Willian | Arsenal player

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Willian started more games in league in every season except 2016-17. Not sure if Pedro was injured but at least looking from outside, it looked as if Willian always played under every coach.
In the Sarri season Pedro had injury problems, that combined with Morata's form led to us using false 9 which led to Willian getting a fair number of starts.

Whenever it was a straight fight to start RW between the two Pedro usually got the nod, also at the start of the season Hazard was on the bench a few times as he was being nursed back from an injury, when it was time to bring Eden on in those games it was always Willian not Pedro who was subbed off.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Willian had a couple of good seasons but even when he was ‘on form’ his delivery was woeful and his finishing wasn’t consistent. His corners usually hit the first man and he tends to run forward and then pass backwards or sideways far too much to be ever called ‘creative’.

Don’t get me wrong, he has his strengths but in a season of over 45+ games I can count on 1 or 2 fingers how many times he won a match for us. I don’t think we ever set out to all be about hazard but it happened for a reason.. the right side of our attack was not productive enough.

GlasgowCeltic

He seems one of the players that most separates fans from pundits. Praise for him from pundits seems almost unanimous going back since Mourinhos last year

Footy van de Geek

Chelsea fans give him a lot of unnecessary stick, in my opinion.

He was a better player for Chelsea than Antonio Valencia was for us, and we don’t give him half as much abuse.

I don’t think Arteta should have signed him at this stage of his career. But he was a very, very good player in his prime. Direct, quick, could get up and down the pitch, good set-pieces and a decent goalscorer from wide.

I always respected that he was one of the few Chelsea players not to down tools during 2015/2016.

RooneyLegend

One of those players who simply isn't able to use his talent to influence games consistently.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans give him a lot of unnecessary stick, in my opinion.

He was a better player for Chelsea than Antonio Valencia was for us, and we don’t give him half as much abuse.

I don’t think Arteta should have signed him at this stage of his career. But he was a very, very good player in his prime. Direct, quick, could get up and down the pitch, good set-pieces and a decent goalscorer from wide.

I always respected that he was one of the few Chelsea players not to down tools during 2015/2016.
Goals (& assists) by season for Chelsea:
13/14: 4 (2)
14/15: 2 (3)
15/16: 5 (6)
16/17: 8 (2)
17/18: 6 (7)
18/19: 3 (6)
19/20: 9 (7)

Apart from last season, "very very good" is overstating it. Willian will go down as someone who wasted his talents - he had genuinely world class ability and all the physical attributes, but his decision-making and positional nous are both staggeringly appalling and have held him back from reaching the top level he could have. That's what makes him so frustrating to Chelsea fans - the deficiencies in his game should have been correctable yet it simply didn't happen.

Also, Willian was nowhere near as good for us as Valencia was for you.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, he had a lot of good traits, but he just never had it. Could never put up G/A’s in a season that the very best wingers do.

Footy van de Geek

Goals (& assists) by season for Chelsea:
13/14: 4 (2)
14/15: 2 (3)
15/16: 5 (6)
16/17: 8 (2)
17/18: 6 (7)
18/19: 3 (6)
19/20: 9 (7)

Apart from last season, "very very good" is overstating it. Willian will go down as someone who wasted his talents - he had genuinely world class ability and all the physical attributes, but his decision-making and positional nous are both staggeringly appalling and have held him back from reaching the top level he could have. That's what makes him so frustrating to Chelsea fans - the deficiencies in his game should have been correctable yet it simply didn't happen.

Also, Willian was nowhere near as good for us as Valencia was for you.
Willian has been credited with 63 goals and 64 assists for Chelsea. All competitions. He is a much better player than Valencia. You treat your own players like shit, obviously. Weird.

Bwuk

Willian has been credited with 63 goals and 64 assists for Chelsea. All competitions. He is a much better player than Valencia. You treat your own players like shit, obviously. Weird.
Nowhere near Valencia. Mental opinion.

Footy van de Geek

Nowhere near Valencia. Mental opinion.
Valencia was largely average bar his debut season. He even had to give up the #7, and finish his United career as a RB to save it. He spent more time smashing the ball at defenders' shins than finding a teammate. He had a good connection with Rooney in his early days. It disappeared after 11/12.

Willian has scored 63 goals for Chelsea compared to Valencia's 25 goals for United.

An identical amount of appearances at both clubs for the each of them; 339.

Antonio Valencia is the epitomy of a player having a top flight career based on sheer physicality alone. Kyle Walker is the same.

