Will we finish top 4?

Infra-red

That was my prediction at the start of the season, except I had Arsenal in 2nd for some reason.:lol:

Look, it is a win-win situation. Make Top 4, hooray. Don't make Top 4, then the Glazers will panic and ensure we spend enough to bring in quality players.

There is zero to play for this season. Might as well stop getting worried and just go with the flow. Our attacking players are the worst of the top 6, so how can we even expect to beat our rivals except when they gift us wins? A season out of the CL is not a disaster for us, it is a disaster for the Glazers.
Mourinho will be gone, we'll be back to square one with regards to building a new side and we'll be forced to explain to prospective transfers and managerial candidates why they'd want to come to a side that's managed a top 4 finish once in the preceding five years.

redNATION

Mourinho will be gone, we'll be back to square one with regards to building a new side and we'll be forced to explain to prospective transfers and managerial candidates why they'd want to come to a side that's managed a top 4 finish once in the preceding five years.
That's usually sorted by adding an extra zero to the pay packet; players will still want to join us, we can still pay considerably more than Spurs, Liverpool and Arsenal, even without champions league.

Kapardin

1) Jose won't go. He will atleast see out his contract.

2) We may not be able to attract the likes of Dybala, which would be a blow. But I wouldn't rule it out -- we did after all get some marquee signings in even when we were out of the top 4. But it is about time the club started scouting players similar to the likes of Firmino and other players at lesser clubs who would join us and instantly improve us.

It is not a disaster and I am sick of the Arsenal mentality the board has. They only spend if we are out of the top 4, such a horrible strategy.

catmandeu

Supports
north east united
Depends a lot on our January signings.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
1) Jose won't go. He will atleast see out his contract.

2) We may not be able to attract the likes of Dybala, which would be a blow. But I woudn't rule it out -- we did after all get some marquee signings in even when we were out of the top 4. But it is about time the club started scouting players similar to the likes of Firmino and other players at lesser clubs who would join us and instantly improve us.

It is not a disaster and I am sick of the Arsenal mentality the board has. They only spend if we are out of the top 4, such a horrible strategy.
If we got Pochetino we would definitely be able to attract top South American talent

Kapardin

If we got Pochetino we would definitely be able to attract top South American talent
It is not even about the manager. What are our scouts doing? Why is every target set by the manager? Do not the scouts see some rough gems playing in the lower clubs in the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 and report to the manager?

My grandmother can scout the likes of Griezmann, Dybala and co and say they are good. We need more talented scouts to help the manager rather than entrusting the burden to him.

Devil may care

I wasn't convinced at the start of the season but we got off to a flier, however the side looks not only short of quality but devoid of heart and enthusiasm, it's hard to see how it turns around with the teams breathing down our neck looking like much better attacking units with more team spirit.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It is not even about the manager. What are our scouts doing? Why is every target set by the manager? Do not the scouts see some rough gems playing in the lower clubs in the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 and report to the manager?

My grandmother can scout the likes of Griezmann, Dybala and co and say they are good. We need more talented scouts to help the manager rather than entrusting the burden to him.
Scouts are overrated. Mourinho, as a top manager, should know exactly what players are out there for what he wants to do with the squad. That's not the problem. The problem is what happens after the players are bought - the coaching, the team ethos, the execution. None of it is there.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Nop. Said i a few weeks ago and i'll say it again. Come end of Feb we'll be 3+ points behind 4th :nervous:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Every team has a blip, this is Utd's and it will pass.

2nd or 3rd, depends how good Chelsea will be.
It isn't a blip if it's lasted most of the season, I'm not usually one for openly moaning about us but I can't really see us finishing in the top four at this rate.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Not too late. Going through a terrible time now. Jusr get the acts together and start again

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Battling for 4th (which we won’t get) for another season. Absolutely pathetic.

manunited1919

Depends what reinforcements we get in n January. We need another midfielder, a goal scoaring RW, and perhaps a striker.

