Wilshere - where does the hype come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I find it strange to see all this criticism about Wilshere. He seems to be the definition of small man's syndrome but feck me, at the age of 18, he looks impressive almost every game, even when his team plays shite.
One thing you can't fault is his fighting spirit. When other Arsenal players are hiding on the pitch, he get's stuck in and always tries to force the play. He was a threat against us because he just doesn't give up.
That's perhaps the most impressive thing about him to me. We're used to Arsenal being somewhat a bunch of bottlers who go missing when the going gets hard, but he's in there trying to drive his team forward when his team most need him.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Saw him a couple of years ago rip our lads apart in the Youth Cup final. It was quite obvious then he was going to be a great player - I think if Wenger doesn't take Arsenal onto the next level over the next couple of years. He might have a job on his hands in keeping hold of the young man.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Thought yesterday showed his shortcommings more than anything, though he was still far more impressive than Diaby or Denilson, and he's what, 19?

Even Rooney and Ronaldo were blunt instruments at that age. TO be honest earlier in the season I didn't get the hype, but the fact he's shown a bit of bite since then has changed my mind. The ability is blatantly there to go with it.

He should be removed from Twitter though. It shows him up as a bit of an unclassy bellend.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
and you just watch England try and feck his career at international level up by expecting far too much of him far too soon. Probably whilst playing him in a position he isn't suited to.

AttackingFlair

He is clearly a special talent, got the better of Rooney twice as well. Arsenal look sorted in the midfield department for years with him and Ramsey unfortunately.

Laphroaig

Thought yesterday showed his shortcommings more than anything, though he was still far more impressive than Diaby or Denilson, and he's what, 19?

Even Rooney and Ronaldo were blunt instruments at that age. TO be honest earlier in the season I didn't get the hype, but the fact he's shown a bit of bite since then has changed my mind. The ability is blatantly there to go with it.

He should be removed from Twitter though. It shows him up as a bit of an unclassy bellend.
Agree with all of this, especially the middle part.

But best performance by an opposition player at OT this season? That is ludicrous.

Sylar

Can just imagine Wilshere being played on the left of Englands midfield to allow Gerrard-Lampard to try and work in the centre.

Its just weird seeing somebody with fight at a young age playing for Arsenal (nowadays). He has that bit of "cnutishness" which isnt a bad thing at times when its your own player.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off

Rooney was a blunt age at 19?

Rooney at 19 pisses all over Wilshere. He was incredible.

datura

I thought Wilshere was fantastic yesterday. He was the one trying to drive the team forward and has great balance, vision and composure for such a young player. He's also a chippy little sod, like many of the best players.

alastair

ignorant
Just compare his performance to that of say, Diaby or Denilson yesterday. He's five years behind them in development but plays infinitely better than them on a regular basis. Why? Drive, committment, passion, but above all, incredible ability. Love him. Also applauded the away fans at length yesterday.

Name Changed

weso26
Just compare his performance to that of say, Diaby or Denilson yesterday. He's five years behind them in development but plays infinitely better than them on a regular basis. Why? Drive, committment, passion, but above all, incredible ability. Love him. Also applauded the away fans at length yesterday.
I'd prefer him to your captain.

Aint gota Kalou

I'd prefer him to your captain.
Not yet, could certainly get to that level though. Since he's been playing quite deep he's not really proved he has that end-product that Fabregas has got. Knowing how good he is he probably has it in his locker though, just a case of moving him further up the field.

One thing he has over Fabregas is that he has that edge to his game which means he can do the dirty stuff equally as well as the pretty.

alastair

ignorant
Not yet, could certainly get to that level though. Since he's been playing quite deep he's not really proved he has that end-product that Fabregas has got. Knowing how good he is he probably has it in his locker though, just a case of moving him further up the field.

One thing he has over Fabregas is that he has that edge to his game which means he can do the dirty stuff equally as well as the pretty.
Fabregas can be a dirty bastard himself when he wants to be. Although I see your point - Cesc prefers the verbal abuse of opposition staff and fans to actually nailing someone.

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
I thought Wilshere was fantastic yesterday. He was the one trying to drive the team forward and has great balance, vision and composure for such a young player. He's also a chippy little sod, like many of the best players.
Totally agree. I didn't think he was that good the first couple of times I watched him but he's certainly looking the part now.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Rooney was mental at 19. Similar level of young talent to Messi.

As good as Rooney has been since joining us, and even though he hasn't yet reached his peak years (hopefully), I think we all assumed Rooney would be consistently fecking shit up by this point going by how good he was then.

Various factors have prevented this, but there's time on his side still.

alastair

ignorant
I'm sure the debate's been had, but I think Rooney was actually better at 19 than he was, say, last season. Watching Rooney bang in goals from ten yards out is pretty soul destroying when you know he can do it from thirty.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Rooney's best season for me was still 05/06.

I'd take a few more seasons like last, mind.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
Absolute nonsense. Rooney was picking up more bookings than goals when he was teenager.

Of course he was a special talent, but he's a much better player now.

People over-hyped him when he was young, and under-rate now. It's retarded.

Rooney's form will be the difference between United winning big and winning nothing this year.

alastair

ignorant
Absolute nonsense. Rooney was picking up more bookings than goals when he was teenager.

Of course he was a special talent, but he's a much better player now.

People over-hyped him when he was young, and under-rate now. It's retarded.

Rooney's form will be the difference between United winning big and winning nothing this year.
There's a lot of truth in that. It's that unpredictability though. Rooney's goal against City was unbelievable, and that's what I want to see more of. Obviously, you can't expect that every week, but just a bit more explosiveness. If he combined his current maturity around his role with that childish expression he used to have, he'd be immense.

AttackingFlair

It's strange how one of the best strikers in the world struggles to beat a man, shows how good his overall game is though.

johnmufc

Wilshere is the most complete midfielder I've ever seen under the age of 20.

He is spectacular. I am so jealous that Arsenal have him.

I also think Wenger deserves so much credit for Wilshere's development.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Hopefully for you he doesn't stall in the same way Fabregas has.

AttackingFlair

Rooney looks a man 5 years out of sync, he played like a 21-year-old when he arrived at 16 and now plays like a 30-year-old.
Decent point.. but then look at the likes of Diego Forlan, 31 years of age, scores a sensational amount of goals with his left peg and from range, also beats a man quite comfortably.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If 'stall' means continue to improve to be the best player in the league I'll settle for that.
I'm not sure. On his day Fabregas is sensational, but he's so inconsistent. I've watched a fair few Arsenal games this year and he's played pretty poorly in a number of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.