Will we be up to speed for the Leeds game?

Withnail

It's different in all sorts of ways. Above all in that the previous season we had a week less than anyone else in the PL, and 3 weeks less than most (because of having to play three stages of the EL after the PL finished) - so it affected us worse than it affected other teams. By the time our players went on holiday, players from every other team save Wolves, Chelsea and City had already had 3 weeks. This is the key thing - one thing was how little preparation and rest they'd had, but that might not have mattered as much if everyone else had been in an equally bad position.

If I remember correctly, also no one got more than 2 weeks off, or had much more than 2 weeks of pre-season after the rest. There were players who arrived back literally a few days before the season opener. We had a single pre-season game. Only one of our newly signed players (DvdB) was in place by the season opener. It really was extreme. Players went out to face Crystal Palace in the opener who normally wouldn't be considered to have reached a high enough level of fitness to start a friendly.
We're playing Leeds in two weeks who have already played 4 games and only two of our starters are even in training.

We're going to be undercooked compared to them, Southampton and possibly Wolves. While not as bad I think it's similar to be honest.

JuriM

Considering the Cold Cup just ended last night and Tokyo games go for another week, most of our players at least have got a rest, not like those who are coming off those events.

Strats

I imagine our opening first 11 will have a slightly odd look to it. We will most likely pick players based on fitness and sharpness than ability.
Fullts expect Dan James to start despite being shite in pre season(and last season)

Last edited:

Withnail

They've all had a rest this year. Last year I think everyone got 2 weeks holiday and then 2 weeks pre season. I think the rest is actually more important than the preseason
I'm not sure. Rest is important long-term but Leeds will have the match fitness edge on us. It could be a case where were second best to every ball because of that small margin in sharpness.

Hopefully we get through the first three or four game without shitting the bed.

AshRK

I am surprised we are not having atleast one more friendly along with the everton game especially after the preston game got canceled. One or two more games I feel our players will be ok.

justsomebloke

I am surprised we are not having atleast one more friendly along with the everton game especially after the preston game got canceled. One or two more games I feel our players will be ok.
I agree, you'd think it'd be possible to set up one more game on short notice. Also don't understand why they were in such a hurry to call off Preston. By the day after it was cancelled, it was clear there were no covid cases.

Olecurls99

I'm not sure. Rest is important long-term but Leeds will have the match fitness edge on us. It could be a case where were second best to every ball because of that small margin in sharpness.

Hopefully we get through the first three or four game without shitting the bed.
True enough. I reckon we can ramp up the training before and after the Everton match though. Maybe a high intensity 90 minute training match the Tuesday or Wednesday before Leeds and we should be at it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Leeds have their own problems. Two of their CBs (Llorente and Struijk) left the pitch injured in their latest pre-season game while another (Cooper) has yet to start pre-season. Even if they aren't badly injured, it's all disruption.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Not likely, none of the top teams will due to the euros. It happens. Not much we can do. I'm guessing a lineup to open the season like:
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
Van de Beek Matic
Greenwood Bruno Pogba
Martial​

Very iffy on a few of those too, only 2 weeks of training if that for many of those. And maybe game 2 or 3 to see Shaw/Sancho/Varane/Fred/Cavani and whatever others weren't fit from this lineup.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
It's pretty much exactly the same as last season. The vast majority of our first team have had feck all rest and aren't back in training yet.

How is it any different?
Because this years league finish was much more relaxed for us and considering it was the Euros and not club football that was played the fatigue/lack of rest affects other clubs more than last season

Pavl3n

Not likely, none of the top teams will due to the euros. It happens. Not much we can do. I'm guessing a lineup to open the season like:
De Gea
Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
Van de Beek Matic
Greenwood Bruno Pogba
Martial​

Very iffy on a few of those too, only 2 weeks of training if that for many of those. And maybe game 2 or 3 to see Shaw/Sancho/Varane/Fred/Cavani and whatever others weren't fit from this lineup.
No way Martial starts up top. He's still injured, isn't he?
Greenwood up top, Elanga and James on the wings.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
No way Martial starts up top. He's still injured, isn't he?
Greenwood up top, Elanga and James on the wings.
Thought he was supposed to be back training by now. Cavani I'm not sure when he's back and he needs to be cautiously managed anyway, while out wide I doubt Sancho will start right away, Rashford out so I can see Martial much sooner than starting Dan James.

Offsideagain

Why wouldn’t we be? Because the reserves missed one training game? Slightly knee jerk thread me thinks.

Last year we had one friendly B.C.D vs villa on the back of 2 weeks off after the Europa league mini tournament, then got thrown into the season on the back of it. Turned out okay in the end. I think we’ll be fine, so you can un bunch your panties!
Why wouldn’t we be? Well because as stated, most of the first team are on holiday or injured with bugger all time left to get in shape to play a team that is based on fitness. It is not a knee jerk reaction, it is a pertinent question to ask and many responders agree. I hope we beat Leeds of course, but I can’t see how given the resources available just now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Why wouldn’t we be? Well because as stated, most of the first team are on holiday or injured with bugger all time left to get in shape to play a team that is based on fitness. It is not a knee jerk reaction, it is a pertinent question to ask and many responders agree. I hope we beat Leeds of course, but I can’t see how given the resources available just now.
Most of them are injured?

