Will we finish above Newcastle?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
They'll finish above us.

No European football, are a very good team with good depth, confidence is flowing and will spend well in January to strengthen further too.

Josh 76

I keep hearing “they have no Europe, so they will do well”.
What’s the fecking point getting into Europe.

Sparky Rhiwabon

I keep hearing “they have no Europe, so they will do well”.
What’s the fecking point getting into Europe.
To try and win the European trophy. But you need a big and strong enough squad to compete on both fronts. Currently neither Newcastle or ourselves do, but we're in Europe whereas they’re not.

pascell

I do not expect us to finish behind all of Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool. In fact I very much doubt we will finish behind any of them.
We'll finish behind Spurs and Chelsea, Spurs we're unlucky not to get a point yesterday and it's a good win for Liverpool too.

Chelsea are a strange one but I feel they'll pull themselves together after the WC, Potter has only been in the job a month and needs time to set his tactics in and they have better depth to their squad.

Spurs will pick up plucky wins away with their front 3 and will beat the smaller teams at home.

Liverpool I think we'll finish above.

We're just wildly too inconsistent and our squad is still littered with below average players.

MUFC OK

These were some of the early replies in this thread.

And I know it's still early days, but here is the current table:

Would not be surprised if we miss out on top 4 due to GD. If we are to get it, it's going to the wire.

wangyu

He is? Hardly prolific in La Liga.

Win that game in hand and we’re one point behind them after all these injuries and that freakish start.

I know everyone wants to be negative after a loss, but put together more runs like we did previously and we’ll get top four the way things are going.
True he hasn’t proven yet to be prolific but I think he is a good finisher from what I have seen.
Apart from that I’m still negative, the manner in which we lose is emphatic and the manner in which we win is scrappy.
I fully expect Liverpool to switch on second half of the season, Newcastle looks rock solid which leaves us in 5th and Spurs/chelsea in 6th and 7th.

With drawing barca now we will most likely go out so at least we can catch a breather.

The Back of the Net

Supports
Arsenal
I think in the EPL battle of all the Uniteds that Newcastle will have the most points at the end of the season. Leeds will be last.

BorisManUtd

Unless we buy a striker in January, we won't finish above them. Can't keep being impotent in attack and score 1 or at best 2 goals a game and then hope that defence will keep clean sheets all the time.

Lee565

I can't get my head around how all of a sudden we are deaming Newcastle team quality to be on par with us? Imagine the negativity if we signed Wilson as our striker and let's notnget started on longstaff

scottser

not a chance will we finish above newcastle; they're nailed on for third as they don't have to worry about extra european matches this season. they'll make an unholy tits of things next year though, unless they get in a top-flight manager with CL experience.
it'll be us or liverpool fighting for fourth.

Todd

I think they're outperforming their true level thus far, but to be fair they can certainly score goals.

If we add a new striker in January and the Varane/Martinez partnership can stay fit, I think we will be in a good position to get 4th.

If we don't add a striker I fear we will miss out on CL again, there just aren't enough goals to go around in this squad right now.

Bosnian_fan

Supports
Sarajevo
Newcastle have commendably outperformed expectations whilst hardly opening the checkbook in the way it was expected. I really don't see their squad anyway close to top four in terms of quality.

As for whether they will finish ahead of us, that's a completely different question. I really don't think they are that good. I'd see it as a failure for us to end behind Newcastle, regardless of top four. Spurs, Chelsea and Liverpool look much more dangerous to me, while City and probably Arsenal are untouchable.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I can't get my head around how all of a sudden we are deaming Newcastle team quality to be on par with us? Imagine the negativity if we signed Wilson as our striker and let's notnget started on longstaff
Hmmnnn. Not even glanced at a league table lately ?

Matst1

We'll finish behind Spurs and Chelsea, Spurs we're unlucky not to get a point yesterday and it's a good win for Liverpool too.

Chelsea are a strange one but I feel they'll pull themselves together after the WC, Potter has only been in the job a month and needs time to set his tactics in and they have better depth to their squad.

Spurs will pick up plucky wins away with their front 3 and will beat the smaller teams at home.

Liverpool I think we'll finish above.

We're just wildly too inconsistent and our squad is still littered with below average players.
How so? Before Villa we were 9 games unbeaten, pretty consistent to me..

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's not an all of a sudden thing, hence this thread is 3 months old. They've been out performing us for almost a year now.

Wilson would be a huge upgrade on Ronaldo and its pretty safe bet we won't even buy anyone of even his quality in January.

Devil81

Newcastle will keep this up, I'm pretty certain of that given the fact they've not had European football and they've bought really well.

