Will things get better or worse next season?

redmanx

We wont win the Prem and a top 4 position is probably the best we can expect, though I'll be hoping for better! I want to see us have good cup runs getting to the semis at least, but mostly I want to see us play with flair, passion and desire, to not down tools when the going gets tough, to make other teams work hard and to rebuild our reputation at OT. And I want to see the players play with a smile and enjoy playing football for the greatest Football Club in the world!

Long Time Red

Ridiculous thread, how could they possibly get any worse?

The gap in coaching ability between Rangnick and Ten Hag is monstrous.

The team will look unrecognisable from the first pre-season game even with no new players.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Better, we have appointed a modern-progressive coach for the first time since Fergie retired

Results will be up and down but I'm confident fans will enjoy the football over the course of season

Long Time Red

Worse. ETH will either leave or will be sacked before the season is over.
I'm very much looking forward to pre-season where silly comments like these will be made to look very stupid and the overall toxicity on this forum will be a lot lower.

Mike Smalling

Better.

We will have at least a partial clear-out, probably a few new players, and a manager with fresh ideas, who will not be putting up with the bullshit of the players. It won't be perfect, and top four is certainly not guaranteed, but it's worth remembering that we are much better than the table currently shows.

AndySmith1990

Things should be better. We'll be rid of Lingard and Pogba, at least, and hopefully we'll find a buyer for Martial. I think a big part of improving the team will be ridding it of trouble makers, sulkers and generally lazy overpaid wasters. Creating a positive, professional and hard working mentality is key. I expect Ronaldo will be made captain as he embodies those qualities we need

Tap

We wont win the Prem and a top 4 position is probably the best we can expect, though I'll be hoping for better! I want to see us have good cup runs getting to the semis at least, but mostly I want to see us play with flair, passion and desire, to not down tools when the going gets tough, to make other teams work hard and to rebuild our reputation at OT. And I want to see the players play with a smile and enjoy playing football for the greatest Football Club in the world!
Semis, top 4, smiles… sounds a lot like the Ole era.

Joking aside, I guess this is the best we can hope for especially the part where OT becomes a fortress again.We have gotten outplayed and dropped too many points at OT in recent seasons.

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Better. You'll see football with a game plan. Of course work in progress at first. Maybe some silly mistakes that will cost points and even bring you out of title contention early in the season. But you'll see progress for sure. Not playing European football might actually be very good for United as it will give more time for training during the week which will speed up progression. If United manage to avoid loss of points due to silly mistakes because of all the changes early in the season, then United might actually do surprisingly well.

maximus419

Part of why we enjoy football is because it's unpredictable. Bringing in ETH is going to be just that, a guy new to English football, a good reputation albeit from a much weaker Dutch league.

It's a huge challenge, arguably a bigger job than any new relatively unknown manager could have been thrown into.
I think it will be another tough season though, lot of bad results mixed in with some good.

This first season needs to be a free pass I think for him to sort everything out. Adapting to a new country, more competitive league, a squad bereft of confidence with no identity. He has to get to know the players as individuals and to form a new team, many with a lot of baggage. The changes being made to the structure of the club will also take time. How he deals with players he doesn't want but will still be here, how any new signings adapt to the league.

Make no mistake, this would be a huge challenge even for a world class manager with plenty of experience and yet this guy is relatively unproven. So whilst I wish him every success, I do not expect much for the first season. Success is getting a squad together with a determined attitude, players giving it 100% every single match and forming an identity on the pitch and playing football we can enjoy.

Fridge chutney

Better. I have beem reading encouraging things about Ten Hag's approach to management and understanding of football.

Chripper

Dunno.

No one knows how well or how quickly ETH will adapt to English football.

No one knows if the current players will fall in line and subscribe to Ten Hag's methods and ideologies.

Manchester City and Liverpool hit gold by appointing a manager who had any experience with English football. Let's hope we're as fortunate.

