Willy Kambwala

0le

Do the long term injuries that several of our youth players have had over the years suggest that refereeing in the youth team isn't up to scratch and therefore more dangerous tackles are allowed?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Do the long term injuries that several of our youth players have had over the years suggest that refereeing in the youth team isn't up to scratch and therefore more dangerous tackles are allowed?
The referees at youth level are utterly appalling. They’re not just incompetent but negligent, we’ve been saying on here for years how violent some clubs are at youth level and the referees let them get away with murder.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He was also injured playing in a u23 game against Salford if i'm not mistaken. If he was, then something needs to be done to protect the players at this level.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Anyone know if he returned to action earlier today? We beat QPR 6-4 with some people suggesting we started with a CB pairing of Louis Jackson (15) and Willy Kambwala (16)

Connor C

I've been trying to get info on, this but thus far nothing. He's been out for a long time now.
Very worrying if still injured. Hopefully we’re just protecting him from getting further injuries, I can’t see us taking any risks due to the fee we paid for him

LimerickRed

What a sickner, he was very highly rated coming in and in those first few matches he played I thought he looked very very good

lenny_1248

Brilliant news. He looked amazing in his debut.
Should finish the season with U-23's no doubt.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was good to see him return after being out for a long period of time. Could've had a assist too after a nice upfield charge followed by a nice pass which created a good chance for Sharpe.

He only turned 17 last month but looks a towering figure who is blessed with athleticism and technical ability in abundance. It won't be long before we see him in the u23s, and hopefully no more injury setbacks.

Bertie Wooster

It was good to see him return after being out for a long period of time. Could've had a assist too after a nice upfield charge followed by a nice pass which created a good chance for Sharpe.

He only turned 17 last month but looks a towering figure who is blessed with athleticism and technical ability in abundance. It won't be long before we see him in the u23s, and hopefully no more injury setbacks.
Absolutely.

I'd only really had clips, and what I'd read about him to go off up until now - but that was all so positive that I've been desperate for him to return and start playing.

That appearance today was enough to highlight what you've said - that he has very impressive physical and technical attributes. I'm eager now to see if he possesses / develops positional awareness and good reading of the game - as you see plenty benefiting from physical advantages at youth level but who get exposed at higher levels with poor tactical sense that doesn't sufficiently improve.

Hopefully Kambwala is the complete package. He's certainly very impressive at this level and I'm sure we'll see him make some U23 appearances at some point in the 2nd half of the season if he stays fit.

For now, it's just great to finally see him back playing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Absolutely.

I'd only really had clips, and what I'd read about him to go off up until now - but that was all so positive that I've been desperate for him to return and start playing.

That appearance today was enough to highlight what you've said - that he has very impressive physical and technical attributes. I'm eager now to see if he possesses / develops positional awareness and good reading of the game - as you see plenty benefiting from physical advantages at youth level but who get exposed at higher levels with poor tactical sense that doesn't sufficiently improve.

Hopefully Kambwala is the complete package. He's certainly very impressive at this level and I'm sure we'll see him make some U23 appearances at some point in the 2nd half of the season if he stays fit.

For now, it's just great to finally see him back playing.
Completely agree and you're absolutely spot on.

The tactical nature of the game is what will define him in the long run IMO. He has all the physical and technical tools to become a fantastic CB and is also very dominant aerially with a fantastic leap on him.

But having said all that, I do expect him to make mistakes in games and there will be bumps in the road in his journey which is normal for a young player coming through the ranks.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
He is exceptionally quick....there can't be many faster players in our squad than him

Bondi77

He looks like a good athlete and is good in the air which is an asset even these days for a CB.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just needs better luck with injuries. I’ve said it before, but it’s like every big talent we sign from abroad is required a customary long-term injury as part of their development!

Remember the geese

Was nice to see him fit and playing well. Hopefully he can go on a good run now with the 18's and force himself into the 21's. The talent has always been there.

mav_9me

Came to post above.

He looked like professional playing with kids in the backyard.

Don't see why he'd play another U18 game.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Came to post above.

He looked like professional playing with kids in the backyard.

Don't see why he'd play another U18 game.
Definitely needs to be playing with more physically developed players. So difficult to judge these young players who went through puberty aged 5 and have been stacking muscle mass since.

Sancho99

He looks an absolute beast amongst kids there :lol:

I hope he has some luck with fitness. He's had a mare with injuries the poor lad.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Similar to a young Varane in style?

jeepers

Thanks for the highlights.
Was the opposition kid that stood blatantly on Kambwala's ankle allowed to play on?
Oddly very angry after viewing that. (1m30 on the video)
Feckin cnut first the tackle then as you said, blatantly standing (with his full weight) on Kambwala’s ankle. Although Kambwala barely reacted to it.

Sea-Cow

I have to admit that as a delusional teenager I occasionally acted like a twat when playing football, and I know we probably should be patient and understanding with kids under immense pressure to try and make it as a professional, but I would hope that someone on their coaching staff had a word with that lad. The tackle was fecking ridiculous, and then he one-ups himself by being an even bigger cnut and standing on his ankle.

Lucky for Kambwala the dirty little shit looked like a shrunken Peter Crouch so no damage was done.

Edit to add: I am also strangely angry about it, even after reading the comment above and being pre-warned!

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Thanks for the highlights.
Was the opposition kid that stood blatantly on Kambwala's ankle allowed to play on?
Oddly very angry after viewing that. (1m30 on the video)
I have to admit that as a delusional teenager I occasionally acted like a twat when playing football, and I know we probably should be patient and understanding with kids under immense pressure to try and make it as a professional, but I would hope that someone on their coaching staff had a word with that lad. The tackle was fecking ridiculous, and then he one-ups himself by being an even bigger cnut and standing on his ankle.

Lucky for Kambwala the dirty little shit looked like a shrunken Peter Crouch so no damage was done.

Edit to add: I am also strangely angry about it, even after reading the comment above and being pre-warned!
Makes complete sense to be infuriated by shit like that. Not to sound dramatic but could easily have been a career ender. A broken ankle is tough to recover from for any professional but more importantly, at their age, missing a full year on the sidelines in their development could be the difference between making it at premier league level or not. Players like that kid who tried that shit, should honestly be banned for a good length of time as they have zero respect for another kids potential career.