Win Percentage Under Solskjaer

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's funny how Ole in raves about how he's bringing back the United culture, signing United players or the right fit for our culture when he himself is not the right fit. Asides from promoting youth, Ole is nothing like a United manager. Does not play attacking football, is not tactically flexible, lacks ambition, smiles at losses and poor performances, can't handle pressure, can't motivate his players when losing, lacks charisma and presence (though I couldn't care less about this). But this is not how a United manager should be.
To be fair, it was Van Gaal who promoted youth more than Ole.

I am afraid that all we are likely to get from Ole is more mediocrity. I just don't believe that he is capable enough to turn United into serious title challengers.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
That makes it worse, gives me nightmares of a Red Hot Chillis concert I went to in Hyde Park back in 2004, fecking James Brown was hung out to dry by the Chillis and had to sing “I feel good” for about 30 minutes before they were ready to come on. Since then that song does the opposite to me.
I might have been at that myself, don't remember James Brown though :lol:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
54% isn’t good enough but 55% is. Not too far off then
Minimum expected if you give him alot of slack. On the other hand you could point to the teams he has met and say the bar should be higher..

And in any case, he is still below. Difficult to say really, but 54 % is not in any case where a Man Utd manager should be these days.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
It's funny how Ole in raves about how he's bringing back the United culture, signing United players or the right fit for our culture when he himself is not the right fit. Asides from promoting youth, Ole is nothing like a United manager. Does not play attacking football, is not tactically flexible, lacks ambition, smiles at losses and poor performances, can't handle pressure, can't motivate his players when losing, lacks charisma and presence (though I couldn't care less about this). But this is not how a United manager should be.
And this was Giggs after he already had won 12 PL titles.

bonothom

Feck me.. People is running out of thing to defend Ole and now they are using "feel good". What's that supposed to mean?

In real life, as man utd fan, everywhere u go people is laughing and making jokes about our incompetent manager! Enough said.

And if our players "feel good" at 8th then we are truly fecked.
Yeah it amazes me how a squad can apparently have a feel good factor when they are playing in the worst performing United team in 31 years. What can possibly be 'feel good' about that. Although if I was earning over £100, 000 a week with a manager that was happy being shite I wouldn't give a feck either

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Returned erm

LvG got two years, Mourinho got two and a half years, Ole has only had a year, if Ole were to get another year and a half I doubt anybody in the Ole In camp will be saying he deserves more time than the other two just because he is a club Legend. Which is what you are suggesting.

And the clip/video previous was for those, and there are far too many who think those of us who feel Ole deserves more time is because he's a club Legend, and for no other reason.

mu4c_20le

Quite.

Apparently ‘99 is enough to justify giving Ole as much time as he needs. Perhaps if things still aren’t working out in another few years we can bring Blomqvist in.
Don't think anyone actually said lets give Ole as much time as he needs, regardless of results or performances. I did expect that it would justify at least some level of respect though, being a Utd forum after all.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Don't think anyone actually said lets give Ole as much time as he needs, regardless of results or performances. I did expect that it would justify at least some level of respect though, being a Utd forum after all.
What does respect for him as a player have to do with anything?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is just an attempt to make Ole look less shit by splitting his record into quarters & acting like he got unlucky in one of those quarters. He needs to be judged by league performances, and he’s led us to our worst start in 30 years. Worse than Moyes, who is seen as a disaster on here. Would you do this kind of thing for Mourinho/LVG/Moyes? No, I bet you wouldn’t. You Ole-in’ers are getting desperate.

James Ward

I think top four is definitely out of the question, we will end up around 8th or 9th with the fixtures coming up. Just concentrate now on the europa league and keep our players fit for that.

Oles tactics might work for that.

R'hllor

Just dont understand how people still cant separate same person with different roles, agendas, interests. Do people think Neville has same angles as player and now when he maybe has an eye to establish his wealth, buisness, provide more secure future for family members etc. Tomorrow they can become sellouts, regardless of their love or player status.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I'm not sure what you mean, is there a Dr.Jekyll thing going on here? Is he a different person when managing us?
This is ridiculous. Do you want Steve Bruce to manage us next? Or Mark Hughes?

I don’t have to respect someone as a manager just because they were a great player. Ole is a crap manager and him being a legend of a player isn’t going to change that.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Never thought much of win percentage as a measure. Even less so when it includes cups.

Teams prioritise cups to differing degrees so including it everyone's record doesn't make sense.

There's such a thing as luck of the draw in cups.

In the league draws are still worth a point - you can play 10 with a 50% win record when you win 5 and lose 5 and have 15 points. Win 3 draw 6 and lose 1 and you've still got 15 points but your win percentage is 30%. Which is better? Neither when it comes down to what matters which is the points on the board. The 30% team may even have a chance of better goal difference as they've won more than they've lost.