DevilRed

I'd be shocked if we repeated a disaster of this season.

With more stable leadership, I think we will see improvement (although thats not hard is it?).

Just want to see us play like a team again.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
You could easily see us finishing 3rd next season.

The quality outside the top 2 isnt that great and our results against teams around us haven't been that bad. 2 draws against Chelsea, 1 Win and 1 Loss against Arsenal, 2 wins against West Ham and 2 wins against Spurs.

Our problems are basically summed up by failing to get a win against Watford and Everton.

A top 4 pace is easily achievable if we stop with those awful performances against the so called lesser sides.

Kaushal

We have to back the manager first and foremost in the market as well as regarding the other decisions and provide him all the required tools which we seem to be doing so to give him the platform in implementing his ideas, vision, authority and his style on the team. After that the next step is time and patience to let it flourish and let it all come together gradually. It might be 4 months or 6 months or even a season to see the visible difference on the pitch. It will come in patches along with the frustration. So it is imperative that we give him our support and endure the pain before experiencing the pleasure.

We would see some patterns and some signs of progress as the season matures and then we might see a sudden fall in performances as well as in results. As it is the start of the biggest drastic change at the club post Sir Alex, the signs of progression might not be linear so it is a must that we keep our focus on the broader picture and not dwelling into some petty stuff.

That’s not to say we have to trust the manager blindly regardless of whatever happens on the pitch. It’s just that even if the progress is slow and even if it is not enjoyable at all in the first few months, we have to look past that and give him the benefit of the doubt and see what actually he is trying to do rather than what he should and shouldn’t and paint him conclusively because the expectations are enormous and the pressure is huge from the media the pundits from everyone and to succeed here at this club the manager needs the backing of the fans more than anything right now.

Tango80

I think better. Tempering expectations will be vital though.

I think we'll start a bit sluggishly, and struggle for consistency, particularly in game. It'll be little things like how we react to going a goal behind, how we sustain pressure, how we react when going a goal up. We'll play ETHs way in bursts then revert to type for a bit, then go again.

Third /fourth would be great although I just want to enjoy watching us play again.

TheLord

It won’t be as good as many are hoping it to be. There will be definite improvements, but only marginal.

Tavern in the town

It won’t be as good as many are hoping it to be. There will be definite improvements, but only marginal.
If we’re only marginally improving on our lowest points tally and goal difference in the Premier League era after the money we’ll inevitably spend in the summer the manager should be sacked.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Expecting too much from ETH won't pay off in first two seasons, unless we'll witness massive exodus and overhaul right after that, causing more than just evolution in team's mentality.

Basics like stringing combo pass and the accurate one on daily basis should be still achievable.

maximus419

People expecting good results and a top 4 finish I think is setting him up for a fall.

Don't forget when Sir Alex took over in 86 he had similar squad of underperforming players and it took 4 years before utd won a trophy and he nearly got sacked. In the end though he transformed the whole club from top to bottom. That is whats required now.

I'd also argue the job is tougher now because people don't have so much patience, the league is tougher and the extra scrutiny from those in the media is far more intense. ETH needs the full 3 years of his contract to be judged on, this isn't a small operation, this is life saving surgery we're asking him to perform.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We won't be as bad as this season but I doubt we would be anything great.

Donk3y

Slightly better. I think we will get more points, but I do not see us finishing in the top 4.

NoPace

I'm expecting a better overall season with some really low moments as we adjust to playing football and crumble under presses trying to play out the back.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Better.

ETH will improve us a lot even though the first season will have growing pains. Just need to make sure he gets 4 players he likes and fit with his vision, and not impose anyone on him.

ole@thewheel

Hard to say.

I can see us being more tactically mature, especially against top 6 teams, but we probably will continue to struggle against bottom table ones.

Other improvement will be in cup competitions, so I can see getting to a semifinal or two at least.

ETH will not have a lot of pressure initially, but it will start getting to that ,if we dont get to top 4 next year.