Will things get better or worse next season?

fastwalker

And not just signing them, keeping them and renewing their contracts over and over 'to protect their value.'

The whole squad should have been refreshed by now. By Klopp's third season at Liverpool he'd brought in pretty much 20 new players.

Our coaches sit in press conferences and say X can go. Then the club blocks the sales. If you're in the dressing room why would you listen to the coach then? You know, even if you're crap, you're far more likely to be here in a year or two than them. Then you get Scholes going on BT and talking about needing a coach who inspires fear?! :lol: Nobody is going to be afraid of any coach who is publicly undercut by the Board. Can't understand why they cant see that?
Totally agree. But who did we entrust with this important task? A combination of incompetents, incapables and short-term thinkers. Klopp was always a builder. He built at Dortmund. Liverpool knew exactly what they needed and they got who they wanted. I am fed up of people who describe the appointment of Klopp as a fluke. Liverpool did the due diligence as part of their manager recruitment. Undoubtedly FSG have had their fingers burned with Dalglish and Rogers, but when it fails what do you do? You reflect learn lessons and make sure that you get it right next time. Just look at how their player recruitment has improved over the years. This is the same club that wasted millions on Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam, Mario Balotelli and Christian Benteke. Today they get it right more often that not. Look at Van Dijk, Salah, Mane, Robertson, Fabinho, Jota, Matip and now Diaz.

The idea that they just 'chanced' their way into a good management appointment almost implies that we can continue to excuse our series of incompetent appointments on the basis that it is just bad luck. Right from the get go, it was clear that Moyes who had won nothing would not be right for United. Likewise it was always on the cards that Mourinho would fall out with the club after three years and right on cue, that is exactly what he did. Ole was simply a kid in a sweet shop, unbelieving that the job of his dreams had simply fallen into his lap without him having to do a single thing to earn it.

I think we will need a similar Liverpool-like clear out. Off the top of my head I would like to see at least 10 -12 out of the club including four of five of those routinely selected for the first team. That won't happen immediately, probably two or three windows as we transition and recycle funds.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It won’t, people just love to paint a picture that we’re no better than Layton Orient and the club should be deleted. As always with United, everything is an extreme. We’re shit but we’re not mid table shit.
That's how it could get worse! We're only 5th, could easily come lower. Moyesie took a Fergie title winning squad to 7th, so the next guy could definitely take this mob lower.

Kag

Worse, absolutely.

We’re going to lose a huge number of players in the summer (not that they’ll be missed) and we are incapable of addressing so many problem areas in the same window.

We need a striker and there isn’t one out there. We need midfielders and there aren’t too many out there. We’ve needed another right back for an age and I’m not sure there are many options out there.

We hardly have luck on our side either, mind. Our one and only truly brilliant homegrown prodigy turns out to be a possible rapist and will, in all likelihood, never kick a ball for us again.That situation is a lot bigger than football, granted, but worth pointing out nonetheless.

I feel for the mental health of the folk who genuinely believe that some fancy Dan from the Netherlands is going to come in and revolutionise this club. It’s puzzling to say the least.

Luke1995

Not sure you need the best players, or what are perceived to be the best players. You need the right coach for this club who can turn players into the best players. All you need is another load of big heads who think they know better than the manager.
I had hope that Ralf could be that coach. That is gone now. What was he thinking by throwing in Rashford and Juan Mata ?

Luke1995

Yeah I agree with this. Considering how many players we need, I'd take a few risks on 5 or 6 players for the £20-25m mark who could go one way or the other and just hope that 2 or 3 fulfill their potentials.

Easier said than done of course.
Hopefully these players would be from the PL or another top league. Not from the championship for example.

cabbs1989

I feel it will get better, this personally has been the worse season I remember as a fan even worse than moyes, players not putting effort in, downing tools, players out of contract, players who we paid stupid money for being usless, players with huge potential either never to play again or suddenly done at 24.

