Willian | Arsenal player

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
"along with loyalty payments and other bonuses" :lol:

Since when are loyalty payments and bonuses taken into account when talking about a player's weekly wage?

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Much better.

Pepe is so shit Arsenal are apparently running an internal investigation into his signing.
What rubbish. Pepe has got 18 goals+assists in a stop start season playing under three managers. Fully expect him to double that number next year when he gets used to the league.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
From your own link
There is said to be no sense of regret at signing the 25-year-old but many people within the game were surprised at the size of the fee Arsenal paid to Lille

The depth of that commitment has led to a review of the scouting reports and negotiating process which led to such a big deal being sanctioned.
Bit of a leap to read that and say there's an internal investigation because he's so shit

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout

Since when are loyalty payments and bonuses taken into account when talking about a player's weekly wage?
When you want to make the signing sound outlandish and ridiculous.

I'd have liked Willian at United a few years ago, but having been saddled with plenty of the 'wrong' kind of player on big wages who we've struggled to shift I would have been opposed to us being in for him this summer. However the jury's out on how this'll go for Arsenal and for me it certainly isn't time to start laughing and inflating his wages to score cheap points.

Irrational.

He has the best agent in world football.

Firstly managed to get him smuggled out of Heathrow and into a car to join Chelsea when the deal with Spurs was all but done, and now getting him this amazing contract! :lol:

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This transfer shows how much Arsenal DoF is completely clueless and with no plan whatsoever.

Oldyella

I don't understand why Arsenal keep signing attackers. It's also particularly weird to sign their rivals want-away players like David Luiz and Willian. Imagine us signing Lovren and Shaqiri and the fans be fine with it.:houllier:
Sign the worlds best defender? We should be so lucky.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
What rubbish. Pepe has got 18 goals+assists in a stop start season playing under three managers. Fully expect him to double that number next year when he gets used to the league.
Based on what exactly?
Bizarre to state that when there is no plausible evidence to suggest it.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Terrible transfer for Arsenal, on so many levels.
Not really. We have with Saka, Nelson and Martinelli three very young wingers/ offensive options.
Pepe just had his first PL season and did it okay so far.

We lacked creating chances last season. Willian had created the 6th most chances in the league last season and with Auba as a striker, it could be a good combo.

His wage is completely fine. We freed up a lot of wage in the last seasons and have a very young squad. So some offensive PL experience is quite important for us. But still we need another central offensive midfielder for next season.

Reactions: 12OunceEpilogue

TheReligion

Abusive
With Auba, Ozil and now Willian all getting on and earning mega money Arsenal will have to be careful I feel.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
With Auba, Ozil and now Willian all getting on and earning mega money Arsenal will have to be careful I feel.
On the contrary, Arsenal are in an excellent shape in terms of wages going forward. Ozil will be off the wage bill next summer, Willian is getting somewhere in the 120K per week range, and Auba is rumored to be seeking around 250k. We're not exactly breaking the bank here.

Off the wage bill next summer if not beforehand are Ozil (350k), Sokratis (90k), Mustafi (90k) and Luiz (120k) if we don't resign him again. Auba and Lacazette, who may leave this summer anyway, will be the only players making over 150k (unless a new signing like Partey gets that much).

Wenger made some absolutely disastrous contract decisions in his last couple years - Ozil at 350K, Mkhi at 180K, Xhaka (100K), Kolasinac (100K), and Mustafi (90K) all making far more than their contributions merited. We are finally digging out from that hole.

iHicksy

I have to say, as much as I wanted him to leave, it will feel utterly bizarre to watch him line up against Chelsea.
May I ask why it was you wanted him gone? I was always under the impression that he was one of you best performers, if not the most consistent. Were they other issues at play?

el3mel

Good signing for Arsenal imo.

Pretty weird though how the way to go for any Chelsea player after leaving is to simply go to their city rivals. :lol:

Last edited:

iKnowNothing

He's a good signing for Arsenal. They need someone to come in and be a reliable workhorse for the next year or so, while Pepe (or other youngsters) mature into their role. He might be their main starter in his first season and slowly fade into a rotation role towards the end of 2nd or 3rd season.

