Will we finish top 4?

Nuts

I think Mourinho will win the CL this year, so no need to worry about top 4 at the moment.
I actually feel that Liverpool and maybe even Spurs have more chance of at least going further in Europe.

I think Jose should do the opposite of last year and prioritise the league of Europe - if he comes second he’ll be alright. 5th and it’s curtains.

KGBhoy

I actually feel that Liverpool and maybe even Spurs have more chance of at least going further in Europe.

I think Jose should do the opposite of last year and prioritise the league of Europe - if he comes second he’ll be alright. 5th and it’s curtains.
So give up on the competition we're in already? What's the point of getting into the top 4 then? So you can give up next year again?

To keep this on-topic - this will be tough, but chances are that both Liverpool and Spurs will suffer setbacks too. Look at their respective forms - if anything we have been more consistent than them. Agree that upcoming Chelsea and Liverpool games will be key.

Nuts

So give up on the competition we're in already? What's the point of getting into the top 4 then? So you can give up next year again?

To keep this on-topic - this will be tough, but chances are that both Liverpool and Spurs will suffer setbacks too. Look at their respective forms - if anything we have been more consistent than them. Agree that upcoming Chelsea and Liverpool games will be key.
The point of top four is money and status. We’re not ready to take on the CL yet - if we can qualify again and Jose gets the summer transfer window right then maybe we will be.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics

Jose knows how to win big games as the underdog. He has done it again and again - see Porto and Inter.

In the knock out stages, with a bit of luck and a lot of attitude, you can go far.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
I applaud your optomism, though nothing I have seen so far this season points to us doing it. Though if Athletico Madrid can get to the final like a couple of years back with their negative approach anything is possible.

I don't see why not dude! I mean, he did it with Porto and he did it with Inter. No one ever predicted he could do it.

Underdog all the way, I like this type of games. Play for our lives and win 1-0 games.

diplomat

I don't see why not dude! I mean, he did it with Porto and he did it with Inter. No one ever predicted he could do it.

Underdog all the way, I like this type of games. Play for our lives and win 1-0 games.
Mourinho's Inter was the best Italian team and would easily beat our current side though. Porto as CL winners was incredible, but also almost 14 years ago.

We also definitely lack the attitude, seen as we almost never come back if we concede a goal in a game.

Nuts

Have you seen the Porto and Inter squads though? They were better teams than us.

Big problem for me with competing both domestically and abroad is that we’ve only Lukaku as a centre forward. I think mourinhos biggest mistake this season was re-signing Zlatan. Lukaku’s form has been affected and Zlatan himself is now done at top level.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Have you seen the Porto and Inter squads though? They were better teams than us.

Big problem for me with competing both domestically and abroad is that we’ve only Lukaku as a centre forward. I think mourinhos biggest mistake this season was re-signing Zlatan. Lukaku’s form has been affected and Zlatan himself is now done at top level.

Well, on the day, no one counted Inter to win it.

As for Zlatan, Jose is extremely loyal to those who have his back. So, he did the right thing, after all Zlatan scored many goals for us and he got injured playing with us. So sticking with him was a pure act of loyalty, than anything else.

L1nk

Porto and Inter, 14 and what, 8-10 years ago? Like football hasn't drastically changed and moved on since then, i'd love us to win the CL but we are very very far from it currently, hell you'd have to questiom if we can beat Sevilla on our current form surely

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Mourinho's Inter was the best Italian team and would easily beat our current side though. Porto as CL winners was incredible, but also almost 14 years ago.

We also definitely lack the attitude, seen as we almost never come back if we concede a goal in a game.

Best Italian team, cause Juventus was not even in the frame. A bunch of has been players, with nothing to lose. I still count it as a legendary feat.

We do lack the attitude, but in the big CL games, things can be different.

I am not saying that we are really going to win it, I m just optimistic that this could be the year of the underdog.Hard defense and 1-0 wins.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
Porto and Inter, 14 and what, 8-10 years ago? Like football hasn't drastically changed and moved on since then, i'd love us to win the CL but we are very very far from it currently, hell you'd have to questiom if we can beat Sevilla on our current form surely

we will definitely beat Sevilla, I m not worried about them. This Sevilla play really badly. Unless, they come alive with CL football. Who knows.
But, I think we can do it.

Nuts

Well, on the day, no one counted Inter to win it.

