Will we sign anyone for the first team during the remainder of the January window?

jackal&hyde

It would be negligence if we don't. Talk about what players want to come to Man Utd, i don't know what manager would want to come with how slow we are in the transfer market. Start of a major rebuild and we spend 70mil net in the first season :houllier:

Alabaster Codify7

Agree 100% with this. This is an exact re-run on last season. We had that 6 in BS then too.

And lots fell for it, too. As they will this time. Then we'll get rid of 3-4 players in the summer meaning we essentially need 9 signings to be competitive, and we'll sign...…..three.

fps

No. And it is ridiculous because United could never be as bad as this again and still win a champions league place.

MS4

Exactly.
We really need to win the Europa League and we can't achieve that with the thin and weakened squad we have.

Hughes35

No, I don't think we will. . We will also have a frustrating summer where we buy 2-3 players and it's just not enough. (Selling Pogba also)

I really hope i'm wrong and we get Fernandes on deadline day.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
No, I don't think we will. . We will also have a frustrating summer where we buy 2-3 players and it's just not enough. (Selling Pogba also)

I really hope i'm wrong and we get Fernandes on deadline day.
The only consolation will be Woodward and the Glazers never going to our games again, if they think it is bad now, it will get even worse in future.

Roboc7

I doubt we’ll buy anyone, Bellingham is going to stay at Birmingham and Fernandes deal seems to be getting more unlikely.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Don't think we will get anyone now. Woodward and Judge are playing a dangerous game here if they are expecting Sporting to bow to our demands. Yes they may be in financial trouble but potentially more money on offer in the summer if Fernandes has a decent Euro 2020.

Bite the bullet now and if we end up paying an extra 5M Euros to land now so he is settled and ease some of the burden on the pitch, it may be the signing that just about scratches 4th place or potential Europa league win then it's no bad thing

romufc

Looks like we wont sign anyone, we need to get chants about Woodward failing in his promises.

Is he really determined to bring the club back on top? what is the evidence?

Hughes35

The only consolation will be Woodward and the Glazers never going to our games again, if they think it is bad now, it will get even worse in future.
Very true. We will see Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Wolves, Newcastle (if they get Saudi money) and Leicester strengthen again. The summer is going to be very depressing IMO.

Any decently ran club would sign Fernandes now with somebody like Cavani on loan, then sign 4-5 players in the summer.

Not seeing the Glazers really might be the only positive. (I'm a ray of sunshine aren't I)

Mike Smalling

If we dont sign anyone, I think we can finally put our top 4 hopes to rest for this season. Hopefully it is a sign that we will try to bring in a new manager in the summer, and let him set the transfer direction, but most likely it is just incompetence on the part of our leadership.

Happy days.

wolvored

We won 6-0 Woody will think everythings rosy and will be alright. Lingy and Jonesy scoring . Maggy getting his first goal. When we get hammered on Wednesday, he will panic and pay £80 million for Fernandes on Friday. Job done.

DomesticTadpole

Very true. We will see Liverpool, City, Chelsea, Tottenham, Wolves, Newcastle (if they get Saudi money) and Leicester strengthen again. The summer is going to be very depressing IMO.

Any decently ran club would sign Fernandes now with somebody like Cavani on loan, then sign 4-5 players in the summer.

Not seeing the Glazers really might be the only positive. (I'm a ray of sunshine aren't I)
Maybe Ole finds it taxing trying to cope with more than three new players at a time after his Cardiff experience.

DomesticTadpole

We won 6-0 Woody will think everythings rosy and will be alright. Lingy and Jonesy scoring . Maggy getting his first goal. When we get hammered on Wednesday, he will panic and pay £80 million for Fernandes on Friday. Job done.
Do you think he struggles with a nickname for Gomes, Chongy has a nice ring to it.

Bestietom

Our transfer dealings are shite. It takes far too long and at the end of the day we will end up paying the fee that was asked from the start.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
We will get no players.

We will get alot of lip service and soundbites like -

We have players coming back
Players have to be available
Right fit and Culture
Jesse is Messi waiting to happen
I speak to Ed every week
Trust me
Klopp is a dick
Luke Shaw is the future
We are going down, I said we are going down.
Glazers are helpful

wolvored

This is the worst thing that can happen. If they dont turn up at all, they dont hear how the crowd react when we get worse and worse. The money will still roll in albeit less and less, so the transfer budget will get cut even more. Ole will be here long term as he wont rock the boat, and gradually we will be playing for top 12 every season. We need them here when we get hammered, so they either do something real about improving the playing side, or think about selling up.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
By the time Rashford kicks a ball for us again i think we'll be between 8th and 11th in league. Wolves, Spurs n Arsenal will all surely finish above us now unless we sign some players. Rashford has carried us this season if we are honest.

