Will we be up to speed for the Leeds game?

FPL addict

Supports
Leeds Utd
Good result and performance by Man Utd today.

For info Leeds final preseason friendly v a strong Villareal side is at 1-1 after 15 mins . Leeds lost a goal after 9 seconds go a deflected own goal, Klich just equalised with a shot from distance set up by Raphinia.

Leeds not at complete full strength with Phillips back and on the bench and Llorente and Firpo both missing from Leeds defence.
Leeds 2-1 up with ten minutes to go.....Bamford goal, Cooper assist.

Leeds are no Everton.

lysglimt

Scout
We saw what happened first game v Palace at home last season. We were utterly off the pace and looked like a team of fat dads against Olympians.

Really hope we're on it, whoever actually plays.
It's too early to tell - but there were a lot of players out there today who looked to have a lot more sharpness than what we saw against Palace last season - so even if Everton were really poor, I feel a bit more assured now

Dante

Average bang
I think last season was different for a few reasons.

Because of the late finish to 2019/20 and the cut-down preseason before 2020/21, the players only had 7 weeks to let their bodies rest then brought back up to full fitness. That was obviously not enough time for a full cycle-down then cycle-up. So we ended up needing to cycle-up during competitive matches. Which is what cost us.

This time around, the players have almost 11 weeks to do the same thing. Yes, the preseason hasn't had a lot of fixtures. But preaseason games are just televised training sessions. The important thing is that the squad have had time to give their muscles and joints some rest, followed by time to do some gym work to bring their cardio levels back up to speed. That last part can easily be done behind closed doors.

Shaw, Maguire and Bruno might need to be handled carefully because of their time at the Euro. But let's be honest. The latter two in particular seem like the most naturally fit athletes we've had at the club in years.

I think we're in decent nick, to be honest.

YikesSchmeics

It's too early to tell - but there were a lot of players out there today who looked to have a lot more sharpness than what we saw against Palace last season - so even if Everton were really poor, I feel a bit more assured now
Agree.

Last season we played Sevilla on the 16th August and after that, had one awful friendly vs Aston Villa and then Palace on the 19th September. Over a month off, and no pre season.

The lineup vs Villa was:

Henderson; Dalot, Fosu-Mensah, Maguire, Shaw; McTominay, van de Beek; Lingard, Rashford, James; Ighalo.

The lineup vs Palace was:

De Gea, Fosu-Mensah, Lindelof, Maguire, Shaw, McTominay, Pogba, James, Bruno, Rashford, Martial

So from the Palace game, 5 of them had a total of one game for pre season, and the rest had none.

At least for the Leeds game we should be fielding a team that's a little sharper and a has a little more in the legs. And there was a Euros so a lot of them were still playing top level football not too long ago. Aside from that, there are other factors such as empty stadium vs full stadium and a hugely negative mood around the club then as the Glazers dragged their heels (again) on transfers vs this summer where we already have Varane and Sancho in the door. I feel all of these things should contribute to a more energized group for the Leeds game.

Gopher Brown

I mean, the league isn’t one game, even if we lose it isn’t the end of the world and we can mount a strong title challenge.

Or am I being too optimistic for these here parts?

FPL addict

Supports
Leeds Utd
Ajax seemed to think so the other day
Very true but Leeds did not have a full side out, Phillips who is crucial to them in front of the defence was missing, they were playing a makeshift centre half in Ayling and had a reserve player Shackleton at right back.

Having said all that, with Llorente still out the Leeds defence is pretty weak so Man Utd will score goals. The fact Leeds put 2 past a good Villareal side as well as coming very close to adding more shows Leeds are going to score v Utd too I believe....should be a cracking game to be honest as Man Utd are also not going to be at full strength.

As a Leeds fan I am looking forward to it as it is a game we are not expecting to win so the pressure is on Man Utd.