Will we sign anyone for the first team during the remainder of the January window?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Do you ever stop moaning mate? It's literally every single post. Constant negativity. People can't be arsed with it.
By people do you mean deluded people such as yourself? Our club is in a major crisis. If you can't be critical and moaning right now when can you? We're in danger of going the way Leeds did and the scousers.

sp_107

The only problem is - that would make so much sense and improve us tremendously :) Soumare, Bruno and a striker on loan is exactly what we need. Which means - no way we are getting it :(

Woodward seems to be basing his entire worldview and footballing strategy on the eternal wisdom of George W. Bush's "Fool me—you can't get fooled again.'" He got burned on signing wrong defenders for Mourinho and decided he wouldn't sign defenders for him ever again. Likewise, he got burned on bringing Sanchez in the winter transfer window, to fix immediate issues, and now he has "learned" winter signings are "baaaad", so will keep refusing to fix things in the winter, until he can be fooled again.
Well Said, Struggling to understand why it is taking so long to Ed and the owners to understand the basics of football.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I think we'll complete the Bruno transfer before the current window shuts. The increasing pressure from the match goers and the absolute state of the squad right now leaves Ed and the board with no alternative other than to finalize the deal.

Eric's Seagull

That's the problem, there don't ever seem to be any planning. They will wait until the window opens and then take forever to sign 1 player at a time. Crazy.
Totally agree with you. The planning has been terrible. We were low on numbers in the summer and I thought that as the season progressed they would have done the necessary planning, so come this window they would have had the targets lined up and ready to sign. Especially considering how unlucky we have been with injuries. This idea of working on one player at a time is pathetic because of the amount of time it takes to sign one player with all the haggling over the fee, means that we don't have enough time to sign anymore even if they were after more players.

Smores

Exactly who were our preplanned targets this window? If as it looks we actually only have one per position (at best) then we're in trouble because it doesn't work like that.

sp_107

When Liverpool were not winning many things they managed to pull transfers like Xabi Alonso, Suarez, Torres and same time they wasted lot of money too on average players that's why they failed for longer periods...It happens to every club if the transfers they do are not smart. Our issue is we are making too many mistakes for more than a certain period like 7 years now.

This has to change and better start signings players not only talented but has right mentality to steer the team through troubles with their leadership qualities.

One common thing in Fergie's teams are always more than 5/6 leaders on the pitch who takes responsibility.

TheReligion

Abusive
By people do you mean deluded people such as yourself? Our club is in a major crisis. If you can't be critical and moaning right now when can you? We're in danger of going the way Leeds did and the scousers.
I mean the majority of people who want to use the Caf for some enjoyment and not fade in depression after reading the endless duplicated moans.

Tedious and adds nothing.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Our situation isn't remotely comparable to that of Leeds or Liverpool.

The former went bankrupt due to spending heavily beyond their means, and Dalglish left Liverpool with an overpaid, aging squad that was unsustainable for the club. It took them years to recover.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I mean the majority of people who want to use the Caf for some enjoyment and not fade in depression after reading the endless duplicated moans.

You don't need to reply. Move on if you don't like it.

Also there's a whole lot of moaning going on right now on here, not just from me.

Bestietom

Totally agree with you. The planning has been terrible. We were low on numbers in the summer and I thought that as the season progressed they would have done the necessary planning, so come this window they would have had the targets lined up and ready to sign. Especially considering how unlucky we have been with injuries. This idea of working on one player at a time is pathetic because of the amount of time it takes to sign one player with all the haggling over the fee, means that we don't have enough time to sign anymore even if they were after more players.
We lost out on Haaland and others because of not tying them up for this window. The guy Liverpool bought,
( Maritimo) we supposedly didn't believe he only had a 7.5 million buyout clause. How bad is that if true.

Bestietom

Roll it on a few days. Deadline day 6pm
No players signed. We tried, but we won't pay over the odds.

Eric's Seagull

We lost out on Haaland and others because of not tying them up for this window. The guy Liverpool bought,
( Maritimo) we supposedly didn't believe he only had a 7.5 million buyout clause. How bad is that if true.
I didn't know that about the guy Liverpool signed. That is terrible if true. I can't understand how the feck we didn't do the necessary checking. Reeks of incompetence but that is Ed and co all over.

Focusmate

Supports
Non League
Think we might get Bruno on deadline day but not convinced its enough anyway.
Crazy thing is I think us beasting Tranmere makes the signing slightly less likely which is a nuts way to run a club.
As for 6 signings..... Eds way of working is to offer 20m below the asking price then slowly move up and after a month of messing about pay the original asking price and he can only work on one deal at a time for whatever reason so maybe 3 at best....

KekiZeki

We won't, but I don't think there are genuinly good players out there available to us. January is a difficoult market, we normally got players by throwing our weight and money around, but we won't be breaking the bank just to get someone in anytime soon. Good players are rarely available mid-season.

United Hobbit

No we arent even being strongly linked with anyone apart from Bruno

The transfer window will then slam shut with us signing nobody

Cue an announcement that we are delighted to announce Jlingz has signed a new 5 year deal at the club....

Then theres Liverpool securing Minamino, who would probably walk into our side, yet is a bench option for them, before the window even opens...

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
You don't need to reply. Move on if you don't like it.

Also there's a whole lot of moaning going on right now on here, not just from me.
I know I don't need to reply but you need to accept people don't have the same constant negative opinion and would like some constructive debate. Not the endless negative wise cracks on every single thread. No wonder good people avoid the United forums these days and the quality is garbage. What does saying things like "he'd never sign for us as we are shite" add to the forum or debate? You can only say it so many different ways.

Born2Lose

If Fernandes is too expensive then move the flip on and sign a cheaper option, there must surely be more than one name with our vast scouting network.

With every passing window Woodward's incompetence at any and every becomes more and more evident.

I'd have to laugh if we did eventually sign Fernandes and he flopped hard after we've pissed away two transfer windows trying to negotiate with Sporting.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If Fernandes is too expensive then move the flip on and sign a cheaper option, there must surely be more than one name with our vast scouting network.

With every passing window Woodward's incompetence at any and every becomes more and more evident.

I'd have to laugh if we did eventually sign Fernandes and he flopped hard after we've pissed away two transfer windows trying to negotiate with Sporting.
You want to burn money on a cheaper and worse option? Didn't we just spend 7 years burning money, and you are advocating for more of the same?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What does saying things like "he'd never sign for us as we are shite" add to the forum or debate?
When true, it removes noise - frees up space for more productive conversations than bellyaching about players that have zero intention of coming to our club, such as Sancho. Discussing how Sancho, Mbappe or Neymar would fit into our club is useless and annoying.

TheReligion

Abusive
When true, it removes noise - frees up space for more productive conversations than bellyaching about players that have zero intention of coming to our club, such as Sancho. Discussing how Sancho, Mbappe or Neymar would fit into our club is useless and annoying.
So saying things like "the club is shite and this player won't sign for us" repeatedly and without any explanation or intelligent comment frees up space? No it doesn't. It's just rubbish that should be stamped out by the mods.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Wonder if there'll be another "Dybala" in the dying embers of this window? i.e. a player who is "offered to" Ed by either their club or agent or has some weird clause that comes to light, and which we ultimately run out of time trying to sign?

NewGlory

So saying things like "the club is shite and this player won't sign for us" repeatedly and without any explanation or intelligent comment frees up space? No it doesn't. It's just rubbish that should be stamped out by the mods.
I don’t condone calling our own club “shite” (saying we are in “shite” form, is ok when true), and I agree that repeating the same thing over and over again is wasteful, but all that said:

What “explanation” or “intelligent comment” do you need to agree that world-class stars and world-class prospects with abundance of choices will not join a club that is not in champions league and consistently struggles to make champions league + has reputation for clueless club hierarchy?

We are in a state in which we need recruitment that can find hidden gems, like Leicester seems to be able to, instead of drooling over players who won’t join us.

TheReligion

Abusive
I don’t condone calling our own club “shite” (saying we are in “shite” form, is ok when true), and I agree that repeating the same thing over and over again is wasteful, but all that said:

What “explanation” or “intelligent comment” do you need to agree that world-class stars and world-class prospects with abundance of choices will not join a club that is not in champions league and consistently struggles to make champions league + has reputation for clueless club hierarchy?
Saying something like "I don't think the player would join because of x y and z" is much better, and less provocative, than simply trying to insult and belittle the club at every opportunity.

It turns the Caf into a cesspit of negativity and generally an unpleasant place to be.

NewGlory

Saying something like "I don't think the player would join because of x y and z" is much better, and less provocative, than simply trying to insult and belittle the club at every opportunity.

It turns the Caf into a cesspit of negativity and generally an unpleasant place to be.
That is fair, and you have all the right to be annoyed by people who feed on negativity and create it at every opportunity. I hope you also can understand that, in a similar vain, it may be annoying for reasonable posters to keep seeing unattainable players discussed ad nauseam.

TheReligion

Abusive
That is fair, and you have all the right to be annoyed by people who feed on negativity and create it at every opportunity. I hope you also can understand that, in a similar vain, it may be annoying for reasonable posters to keep seeing unattainable players discussed ad nauseam.
There's a balance to be had in the middle, I agree. That said if there's a thread to discuss a player who may/may not sign for United you should expect discussion about that surely? It seems some people would be best avoiding that thread if they have nothing constructive to add.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Thanks. Some people on here still think we're the same club we were under Gill and Fergie.

They can call me negative all they like.....Sancho wouldn't come to us right now. He'll want to stay in the Champions League for starters. Haaland has also joined a team (same one) in the CL and who will be in it again next season. There's a high possibility we wont be.

People don't want to accept the truth because they want to be seen as "top reds". Drives me mad.