There are some bright spots, varane sancho Fred, elanga, mctominay, some decent starters & squad options, something has to give this summer, think the penny has dropped the state we are in & steps such as rangnick are the first signs of recovery

C'est Moi Cantona

I can accept about 10 players out, 3 players in, choosen solely by the new manager and Rangnick, with the likes of Garner, Hannibal, and Amad, regularly in the matchday sqaud, and been worse, but I think it would highly unlikely as this season has been so demoralising bad, and we will have a far better manager in the place.

What I can't accept is us just letting Lingard, Cavani, Jones, and Mata go, paying out for Pogba, getting Martial back in, relying on Ronaldo for goals again, and seeing Maguire, AWB, and McFred all over again, and then having the same conversations this time next year.

Hughie77

Has to be better, new manager in, players out Squad depth has to decrease, and more quality brought in instead of quantity. Main aim is to get the right manager in.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Totally agree. But who did we entrust with this important task? A combination of incompetents, incapables and short-term thinkers. Klopp was always a builder. He built at Dortmund. Liverpool knew exactly what they needed and they got who they wanted. I am fed up of people who describe the appointment of Klopp as a fluke. Liverpool did the due diligence as part of their manager recruitment. Undoubtedly FSG have had their fingers burned with Dalglish and Rogers, but when it fails what do you do? You reflect learn lessons and make sure that you get it right next time. Just look at how their player recruitment has improved over the years. This is the same club that wasted millions on Andy Carroll, Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam, Mario Balotelli and Christian Benteke. Today they get it right more often that not. Look at Van Dijk, Salah, Mane, Robertson, Fabinho, Jota, Matip and now Diaz.

The idea that they just 'chanced' their way into a good management appointment almost implies that we can continue to excuse our series of incompetent appointments on the basis that it is just bad luck. Right from the get go, it was clear that Moyes who had won nothing would not be right for United. Likewise it was always on the cards that Mourinho would fall out with the club after three years and right on cue, that is exactly what he did. Ole was simply a kid in a sweet shop, unbelieving that the job of his dreams had simply fallen into his lap without him having to do a single thing to earn it.

I think we will need a similar Liverpool-like clear out. Off the top of my head I would like to see at least 10 -12 out of the club including four of five of those routinely selected for the first team. That won't happen immediately, probably two or three windows as we transition and recycle funds.
Problem with the Dippers, is that, yeah, you're right, Klopp is a builder. Problem for them, is when he leaves can they insert another manager that can do the same. Equally, once he goes, will they continue their success rate of buying players or is it that he makes the signings work?

Only when Klopp leaves, will we have the answer to whether it is him, or the system. If it is him, then they will revert back to where they were or go on a post-SAF/current Utd trajectory.

Lentwood

That very much depends how much appetite we have for pain and what you mean by 'better'?

For me, 'better' would be sell every single player who earns over £200K, bring in 6/7 young, hungry signings from La Liga, Ligue Un, the Bundesliga and South America and fill the rest of the gaps with Academy lads.

Couldn't then give a monkeys where we actually finish, because it'd feel cathartic to finally see the door closed on the 'Adult Disneyland' era of failure presided over by Ed Woodward and a fresh new modern, humble approach taken

SER19

Despite some shocking seasons, i think relatively speaking this has been the worst post Moyes. A complete catastrophe across all comps and an off field nightmare too. Can't get worse

hobbers

Depends how much of the dross we manage to get rid of in the summer.

I'd rather get rid of more of the dead weight and high earners and finish worse in the league than paper over the cracks and scrape into 4th.

Winrar

We're headed to a way of fallen giant, and you can even argue we're there already.

Most players just don't seem to be arsed, and every position seems like a problem area.

This rot is clearly above the manager as seen in the past... decade. Still lots of deadwood taking up tons in paycheck with little to show for their value.

Saving grace for us is that we still carry a name brand and have lots of money. It's unfortunate that we have to lower expectations in the short term, but we need a serious breath of fresh air.