Willian has some technical ability about him. He can take a good free kick, for starters. Not the perfect player by any means, but not the donkey that Chelsea fan thinks he is. And better than Antonio feckin' Valencia!

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Valencia was largely average bar his debut season. He even had to give up the #7, and finish his United career as a RB to save it. He spent more time smashing the ball at defenders' shins than finding a teammate. He had a good connection with Rooney in his early days. It disappeared after 11/12.

Willian has scored 63 goals for Chelsea compared to Valencia's 25 goals for United.

Antonio Valencia is the epitomy of a player having a top flight career based on sheer physicality alone. Kyle Walker is the same.

Willian has some technical ability about him. He can take a good free kick, for starters. Not the perfect player by any means, but not the donkey that Chelsea fan thinks he is. And better than Antonio feckin' Valencia!
No one said he was a donkey, but we've had to listen to pundits and opposition fans (ala the "better than Ziyech" video that's gone viral) talk about him like he was world class for years so ofcourse we (fans who watched him every week) will counter that, just like Arsenal fans are now doing and just like what you'd have done had you got him when Mou wanted to bring him your way.

Infact you've just given a prime example to what i mean by calling him a good free kick taker, he had that insane purple patch in 2015 when he scored 6 in almost succesive matches but either side of that he scored 6 in 7 years despite having dibs on free kicks most of that time, the vast majority of his free kicks hit the wall or went far wide/over and don't get me started on the one's outwide that needed crossing in (he hit a one man wall vs City a few years back). We all near enough universally agreed on preffering (depending on era) Cesc, Alonso or Mount stepping up instead.

He's very valuable in certain aspects of the game, transiting possession in the middle 3rd especially he was world class at which was very valuable when the team as a whole weren't clicking, but for his natural talent he has underachieved, he should have been (given his talent) our deputy chief match winner (after Hazard) but instead he was rotated with and sometimes outrightly behind a past his prime Pedro and it was for a reason.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
I can't believe there's a Utd fan arguing that Willian was better than Valencia, the disrespect.
Wasn't he? Valencia was decent/good at first but then became worse and worse. Both him and Young should have been sold at the end of 2014-15 season but nope. We gave them a new contract and a new position so they could stay in the 1st team. Such charitable club this Manchester :houllier:

Judas

Open to offers
Valencia overstayed his welcome and its meant so many fans have so little respect for his time here, it's a shame. He was arguably the best RB in the league for awhile, was Willian ever the best anything in his time in England?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

You post that about your own player, at United for 10 whole years, former captain immediately following this post.

You treat your own players like shit, obviously. Weird.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
From 339 games. And those numbers are inflated by penalties and his (god-awful) set pieces.

Willian might have edged out Valencia as a winger but as a player overall Valencia was comfortably better.

The bolded tells me you haven't actually watched Willian play consistently.

Cloud7

The only people I've ever seen argue in favor of Willian being any sort of special player are United fans that were part of the cult of Mourinho. Chelsea fans don't do it, Arsenal fans don't do it, but goddammit to those United fans Willian was one of the best in the world that would have made a real difference here because Mourinho wanted him.

Footy van de Geek

No one said he was a donkey, but we've had to listen to pundits and opposition fans (ala the "better than Ziyech" video that's gone viral) talk about him like he was world class for years so ofcourse we (fans who watched him every week) will counter that, just like Arsenal fans are now doing and just like what you'd have done had you got him when Mou wanted to bring him your way.

Infact you've just given a prime example to what i mean by calling him a good free kick taker, he had that insane purple patch in 2015 when he scored 6 in almost succesive matches but either side of that he scored 6 in 7 years despite having dibs on free kicks most of that time, the vast majority of his free kicks hit the wall or went far wide/over and don't get me started on the one's outwide that needed crossing in (he hit a one man wall vs City a few years back). We all near enough universally agreed on preffering (depending on era) Cesc, Alonso or Mount stepping up instead.

He's very valuable in certain aspects of the game, transiting possession in the middle 3rd especially he was world class at which was very valuable when the team as a whole weren't clicking, but for his natural talent he has underachieved, he should have been (given his talent) our deputy chief match winner (after Hazard) but instead he was rotated with and sometimes outrightly behind a past his prime Pedro and it was for a reason.
So you're basically butthurt that some random Gunnar fans trolled you about Ziyech? As for pundits, you should know by now that most British pundits are biased and ignorant. A foreign player is nothing until he comes in and proves it on their shores. Willian passed their litmus test. Ziyech is an outstanding footballer. But has a very different profile. I wouldn't compare the two anyway.

