Willian | Arsenal player

Pagh Wraith

Arsenal's transfer strategy is weird. They're also interested in Partey who'd be another player in the wrong age bracket on a big (and long) contract.

Mount's Goatieson

Supports
Chelsea
Well, at least next season he'll probably give them a good return. I wonder how Chelsea will replace him
Already replaced him with Ziyech with 19yr old CHO as his backup. We might look to get another natural winger though(Benrahma links) but that will possibly be a target for next summer esp if we get Havertz. It might also depend on CHO stepping up or not.

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
He gets many points from pens I believe. Will Auba give up pen duties? I doubt it.
Did he actually take pens at Chelsea? I genuinely don’t know the exact stats but regardless of taking pens or not, I think he’ll definitely be arsenals top 3 players when it comes to goal involvements and I always consider a clubs best 3 players in this department when making my fantasy team.

Last season I only trusted Auba from arsenal but Willian will be essential specially at his price.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
What I'm finding most bewildering is this narrative he was one of our star players for years. Robbie from AFTV even called him a mainstay in our side during his time :houllier: (he was last season in fairness).

It's literally flown completely under the radar that both Sarri and Conte had Willian as a squad player and selected Pedro instead.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Did he actually take pens at Chelsea? I genuinely don’t know the exact stats but regardless of taking pens or not, I think he’ll definitely be arsenals top 3 players when it comes to goal involvements and I always consider a clubs best 3 players in this department when making my fantasy team.

Last season I only trusted Auba from arsenal but Willian will be essential specially at his price.
He took 4 this past season.

Hazard took them prior to that (Willian took the odd one or two, if Hazard was not playing).

red4ever 79

Typical Arsenal signing

What position dont we need a player in > Check
What age of a player dont we want to develop >check
How much $$ should we spunk on someone past their best >check

Red Company

Supports
The Peaky Blinders
He took 4 this past season.

Hazard took them prior to that (Willian took the odd one or two, if Hazard was not playing).
Did he miss any of the 4?

If not I’d imagine he’d also take a handful at Arsenal whenever the opportunity arises I.e Auba not playing etc

nyanza

Arsenal's transfer strategy is weird. They're also interested in Partey who'd be another player in the wrong age bracket on a big (and long) contract.
Agree with your general point but Partey just turned 27, come on. :lol: He's younger than Pogba.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Arsenal fans are beginning to get frustrated by the exact same things we used to frustrated by with Willian.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Can't stop laughing when I see Arteta played him up front, I honestly thought it was a joke when I was told.

If he was looking to get a false 9 of us Pedro was a better bet.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Arsenal fans are beginning to get frustrated by the exact same things we used to frustrated by with Willian.

What was that? I dont really know what was frustrating about him because I didnt watch him through Chelsea eyes.

Patchbeard

He just doesn't do very much for an attacking player does he? Scores the occasional brilliant free-kick but rarely does enough from open play to warrant a starting place in a top 6 team.

He just doesn't do very much for an attacking player does he? Scores the occasional brilliant free-kick but rarely does enough from open play to warrant a starting place in a top 6 team.
without looking at the figures, he’s always struck me as someone whose output is pretty poor. Defensive winger?

Grande

It says very little about what they are frustrated by. What were you guys frustrated by?He always seemed to me a good allrounder with good skills and work ethics but some doubtful decisions, but then my focus was more on our own players.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
What was that? I dont really know what was frustrating about him because I didnt watch him through Chelsea eyes.
It says very little about what they are frustrated by. What were you guys frustrated by?He always seemed to me a good allrounder with good skills and work ethics but some doubtful decisions, but then my focus was more on our own players.
His output is awful for someone who has been a starting player for a top 6 club for nearly a decade. He is a flatters to deceive kind of player - has very good technique, looks great on the ball but his decision making is awful and he doesn't impact games anywhere near as much you'd want. Those fans are frustrated by his general lack of influence, lack of presence, he doesn't really do much except transition the ball well with his running/dribbling and reasonable work ethics off the ball. Sometimes he'll pop up with a beautiful goal/assist or two and get people hyped but they are always few and far between.

Without going into too much detail, that's the general gist.

Pep's Suit

Though he'd be a bench player but instead he starts every game for some reason.

