Will we sign anyone for the first team during the remainder of the January window?

Xaviboy

Place be toxic if we dont sign any new players Friday and we get beaten Saturday v Wolves

TrueRed79

Only signed 6 first team players in last 4 transfer windows. Inept, dysfunctional club. A disgrace considering our financial resources. Can you imagine what it'll be like if we continue to be shit and don't make top 4? Match day at OT would be beyond toxic. Board better pray we turn things around.

Red_toad

No Ed has put a hold on the winter window, he’s holding off until the summer and we get our 2 new signings back from their loan deals. Pure value...

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Right, and most of us are not obsessed by Bruno per se, and would be totally fine if we went for somebody like Boubakary Soumare instead, or a completely unknown footballer who is going to become next Maddison. However when you see transfer window closing, with us having paper-thin squad and next to non-existent midfield - the outrage is completely justified.

On your next point - we should be able to sign couple decent midfielders, because we desperately need those, regardless of who is our next coach come the summer. A new manager can add slight touch of their own, but you can never buy an entire squad for a new manager, so you should have a decent squad, built over multiple transfer windows, regardless of the current coach. The concept of “don’t buy anybody in case we sack our manager” is a nonsense fueled by misguided concepts and propaganda from Woodward. Not to mention that a lot of us believe Ole is not going anywhere, at least not in Woodward’s mind.

Us not getting any transfers or loans right now, when we really need them, or getting leftovers at 11th hour, is simply an indication of inept recruitment, nothing more, nothing less.
Different managers rate players differently.
Lukaku is a "good" player for instance. And ogs quickly realised he didn't fit what he was trying to do.

There's countless examples.
So the concept of there being a universal good and bad player list, with every manager liking everyone on the former is the nonsense.

We're planning long term these days. To suddenly buy players just due to injuries isn't part of the plan.

Yes we're badly run, but it's all (apparently) on selected targets and only those now.
OGS will be gone in the summer and a manager will hopefully be backed better.

Okey

It can't really be over stated can it? We've been slowly run into the ground as a club for the last few years, but not signing anyone this window might just be the height of it. We're in dire straits even with our full squad, and there's an injury crisis to boot. The board would be basically inviting a riot. The biggest PR minds in the world won't be able to spin a lack of signings this window. Even non United fans would be fuming on our behalf.

KekiZeki

I like this approach to a point getting rid of deadwood, not throwing away money and bad contracts. Taking time for the right targets is a good move.

However things have changed, considering we won’t see Pogba till April, McSauce till March and Rashford maybe out for the season the squad is on its knees. It’s putting Martial, Greenwood, Matic and Fred at risk with getting overplayed with Europa back soon. Imagine if any of those 4 gets injured. Surely the 50 plus scouts can find a CM and ST just for 6 months loan? This would not hamper the clubs strategy.
Solskjaer said we might be out there for short term solution so it's not that he doesn't want players in...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Different managers rate players differently.
Lukaku is a "good" player for instance. And ogs quickly realised he didn't fit what he was trying to do.

There's countless examples.
So the concept of there being a universal good and bad player list, with every manager liking everyone on the former is the nonsense.

We're planning long term these days. To suddenly buy players just due to injuries isn't part of the plan.

Yes we're badly run, but it's all (apparently) on selected targets and only those now.
OGS will be gone in the summer and a manager will hopefully be backed better.
Ole was fine with Lukaku, it was Lukaku who didn’t want to play second fiddle to Rash—Martial (or wanted CL football, we don’t know what his motivations were) and forced the exit.

Either way - I clearly said any manager will want to add their own touch by having couple signings that fit their style, but you cannot sign 22 players when you hire a new manager, so when you are in “rebuild” (i.e. you have many players to change) is exactly when your squad building should not be overly manager-specific. We can’t wait for the ideal manager to then buy dozens of new players. That’s not how it works.

Amerifan

It can't really be over stated can it? We've been slowly run into the ground as a club for the last few years, but not signing anyone this window might just be the height of it. We're in dire straits even with our full squad, and there's an injury crisis to boot. The board would be basically inviting a riot. The biggest PR minds in the world won't be able to spin a lack of signings this window. Even non United fans would be fuming on our behalf.
Season tickets are already sold, sponsorship deals made, honestly, the only people who care about winning are the fans, and as long as they remain fans the club doesn’t care if they’re happy or not. Come summer they’ll get everyone’s hopes up. Rinse and repeat.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I hope that we will not sign any player. So far all Ole's signings are "too specific". By that i mean that they are good for one system but not for some other. This is not criticsm of Ole or our signings. It is normal that manager buys players who are best for his style of football.
But if we will hire another manager for next season then it is better that that manager has more money to spent.

Russky14

I notice that BT sport keep playing "too good to go down". The 2020 version will be "pure incompetence and so shite every chance they will go down"

I see us getting no more than 1 point from the next two matches. And if it pans out viz a vie no transfers in I think many are going to papping themselves within a few weeks. We can't break teams down that sit deep and always easy for a sucker punch which will mean a paltry points return over the next 6 to 8 weeks - trouble.

always_hoping

I hope that we will not sign any player. So far all Ole's signings are "too specific". By that i mean that they are good for one system but not for some other. This is not criticsm of Ole or our signings. It is normal that manager buys players who are best for his style of football.
But if we will hire another manager for next season then it is better that that manager has more money to spent.
As supporters we should be dealing in the now. We need at least 2 quality players signed. 4th is still a possibility or option B win the Europa league.

I don't expect this incompetent board to sign anyone and they probably won't sign anyone next summer until they receive big money on more departures.