But I'm afraid if we continue lingering at this level, this damage will be completely irreversible.

Teja

Easily better. But do we ever get good enough to challenge the top two consistently again?

Denis79

My expectations will be very low next season, so I guess it will get better?

Statue of Limitations

I think we have skirted close to as bad as it can get tbh, smashed by Watford was abysmal.
We have a good core, need to trim the useless / deadwood players and bring in solid players with good work ethic, and of course the right Boss.

I think it gets better, not just because there isn't much scope to get worse, but I think enough alarm bells have gone off at this stage to avoid any repeats. I hope.

Chelsea, CIty and Pool cleaning up on the trophies - whichever way it splits - should sting everyone at every level of the club.

jesperjaap

Bruno was a gem signing, but we need to find ones that cost a lot less than him. We still need a DM even if we utilise McT because he sure as hell isn't a DM, he has no discipline which is why we are wide open through the middle.
G9oing against the grain some what, but less currently it seems "was a gem signing" may be spot on. people can keep bringing in these stats but the truth is Bruno hasnt been great for some time, just so many others so much worse that he is escaping critism for his first six months here

Frank Grimes

Impossible to tell, things can always get worse.
This feels like our Blue Monday though, Liverpool going for the quadruple, City for the treble. Arsenal look like they are getting their act together and will get top 4.
Add to that we have no game for 2 weeks and it really is as low as it gets as a United fan.

jesperjaap

And not just signing them, keeping them and renewing their contracts over and over 'to protect their value.'

The whole squad should have been refreshed by now. By Klopp's third season at Liverpool he'd brought in pretty much 20 new players.

Our coaches sit in press conferences and say X can go. Then the club blocks the sales. If you're in the dressing room why would you listen to the coach then? You know, even if you're crap, you're far more likely to be here in a year or two than them. Then you get Scholes going on BT and talking about needing a coach who inspires fear?! :lol: Nobody is going to be afraid of any coach who is publicly undercut by the Board. Can't understand why they cant see that?
Bang on. Keep reading on here how we cant sign more than 4 in a window and it would be wrong regardless and we cant move on so many so quick. Yet three of the four best managers outside of Ferguson have done. Ferguson did it to a degree when he took over, took a while to get it right. Wenger had a good base at the back and jsut added a few but Mourinho at Chelsea, Klopp and Guardiola had a huge turn over of players out and in durign there first couple of years.

First we need a manager with the balls to do it, as you say though we need them to be back to do it. Mourinho especially seemed to be blocked and though he was never the right man for me, he was right about most he wanted to move on.

Scholes talked utter nonsense too. He suggested on one hand this is a team of good players and get a top footballing coach in and we have a top team....then straight away said but not like Liverpool/City. I love Scholes, but he didnt talk a lot of crap that night

SparkedIntoLife

From what I’m seeing, we’ll finish around the same spot (5th/6th) but it will feel like a more positive, constructive season. I still don’t really trust the upper management but hopefully there will be enough smart people around them to drive forward real progress. I think we will have to have another year out of the mix but use this coming season to be bold, give experience to youth and get some of the deeper elements right, i.e. culture.

jesperjaap

Worse, absolutely.

We’re going to lose a huge number of players in the summer (not that they’ll be missed) and we are incapable of addressing so many problem areas in the same window.

We need a striker and there isn’t one out there. We need midfielders and there aren’t too many out there. We’ve needed another right back for an age and I’m not sure there are many options out there.

We hardly have luck on our side either, mind. Our one and only truly brilliant homegrown prodigy turns out to be a possible rapist and will, in all likelihood, never kick a ball for us again.That situation is a lot bigger than football, granted, but worth pointing out nonetheless.

I feel for the mental health of the folk who genuinely believe that some fancy Dan from the Netherlands is going to come in and revolutionise this club. It’s puzzling to say the least.

I have to say, why is losing a huge number of players who being brutal have been utter shite a bad thing? I want a lot of players to move on and the fact contracts are ending and some wish to leave, its only a good thing, none of them have earned the right to be here anyway.