It's a bad way to judge things as far as I'm concerned.

littleman

Returned erm

LvG got two years, Mourinho got two and a half years, Ole has only had a year, if Ole were to get another year and a half I doubt anybody in the Ole In camp will be saying he deserves more time than the other two just because he is a club Legend. Which is what you are suggesting.

And the clip/video previous was for those, and there are far too many who think those of us who feel Ole deserves more time is because he's a club Legend, and for no other reason.
Yo.

This goal post shifting of yours is dumb.

He said other posters said Ole deserved time because Ole won the CL.

He showed you the thread.

Now you change the very point of the argument to suit your position.

Sit down and shut up.

Denis79

First of all, this is not a post about style of football or coaching ability, simply statistics and results.

A lot has been made of our win percentage and results under Solskjaer since him being made permanent which is admittedly poor right now (39%)

However as the below will show this is skewed massively by the period between the win in Paris and the end of last season which was an absolute train wreck and as freakish a set of results as his 82% win percentage in his stint as caretaker.

To track progress since he became manager I had a quick look at the progress of win percentage by splitting his games into chunks of 20 (yeah it's arbitrary, so is judging his results as caretaker completely separately from his results as permanent manager as many often seem inclined to do)*

games 1 to 20 - 75% win rate
games 21 to 40 - 20% win rate (!)
games 41 to 60 - 55% win rate
games 61 to 68 - 50% win rate

so the above basically shows that something freakishly bad happened games 21 to 40 (fatigue perhaps, emotional hangover from Paris, too much deadwood in the squad, bit of a shaky start to this season) but since then we seemed to have stabilised at a win rate which is roughly what you would expect from a United manager (54%)

In the context of the horrible luck with injuries we've had and reliance on what is still a fairly weak/young squad, that's not bad.

*quote from serial ABU Jonathan Wilson a few weeks ago:

That brings us to the present situation. Since he was given the job on a permanent basis in March, no United manager since Bamlett – not Frank O’Farrell, not Wilf McGuinness, not even the hapless Scott Duncan – has a worse win percentage than Ole Gunnar Solskjær’s 36.67%.

Quotes like the above would imply since Ole got the job permanently we've been winning 1 in 3 games on a consistent basis but as mentioned this is massively skewed by the crazily huge dip we had just after he was confirmed as manager and the shaky start we had this season which has since levelled out into a more consistent pattern of results.

Admittedly we're talking small sample sizes but to me there seems to be a clear pattern and evidence of progress and stabilisation.
I have to disagree with the progress part, this is the worst start we've had in 30+ years. Just two seasons ago we finished 2nd, last 5 seasons we have won several cups, it's not like we've been relegation fodder for years and now suddenly we're finally starting to do well, we're actually doing worse (stats show it).

I do get your point but in the end this season should be judged the same way LvG and Mourinho were in their first season. They both got stuck with squads they didn't want and started a rebuild of their own.

This season is far from over and hopefully we'll turn a corner and do well soon but it isn't acceptable for us to finish outside the top 6, unless we bag a cup or two.

Last edited:

dave1956

I am of an age where I witnessed our relegation ( A side which was far better than the present ) looking at the league if we lose the next 3 games and those teams below us win we will be in a situation where relegation is a possibility. Should this occur we will be in a completely new world where none of the present management or coaching staff ,players have been.
I will admit that I was of the opinion of giving him time to resolve our problems but I have now come round to the idea that he cannot. This is based on the fact that we appear to have no tactical or playing structure, coaching appears to be not up to the required standard that one would expect from a club in the top division..
Do I expect our present league to improve no I do not, do I expect our present head coach ( i.e. Ole ) and coaching staff to improve our position next season no I do not.
We require a complete restructure of our playing and coaching staff, Ole, Phelan and Carrick will not take us forward

sugar_kane

I realise I'm opening up myself to more ridicule by bumping this poorly perceived thread, but regardless I thought I would point out that his stats are still looking okay when excluding that insanely bad blip that started with Solskjaer's permanent appointment and spilled over into the start of this season:

games 1-20 - 75% win rate
games 21-40 - 20% win rate
games 41-60 - 55% win rate
games 61-72 - 58% win rate

or if you increase the sample size:

games 1-40 - 48% win rate
games 41-72 - 56% win rate

to re-iterate, I'm not saying he is a great or even good manager - just that how bad he is has been hugely exaggerated by the media and by some of our own fans, and that any stats (which are usually the root of the criticism) are massively skewed by the free-fall that began with him being appointed on a permanent basis and only seemed to stop around the time that Martial came back from injury.