Good free kicks don't mean just the ones that go in the net directly. He has assisted goals from free kicks and corners, or Chelsea have scored from the 2nd ball. Rashford puts most of his into the stands. The one against Chelsea was a rarity. Most free kick attempts aren't converted. There aren't many brilliant direct free kick takers around. Messi is probably still the best right now.

I watch the vast majority of Chelsea games btw. My uncle is a Chelsea fan since the 70's. I watch a lot of Spurs too because my grandfather supports them since the late 50's. In fact, I spend most of my life watching leagues all across Europe.

I think you either didn't watch Valencia much, or only saw the good bits. I would take Willian over him every time.

You post that about your own player, at United for 10 whole years, former captain immediately following this post.
Gotta fight fire with fire. ;) Shows how highly I rated Willian. Didn't want him here in 2017 due to a lack of longevity. I'm always wary of players who have a lot of mileage on the tank. Willian does now at 32, having made 700 odd career appearances. Poor decision by Arteta.

Players like Valencia (questionable English after 10+ years in England) being captain should tell you part of the reason why Man Utd are in the shape that we are. We've had a lot of captains over the past few years. All a far cry from the days of Roy Keane.

Nickholas

Supports
Chelsea
He does have a good game, usually 1 in every 10..
This guy is definitely going to be on my fantasy team from the get goooo. Him and Auba will link up well. He’ll also surely be a starter in the PL and hence very reliable in fantasy. Price hasn’t been too steep either.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Wtf is going on ? Why is the united fan arguing willian is better and the chelsea fan arguing the opposite

SambaBoy

Valencia was a much better player than Willian. Pep and the likes called him the best winger in the world. It wasn't just one season either. Before his leg break against Rangers, he was quality and he came back and carried on his form before a very disappointing showing in the CL against Barcelona. I think he carried his form on for one more season, before then declining considerably and obviously ending up a RB.

For 3-4 years, he was definitely one of the best wingers in the PL.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I thought it was a good signing "if" he was used to rest Pepe. As it turns out, it's been the other way around. That makes Arsenal's front 3 a combined age of 92. Ouch...

Footy van de Geek

Valencia was a much better player than Willian. Pep and the likes called him the best winger in the world. It wasn't just one season either. Before his leg break against Rangers, he was quality and he came back and carried on his form before a very disappointing showing in the CL against Barcelona. I think he carried his form on for one more season, before then declining considerably and obviously ending up a RB.

For 3-4 years, he was definitely one of the best wingers in the PL.
He had two seasons of real quality. His main trick was to hang up crosses for Rooney who often made some of his floated crosses look better than they actually were by generating great power himself with his neck muscles. This understanding between the two ended after 2011/2012. Valencia must have assisted about 12 Rooney goals.

Valencia was such a simple but effective footballer. Get to the byline and either smash it across the box or hang one up. Kick & run even.

Willian was better for longer. More dynamic also. Simple as that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Good free kicks don't mean just the ones that go in the net directly. He has assisted goals from free kicks and corners, or Chelsea have scored from the 2nd ball. Rashford puts most of his into the stands. The one against Chelsea was a rarity. Most free kick attempts aren't converted. There aren't many brilliant direct free kick takers around. Messi is probably still the best right now.
Of course and I covered that basis when I said a lot of his free kicks hit the wall (including a one man wall against City) or go high or wide. His general set piece taking for us (especially on corners) was poor, it's no coincidence we've gone from the least productive side from attacking set pieces last season to the most productive side now he's not here taking most of them.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So you're basically butthurt that some random Gunnar fans trolled you about Ziyech? As for pundits, you should know by now that most British pundits are biased and ignorant. A foreign player is nothing until he comes in and proves it on their shores. Willian passed their litmus test. Ziyech is an outstanding footballer. But has a very different profile. I wouldn't compare the two anyway.

Good free kicks don't mean just the ones that go in the net directly. He has assisted goals from free kicks and corners, or Chelsea have scored from the 2nd ball. Rashford puts most of his into the stands. The one against Chelsea was a rarity. Most free kick attempts aren't converted
. There aren't many brilliant direct free kick takers around. Messi is probably still the best right now.
He was great at free kicks and assisted a lot yet Valencia who only hit people in the shins, played exactly as many matches for United as Willian for Chelsea and about half af them at right back managed only 1 assist less than Willian. Look at Valencia's assist numbers when he played as a winger. 31 assists in 4 seasons with SAF when United were still a good football team and one of those seasons he barely played because he fractured and dislocated his ankle. 8 less than Willian's career total for Chelsea purely as a winger who also took set pieces. Not like Valencia was a slouch playing for Wigan either. 6 months before Sir Alex bought him he turned down Real Madrid.

