Will we finish above Newcastle?

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I'm confused,

United have put a run of form together, only in the last three league games have we seen a drop,
Newcastle haven't kept their form up up til the last three games.
The response was to someone suggesting that United couldn't put together a run of form back before Christmas, something which we actually did.

renatosanches85

I'm confused,

United have put a run of form together, only in the last three league games have we seen a drop,
The response was to someone suggesting that United couldn't put together a run of form back before Christmas, something which we actually did.
Is that not a concern? That they have only seen good form recently and are above us in the table?

CG1010

We are a pretty much one man team in casemiro so depends on whether he is available and in form. If so then we will be above Newcastle in 3rd (though not by much) else we will be 4th.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I'm confused,

I'm totally with you :lol:

The point I'm making is that any kind of prediction or response in a thread like this can come back and bite you in the arse

Champ

I'm totally with you :lol:

The point I'm making is that any kind of prediction or response in a thread like this can come back and bite you in the arse
:lol:

Predictions always have a habit of doing that for sure :lol::lol:
I'm going to keep any further predictions locked up for fear of looking more foolish!!

Champ

Is that not a concern? That they have only seen good form recently and are above us in the table?
No, not really, there was circa 8 points or so difference with a game more played at one point I think, so only takes dropped points in three games, they've made up 8 points on us in those games.

Can equally swing the other way in three games time.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
How do people keep digging up these day-relevant threads
How is something that will happen over a season "day" relevant?

The real question is why does a defeat trigger so many all is woe posts and threads.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If we return to our pre-Liverpool form with Casemiro back and others then we will finish miles ahead of them in my opinion. They will drop plenty of points.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
How is something that will happen over a season "day" relevant?

The real question is why does a defeat trigger so many all is woe posts and threads.
Because its dug up the day we played them. I dont mind, Im just impressed

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’m not too concerned about Newcastle. They’ve got a much tougher run in than us with West Ham, Villa, Brentford all away their next 3 fixtures. They also have spurs Arsenal and Chelsea plus Everton and Leeds away.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The major difference between us and Spurs and Newcastle is the number of games we have to play and are choosing to play with our first XI. If anything costs us top four it will be this. It's a dangerous approach from EtH.

Waynne

Yes because they have a nasty habit of time wasting even if they're losing and they've got a tough set of fixtures coming up.

aganley

Yes because they have a nasty habit of time wasting even if they're losing and they've got a tough set of fixtures coming up.
The more important question should be does it really matter if both teams finish in the top 4, which they will.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Tomorrow could be an important day. We beat Everton at home, Newcastle loses at Brentford, and Spurs draw to Brighton, and top 4 is looking very good. Those are all likely results.

That would put us 6 points ahead of Spurs with a game in hand and 9 above Brighton (they have a game in hand). I like those odds. Add in a likely win against NF and the odds get better.

Come on lads!

adamwest

Tomorrow could be an important day. We beat Everton at home, Newcastle loses at Brentford, and Spurs draw to Brighton, and top 4 is looking very good. Those are all likely results.

That would put us 6 points ahead of Spurs with a game in hand and 9 above Brighton (they have a game in hand). I like those odds. Add in a likely win against NF and the odds get better.

Come on lads!
You're all in on Easter holiday mode. It's Thursday today chief :)

Teja

I care more about the points total than 3rd / 4th. Go on a good run, get 74-76 points. That's a decent base for next season when we'll hopefully have an actual striker and maybe even a playmaking CM.

Ten Hag has adapted well with Eriksen, Bruno and Casemiro filling that playmaking void but this was his version of 'we'll develop from within the squad' if we can't sign anyone.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Newcastle have the momentum right now. I think any team in the premiership will struggle to beat them the way they are playing plus the belief.
We are currently playing like a cup team, a reason why I think we’re winning the FA and UEL. This is understandable because United comes with expectations to deliver some sort of plunder at the end of every season. It might slow down our cooking but it’s a price a team like United has to always pay. This will lead to use dropping points and meh performances.
United currently are wrestling victory whilst Newcastle are just playing win/lose/draw and growing in self belief. I’ve watched them against all the big teams this season and non deserved more or equal points against them. They can afford to keep on this route because the don’t have an expectation to win trophies.

croadyman

If we return to our pre-Liverpool form with Casemiro back and others then we will finish miles ahead of them in my opinion. They will drop plenty of points.
Yeah getting Casa & Eriksen both available for first time since late January is HUGE

wangyu

Yes we will but personally I don't care much between 2nd, 3rd of 4th.

MadMike

Honestly who cares so long as we finish in the top 4? There's no "finished above Newcastle/Manchester United" title.

We've battled in 4 fronts and have played 12 games more than them already and we're sure to play 3 more at least. We beat them on the cup final where it mattered.

If they finish in the top 4 it would be a testament to their progress this season. Whether it's below or above us, it won't matter to us or them.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Newcastle have the momentum right now. I think any team in the premiership will struggle to beat them the way they are playing plus the belief.
We are currently playing like a cup team, a reason why I think we’re winning the FA and UEL. This is understandable because United comes with expectations to deliver some sort of plunder at the end of every season. It might slow down our cooking but it’s a price a team like United has to always pay. This will lead to use dropping points and meh performances.
United currently are wrestling victory whilst Newcastle are just playing win/lose/draw and growing in self belief. I’ve watched them against all the big teams this season and non deserved more or equal points against them. They can afford to keep on this route because the don’t have an expectation to win trophies.
Exactly. The big M. It's what its all about

Chairman Steve

We might do but I see no difference between finishing 3rd and 4th really. Both end in automatic CL qualification.

Newcastle have had no Europe which is a HUGE advantage, as well as getting dumped out early of the FA Cup. I don’t even think a lot of their players play regularly internationally either.

Which team would have had the better season? The one that finished 3rd with no trophies or the one that finished 4th that did?

Last edited:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It really doesnt matter now does it? We and them are only concerned with Spurs at this point
Same view as me. All I am interested in is finishing in the top 4. We have already won the LC.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I expect us to be quite strong through the rest of the season. Casemiro, Eriksen and Martial all returning. Makes a HUGE difference. With Sabitzer in the squad now, we have some real depth. Certainly allows us to play Bruno RW when needed to give us more rotation options. Losing Shaw is a blow, but Malacia - while largely average in his talent - has a fierce mentality and will be super competitive when he plays.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Doesn’t matter if we finish above them or not. What matters is getting in the top 4 and I think both us and Newcastle will. We might not finish above them but we’ll be finishing above Liverpool, Chelsea and spurs hopefully. Luckily for us Liverpool and chelsea have been a lot worse than us this season.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
My guess is they get 15-18 more points to end the season, puts them at 68-71 points.
For United, I'm guessing 19-22 points to end the season, putting us at 72-75 points.

So not likely with their fixtures vs ours.

Oscar Bonavena

On current form, no. I don't really give a shit as long as we get top 4 (or win Europa League) but say for example, can any of us imagine United going to West Ham and winning 5-1 at this moment in time, the way Newcastle did the other night? Every game is a struggle for us the last month or so.

RedIan

With Casamiro, Erikson, Martial back we will be a lot stronger And ready for the big finish. At full strength we are better than Newcastle.

Todd

I thought they were dead in the water a month ago, now I'm not so sure.

Just as I thought we'd be turning a corner with Martial, Eriksen, and Casemiro returning, now I'm worried that Rashford could be out for a bit and if that happens we're in big trouble.