I'd bet no, although I wouldn't be surprised by an anomaly. More likely thereafter. I think we'll start to see more female coaches on the benches, though.

Matthew84!

Perhaps if a female gets a job in the lower leagues and does very well but to just cherry pick 1 for a prem job I can't see happening any time soon.

Marcelinho87

I don’t really see why not. If you can do the job well then that shouldn’t be a problem. Just don’t let the intrusive thoughts win for the love of god.
If established managers like Potter can't go without abuse then unfortunately women have absolutely zero chance.

poleglass red

Hard to see to be honest. Look at the reaction Spurs fans are showing for Posteocglu potentially getting their job, he's an experienced club manager and ex national team manager, albeit at a lower level, but still. They'd have to maybe start lower down in maybe championship or league one, but even then, how many managers these days go from those clubs to a PL club, there's been a few but not many. I'd say maybe working as an assistant or one of the coaching staff might be an easier achievement in the short term. if Chris Armas can get coaching jobs at PL teams, then why can't a women.