DomesticTadpole

This is the worst thing that can happen. If they dont turn up at all, they dont hear how the crowd react when we get worse and worse. The money will still roll in albeit less and less, so the transfer budget will get cut even more. Ole will be here long term as he wont rock the boat, and gradually we will be playing for top 12 every season. We need them here when we get hammered, so they either do something real about improving the playing side, or think about selling up.
If they think we are going to sign players for Daniel James fees we will be in serious trouble.

DomesticTadpole

I'm beginning to think they do feel we can sign players for James type fees.
Then we will sink. I like James, but to me he should not be starting. We will have a squad full of bench fillers. The teams in the Championship will be wanting as much as they can get and I do not trust our scouting system, looking at past performances, to find talent abroad. The real talent they somehow seem to miss, even though it is screaming at them.

romufc

Doesn't look like there is any appetite to sign any players from the board.

Ole keeps saying there is money available to buy player, but i feel he would say that and it could mean £2m or £100m.

Ed looks like he will negotiate each transfer to death, paying exactly what they wanted in the end having wasted alot of time.

Lets be honest, we will not sign players in Jan.

I doubt we will get more than 2 in the summer too.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
If there was a poll, I'd vote for no first team signings happening.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Signing nobody could be what we need for the long term. It's going to cost us short term and mean we'll probably drop like a stone in the league which will hurt but it could move a takeover closer.

Going to have to finish lower than 5th and 6th every year to get them out it seems.

Brigate Rosse

No.

I think we're sticking to the policy of only going after identified targets that meet certain criteria

You can argue about whether those criteria are positive (young, hungry, want play for us, fit into the needs of the team) or negative (cheap, will say yes, etc.) but either way the end result is the same.

I think we would've signed Haland if he'd wanted to come.

But aside from that I think we've identified a fairly restricted list of targets who we'll focus on, none of whom are available now.

Bruno *might* be an exception to this, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bestietom

As Rio Ferdinand said. There is not many youngsters growing up who are rushing to buy a United shirt anymore.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Last summer we needed about 6 players, so signed 3.

This Jan we need about 3... so we'll sign 0.

We're nothing if not consistent.

Banana Republic

Our January transfer dealing all hinges now on buying a 16 year old kid from Sunderland.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We'll probably sign Bellingham and Pye from Birmingham and Sunderland respectively and loan them to their clubs. Will also probably sign Bruno but I wouldn't hold my breath for that one.

Bestietom

Last summer we needed about 6 players, so signed 3.

This Jan we need about 3... so we'll sign 0.

We're nothing if not consistent.
It's a crying shame to see our club go down like this so fast. I would be happy like most fans to see us bring in a striker with Fernandes this window. Then a good overhaul in the summer, if they really mean a REBUILD

padzilla

Hipster
I guess they are sending a message they won't be held to ransom and are prepared to be stubborn to the extent it might derail their team, hoping in future windows United won't pay over the odds. Risky to say the least.

Bestietom

I guess they are sending a message they won't be held to ransom and are prepared to be stubborn to the extent it might derail their team, hoping in future windows United won't pay over the odds. Risky to say the least.
We need the player, they need the money. It will drag out until nearer deadline day. Who bows first now.

Eric's Seagull

At a minuimum we need Bruno and a striker on loan. I would have liked to get another midfielder in also but that is not happening. I think at best we will get Bruno in at the end of the window, if we get in anybody at all. We desperately need players in while we still have a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

Really disappointed with how this window has gone. But I still hope that we get some business done in the last few days but I'm not confident of it happening. Ideally we should have at least signed Bruno by now but if we get him in I'll be happy and we just get on with it and hope that come the summer Ed and co will have done the necessary planning and don't feck up which it seems they are going to do this window.

Bestietom

At a minuimum we need Bruno and a striker on loan. I would have liked to get another midfielder in also but that is not happening. I think at best we will get Bruno in at the end of the window, if we get in anybody at all. We desperately need players in while we still have a chance of qualifying for the Champions League.

Really disappointed with how this window has gone. But I still hope that we get some business done in the last few days but I'm not confident of it happening. Ideally we should have at least signed Bruno by now but if we get him in I'll be happy and we just get on with it and hope that come the summer Ed and co will have done the necessary planning and don't feck up which it seems they are going to do this window.
That's the problem, there don't ever seem to be any planning. They will wait until the window opens and then take forever to sign 1 player at a time. Crazy.