100% valid, and it’s a legacy of when transfer fees far outstripped wages, and so remains the barometer of how you compare transfers, and it is still valid when comparing to the past - but clearly needs to be taken Will a great deal of salt, as the total cost of a deal needs to be appraised.

However, the reality of that is that clubs do not release details of wages, bonuses, agent fees for individual players - so it’s just a guesstimate.

Luke1995

Do Chelsea fans feel betrayed by him joining their biggest rival ?

SwedishFish

It's an alright deal in the short term, it does improve the squad for the next year, but it's not nearly enough. For the long term it's straight up just a very bad deal.

He will sit on that contract until he's 35... There are a lot of better options out there and I think it says more about Arsenal's desperation to get back into European contention next season than anything.

Overall their signings over the last year have been mindboggling. Going for players straight out of the bargain bin with high flop potential.

I don't think Chelsea will cry too much, especially if they pull of Havertz.

Renegade

Wasn’t Sánchez’ whole package always used?

Ferrers

Supports
Chelsea
not at all I’m happy we can continue to sing the song about how much he hates Tottenham. I’m sure it will sound better when both sets of fans sing it ;)

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
May I ask why it was you wanted him gone? I was always under the impression that he was one of you best performers, if not the most consistent. Were they other issues at play?
He's inconsistent. He's only been one of our best performers in short, brief spurts and they were usually few and far betwern. Most of the time he's a frustrating player with awful decision making who is capable of the occasional flash of brilliance. He's been useful for us at times, but I've been advocating for his sale since about 2015.

TheReligion

Abusive
On the contrary, Arsenal are in an excellent shape in terms of wages going forward. Ozil will be off the wage bill next summer, Willian is getting somewhere in the 120K per week range, and Auba is rumored to be seeking around 250k. We're not exactly breaking the bank here.

Off the wage bill next summer if not beforehand are Ozil (350k), Sokratis (90k), Mustafi (90k) and Luiz (120k) if we don't resign him again. Auba and Lacazette, who may leave this summer anyway, will be the only players making over 150k (unless a new signing like Partey gets that much).

Wenger made some absolutely disastrous contract decisions in his last couple years - Ozil at 350K, Mkhi at 180K, Xhaka (100K), Kolasinac (100K), and Mustafi (90K) all making far more than their contributions merited. We are finally digging out from that hole.
There's absolutely no way Willian is taking less money than he was on at Chelsea as a free agent.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
This guy is definitely going to be on my fantasy team from the get goooo. Him and Auba will link up well. He’ll also surely be a starter in the PL and hence very reliable in fantasy. Price hasn’t been too steep either.
He gets many points from pens I believe. Will Auba give up pen duties? I doubt it.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Not really. There is a light year worth of difference between a Hazard moving to Arsenal or Spurs as compared to Willian. I felt even more betrayed by Lampard playing like 5 games for City.
Willian has his uses on a very good day. He makes a major upgrade over someone like Saka for next season but in the long run I don't think he does much for Arsenal.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Seems Arsenal get a Chelsea player every few years in recent times. Obviously Cech and Luiz have been mentioned, but I remember them loaning Benayoun from Chelsea, too.

Luke1995

They're not our biggest rival by any stretch of the imagination.

Feel the same as when Cech or Luiz went there. Enjoy your retirement, you you are happy, healthy and shit on the pitch!
Sure. Well, Cech wasn't really past his prime when he moved. Courtois was just better.

Luke1995

Not really. There is a light year worth of difference between a Hazard moving to Arsenal or Spurs as compared to Willian. I felt even more betrayed by Lampard playing like 5 games for City.
Willian has his uses on a very good day. He makes a major upgrade over someone like Saka for next season but in the long run I don't think he does much for Arsenal.
Well, at least next season he'll probably give them a good return. I wonder how Chelsea will replace him