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Even if we had played Preston at the weekend, it wouldn’t change the fact that most of the first team are back this week. It’s all been planned for.
The only injuries I’m aware of are Luke’s ribs (which he may well play through) and Alex Telles. Jones and Martial are long term absentees in rehab, Rashford is out. Our squad looks strong on paper. Obviously we see who plays and how they get on vs Everton, but I fully expect a win against Leeds and a much improved performance. We’re a fortnight away from Leeds, we have reinforced two weak positions so far with more signings possible.
We are in a good position, and I don’t get the need for worry and negativity. If you can’t get excited and positive for preseason, I fear for your sanity through the season!

justsomebloke

I'd be surprised if there are players who aren't started due to a lack of pre-season time, except for the Olympians, but they're not first XI anyway. Other than injured players, I think we'll see the usual crowd.

Last edited:

OleTheGreat

I hope he doesn't play the likes of Lingard, Perriera and the sort. I hope they were played to keep them match fit and load them off before the end of the window. I really really wish Elanga gets a run out this season and I hope it starts at the Leeds game what with the home advantage and all.

Heaton/Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Matic/Mctominay
Bruno VDB
Sancho Greenwood James

I'm guessing this will be the line-up keeping in mind that there isn't any new signing that happens by then and even if so, I'm guessing it will take time to finalize. I really hope Martial is fit by then and can start. I don't expect Ole to start De Gea for the Leeds game.

peridigm

I hope he doesn't play the likes of Lingard, Perriera and the sort. I hope they were played to keep them match fit and load them off before the end of the window. I really really wish Elanga gets a run out this season and I hope it starts at the Leeds game what with the home advantage and all.

Heaton/Henderson
AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
Matic/Mctominay
Bruno VDB
Sancho Greenwood James

I'm guessing this will be the line-up keeping in mind that there isn't any new signing that happens by then and even if so, I'm guessing it will take time to finalize. I really hope Martial is fit by then and can start. I don't expect Ole to start De Gea for the Leeds game.
If it comes to it, I think Jesse would be a better fit than James to be honest. Neither should be starting for us though.

Pavl3n

Thought he was supposed to be back training by now. Cavani I'm not sure when he's back and he needs to be cautiously managed anyway, while out wide I doubt Sancho will start right away, Rashford out so I can see Martial much sooner than starting Dan James.
But you have to take in mind that Dan James' fitness is way closer to match fitness than Martial's and he's been training with the squad, while Martial's been on his own.
It's just speculations at the end of the day. Let's wait and see.

MrSingh2002

No chance we will. Ole has said this week and I quote.... "I don't have a scooby how fit the international lads are".

Doesn't really make you think there's a proper plan to ensure the players hit the ground running.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
No chance we will. Ole has said this week and I quote.... "I don't have a scooby how fit the international lads are".

Doesn't really make you think there's a proper plan to ensure the players hit the ground running.
Or it means they’ve been on holidays and doesn’t know how fit they’ll be on return…

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I honestly think we will lose our first game.

bielsa will no doubt have his players fit and ready to run.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Last season we lost 6+ points due to virtually no pre season.

Unfortunately we will probably be the same this season.

MrSingh2002

Or it means they’ve been on holidays and doesn’t know how fit they’ll be on return…
And you think thats fitting for one of the biggest football teams in the world?

I'd have thought they do some sort of fitness checks to make sure players aren't doing feck all whilst on holiday.

Maybe I'm a prehistoric dinosaur for expecting professionals to be professional enough in the off season.

RUCK4444

One things for sure, we feckin need to be.

Worst possible fixture to be found wanting in fitness. I’m sure Ole is fully aware of that and will be pushing them hard on the fitness.

Longshanks

And you think thats fitting for one of the biggest football teams in the world?

I'd have thought they do some sort of fitness checks to make sure players aren't doing feck all whilst on holiday.

Maybe I'm a prehistoric dinosaur for expecting professionals to be professional enough in the off season.
Are you expecting the fitness team/coaches to rock up in the middle of the players holidays and perform fitness tests on them!?

I think you may have misquoted Ole somewhat aswell, I belive he said something along the lines of 'the players on holiday all have there own programmes to follow while away, but until they return I can't be sure how fit they are and wether they will be ready for the 14th' or words to that affect anyway.

Basically if the players have been professionals and followed there programmes than they should be OK, but there is a chance some may have laxed on there programmes and might not be ready.

theklr

Martial seems to be missing somehow, unless he is still recuperating from the injury

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
When was the last time we started a season well? Back in Fergie's days I would imagine.
I wanna say we started 2017/18 well post SAF.

I wanna say it was almost a trademark to start terribly back in SAF’s days but we started his last season well in 2012/13 and we started 2011/12 well before the 6-1 against City. We famously started 2006/07 on fire to combat Chelsea.

JB7

Hope he plays Heaton in goal. De Gea needs a message or he’ll never fecking leave.

JB7

Give your head a wobble. Clubs are expected to behave professionally. Not like entitled di**s.
What like the club behaved with Romero last season? De Gea has no future here and that needs to be made clear to him.