ArjenIsM3

Ole obviously wants us to sign players. Has said so many times now. Disappointing but predictable if we don't sign anyone. Our board is incompetent.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Only signed 6 first team players in last 4 transfer windows. Inept, dysfunctional club. A disgrace considering our financial resources. Can you imagine what it'll be like if we continue to be shit and don't make top 4? Match day at OT would be beyond toxic. Board better pray we turn things around.
Not sure. There are still too many fans, ex-players, pundits etc. who still don't see an issue. We have been on that road for 6 years, we made 0 progress, we put us in a terrible situation and are completely unable to change anything. The Glazers don't care, Ed is incompetent and Ole is just a very very shitty manager... Trio infernale at the wheel

RUCK4444

Ole obviously wants us to sign players. Has said so many times now. Disappointing but predictable if we don't sign anyone. Our board is incompetent.
This. I think the fact we didn’t get more in the summer irked Ole (no matter what he said to the press at the time) and with it being compounded by Zero signings in January that’s just a joke.

I’ve said all season, and at the time, £75 million net spend was nowhere near enough when you consider the scale of the rebuild we needed (not to mention a new manager with his first window as well.)

Look at what Real Madrid did in the summer when they had a rebuild, that should be us spending our own money, getting sh*t done.

Glazers are taking the p*ss

Brophs

The One and Only
Doesn’t that assume that they’re unable rather than unwilling?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not feeling particularly optimistic, I think we're making a huge mistake not signing anybody. But I also don't think we should be taken for a ride by clubs like Sporting.

JoaquinJoaquin

I'm not feeling particularly optimistic, I think we're making a huge mistake not signing anybody. But I also don't think we should be taken for a ride by clubs like Sporting.
Taken for a ride? They aren't going to just give us their best player. Stop falling for the club narrative that it's the other team stopping it. It's a load of crap.

C'est Moi Cantona

Taken for a ride? They aren't going to just give us their best player. Stop falling for the club narrative that it's the other team stopping it. It's a load of crap.
Yep, it's an open goal of a signing, that we are absolutely desperate for, but we just won't pay what Sporting want.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Haven't you heard, we can only sign like 3 players in a window maximum or the team explodes! And of course none in the winter, just give it 3 years!

Paul_Scholes18

If we still had Fellaini we could trade him for Longstaff, Dier or Rice potentially.
Stupidity to let him go last year.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I'm not falling for any narrative, I'm very skeptical about what our club has been briefing. Castles has been on top of this from the get go, he said Sporting said they think top 4 for United is an unrealistic goal which was listed as one of the bonuses being put forward, to me top 4 is perfectly achievable especially if you add Fernandes into the equation coupled with players to return from injury. Both teams are holding up the deal, it won't be one or the other.

fps

Solskjaer said we might be out there for short term solution so it's not that he doesn't want players in...
None of this is Ole’s fault, but he has spent the entire transfer window basically stalling everyone and tiding them over til it’s done.

fps

If we still had Fellaini we could trade him for Longstaff, Dier or Rice potentially.
Stupidity to let him go last year.
Fellaini was one of the most depressing signings in the club’s history. And I’d kill to have him here now.

Alabaster Codify7

THIS.
We paid Benfica £30m for a bloody CB. I don't blame Sporting one bit for wanting more than £50m for their star player who has turned out ridiculous numbers in terms of goals and assists. These are the same fecking fans that call others 'entitled and spoiled' yet they have the audacity to slate Lisbon in this situation for not bending over and allowing us to take their best player for less than they think he's worth.

THAT is entitled and spoiled. Bunch of absolute jokers.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
None of this is Ole’s fault, but he has spent the entire transfer window basically stalling everyone and tiding them over til it’s done.
What is he supposed to say? He has stated several times that he was hoping to get a couple of players in, but it looks increasingly that we will get no one. Still looks like he has to get rid of players before the board (Ed) will sanction any incomings. Looks like Ed wants Ole to play the youngsters, cause it won't cost anything, and will mean not spending big money, so the club will keep pushing the 'always give youth a chance' spiel. Not that I'm against bringing young players in, I'm very much in favour of it, but there has to be a balance.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Getting closer and closer to deadline day.

I’m more worried about the summer with the euros on. Do the club even realize? Do they have a plan to start recruitment talks early?

48 hours

Went into the window desperate for new players.

Looking like we will actually just be 2 players lighter with Young and Rojo leaving

Utdstar01

Anybody who thinks we are being taken for a ride by Sporting needs to wake up. Look at the current market we are in. 20m these days gets you a Solanke. Bruno is well worth what we would be paying and would carry resale value if he doesn't quite adapt. The potential rewards massively outweigh any risk in this deal.

NJM78

Getting closer and closer to deadline day.

I’m more worried about the summer with the euros on. Do the club even realize? Do they have a plan to start recruitment talks early?
They are no doubt preparing to get ready to make a plan.

No Love

‘Kinell, it really is getting close to the crunch now and I’m feeling less optimistic. I think Bruno would give the whole club a boost and at least some optimism heading into the next few months.

Mind you, at this rate we not make any signings and have to have camp out in the sequel to the, ‘Wot, no transfers?’ thread. God have mercy.

Kostov

We have signed a total of 6 players in the last 4 transfer windows, if we count this one, that's including 3rd GK Grant and a kid in Dalot. Absolute joke.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We have signed a total of 6 players in the last 4 transfer windows, if we count this one, that's including 3rd GK Grant and a kid in Dalot. Absolute joke.
Yeap. And if you count how many left, without any backfill...

Crustanoid

Even if we do somehow sign Bruno, Ed can't be forgiven for not getting this sorted in the Autumn and having the player in training 1st Jan and ready to go. He has cost us points, possibly cup competitions and injuries with his shoddy approach to transfers. And we should have had 2-3 first teamers this window to stand a chance of top 4. Incompetent moron