William Saliba

Skills

Snitch
Ridiculous comment. You could say that if he joined any other PL club not called Man City or Liverpool, any other French club bar PSG.

How long is Sancho's contract? 4 years left? well, that's those years down the drain...
He spends the next 5 years of his career at Real and he'll rack up at least 1 CL Title and a couple of La Liga's. What's he achieving in the next 5 years at Arsenal?

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He spends the next 5 years of his career at Real and he'll rack up at least 1 CL Title and a couple of La Liga's. What's he achieving in the next 5 years at Arsenal?
Who knows. 5 year ago Liverpool weren't in the best shape.

He's a boyhood Arsenal fan, who is now playing in a much more structured team which will give him global exposure.

Even if he signed a 2 year extension, 4 seasons time he'll be 25 and ripe to move if he wanted it. And even if he wanted to move earlier, if he's as good as he can be they'll be suitors for big money.

People can mock Arsenal all they want for loaning him out, but the kid lost both his parents aged 19/20 and wanted to go back to France. Would many clubs let a £30m asset go out of preference? Not sure. And it's worked for his development well too.

If anything as a club we are too generious on that side. With Torreira when he lost his mum he wanted to go back to Italy, and we let him. Doing so means he's worthless now for us. It could have gone that way for Saliba too, but he had the mentality to fight through it which is a rare trait.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Depends if he wants to play in the farmers league or not. Plus he is a bit of a hero in Marseille.

How much fun will Mane have at Bayern going 5-0 up at half time away to Frankfurt who won the Europea League last year.

And whilst his at Arsenal, he should take around and look at the array of quality players his age and might think he is at the right club

Saka 20, Martinelli 21, ESR 21, Odegaard 23, Gabriel 24, White 24, Tomiyasu 22, Ramsdale 24, Vieira 22, Nketiah 23. Even Jesus and Zinchenko are only 25. Throw Saliba into the mix at 21 and its obvious what Mikel Arteta is trying to do
You talk as if Ligue 1 is the only league . Pretty much every big club would come for him next year.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
True bro. If Sancho spends the next 5 years of his career at Real and he'll rack up at least 1 CL Title and a couple of La Liga's. What's he achieving in the next 5 years at Man Utd?

See how this works?

Skills

Snitch
True bro. If Sancho spends the next 5 years of his career at Real and he'll rack up at least 1 CL Title and a couple of La Liga's. What's he achieving in the next 5 years at Man Utd?

See how this works?
Well luckily Sancho's contract situation is more favourable for United, than Saliba's for Arsenal.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

See how this works?
:lol: someone got offended. Sancho isn't talking to anyone next year. Sancho is English.

Seriously, stop arguing for the sake of it.

ThierryFabregas

Supports
Arsenal
Well sure if Real Madrid or PSG are offering him a starting spot he almost 100% would go next summer or free on the season after

The thing is he's a 21yo CB and he did have quite a few errors leading to goal last season. I've also read that he's weak on crosses. So he isn't the finished article just yet and there were some doubts if he'd be starting this season. Arsenal are a good team for him to develop at now that he's getting regular game time. They can also offer him a very large pay increase which he could take now and maybe move to Real or PSG in 3-4 seasons time when he's transitioning into his prime. Moving to Real Madrid when your in your early 20s doesn't always work. See Isco and Jovic who's development was severely impaired. If Saliba goes to Real next summer and he only gets 10-15 games a season he'll never reach his potential. Take the example of Rio Ferdinand, who was a generational talent. SAF said he was too error prone at West Ham and he only eventually signed him at the age of 24 from Leeds. That's 3 years older than Saliba is now and even then Rio wasn't the finished article initially for United.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
He is the only potential world class player Arsenal will have. Especially if he renews. He is insane. Never seen anything quite like him at Arsenal since the days of the invincibles.

So calm and not jittery at all. Hope he renews his contract before having a go at PSG/ Real.

For me, I hype him up to the same level as Fabregas when he broke into the Arsenal squad.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
I knew it was a mistake to start this thread.
90minutes and already fighting to know where he will sign on a free :lol:
I'm curious how things will shape up when Tomiyasu comes back and EL games start. Will he be given the nod in the PL ?

Lincm

Supports
Arsenal
90minutes and already fighting to know where he will sign on a free :lol:
I'm curious how things will shape up when Tomiyasu comes back and EL games start. Will he be given the nod in the PL ?
Ben white seems most likely the fall guy. But nice to know that there is good rotation there given the Europa league. Half the time arsenal runs their players ragged without quality backup or smart rotation (Saka auba etcetc.

I think most teams are realising the need for quality depth when you're playing in europe. Then it comes down to man management and keeping the so called fringe players happy. SAF was a master at that.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Not worry a bit whether a player renews or not. Most players are running down their contracts nowadays anyway. It is up to the club whether they can convince the players to stay. If not so be it, move on. Brighton doesn't have all these "super stars" and still delivered on the pitch.

BurgerVan

Supports
Arsenal
:lol: someone got offended. Sancho isn't talking to anyone next year. Sancho is English.

Seriously, stop arguing for the sake of it.
I was just making a point, not arguing. And yes, I am really 'offended'. Sigh.

This is a great forum, probably the best. Interesting members, accommodating mods. The only downside is the people who think the little green laughing emoji somehow makes them superior, when in reality most of the time it shows the individual would fit in better at RAWK.

Good day to you.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Footballers are actual people with lives. They get accustomed to living in a city and may actually enjoy the environment they live in. When people say 'if PSG or Real Madrid come in for him he is gone', you dont know that. You dont know what Saliba is thinking. Its not football manager where the outcome is determined by an algorithm.

Plus, if he really is as good as the early hype, he will sync with our backline which is already of high quality and help rack up the clean sheets.

antk

I have not seen any Arsenal game this pre-season or on the week-end, but I've watched a lot of Marseille last year and this seems a bit overblown for now. Him being a starter in the WC this november is highly unlikely if there aren't major injuries leading to it. If anything, he'll be happy to be in the squad at all.

Not the kind of guy that should be affected by the hype though, considering his OM stint.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He needs a better partner than Gabriel really. Maybe if Arsenal sort out the RB position, White can slot in next to Saliba instead of playing out of position.

Saliba has been almost flawless this season though.

Idxomer

Weird that Arsenal kept loaning him without ever renewing his contract.

Could see City going for him next season with one year left on his contract.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal

Dont City go for everyone though?

You United fans are obsessed with City. You all tihnk they are singing Saka and Martinelli and now Saliba.

Don't you have any ambitions to top them or have you surrendered?

Varun1

You United fans are obsessed with City. You all tihnk they are singing Saka and Martinelli and now Saliba.

Chip on your shoulder mate?

It was only an assumption that a much bigger team would try to buy one of Arsenal's best players.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Chip on your shoulder mate?

It was only an assumption that a much bigger team would try to buy one of Arsenal's best players.
We are likely to be the team who finishes closest to City this year. If we sell them our best players, then the premier league becomes the Bundesliga.

Anyways, City can ask and bid but we will likely say no, and quote them really high fees using Grealish as a relative reference.

Oh so you want Saka, well you spent 100m on 25 year old Grealish. We will therefore require 200m for 21 year old Saka. Oh you think thats unreasonable, well heres a bin, get in it

redNATION

We are likely to be the team who finishes closest to City this year. If we sell them our best players, then the premier league becomes the Bundesliga.

Anyways, City can ask and bid but we will likely say no, and quote them really high fees using Grealish as a relative reference.

Oh so you want Saka, well you spent 100m on 25 year old Grealish. We will therefore require 200m for 21 year old Saka. Oh you think thats unreasonable, well heres a bin, get in it
It’s only been a few games, and haven’t challenged in nearly 2 decades but suddenly going to finish second…

CM10

Saka and Saliba will both have a year left on their contract in the summer. If they sign new deals neither of them will leave but until those details are sorted it's inevitable those players will be linked with other clubs.

Also it's far from a given you'll be City's closest challengers.

cyberman

Literally just bought Sancho, Martinez and Antony for their positions. I don’t think not signing players we have no interest in proves we are content to stay below City for feck sake

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I for one would love to have one Arsenal thread not hijacked by wums and crystal ball nonsense.

Get back on topic or get out of the thread.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Wow a few games at the top and you've suddenly found your voice.

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I for one would love to have one Arsenal thread not hijacked by wums and crystal ball nonsense.

Get back on topic or get out of the thread.
:lol:

I for one have enjoyed this introduction to City's next big signing. Keep it up!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We went the season unbeaten in 2004. Its 2022.

Arithmetic
That "invincible" ( lost in 3 cups) season was 2003-04.
We're currently in 2022-23.
That's 19seasons.
I don't think someone roughly equating that up as 2 decades is exactly a mathematical failing.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Saka and Saliba will both have a year left on their contract in the summer. If they sign new deals neither of them will leave but until those details are sorted it's inevitable those players will be linked with other clubs.

Also it's far from a given you'll be City's closest challengers.
Exactly. Getting them 2 signed up is the biggest priority for Edu for the rest of the season, until they do there's always the worry, there's no point trying to suggest otherwise.

As for Saliba, I know Arsenal fans get slated for overhyping and overrating (and quite rightly looking at some posts even in the last day or so), but this guy to me seems the real deal. He's 21 and I'm struggling to find a weakness in his game now. I honestly think he will go on to be 1 of top 3 defenders in the world, of we keep a hold of him the next 4 or 5 years we'll do well.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Haven't watched too many Arsenal games this season, but when I have he has looked like a veteran. Assured, calm, and has a physical presence to him that exudes confidence at the moment. It will be interesting to see how he and their team reacts when (or if) they go through a period of worse results.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He's doing very well, Arsenal play with such a high line as well and he's up for every battle. Very composed player, he does seem like a younger Varane. Thank feck they didn't sign Martinez to play next to him.

Last edited:

Chief123

He’s got all the attributes to be top class. Nothing stopping him from being one of the best in the world if he continues to develop. He’s got everything you need. Long time to go but certainly got off to a good start.

The worry for Arsenal would be how do they navigate this fixture congested season without needing to make too many changes to the team. One or two injuries to key players can really derail them. I’d say Jesus and Saliba are their two most important players right now.

Irrational.

This is the most baffling thing. Yet Arse fans on here are convinced they always had faith in him. :lol:

The fact is that they just got lucky after their summer transfer acquisitions failed, otherwise he’d still be at Marseille this season.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
This is the most baffling thing. Yet Arse fans on here are convinced they always had faith in him. :lol:

The fact is that they just got lucky after their summer transfer acquisitions failed, otherwise he’d still be at Marseille this season.
I think he didn't want to play for them at some points - isn't he friends with Guendouzi? You'd imagine with the better mood around Arsenal and him probably growing up a bit that they can get him to sign an extension at some point, but if not it will be yet another example of Arteta falling out with the top quality players in his sides.