Will we finish above Liverpool ?

davidmichael

Watching the Liverpool/Arsenal game with Liverpool losing and having only won twice this season so far, they’re two points behind us and we play an average Everton team later on.

City are already 13 points ahead of them with Arsenal 14 points ahead of it stays like this and Spurs are 10 points ahead so you’d say already that the best Liverpool can hope for is a top four finish, would that motivate a squad and manager used to fighting for the biggest prizes over the past few years ?

They don’t look good defensively, lacklustre in midfield and up top they miss Mane massively. Us on the other hand have played a lot of CL spot rivals already and managed to come through them much better off point wise than I thought we would and stayed ahead of Liverpool so could we finish above them this season ?

Leonzo1

If we can get some consistency with our results we can definitely finish above them as they will lose plenty of points this season. We have yet to play any of the bottom 8 teams, if we can get the job done in those games it will be massive for our season.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Watching the Liverpool/Arsenal game with Liverpool losing and having only won twice this season so far, they’re two points behind us and we play an average Everton team later on.

City are already 13 points ahead of them with Arsenal 14 points ahead of it stays like this and Spurs are 10 points ahead so you’d say already that the best Liverpool can hope for is a top four finish, would that motivate a squad and manager used to fighting for the biggest prizes over the past few years ?

They don’t look good defensively, lacklustre in midfield and up top they miss Mane massively. Us on the other hand have played a lot of CL spot rivals already and managed to come through them much better off point wise than I thought we would and stayed ahead of Liverpool so could we finish above them this season ?
They've arguably been the better side this game. Let's see how we do ourselves first against an average Everton side as you say. The type of game we need to be winning to be finishing above them.

PoTMS

I wouldn't count on it. Our team is too wildly inconsistent whereas we know Klopp can go on long runs where they sweep everyone aside.

cyberman

Liverpool will struggle for top 4 at best. Any consistency should see us do it.
I just can’t see how Klopp changes this? They’ve defended like this for most of the second half of last season and when it was pointed out we were sneered at. It catches up on you, having every striker go through one v one against Allison every week isn’t sustainable.
He isn’t going to suddenly change this around when theyre playing every 3 days

PoTMS

I don't think either of us is getting Champions League from what I've seen this season.

davidmichael

Liverpool will struggle for top 4 at best. Any consistency should see us do it.
I just can’t see how Klopp changes this? They’ve defended like this for most of the second half of last season and when it was pointed out we were sneered at. It catches up on you, having every striker go through one v one against Allison every week isn’t sustainable.
He isn’t suddenly going to suddenly change this around when theyre playing every 3 days
This is true, VDV doesn’t look anywhere near as imposing as he was whilst TAA is a massive liability defensively. I think this Liverpool has run its cycle so unless Klopp has a massive spend up next summer I don’t see how they challenge City anytime soon.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Irrelevant. Probably still won't get us top 4 just finishing above a past-it Liverpool.

M Bison

Supports
York City
Can see us struggling to Everton which would be a far worse result, they’re still a stronger side than us imo.

TheLord

Let's not be so melodramatic.
No, we can't finish higher than them this season. They have a much better squad and a better manager.

BorisManUtd

If they keep struggling, yes. If they get back to their usual form, no one is finishing higher than Liverpool except for 1 or 2 teams. They were poor in 2020/21 season and still finished 3rd.

nakpodiareuben

There is no way we won't finish above Liverpool. They are a broken team that will eventually lost confidence. We are a team that will get even stronger with each win. Only city and arsenal are really better than us. Chelsea, Spurs will drop as well

Valencia Shin Crosses

As for the OP, I certainly think it's possible. City looks leagues ahead of everyone else, and after them it's Arsenal, Spurs, us, Liverpool, Chelsea in a group of teams that can beat any of each other on any given day.

Will probably come down to injuries around this period and the WC between the sides. Liverpool losing Diaz is a huge blow for them as well, he's been their best player on average this year. We have to pray Martial can find some sort of fitness and Ronaldo can improve as we are very thin at striker. Arsenal similarly need Jesus to stay fit as they are a completely different side with him. Spurs are the most unimpressive of the group but seem to scrounge points every week off the back of their top forwards and Conte's pragmatism.

always_hoping

Even if United did it would be full of excuses by Liverpool supporters the media who loves them.

Can United finish above their current 5th place is the main question.

Himannv

Neither side played particularly well last weekend so it’s up in the air and both teams have things to improve.

Liverpool have lost their threat from wide areas and it’s hurting them a bit, but they still have lots of quality in their squad.

With United, it all just looks a bit disjointed at times and we need to get the right balance or we will drop points. Everton was a really poor side and I wouldn’t say we dominated that game exactly.

I think it’ll be close between the two sides.

Last edited:

RedCurry

They lost Mane and Salah in the same season. You better hope so.

Belisarius

Yes, we will finish above Liverpool. We seem to do it every second season.