DdeGoat

We need to win the Everton game. Win that game and the FA cup tie against Derby, then we can rest for 10 days and come back reinvigorated with fresh ideas. Lose or draw against Everton, and I am not sure if we'll make the top 4.

Simply signing a player or two is not the answer. Playing as a team and getting the best out of the available squad will help us go a long way.

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I'm not sure what some members of the Caf have left to say now. "We're 2nd" is pretty much all they've posted for the last three months.
«We're 3rd!»

«Progress!»

«Citeh!»

«Anomaleh!»

«Moneh!»

«Entitled...eh!»

Yes, I think we will. I still think we will finish second, though in truth it makes no difference, as long as we qualify for the Champions League. We're really struggling just now, but I expect us to rediscover our ability to finish.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I got absolutely slated in a ‘we are actually quite good’ thread by suggesting we will drop out of the top 4 if we didn’t improve. I stand by it. We have been wank for months and results flattered us before December came along.
City, Liverpool and Chelsea are much better than us now. Given that we won’t get more than 2 points from playing any of the top 6 in the latter half of the season, I think it’s safe to say we will be fighting for 5th.
Agree.
We're in the football doldrums

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Next month looking tough for you boys...away games at Everton, Burnley and Spurs so certainly some more points being dropped there.

Alabaster Codify7

Nope. The only team I see us finishing above is Arsenal as theyre even worse. Liverpool are scoring again, and VVD will ensure they improve defensively. Spurs are hitting form too.

Our goose is cooked. Jose is in deep shit, IMO.

Hed Zitin

Flattered to deceive earlier on. Showing our true colours now.

Clean sheet but the defensive stability has vanished. Can't even rely on that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
We won’t with Jose in charge in his current state. He’s doing nothing to change it.

C3Pique

No. Just hope we avoid Europa qualification altogether.

A season of just PL to focus on would do us some good.

Nucks

RT History Department
According to these forums, we will be lucky not to get relegated!

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
No. Liverpool and Tottenham will overtake us.
This is looking more likely now. I fear a battle with Chelsea for 4th place. Crucial game with Chelsea coming up which on current form will be a draw at best. Very poor from Mourinho when we had second in the bag.

Nick7

:lol: ye must really enjoy moaning and being pessimistic. Suppose that's just another excuse to have a little swipe as José though.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
:lol: ye must really enjoy moaning and being pessimistic. Suppose that's just another excuse to have a little swipe as José though.
Entitled to a moan at least once per week especially when our main rivals Liverpool and City put teams away with ease. If we’d have got Porto or Basel we would have struggled to get 1 past them. We play the worlds most boring football for the money we’ve spent and as the thread is about the top 4 I’ll stick with prediction of a tight battle for 4th with Chelsea.

Zahed

Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Arsenal still to play - I'd say the chances of top 4 diminishing.....and it's sad to think we are becoming the new Arsenal - hoping for top 4!

RooneyLegend

At this point i'd back us to keep ahead of Chelsea and Arsenal. Chelsea look a mess half the time and are a Hazard bad game away from a bad result, plus if Barca gives them a hiding, can see it denting their confidence. Arsenal are Arsenal. Spur's are looking really good at this moment and looking like putting on a similar run to last season, which we have no chance of keeping up with. Liverpool, no one really knows what's happening with them. Their defence is likely to make a mess of things at any time. They've shown they can go on a run of solid results, there is the CL to consider and they have it in them to go deep which would distract them.

DdeGoat

The next six will decide if we do or not.

Chelsea (h)
Palace (a)
Liverpool (h)
West Ham (a)
Swansea (h)
City (a)

Anything less than 12 points in these games and I could see us struggling to finish in the top 4. Besides Swansea (are in good form themselves), who will be relatively easier, there are no free meals in those six. Palace and West Ham away will be tough fixtures with two dogged teams having two dogged managers incharge who'll park the bus and make it as tough for us as Rafa and Newcastle did last weekend. There is also the CL tie against Sevilla three days before the Chelsea game and the return leg sandwiched between the Liverpool & West Ham (a) games.