As for no options out there, just look at the free transfers possibly available this summer ROmagnoli at centre back, Mazraoui at right back, Kamara and Kessie in central midfield, Dembele at right wing, Dybala as a striker. These are all FREE transfers this summer, all quality players, whether we can compete for them or are even interested is another thing altogether, but no options, come on?

Livaramento is a fantastic prospect at right back, Fofana has shown himself to be a huge prospect at centre back, Arouji has contract issues at centre back, there are a few top young centre backs in Germany, there is Rice, Bellingham, Tchouameni, Caqueret, Ugogchukwu who is just 17 in central midfield, there are some very talented young wingers. I would agree there are not a huge amount of obvious striker signings, that are not old or/and cost a fortune, but there are a few.

This is exactly why I hope many go and wish to go and we even sell some big name flops, there are plenty of very exciting young players and quality free transfers available thhis summer.....that doesnt mean things dont get worse, for me they do if we brign 3/4 in and keep so many, but they dotn have to get worse, they should get better

wolvored

There will be a lot of players leaving in the summer and with the right manager (TH)and with 3-4 right recruitments I am hoping we will see improvement over the season, but probably not right away. If this happens by next March I think we will be in a better place as a club.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I reckon we will get better but not enough to make top 4. I'd expect 3-4 years before we are back in top 4 as an established team (one off finishes may happen before with injuries to other teams) and 8-10 years before our next title challenge at the very, very least.

fastwalker

Problem with the Dippers, is that, yeah, you're right, Klopp is a builder. Problem for them, is when he leaves can they insert another manager that can do the same. Equally, once he goes, will they continue their success rate of buying players or is it that he makes the signings work?

Only when Klopp leaves, will we have the answer to whether it is him, or the system. If it is him, then they will revert back to where they were or go on a post-SAF/current Utd trajectory.
Completely agree with you.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I personally don’t think much will change next season no matter who the manager is. We might get lucky and finish a tedious 2nd until an inevitable drop the season after but unless the way the club is run from the top down gets fixed, it’s all just papering the cracks.
I can't see any version of the future where we finish 2nd next season.
We are dreadful.
RR joined, he attempted to get our team to press and they gave up after 45 minutes. That is how bad we are.
A team from the Championship would be more willing to press for the majority of the game.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I reckon we will get better but not enough to make top 4. I'd expect 3-4 years before we are back in top 4 as an established team (one off finishes may happen before with injuries to other teams) and 8-10 years before our next title challenge at the very, very least.
I think we can get top 4 next season and the one after. But that, unfortunately, is our limit.
The ambition of our club is 4th place while spending as little money as possible on player purchases. This enables the Glazers to make as much money as possible.

It’ll get worse. As the new manager tries to implement a modern playing style they’ll be more bumps in the road, like Klopps (8th) and Peps (4th on goal difference just) first seasons respectively.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We will win the Europa League next season. A major trophy and automatic qualification for the CL.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I think we can get top 4 next season and the one after. But that, unfortunately, is our limit.
The ambition of our club is 4th place while spending as little money as possible on player purchases. This enables the Glazers to make as much money as possible.
Considering how much we’ve spent over the last few years, or ever since Fergie left basically, I do not think that is true at all. The lack of investment is not the reason why we are in the shambles.

For me it all depends on how much we can spend. We need to spend a lot, we need to replace so many players.

I don’t think we can afford to do that so I see things getting consistently worst until the Glazers leave.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We are already playing better under Rangnick than earlier in the season. Not against the top sides though.

I think the summer clear out will be good and we’ll be a better side next season. Not good enough though but much better than this season I would expect.

The key for me is United need to ditch Ronaldo ( not sure we will though)

Trex

We won't be in the UCL most likely so that means a much smaller squad, we should be looking to bring in minimum 4 new players, hopefully the midfield will be the focus, I think we should be somewhere between 4-6 next season, the top three would be out of reach.