People's memory of Valencia is bizarre. Tainted by him having to move positions (something few footballers are even capable of) and him being Ronaldo's "replacement". There are two United players that have record more assists than Valencia in a single PL season. Beckham and Cantona, both by one. And get this, Valencia only played 27 games that season. An assist every 151 minute. Willian's best is every 235 minutes. Injury free season though, just played a lot off the bench. For reference De Bruyne registered an assist every 140 minutes last season in where he equalled Henry's assist record.

SambaBoy

He had two seasons of real quality. His main trick was to hang up crosses for Rooney who often made some of his floated crosses look better than they actually were by generating great power himself with his neck muscles. This understanding between the two ended after 2011/2012. Valencia must have assisted about 12 Rooney goals.

Valencia was such a simple but effective footballer. Get to the byline and either smash it across the box or hang one up. Kick & run even.

Willian was better for longer. More dynamic also. Simple as that.
Was very good at Wigan in the PL too, and was good for more than two seasons.

He was better than Willian. Simple as that.

el3mel

Valencia' peak is better than Willian's peak that's for sure.

Though William managed to stay being relevant in his position much longer while Valencia had to adjust and switch to being a fullback instead to survive 3 or 4 more years.

But on their prime I will take Valencia.

Footy van de Geek

He was great at free kicks and assisted a lot yet Valencia who only hit people in the shins, played exactly as many matches for United as Willian for Chelsea and about half af them at right back managed only 1 assist less than Willian. Look at Valencia's assist numbers when he played as a winger. 31 assists in 4 seasons with SAF when United were still a good football team and one of those seasons he barely played because he fractured and dislocated his ankle. 8 less than Willian's career total for Chelsea purely as a winger who also took set pieces. Not like Valencia was a slouch playing for Wigan either. 6 months before Sir Alex bought him he turned down Real Madrid.

People's memory of Valencia is bizarre. Tainted by him having to move positions (something few footballers are even capable of) and him being Ronaldo's "replacement". There are two United players that have record more assists than Valencia in a single PL season. Beckham and Cantona, both by one. And get this, Valencia only played 27 games that season. An assist every 151 minute. Willian's best is every 235 minutes. Injury free season though, just played a lot off the bench. For reference De Bruyne registered an assist every 140 minutes last season in where he equalled Henry's assist record.
Real Madrid once loaned in Julien Faubert. The Real scouts of that era were clearly on crack.

What is bizarre is you hyping that 11/12 season by bringing Cantona and Beckham into the conversation.

If you actually looked at who the goals & assists came against, it shows that he clearly stat padded.

Bottom half opposition:
  • 1 goal & 5 assists against Wolves (finished 20th)
  • 1 goal & 2 assists against Blackburn (finished 19th)
  • 1 goal & 1 assist against Wigan (finished 15th)
  • 1 assist vs QPR (finished 17th)
  • 1 assist vs Aston Villa (finished 16th)
  • 1 assist vs Stoke (finished 14th)
Top half opposition:
  • 1 assist vs Fulham (finished 9th)
  • 1 assist vs Liverpool (finished 8th)
  • 1 goal & 1 assist against Arsenal (finished 3rd)
Berbatov did the same the previous season when he scored 12 of his 20 PL goals against the bottom 3 clubs. And lots of fans criticise Lukaku for similar stat padding. Look, I don’t think Valencia was a bad player. Especially his earlier United career. But he is not a better player than Willian. There’s a reason why Valencia wasn‘t on set-pieces and why he was eventually moved to RB. He’s limited. His ability to get to the byline dwindled more and more after 2011/2012.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Real Madrid once loaned in Julien Faubert. The Real scouts of that era were clearly on crack.

What is bizarre is you hyping that 11/12 season by bringing Cantona and Beckham into the conversation.

If you actually looked at who the goals & assists came against, it shows that he clearly stat padded.