Grande

His output is awful for someone who has been a starting player for a top 6 club for nearly a decade. He is a flatters to deceive kind of player - has very good technique, looks great on the ball but his decision making is awful and he doesn't impact games anywhere near as much you'd want. Those fans are frustrated by his general lack of influence, lack of presence, he doesn't really do much except transition the ball well with his running/dribbling and reasonable work ethics off the ball. Sometimes he'll pop up with a beautiful goal/assist or two and get people hyped but they are always few and far between.

Without going into too much detail, that's the general gist.
Thanks, that also explains how I’ve been deceived :)

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The pitchforks are out with Arsenal fans. The more tempered fans about the signing are starting to or have lost hope for him. Lampard really wanted to keep him. Thank goodness Maria or the board didn't give in and sign him for three years. He was a cornerstone of the team for a good amount of time, but he will never be the Willian of just a few years ago again.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Perisic, Lukaku, Willian

Vs

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood

What a problem we have.

Sigma

The pitchforks are out with Arsenal fans. The more tempered fans about the signing are starting to or have lost hope for him. Lampard really wanted to keep him. Thank goodness Maria or the board didn't give in and sign him for three years. He was a cornerstone of the team for a good amount of time, but he will never be the Willian of just a few years ago again.
I'd still give him more time given how the whole arsenal attacking system looks bad (even Aubameyang).

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Perisic, Lukaku, Willian

Vs

Rashford, Martial, Greenwood

What a problem we have.
Imagine the despair if United had let a genuine gem like Greenwood either slip away or stagnate because you signed Willian? Doing nothing is always preferable than doing the wrong thing.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I'd still give him more time given how the whole arsenal attacking system looks bad (even Aubameyang).
is it the system or the fact these players no longer have new contracts to play for?

el3mel

He has been really terrible for what I have seen from them so far. Totally pointless on the pitch and does nothing.

Chelsea pulled the trigger at the right moment. They took his best years from him and got rid of his washed up version.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Even in those years 2 succesive manager's favoured Pedro (rightly in my opinion).

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Even in those years 2 succesive manager's favoured Pedro (rightly in my opinion).
I don't think any one favoured Pedro over Willian. Willian played almost all matches in pl under all managers managed Chelsea during his time.

Cloud7

Genuinely cannot believe that there were United fans upset that we didn’t try to get him from Chelsea.

In an alternate universe right now, Martial and Greenwood could have been sold, and we would have had William trying to feed Lukaku.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think any one favoured Pedro over Willian. Willian played almost all matches in pl under all managers managed Chelsea during his time.
He came off the bench a lot yes, but both Conte preferred Pedro as a starter (especially in the title season after the 343 switch) as did Sarri (although Willian got a fair number of starts that year due to the false 9 being used).

I can't be bothered to go through every lineup (but if you look at them yourself in those season's you will find Pedro playing ahead of Willian a lot especially in big games) but for my main case in point, Pedro was selected to start the FA Cup final in 2017 and the Europa in Baku in 2019 ahead of Willian. Those are the two finals of the Conte/Sarri era where it was a straight fight between the two for one place to start (the 2018 FA Cup final neither started and in the 2019 League cup final we went false 9 so both did) and Pedro won the place on both occasions.

Robbie Boy

Can't believe anyone who's watched him over the years thought this would be a good deal for Arsenal.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Conte and Sarri absolutely favoured Pedro.
Willian started more games in league in every season except 2016-17. Not sure if Pedro was injured but at least looking from outside, it looked as if Willian always played under every coach.

Pep's Suit

And they have to pay him big money for another 32 months. Terrible deal.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He is doing his best work right now. Draining Arsenal's budget every week for three more years!

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Willian started more games in league in every season except 2016-17. Not sure if Pedro was injured but at least looking from outside, it looked as if Willian always played under every coach.
Pedro had a dodgy Achilles during Sarri's season that had to be managed. Tellingly, though, as @Dancfc points out Sarri clearly picked Pedro for cup final matches over Willian.

Willian also completely fell out with Conte over playing time; it's why he went so far as to cover him up with emojis in his post after the FA Cup win. Another reason why it didn't make sense for Arsenal as he has previous for throwing his toys out of the pram when put on the bench.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
It is. He got a big signing bonus(free contract) with it he's close to 200k a week

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Sacked loads of staff and then turn around to pay him those types of wages.

That’s not great.