SirMattlives

I think most of us really have no clue how a transfer works so it's easy to read daily updates and get annoyed with what appears to be dithering. But we are talking multi-million pound contracts, loads of fees, rights, conditions etc. I suspect if EW can shave a couple of million off the bottom line on any part of this process then the board and Glazers want him to do so. I really don't imagine he's sitting around going 'oh, I've lots of time, let's see how it all looks on Jan 30th' or whatever else it might seem to us from outside. Yes, other clubs 'seem' to find it easier but part of that is the media fascination with anything United do so it's all talked about constantly, and the reality that when United come knocking, the selling club sees money being easier to extract.

So, what do I expect?...I still think the Bruno deal can happen, and if/when it does, no doubt the story will be how we were screwed over (there is no other story anyone wants to report), and I'd like to think we have a temp solution being worked on for coverage up front but that also worries me. Maybe it would be a bonus to get a temp striker in, but we have one benchwarming over in Milan so I am wary of seasoned pros looking for a payday.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I am so unhappy that we have not yet signed a player this window.

From a completely Norwegian point of view, having OGs as the manager AND being a lifetime MUFC fan is the absolute dream. But seeing that dream threatened by a combination of injuries of not only key players, but THE key players on this team, and several of the squad players disappearing completely from form, resulting in the obvious scenario of lackluster performances, doubled with unsuccessful transfer windows, makes me absolutely nauseous.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I think we'll complete the Bruno transfer before the current window shuts. The increasing pressure from the match goers and the absolute state of the squad right now leaves Ed and the board with no alternative other than to finalize the deal.
I actually wonder if there is much interest from us, or if it's all a Bruno camp / media creation.

I just can't get over the idea that it's madness to allow Solskjaer to spend loads more, when he's teetering on the brink of the sack,or will be when top 4 is out the window.

We've just spent 3 changes of managers where they then haven't fancied the last one's signings.

Strelok

We won't, but I don't think there are genuinly good players out there available to us. January is a difficoult market, we normally got players by throwing our weight and money around, but we won't be breaking the bank just to get someone in anytime soon. Good players are rarely available mid-season.
If buying is too expensive how about some loans?

Rooney1987

I like this approach to a point getting rid of deadwood, not throwing away money and bad contracts. Taking time for the right targets is a good move.

However things have changed, considering we won’t see Pogba till April, McSauce till March and Rashford maybe out for the season the squad is on its knees. It’s putting Martial, Greenwood, Matic and Fred at risk with getting overplayed with Europa back soon. Imagine if any of those 4 gets injured. Surely the 50 plus scouts can find a CM and ST just for 6 months loan? This would not hamper the clubs strategy.

sunama

Baghdad Bob

So, you want fake positivity?
Here goes:
We will sign a DoF in a month or so, who will go onto start making fundamental changes and Woodward will no longer play the role of DoF.
In the next few days we will sign 3 players, which we have never done in a January window.
After signing those 3 players, we will make top 4.
When we make top 4, next year, we will be in the CL and Ole, in a complete turnaround, will start winning many games.
Our scouts, who for several years have not unearthed any cheap gems - will now begin to find these unheard of players, who turn out to be great.
The mentality of our squad will begin to be that of a winning team's mentality. Several players will come out of their shells and become leaders.
Our sports doctors will no longer allow players to become overweight and Luke Shaw will start next season, 2 stones lighter, turning him into one of the LB on the planet!
Our coaches will begin to coach our players, which makes it clear for everyone to see, on the pitch.
Going forward, we will no longer be just a counter attacking team. We will now have a style of play which attempts to dominate and attack the opponent.

You want to read more stuff like this OR do you want me to read the truth?

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
For the first time in this long and (personally) naive transfer window.. I don’t think we’ll sign anybody.

I think the protests against the board will really intensify as a result

NewGlory

I actually wonder if there is much interest from us, or if it's all a Bruno camp / media creation.

I just can't get over the idea that it's madness to allow Solskjaer to spend loads more, when he's teetering on the brink of the sack,or will be when top 4 is out the window.

We've just spent 3 changes of managers where they then haven't fancied the last one's signings.
Right, and most of us are not obsessed by Bruno per se, and would be totally fine if we went for somebody like Boubakary Soumare instead, or a completely unknown footballer who is going to become next Maddison. However when you see transfer window closing, with us having paper-thin squad and next to non-existent midfield - the outrage is completely justified.

On your next point - we should be able to sign couple decent midfielders, because we desperately need those, regardless of who is our next coach come the summer. A new manager can add slight touch of their own, but you can never buy an entire squad for a new manager, so you should have a decent squad, built over multiple transfer windows, regardless of the current coach. The concept of “don’t buy anybody in case we sack our manager” is a nonsense fueled by misguided concepts and propaganda from Woodward. Not to mention that a lot of us believe Ole is not going anywhere, at least not in Woodward’s mind.

Us not getting any transfers or loans right now, when we really need them, or getting leftovers at 11th hour, is simply an indication of inept recruitment, nothing more, nothing less.

JoaquinJoaquin

Judging by the amount of journos tweeting in the last hour that it's looking like 0 players coming in, I'd guess that was correct.

What a joke of a club.