How Trippier isn't a United player is an absolute mystery, he was available and he's absolutely brilliant. He's gets an assist every other game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Probably not. But that's because we probably won't do the right kind of business in January, which means that we're unlikely to go on a proper run, not because they're that good. They could finish 3rd - but they could also finish 6th. Or 7th. It's by no means a given that they'll keep going at the current rate even without Europe to distract them.

Okey

Newcastle will keep this up, I'm pretty certain of that given the fact they've not had European football and they've bought really well.

How Trippier isn't a United player is an absolute mystery, he was available and he's absolutely brilliant. He's gets an assist every other game.
Story of our recruitment isn't it?

Okey

I don't expect any drop off from Newcastle with them focusing on just the league. Unless a deep Cup run in both domestic Cups becomes a factor. But even those don't stretch a team like European commitment. They're here to stay unfortunately. And will only get better with their new owners.

MrBest

The Premier league is a marathon, I've seen plenty of teams be in third after a good start and end up mid table. I think Newcastle will have a very good season but I don't think they will be in the top 4. I also think we will eventually finish above them, Ten Hag has only been here a few months, howie took a few months to get Newcastle going and then was allowed to buy a few that fitted in his system. He had already implemented his philosophy. Ten Hag job was always up hill despite his new signings. The core players had literally forgotten how to play football, had no confidence, didn't want to work hard and most of them are still here. We need 2 signings in Jan, 2 Hag players. Ronaldo exiting will also be important, ive been a massive fan of him and i previously wanted him to stay. One thing I think I am seeing these days is he has a negative impact on the way we play visually and psychologically. I think Hag has done a great job so far, it's easy to say why this and that but our base was so bad, he has to engineer everything again. Newcastle will be a top club one day but I don't think they have the quality or squad depth just yet to sustain over 38 games. Everything is an assumption though, only May will tell us but I wouldn't write us off this quick.

Doracle

Howe has done a phenomenal job because that Newcastle squad remains ordinary on paper. It’s weird how his weakness at Bournemouth was the defence but he’s got Newcastle playing extremely solid football.

Still think we’ll finish above them though.

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
not a chance will we finish above newcastle; they're nailed on for third as they don't have to worry about extra european matches this season. they'll make an unholy tits of things next year though, unless they get in a top-flight manager with CL experience.
it'll be us or liverpool fighting for fourth.
Howe is quickly becoming a top flight manager ! No manager starts off experienced, they learn as they go & Howe seems to be a fast learner.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
If we don't sign anybody in January, there is no way we are finishing top4, so if Glazers feck us then whether we are above or below Newcastle will mostly depend on them, not on us.

If we sign a good striker, we will have a fighting chance. A proper backup CB would also help a lot, but we would need to sell Maguire or Lindelof

hobbers

Zero chance of top four if we don't sign a good striker in January.

Tarrou

I would bin off the cup competitions if it was upto me, and just play the reserves

if we focus on the league I think we have enough for top 4

it would really help if we could offload Ronaldo and get a replacement in though

colombianmancunian

Come on. Stop the fecking negativity. We willl finish 2-3, and Newcastle will be lucky to be 4.

We are Manchester United, not a pub team as some of you think.

scottser

Howe is quickly becoming a top flight manager ! No manager starts off experienced, they learn as they go & Howe seems to be a fast learner.
I completely agree. Whether he has the skills to navigate a CL campaign while maintaining a decent domestic challenge remains to be seen; after all, he's never been in that position before and we see it time and again with teams new to European competition. Moreover, it wouldn't surprise me to see him sacked if the NU board convince an elite European manager to join. I guess my point is that they probably think he's good enough for now but not necessarily for long-term success and silverware. Which is unfair to Howe, because he is indeed a very good manager.

Reddevildans

They're in the same boat as us in that they have a solid first 11 but a weak squad, especially upfront. I would say we definitely have the better players but they don't have to deal with European football thus giving them a slight advantage. Its touch and go.

Elcabron

Credit to the OP for posing the question at start of season.

I think we will but lack of European football and their ability now in the transfer market this window makes it less certain but I don't see them maintaining this form all season.

RuudTom83

I wonder if Newcastle are still not seen as a threat or one of the big boys.

I don’t watch any Newcastle games but are teams going up there to park the bus against them yet?

galwayfa

Edie Howe has done a brillant job if he has billons to spend and hasnt
]

Sylar

Don't think Newcastle have the players or staff to keep this up.

Not sure that we have either so it is hard to call
They look to be in a better position though. No Europe will be a help.
Plus they have the better means to add to their squad compared to us.