With Sancho & Camavinga in, do we soon surpass Liverpool & City's squad?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
A side with Rashford and Sancho in the lineup has to compete for the title. Not sure if that’s better than City or Liverpool but definitely competing worthy.

romufc

A side with Rashford and Sancho in the lineup has to compete for the title. Not sure if that’s better than City or Liverpool but definitely competing worthy.
Agree with this, not just Rashford and Sancho, we are looking at a very good spine.

DDG, Maguire, AWB, Pogba, Bruno, Rashford, Sancho. A team consisting with these many quality players has to compete with the very best.

I know alot of people have their doubts, but even this season we have hardly seen our best 11 on the pitch together very long.

With the additions of Bruno and potentially Sancho if we can get them to play 30/38 games together then there is a good chance we compete.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Just Sancho & Camavinga — no way. But with Mejbri coming through as well... :drool: Still no

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Greenwood and James is adequate cover at RW, Rashford gets injured and Sancho or Martial can fill in at that position too, we'd be sorted for depth across our front 3. Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho has crazy potential, we'd easily equal them with the likes of Bruno and Pogba feeding them in.
Compared to their squads, James isn't a very good backup to the level of Mahrez and Sane on the wings. So in comparison our squad will not surpass theirs.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Is this under the assumption that Liverpool will sign Werner, etc... or that Liverpool and Man City's squads will stay exactly the same for next season?

luke511

Compared to their squads, James isn't a very good backup to the level of Mahrez and Sane on the wings. So in comparison our squad will not surpass theirs.
City wing options: Sterling, Mahrez, Sane, B. Silva
Potential Utd wing options: Rashford, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, James

We'd be good on the back up front.

NoPace

City's squad looks better overall and Klopp has figured out alchemy in midfield and their front 3, fullbacks and Van Dijk + Allison are all fantastic.

I don't see why next year won't be City and Liverpool in a great title race and then United, Chelsea, Leicester and Spurs fighting for the 3rd and 4th spots and probably one team joins them by outperforming expectations like Arsenal, Wolves or Everton getting hot for a couple months.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
City wing options: Sterling, Mahrez, Sane, B. Silva
Potential Utd wing options: Rashford, Sancho, Martial, Greenwood, James

We'd be good on the back up front.
Maybe you miss understand the concept of having a batter squad.

2 of our wing options are actually strikers (Martial starting and Greenwood)
Then James is a big drop in quality.

Vs Citys list of 4 quality wingers. We have depth but its not as good a squad as Citys

Andersonson

Haha, I still have a bit of faith for Bailly :lol: for his age he's played about half the amount of professional games he should have, he's still got a lot of potential as a CB, with time/experience he has a chance to be starting for us. But yeah I don't think we'll be after a CB this summer so the choice is Bailly or Lindelof, I prefer Bailly personally.
Thats fine :) I dont see it at all myself, but still a nice thought. And I hope you are correct and im wrong.

I just think there's to much flaws in his game.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
out of interest how many 18 year olds have played regular games in central midfield in the premier league for a top team ever?
Wilshere, Fabregas, Gerrard (although he was trash), Oxtail Chambermaid I think, possibly Barkley if Everton count?

Bondi77

It is going to be Matic and Sanchez next season,
Get excited about that!

Cliche Guevara

We're definitely not getting Camavinga. Sancho will stay at Dortmund if we can't offer champions league football
Now more than ever I disagree with the Champions League issue. He’s not going to determine the next fifteen years of a career at United on whether we have specifically CL next season.

Further, do we even know if there’s going to be a Champions League next season and what it’d look like.

Does it make that much difference playing behind closed doors in CL or EL?

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

Short answer to OP, no.

Long answer, maybe in time when we've had more experience long term we will absolutely be better, but immediately absolutely not. Sancho will definitely provide a spark right now though

Rocknrolla69er

Sancho
Camavinga or Partey
Ighalo
Upamenco or Konate

Then id say were closing the gap alot, but thats 4 signings away. With the current situation we arnt signing all the above, 3 at a push but id be very suprised with 4.

Id honestly be happy with Sancho and Ighalo, and then Dm, Cb the next summer, but if we can get rid of some through sales that third signing may happen.

IrishMcD

Sancho
Camavinga or Partey
Ighalo
Upamenco or Konate

Then id say were closing the gap alot, but thats 4 signings away. With the current situation we arnt signing all the above, 3 at a push but id be very suprised with 4.

Id honestly be happy with Sancho and Ighalo, and then Dm, Cb the next summer, but if we can get rid of some through sales that third signing may happen.
Maybe its the cabin fever thats got me in such a negative head space, but i cant see us signing anyone, i think this i going to get a lot more messy before it gets better. Spoke to a doctor friend of mine today who is connected with one of the big clubs, (I know how ITK that sounds and I genuinely wasnt even going to post this, but feck it, it genuinely what she told me today) and she says they are preparing for the likelihood that next season will be played behind closed doors. If thats the case, surely there will be no signings made by anyone, other than maybe Newcastle, City and maybe a few swap deals? Sorry, I realize i sound like a doom and gloom merchant. Apologies.

Rocknrolla69er

Maybe its the cabin fever thats got me in such a negative head space, but i cant see us signing anyone, i think this i going to get a lot more messy before it gets better. Spoke to a doctor friend of mine today who is connected with one of the big clubs, (I know how ITK that sounds and I genuinely wasnt even going to post this, but feck it, it genuinely what she told me today) and she says they are preparing for the likelihood that next season will be played behind closed doors. If thats the case, surely there will be no signings made by anyone, other than maybe Newcastle, City and maybe a few swap deals? Sorry, I realize i sound like a doom and gloom merchant. Apologies.
Its hard to stay positive when all the media and experts paint a negative picture, for me the number of deaths is coming down rapidly, were almost 200 deaths down from this time last week, and i dont speak of those numbers lightly. A couple more weeks and we may be down to double figures.

