Willy Kambwala

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's hardly played in the last two years due to injury. And I'd be very surprised if he started a first game this season.

But having said that, I hope he can stay injury free from now on because he seems to have big potential for a young CB. He's strong aerially, technically and and is also physically and athletically gifted which is a big bonus.

Let's hope he stays injury free because otherwise the football potential he has, will go to waste.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I was thinking about him a couple if days ago when thinking of what our options would be if both Maguire and Lindelof left, and whether we had a young centre half ready to be 4th choice. I just didn’t know where he stood because every time I check for him in the lineups this season he seems to be out injured.

Good to see that he’s still being thought of as a prospect because he has all the tools.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Big lad isn't he, be a handful for the opposition on corners.
I remember him being tall and a bit gangly, but in that picture he looks solid as feck. Maybe that will improve his resilience to injury.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I remember him being tall and a bit gangly, but in that picture he looks solid as feck. Maybe that will improve his resilience to injury.
Same thing happened with Mengi. When you have long-term injuries you have the time and the opportunity to strengthen your (upper) body. Happens quite often. Not always a good thing as it can weaken your mobility.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Same thing happened with Mengi. When you have long-term injuries you have the time and the opportunity to strengthen your (upper) body. Happens quite often. Not always a good thing as it can weaken your mobility.
I think even his legs look heavier set as well, but the biggest shift is in the upper body. You'd hope it was a bit more dynamic and not just smashing bench press and curls!

Demaw

I remember his first game and he looked a man amongst boys, same with Mejia, injuries have ruined two seasons. Hopefully, more time over the off season will help. Both very talented.

K Stand Knut

Very, very, very good performance last night.

First time I’ve been impressed with him after the hype he received over the years but brilliant all round for 90 minutes last night

Robbo*

Nice stats. Hopefully he is luckier from now on with injuries. It would be nice to bring up an academy defender into the first team.
it would be great. How did Ogunneye play? Other than Fernandez and Kambwala, he was the other defender that I had high hopes for. Maybe Amass now too, but haven’t seen him yet.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
it would be great. How did Ogunneye play? Other than Fernandez and Kambwala, he was the other defender that I had high hopes for. Maybe Amass now too, but haven’t seen him yet.
Very good second half. Like the whole team he was a bit shaky at the start of the game, but improved a lot after the break. Won a lot of duels and used his skills and pace to get forward a couple of times. Decent game, as it was for the whole defense.

As for Kambwala, his first half reminded me of Bailly in some ways. Clumsy and uncomfortable on the ball, his reading of the game was a bit underwhelming too. But at the same time he used his strength, won most of his duels and together with Aljofree, my PotM, marked their strikers out of the game.

It’s in possession that I’m most concerned about. Like Mengi, he has the physical tools to become a professional somewhere, but he seems a bit nervy, undecisive and hesitant with the ball. Did better in the second half in that regards too though.

It feels like he needs a lot of coaching to improve but there’s a lot of raw talent there. Hope he stays healthy now and gets a lot of minutes with the U21s (and in the UYL?) until christmas. Then perhaps a loan somewhere.

Last edited:

DuruttiColumn

Big Willy is another one, isn’t he? Beat off all the big clubs in Europe to sign him and he takes three steps on the pitch and is out injured for a year. Looked to be a top top prospect a few years ago

Borninthe80ts

It’s great to see that he is back and finding some form early in the season and against adults too.
I also had high hopes for him and can definitely still see though his progress has clearly slowed. I think his class on the ball will return hopefully with confidence and the more he plays in a stable partnership. As strong as he is, it was his ability on the ball that impressed me most when we first brought him.

In relation to partnerships I’d like to see how him and Aljofree develop. I see shades of Evans in Al, and I think they compliment each other well, attributes wise.

TheReligion

Abusive
Training with the first team.

Looks like he might get some time in the matchday squad given the news on Martinez

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Missing out on 2 years of development through injury is awfully bad luck. I just hope he can stay injury free from now on.

Bondi77

I notice that the young man has been managing to string a few games together after his unlucky spell regarding injuries.
I do not get to watch the youth games so I just wondered if he was looking good and does he have what it takes to make it here?

dutchred

I hope he stays fit. He could save us a lot of money eventually

Borninthe80ts

I genuinely think without injuries he would have been around the first team squad by now. If he can stay fit and after a loan maybe next year he could come back and be in contention. There will be opportunities I’m sure, regardless of recruitments made.

TheReligion

Abusive
I genuinely think without injuries he would have been around the first team squad by now. If he can stay fit and after a loan maybe next year he could come back and be in contention. There will be opportunities I’m sure, regardless of recruitments made.
Has he developed his ball playing abilities?

Varun1

I was expecting to read about another injury ... Just glad that's not the case.

Ace of Spades

Doubt he will have trouble adapting to pro men's football, but he lacks a lot of experience. Needs a good loan where he can play every week, as physically he is not lacking.

Look at Mengi, looks to have settled very well at Luton. Depending on the right environment, players can make rapid progress at such young ages.

FerociousCorgis

No idea about who he is but considering Evans and varane aren't exactly in peak physical form good chance he plays today at some point

Oranges038

Be interesting to see how he does if he comes on, highly likely that Varane or Evans won't see out the full game.

Could be a big chance for him today to get some minutes and show what he's capable of.

flameinthesun

Good on the lad. We've had a few CBs almost break through (I thought Axel was the chosen one), hopefully its all upwards from here for him.

Big Andy

Bloke
Good on the lad. We've had a few CBs almost break through (I thought Axel was the chosen one), hopefully its all upwards from here for him.
We generally don’t get chance to blood young defenders, the pressure on United to win is too much and they want ready made players.

Bigsid

Yeah very good point.
Like Garnacho these players arent academy products. Theybe been.brought in from abroad at 16 on professional.contracts. The fact they get on a bench approaching 20 should be expected. Lets hope he gets on.