As for Zlatan, Jose is extremely loyal to those who have his back. So, he did the right thing, after all Zlatan scored many goals for us and he got injured playing with us. So sticking with him was a pure act of loyalty, than anything else.
Rubbish. Signing a crocked player has hurt us. I’m surprised more people aren’t bothered by it. You can’t afford to be loyal when City and Pep are steamrollering the league. We should have had a better option than Zlatan from the start of the season.

Fergie 7ime

I honestly thought we had an outside chance to do really well in Europe this year a few weeks ago, but seeing us lately you've got to acknowledge we're so far off the top sides it's not even funny. Throwing in the towel is one thing, but prioritising Europe it is another. With Spurs and Liverpool breathing down our necks in the league i'd rather focus on locking down top 4. It will ensure that Jose has the best chances in the summer transfer window and we'll hopefully have a more reasonable chance to do well in Europe next season.

Jig1234

Choosing a winger over an actual LB to play LB isn't the best way to demonstrate Jose playing concervetly in a big game
Young is a defensive player. He is an average winger and LB. People's perception on what a full back is has been lost at Utd. If you think Young-Valencia are world class I think you should look at what the top sides in the rest of Europe have. Top full backs gets assists regularly vs the best opposition. Ours get exposed and found out vs the best in the PL but are a solid 7/10 vs the rest.

Most top sides have world class full backs which is why they all cost 50+ these days. Mourinho will always go to Ashley Young because he is won't go marauding forward like Shaw. Young who prefers to stay in his half and pass backwards and sideways.

Young and Valencia are diligent and robust. They'll do a job and get solid 7 most games but will always get found out vs top sides.

I know someone will come @ me and say 'Young and Valencia have been our best players this season' In a team with Pogba, Martial, Lukaku, Mata, Matic, Sanchez etc.

The fact that Young and Valencia are our best players is part of the problem. Mourinho doesn't know how to get a tune of out the adventurous footballers he has got and brought to the club. There is a lot of talent at the club but he doesn't know how to maximise its potential, at least not yet. He needs to find a system and shape that compliments everyone not just a few.

If he adapts we might see some more fluidity in our football. At the moment it's all very individualistic, we rely on a bit of brilliance from one player. I don't see any cohesion from defence to midfield to attack. We have no relationships between full back and winger. Our striker is very isolated. I think these are all valued questions to be asking in what is Mourinho's so called 'best season'. I think 2nd place is still attainable but we need to get our act together fast with Spurs and LFC flying and CFC finding a bit of form with Hazard.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Young is a defensive player. He is an average winger and LB. People's perception on what a full back is has been lost at Utd. If you think Young-Valencia are world class I think you should look at what the top sides in the rest of Europe have. Top full backs gets assists regularly vs the best opposition. Ours get exposed and found out vs the best in the PL but are a solid 7/10 vs the rest.

Most top sides have world class full backs which is why they all cost 50+ these days. Mourinho will always go to Ashley Young because he is won't go marauding forward like Shaw. Young who prefers to stay in his half and pass backwards and sideways.
Neither Shaw or Young are particularly great going forward so it's not Shaw being too attack minded which is why he doesn't play it's because Mourinho trusts Young more to be able to do his defensive duties. To insinuate Shaw it too attacking is actually ridiculous as being too timid when attacking is one of the major critiscm's against Shaw last season/early this

Jig1234

Neither Shaw or Young are particularly great going forward so it's not Shaw being too attack minded which is why he doesn't play it's because Mourinho trusts Young more to be able to do his defensive duties. To insinuate Shaw it too attacking is actually ridiculous as being too timid when attacking is one of the major critiscm's against Shaw last season/early this
Shaw isn't perfect but he is still 22. Ashley Young will always be a square peg in a round hole. I don't know if Shaw will be no.LB at Utd but I would like to find out. He is only 22 so he can get better, Young is as good as he will ever be.

I would just prefer to see an actual LB play LB. Someone who understands the position. How do we know Shaw can't outperform Young? He has not had a consistent run of games under Mourinho. He only uses Shaw in home games. Mourinho should give him a chance to prove he can be a first choice LB at Utd over a 32 year old Ashley Young.

Persisting with Ashley Young is an unnecessary, regressive tactic. I hope Shaw starts tomorrow vs Huddersfield.