Il throw this out there, alot of people at my workplace where ill with the exact symptoms just before christmas, ive recently seen a report that in France a blood sample taken showed somebody had it there im december, maybe alot of people have already had it, dealt with the illness and recovered not knowing it was coronavirus. Im pretty convinced this will come to light, and the country wont have to be scared into a lockdown in various forms lasting years

Web of Bissaka

Squad? Overall.. No.
We have better midfield depth than Pool and better gk department than City. That's it.

First 11? No.
That said, we can beat both teams in one-on-one matches, but not winning league.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Camavinga being a better footballer currently. That doesn't take anything away from Matic playing well for us since Feburary. It is a position we're looking to strengthen.
No 17 year old is joining United and starting week in week out

luke511

You laughed at someone and said he would start over Matic. He wouldn't
Thats not me saying he'd be starting week in week out, which he's managed fine doing for Rennes, but I'd choose him over Matic in a starting line up.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
A think you are right to be optimistic Luke despite the reaction here. Football can move very fast and it is clear that Ole is rebuilding the squad in both quality and mentality. With the continued evolution of Rashford and Martial plus the addition of Pogba and Fernades that is some serious ability. Now if we can add someone like Sancho into the mix then we are laughing and our potential becomes very high. People forget that just a couple of seasons ago Liverpool had a worse squad, poor prospects, and few ideas and yet with a clear direction they have made dramatic strides. We could very well do the same and I think we are on the brink of something special emerging.

edcunited1878

Liverpool and City have players who have consistent output and you know what you're going to get a bare minimum throughout a campaign.

The same cannot be said of Rashford, Martial, James, Sancho, Bruno, Greenwood, Ighalo because they need to take another step or two higher in terms of consistency and having a higher floor.

We all saw this increase in potential and consistency when it came together for Ronaldo and Wazza, but then they were supplemented by such a good squad with some class sprinkled in. Even though United lost the CL tie against AC Milan in 06/07, you really felt and saw that they turned a corner and it was amazing to see them turn that final corner and they took no hostages after that.

This set of players plus a potential Sancho and whoever have to earn that right of passage before our eyes before we can say they are able to surpass the clubs ahead of us.

Anustart89

Are you suggesting that we're two youngsters away from potentially reaching 100+ points?

No.

criticalanalysis

Call me cray but with the additons Ole has made in the summer and with Bruno, I would say we have arguably have the best squad in the league.

I'm talking about the general squad depth, the players' physical, technical abilities and overall upside potential.

The problem and this a big one is that no manager before been able to get the best out of them in a consistent manner.

In a blank state, with the right coach, you could play any style of football with this team and not really worry about not having the right players. Possession, out of defence, low block, high press, counter attacking etc or more devestatingly, a perfect mix of all, which is exactly Fergie's way of playing.

Tarrou

Nah, we're miles off at the moment, a couple of decent signings just gets us a bit closer - assuming they even work out

Isn't that lad like 17 too? Doubt he's improving us that much for a good while

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'd not even heard of Camavinga until 1 minute ago.

But yes, he is the answer to everything. We need him. I'm Invested in this now.

Announce Camavinga.

Madrid. It's off. Typical Woody. Dithering as always.

Muppet heartbreak. That's the last time I get absorbed in silly season.
What a ride I just went on with this. It's like the hyperbolic time chamber of muppetry.

Bwuk

Add Sancho into our side and if everyone can stay fit we've got as strong a starting 11 as anyone in the league.

De Gea
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
McTominay
Bruno - Pogba
Sancho - Martial - Rashford​

On paper that is an excellent side. I'd be extremely disappointed if we didn't close the gap on City and Liverpool if that was our starting 11 next season.

Nick7

Camavinga would simply be rotation for a year or so (I mean, we ain't signing him in the first place). So no he wouldn't improve our first team to the level of league winners. Sancho would improve us a lot in my view, but again not to the level of league/CL winners.

romufc

It seems to that fans think we will sign Sancho. There are about 5 clubs in for him. Real, Barca, Liverpool, City and United.

He could go anywhere, the only thing we can offer is money.

SpyLuke10

no. but if it was partey instead of camavinga, and assuming we kept pogba. we'd be getting pretty darn close.

we are 3-4 top signings away imo. sancho and a top DM are the 2 most crucial of those 3-4 signings. the other 1-2 signings would be a striker (backup like Ighalo perhaps) and a centre back.

SpyLuke10

It seems to that fans think we will sign Sancho. There are about 5 clubs in for him. Real, Barca, Liverpool, City and United.

He could go anywhere, the only thing we can offer is money.
doesnt seem like city and liverpool are in for him at all. and barca cant afford him. real madrid would prefer to sign mbappe i'd imagine, but they might target sancho.

aside from money, united can offer a player the project, and an exciting one at that. there are now the foundations for our team to become great once again. united has a huge fanbase, so coming here would be massive for sancho's personal brand (getting the #7 shirt potentially) and popularity. playing at the famous old trafford, a club with a rich history. one thats also in england as well, so sancho would be closer to home here. anyway, there are plenty of reasons. most of all, united have shown the most desire to actually sign sancho. he is most wanted by us, not barca or city, etc. at united sancho has the opportunity to be the face of a massive football club. he wouldnt be that at any of those other clubs.