Will we wear white socks in Europe again this year?

padzilla

Hipster
The only reason I ask is because it is going to make our already horrible on the eyes kit even more odd looking...

Nero

The fact we do has irritated me for over 20 years.

20solskjaer

Wasn’t there a rule way back when that stated socks had to be the same colour as the shorts and it’s something we carried on as a tradition?
Not sure about a rule way back but im pretty sure the reason we wear white socks its to do with the lighting and the players seeing the ball/each other during the evening game, i think we wear white socks in monday night kick offs too

stevoc

Because our socks are black, not white. For some random reason we wear white socks in Europe. I just find it strange.
Well not in Europe for the last 20+ years they aren't. It's not a random reason, the European kit that was launched in 1997 had white socks instead of black. We won the treble wearing that kit and Ferguson obviously decided to carry it on as a tradition. Thats good enough for me, personally i've liked that our kit looks slightly different in European games.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Well not in Europe for the last 20+ years they aren't. It's not a random reason, the European kit that was launched in 1997 had white socks instead of black. We won the treble wearing that kit and Ferguson obviously decided to carry it on as a tradition. Thats good enough for me, personally i've liked that our kit looks slightly different in European games.
Funnily enough I asked both Ferguson and David Gill about this when I was at a function...neither of them knew why.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Funnily enough I asked both Ferguson and David Gill about this when I was at a function...neither of them knew why.
You had a chance to ask SAF and Gill questions, and that's what you wanted to know? :D

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Same question to both of them, even :lol:

They were both sitting next to me.

I had about an hour in their company...we spoke about tons of stuff and they were very open about most topics. The hosts were showing video clips and the white strip came up and Fergie mentioned that he really liked playing away in that strip. We then talked about the grey strip in 1999 and the topic of European kits came up.

This isn't very complex.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I’m not sure why they get all that hate. Every time I see them I get recent memories from our fantastic 07-09 team and I quite like it.

stevoc

Yeah ok then, maybe it was Albert Morgans decision and no one noticed or questioned it for 15 years. Obviously someone made the decision, it wasn't the kit manufacturer. We switched from Umbro to Nike to Adidas and they all kept the white socks in europe going.

99withaflake

There should be a poll:
  1. White shorts, black socks
  2. White shorts, white socks
  3. Black shorts, black socks
  4. Black shorts, white socks
It would be fun to participate in this poll and I'd be itching the see the results.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We need to make the permanent transition to white socks. They compliment the kit so much better.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
There should be a poll:
  1. White shorts, black socks
  2. White shorts, white socks
  3. Black shorts, black socks
  4. Black shorts, white socks
It would be fun to participate in this poll and I'd be itching the see the results.
But the socks atm are mostly red aren’t they?

M Utd

Haha slow news day when this thread is near the top.

Only a slightly related note do Arsenal still all wear the same sleeve length? Going back to the Adams/Vieira days I'm sure they had a captain decides policy. So if the captain decides to wear short sleeves all other players had to also wear short sleeves.

Last edited by a moderator: