William Saliba

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Very impressive performance last night, and I'm looking forward to seeing his progression this season. Of course, early days still, but basis his performances for Marseille, and if he keeps this up, it looks like he could be the real deal.

Ben White's always had positional issues and is generally inconsistent, so I'd say our first choice backline now would be Tomiyasu, Saliba, Gabriel, Zinchenko. Sure beats having the combined genius of Luiz, Mustafi and Sokratis.

Castia

Always been a strange one with Saliba. You’ve been crying out for a decent CB and everybody seemed to know how talented he was yet Arsenal kept loaning him out.

Looks to be a good player though I agree.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Gary Neville has just compared him to Rio Ferdinand.

He is going to start every game. He is a find that's for sure. I always found it frustrating we spent 28m on him and loaned him out for two seasons. It seemed a poor allocation of resources given two years ago we had so much work to do. But its looking like the monetary and time in investment is going to pay off.

He will be Frances first choice centre half at the World Cup.

BlackShark_80

He is going to start every game. He is a find that's for sure. I always found it frustrating we spent 28m on him and loaned him out for two seasons. It seemed a poor allocation of resources given two years ago we had so much work to do. But its looking like the monetary and time in investment is going to pay off.

That still remains to be seen. He will compete against Fofana, Kounde, Varane, Konate, and Upamecano.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He was excellent last night. Although it has been an odd signing considering the loans, it could turn out to be a bargain if he keeps up that form.

Hope he doesn’t though (sorry)!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That still remains to be seen. He will compete against Fofana, Kounde, Varane, Konate, and Upamecano.
Fofana isn't in the picture at the moment, he hasn't even been selected once. And Saliba isn't guaranteed to even be in the squad. In theory Koundé, Varane, Hernandez and Upamecano should be part of it and the last places will be a competition between Kimpembe, Konaté and Saliba. That's assuming that Deschamps chooses to play with a back 3.

Otherwise Saliba was excellent last season and is likely to fulfill his potential.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
He's going to be a very good player. My main concern just now is tying him down to a longer contract as soon as possible.

He has everything you want in a modern centre back, and stylistically you can see why he's compared to Rio. Tall, athletic, elegant, composed, good on the ball, great on 1vs1's. He's still needs to work on things like positioning and on his aerial duals, but at 21 he's only going to improve.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Looks good. Crazy Arsenal were even close to basically letting him go without actually getting a proper chance in the team

JPRouve

Scout
Looks good. Crazy Arsenal were even close to basically letting him go without actually getting a proper chance in the team
To be fair both Saliba and Guendouzi benefitted from being loaned to Marseille. Which is kind of strange because it's a high pressure environment, with their arrogance they both thrived in it and had the support of Sampaoli. There is a chance that in a different environment things turn totally differently.

Skills

Snitch
To be fair both Saliba and Guendouzi benefitted from being loaned to Marseille. Which is kind of strange because it's a high pressure environment, with their arrogance they both thrived in it and had the support of Sampaoli. There is a chance that in a different environment things turn totally differently.
Plus is it really a surprise that young players improve when they get real compeititive minutes under their belt, rather than learning off the bench?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s not like he played poorly at his return to St Etienne or the loan to Nice — the talent was always there, Arsenal nearly fumbled it by making him go on loan again. You’re right though, it worked out in the end for the reasons you state, it was just a bit messy on Arsenal’s side.

avgp_1

He looks a player. Will be highly sought after by the big boys in the coming years. Can't see him sticking around at Arsenal if he continues to put in performances like that.

JPRouve

Scout
It’s not like he played poorly at his return to St Etienne or the loan to Nice — the talent was always there, Arsenal nearly fumbled it by making him go on loan again. You’re right though, it worked out in the end for the reasons you state, it was just a bit messy on Arsenal’s side.
He reached a totally different level and wasn't particularly good with Sainté or Nice.

Bwuk

Palace probably should have scored yesterday. They had the momentum for a lot of the game, I’m not buying Arsenals defence at all.

Tierney > Zinchenko

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
He looks a player. Will be highly sought after by the big boys in the coming years. Can't see him sticking around at Arsenal if he continues to put in performances like that.
If he continues to put in performances like that. Then it helps Arsenal again become one of the big boys.

Plus. He would be be quoted at an extreme price if he continues to put in performances like that.

avgp_1

If he continues to put in performances like that. Then it helps Arsenal again become one of the big boys.

Plus. He would be be quoted at an extreme price if he continues to put in performances like that.
Nope, Arsenal will always be a stepping stone for good players. No top player will stick around by the time you become all of that

Good for you if you can get some good money off of him though

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
So Arsenal spent so much money on Ben White last season only to realise a guy they loaned out is better? :lol:
Think you need more that 2 centre backs in this day and age, so even if Saliba was first choice last season we'd have needed to sign 1 anyway.

He'll probably sign another at some point to replace Holding as well.

Skills

Snitch

He's already 3 years into a 5 year deal. You can imagine clubs will be in his agents ear, making sure he doesn't renew until at least next summer

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
He's already 3 years into a 5 year deal. You can imagine clubs will be in his agents ear, making sure he doesn't renew until at least next summer
It seems like he MIGHT have already re-signed. Lots of pictures of his agent at Colney a few weeks ago. But the club are being sheapish with his shirt number (only just released sales for it a few weeks after the rest of the team), because I think they want him to be number 2 when Bellerin goes. Could both be announced together.

Calidad

Supports
Hibernian
So he’s being compared to Ferdinand on the basis of one game against Crystal Palace?

I’m not going to pretend I’ve seen a single minute of him, but Neville probably hadn’t either prior to yesterday’s game.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Wasn't he in some weird video where players were masturbating in the changing room?

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Looking forward to seeing how he develops - doesn't appear to have any weaknesses. Tall, quick, composed, good defensive instincts and technically proficient on the ball.

TheReligion

Abusive
Looked good last night but let’s see him against some top players/forwards before getting too carried away.

SoCross

Always been a strange one with Saliba. You’ve been crying out for a decent CB and everybody seemed to know how talented he was yet Arsenal kept loaning him out.

Looks to be a good player though I agree.
There was this exact discussion last season too. Bizarre how he was loaned out without given a chance as he came in highly rated. Seems to have improved too and looks like he’d cement his place now but the PL can be a difficult place for a young CB. Let’s see how he’s progressed in December.

Irrational.

Looks to have great potential. He was just thrown to the side by Arse and it seems like they’ve just stumbled upon him and hit the jackpot after failing with their CB targets. Otherwise they wouldn’t have been interested in Martinez, and would’ve sent him back on loan/ sold him to Marseille if they had succeeded.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think you need more that 2 centre backs in this day and age, so even if Saliba was first choice last season we'd have needed to sign 1 anyway.

He'll probably sign another at some point to replace Holding as well.
I don't think he is staying at Arsenal. He started couple of nations league matches and would be one of starting options at WC too. If that's the case, he will have plenty of options next summer.

Red00012

I’ve a Arsenal mate who was more excited about this guy than any of the signings you have made

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
There was this exact discussion last season too. Bizarre how he was loaned out without given a chance as he came in highly rated. Seems to have improved too and looks like he’d cement his place now but the PL can be a difficult place for a young CB. Let’s see how he’s progressed in December.
Does the 2nd point not help explain the 1st?

I don't think he is staying at Arsenal. He started couple of nations league matches and would be one of starting options at WC too. If that's the case, he will have plenty of options next summer.
We defo need to get him signed to a new deal. Let's see if we manage to do that.

Bojan Djordjic

Looked good last night but let’s see him against some top players/forwards before getting too carried away.
Kept Messi, Neymar and Co to one non-penalty goal last season so he can handle himself agains top players. He's definitely the real deal. He's been playing first team football in a tough league since he was 17 and has been picking up plaudits since then. Suspect personal issues with Arteta is the only reason he's not a big name in the Premiership already.

Golden Nugget

Arsenal have done well here and I wish we’d do the same with our talented youngsters. Obviously it’s hard to find a club that is willing to continually play the youngsters that they know will be gone in a season or 2 and don’t really benefit from their development - but when it works out it’s great.

The Premier League is unforgiving and especially with 1) the big clubs 2) defenders. I don’t know how Salina did in Marseille - but there’s likely to be mistakes made that would have led to goals - a single mistake in the Premier League would have been blown out of proportion - which will effect his confidence and the manager playing him.

The likes of Sancho and Bellingham wouldn’t have developed the speed they have if they were in the Premier League.

TheReligion

Abusive
Kept Messi, Neymar and Co to one non-penalty goal last season so he can handle himself agains top players. He's definitely the real deal. He's been playing first team football in a tough league since he was 17 and has been picking up plaudits since then. Suspect personal issues with Arteta is the only reason he's not a big name in the Premiership already.
Should we declare him the best CB in the world already then?

mu4c_20le

I remember arguing with an arsenal fan who insisted White was better