I'll say it again as I did the first time around, we only give a shit about the PL win-rate, not the win-rate including Rochdale Colchester, Astana, AZ, Tranmere, Partizan, Brugge. It's really really weird you'd bump this thread again after just a few weeks when people explained this to you at the time, that the "better" stats there are beefed up due to EL group shite & LC shite.

How is that looking? Is it improving now after a good December and February (despite the shit Jan)?

I know it's 41% over the course of this season, absolutely wank, but I'm hopeful that our Feb-May will be miles better after a top transfer window to correct the naive mistakes of the Summer.

Last edited:

Crashoutcassius

only 42% which is piss poor, that's over 55 games.

We seem to have stabilised a lot since then though, 56% since we drew against Liverpool back in October (32 games)
I thought he had 72 games, are you not coutning some tournaments?

EDIT sorry just changed tranfer market and its 72 games and 53% win

1.5% more and he will have the same as Poch at spurs actually, mad

We seem to have stabilised a lot since then though, 56% since we drew against Liverpool back in October (32 games)
Kin ell, since Liverpool (20th Oct) we've beaten:

Partizan x 2
Alkmaar
Colchester
Tranmere
Brugge
City in a game which they'd already won

In the league since 20th October we have a win-rate of 50%, it's just about acceptable now due to a top February after a dog shit Jan. So let's bump this thread again when the PL-rate remains at 50% minimum by the end of April, as that'll be a real sign of progress.

Gasolin

Kin ell, since Liverpool (20th Oct) we've beaten:

Partizan x 2
Alkmaar
Colchester
Tranmere
Brugge
City in a game which they'd already won

In the league since 20th October we have a win-rate of 50%, it's just about acceptable now due to a top February after a dog shit Jan. So let's bump this thread again when the PL-rate remains at 50% minimum by the end of April, as that'll be a real sign of progress.
Look at that link.
https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2...small-half-time-adjustment-pays-big-dividends

From day 1 to 14, we won 4 out of 14 = 28.5%.
From day 15 to 27, we won 7 out of 13 = 53.8%.

Should he win tomorrow, we're going up to 57.1% in that period, etc...

Compared to the other managers:
From day 1 to 14,
  • Rodgers has 10 wins out of 14 = 71.4%.
  • Pep has 9 wins out of 14 = 64.3%
  • Lampard has 8 wins out of 14 = 57.4%
  • Pochettino / Jose has 5 wins out of 14 = 35.7%
  • Emery has 4 wins out of 14 = 28.6%
From day 15 to 27,
  • Rodgers has 5 wins out of 13 = 38.5%.
  • Pep has 9 wins out of 13 = 69.2%
  • Lampard has 5 wins out of 13 = 38.5%
  • Jose has 6 wins out of 13 = 46.2%
  • Ljungberg / Arteta has 4 wins out of 13 = 30.7%
We are 3rd best right now. The point tally is not great, but it's coming together, and it also means the players finally understand what is asked from them better.

RUCK4444

Look at that link.
https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2...small-half-time-adjustment-pays-big-dividends

From day 1 to 14, we won 4 out of 14 = 28.5%.
From day 15 to 27, we won 7 out of 13 = 53.8%.

Should he win tomorrow, we're going up to 57.1% in that period, etc...

Compared to the other managers:
From day 1 to 14,
  • Rodgers has 10 wins out of 14 = 71.4%.
  • Pep has 9 wins out of 14 = 64.3%
  • Lampard has 8 wins out of 14 = 57.4%
  • Pochettino / Jose has 5 wins out of 14 = 35.7%
  • Emery has 4 wins out of 14 = 28.6%
From day 15 to 27,
  • Rodgers has 5 wins out of 13 = 38.5%.
  • Pep has 9 wins out of 13 = 69.2%
  • Lampard has 5 wins out of 13 = 38.5%
  • Jose has 6 wins out of 13 = 46.2%
  • Ljungberg / Arteta has 4 wins out of 13 = 30.7%
We are 3rd best right now. The point tally is not great, but it's coming together, and it also means the players finally understand what is asked from them better.
Good post, he won't listen to you mind but thanks for posting. It sort of mirrors the feeling I had about our progression.

We are slowly getting there now. A BIG summer is a must and will hopefully see us go from strength to strength and allow Ole to implement the high press which I feel is going to be a big component to Ole's style of play once we have the personnel.

M Bison

Supports
York City
There’s always a stat that can be pulled to support any agenda but fundamentally, this season the only one that matters is our final league position.

I’d say:

Top 4 - good outcome
5th-6th - acceptable
7th and below - poor

Theses lots of other measures of course, reducing wage bill, bringing through youth, getting more out of players (Fred, Rashford etc) but essentially, league position is the primary concern for football fans and what a manager is gauged upon.