Bottom half opposition:
Top half opposition:
Berbatov did the same the previous season when he scored 12 of his 20 PL goals against the bottom 3 clubs. And lots of fans criticise Lukaku for similar stat padding. Look, I don’t think Valencia was a bad player. Especially his earlier United career. But he is not a better player than Willian. There’s a reason why Valencia wasn‘t on set-pieces and why he was eventually moved to RB. He’s limited. His ability to get to the byline dwindled more and more after 2011/2012.
You say Willian being on set pieces is somehow a point in his favour but this is just silly and more a product of the team around him - we had no one else really to take set pieces consistently post-Fabregas. Willian's set pieces are absolutely atrocious as well - last year in the league we scored 11 set piece goals from 38, this year we've scored 6 from 8. The biggest difference isn't in who's on the receiving end, it's who's delivering them - going from Willian to Ziyech / Chilwell / Mount is a colossal upgrade.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I think Willian was better than Valencia for most of his career. :nervous:

Web of Bissaka

RW/RM
1. Prime Valencia
2. Willian
3. Valencia

RB
1. Prime Valencia
2. Valencia
3. Old Valencia

Simple.

Prime Valencia is pure monster. Valencia adapted to different position RB after worsening quickly at RW/RM for who knows why with his "crossing.exe is missing", while Willian is more consistent and long term at RW/RM without being spectacular nor a top player, just a nice very good squad player balancing Chelsea's team that had Hazard at those times. Willian never become the best in anything in PL, just given praises and appreciation by football fans, and ability wise, he's good and balance all-around but nothing really standout.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

Bottom half opposition:
Top half opposition:
It's bizarre that I'm comparing his 14 assist season in 27 games to the best assist seasons by United players? The comparison is lost on you? Also Valencia played 27 games that season. He go injured remember. He missed both games against Spurs and one against Arsenal, Liverpool and City and one of the games against Chelsea was his first game after injuries off the bench. But you go ahead and dismiss 14 assists in one season in only 27 games. Only 16 players have done better in the entirity of the PL.
The Lukaku criticism is also not comparable. Lukaku never scored against Liverpool, City, Spurs or Arsenal and he had 1 goal against Chelsea. In his 2nd season with us he played in 45 games and scored in 10 of them. Last season he failed to score against Lazio and Juventus. Didn't score against Lazio either this season even though half their squad has the virus and even though he plays much better for Inter than United in general.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
RW/RM
1. Prime Valencia
2. Willian
3. Valencia

RB
1. Prime Valencia
2. Valencia
3. Old Valencia

Simple.

Prime Valencia is pure monster. Valencia adapted to different position RB after worsening quickly at RW/RM for who knows why with his "crossing.exe is missing", while Willian is more consistent and long term at RW/RM without being spectacular nor a top player, just a nice very good squad player balancing Chelsea's team that had Hazard at those times. Willian never become the best in anything in PL, just given praises and appreciation by football fans, and ability wise, he's good and balance all-around but nothing really standout.
This is spot on. Willian's best season for Chelsea was last year, and even then his totals are inflated because he scored 4 penalties. The only argument I could see someone making is that Willian was perhaps more reliable season over season and was less injury-prone, but that feels like grasping at straws.

I think Willian was better than Valencia for most of his career. :nervous:
agree. He had a great 18 months either side of his injury, but what an infuriating player. I never warmed to him, and he stayed a good 5 years too long.

what’s the cooking programme on tv? cant cross/ won’t cross? Pleased to see the back of Turn Back Tony.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
RW/RM
1. Prime Valencia
2. Willian

3. Valencia

RB
1. Prime Valencia
2. Valencia
3. Old Valencia

Simple.

Rating-wise – this (although I may have added some free space between Willian and broken Valencia at RW).

I've watched Willian even when he had played in both Ukraine & Russia and he still failed to fully stamp his mark on either of those leagues as a player of his talent should've (yeah, I know that he had even won POTY once). It's really hard to say what exactly does he miss as he has a great technique and an even better mentality/workrate, but somehow those two components don't add together in the way that they usually do. A rare case where the whole is lesser than the sum of its parts, I guess.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
This is spot on. Willian's best season for Chelsea was last year, and even then his totals are inflated because he scored 4 penalties. The only argument I could see someone making is that Willian was perhaps more reliable season over season and was less injury-prone, but that feels like grasping at straws.
Have to agree. Willian is one of those players where if you do not watch a lot of his games and only really catch highlights you probably think he is a really good or even world class player. If you did watch him a lot you think he is a ok to good player but one that is way overrated.

I watch a lot of Chelsea as my half of my close mates are Chelsea fans so we end up watching a lot of Utd and Chelsea together. From doing that, I agree with Chelsea fans in their assessment of Willian. Incredibly frustrating player.

Further, in these types of conversations you need to look for common denominators, after having him for 10 games Arsenal fans are saying what Chelsea fans were saying for years. Either both are on crack or Willian is the problem.