With Sancho & Camavinga in, do we soon surpass Liverpool & City's squad?

luke511

This is pure muppet talk, but I feel like these two attainable signings, who are on our radar, would set the club up for major success over the next 5-10 years, we'd be sorted for a decade of great talent all round. The investment in the two players today would definitely pay itself back in future years, a risk free bet in my eyes. Our potential line up with them included:

Strongest XI

Rashford - Martial/Greenwood - Sancho

Pogba - Bruno
Camavinga

Shaw - Maguire - Bailly - AWB

Squad

LW: Rashford, Sancho, James, Martial
CF: Martial, Greenwood
RW: Sancho, James

CAM: Bruno, Pogba
CM: Pogba, Fred, McTominay, Bruno
CDM: Camavinga, McTominay, Fred

LB: Shaw, Williams
CB: Maguire, Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe
RB: Wan Bissaka, Baird

GK: De Gea, Romero, Henderson

With talents like Garner, Mejri & Hoogewerf coming through as well.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Consistently singing players with a very high ceiling would be a massive step in the right direction. It’s not totally foolproof though. Every signing carries a certain amount of risk. I also don’t think you need to spend 50 million on nearly every player in the first 11. I’m sure we could find a very capable DM for much less than Camavinga would cost but if we can afford it and he wants to come then sure why not! If I’d to pick matic or Camavinga to be starting for us next season I’d go with the youngster and let him grow. Hopefully the team would be strong enough to carry a player or 2 while they settle in

UpWithRivers

here comes 50 posts saying we need a left back, a CB, a new goalkeeper, attacking fullbacks, a striker and a new manager...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don't think Sancho and a 17 year old who has played half a season for Rennes is going to walk into our team and help us make up 40 points, no.

Silly thread to be honest, no disrespect.

luke511

I don't think a 17 year old is going to walk into our team and help us make up 40 points, no.

Maybe not but Pogba, Bruno, Sancho AND a 17 year old defensive mid wonderkid playing together in the same starting XI probably would help us a little bit..

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe not but Pogba, Bruno, Sancho AND a 17 year old defensive wonderkid playing together in the same starting XI probably would help us a little bit..
I think we need a lot more. The young lad wouldn't even start over Matic right now. So it would basically just be Sancho, which would be a very good signing. 3rd would be our ceiling.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think expecting camavinga to move to a new country and get used to the premier league over what might be only a few weeks summer break and be in our strongest XI and be integral in closing a 40 point gap is at best optimistic

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
No because they're still lightyears ahead of us. We'd make Top 3 though and that'd be nice.

Plus, and no Solskjaer bashing intended, players run through walls for Pep and Klopp. They're a huge reason they're doing so well.

Plus plus, it's quite clear a good squad won't necessarily win you a title. We all know that Fergie got the best out of decent-but-unspectacular players and that's largely why we won so many titles - great players mixed with great attitudes. Very short memories on anybody who doesn't remember that.

God this sounds like Solskjaer bashing, doesn't it.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Henderson
Laird - Maguire - De Ligt - Williams
Camavinga - Tonali - Bellingham
Sancho - Greenwood - Rashford​

Next year is our year.

IrishMcD

Camavinga won't be coming here, not a hope of it, but for arguments sake let's say he does. With him and Sancho in, Pogba staying and Bruno in from the start of a season, I think we would cement third and close the gap on the top two. Or we should in theory. Camavinga, despite only being 17 is superb, and would make a massive impact.
Let's not kid ourselves though, we still need a quality partner for Maguire and a left back (just my opinion, feel Shaw is way short of the standard needed over a full season).

luke511

I think expecting camavinga to move to a new country and get used to the premier league over what might be only a few weeks summer break and be in our strongest XI and be integral in closing a 40 point gap is at best optimistic
He might not jump into the starting XI straight away but he's statistically one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe.. So I think he'd definitely contribute to closing the gap between us and the top of the league once he finds his feet, which I don't think will take long to say how good a player he is already.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Maybe in a few years when our youngsters begin to peak and their teams finish their cycle, again that's assuming players achieve their potential and would rely on our investments to be better than City's and Liverpool's. One thing that works in our favour is that Guardiola and Klopp will likely be coming to their end of their time at each club. City spent something like a decade preparing for Guardiola's arrival so it'll be interesting to see what's next for them. While people are fawning over Liverpool's owners, while they have done well, it's really hard to deny that most of their success is down to Klopp. If you just look at a few of things he was able to accomplish, he's the one who was able to adapt to Coutinho being sold, missing out on Brandt and getting in Salah and turning him into one of the best wingers on the planet, developing the similarly inconsistent Mane and helping him flourish, refusing to take any CB other than Van Dijk and most notably turning a youth midfielder into arguably the best RB on the planet, they'll struggle a lot when he goes.

It's worth noting that Chelsea and Arsenal have some really, really talented young players and both teams seem to be interested in the right players, like Arsenal with Partey for example. Their teams' future peaks will likely coincide with our own. Arsenal have the most work to do in that regard but I'm of the opinion they aren't as far away as some might think. I think Chelsea are going to be a real force in the coming seasons.
here comes 50 posts saying we need a left back, a CB, a new goalkeeper, attacking fullbacks, a striker and a new manager...
I mean, there's nothing wrong with suggesting we need a new LB due to Shaw's endless injury issues and a CB because outside of Maguire none of the other lads are particularly outstanding, either due to injuriy records, quality or both.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He might not jump into the starting XI straight away but he's statistically one of the best defensive midfielders in Europe.. So I think he'd definitely contribute to closing the gap between us and the top of the league once he finds his feet, which I don't think will take long to say how good a player he is already.
out of interest how many 18 year olds have played regular games in central midfield in the premier league for a top team ever?

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I don't think Sancho and a 17 year old who has played half a season for Rennes is going to walk into our team and help us make up 40 points, no.

I think we would be close to or around 80-90 points with that squad. But do remember, it is not just Sancho and Camavinga added. It is also Bruno and Pogba. And hopefully Martial and Rashford playing together a bit more.

You could maybe even add that Fred and McT is different players today that last august. At that point in time, neither where established PL midfielders. They are today.

luke511

Camavinga won't be coming here, not a hope of it, but for arguments sake let's say he does. With him and Sancho in, Pogba staying and Bruno in from the start of a season, I think we would cement third and close the gap on the top two. Or we should in theory. Camavinga, despite only being 17 is superb, and would make a massive impact.
Let's not kid ourselves though, we still need a quality partner for Maguire and a left back (just my opinion, feel Shaw is way short of the standard needed over a full season).
Shaw's been class recently and Williams still has great talent so I don't think we don't need a new left back. Camavinga's idol is Pogba so he'd be after the opportunity to play alongside him, we'd stand a chance if we went after him :cool:

luke511

out of interest how many 18 year olds have played regular games in central midfield in the premier league for a top team ever?
Fabregas springs to mind, watch some of Rennes' games and then make a decision whether he'd be able to make an impact for us with Pogba and Bruno in front of him.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Would improve our starting 11 considerably with Pogba being back too, however, our squad would still be weak. One injury to Sancho and we are back with Dan James in the 11, one injury to Rashford and who plays LW etc etc

So to answer the question, no our we wouldn't even equal their squads let alone surpass it.

RyRy11

I know we are all bored to death but are these Threads really worth it? We can insert any two names and have a discussion, just seems pointless until they have signed.

luke511

I know we are all bored to death but are these Threads really worth it? We can insert any two names and have a discussion, just seems pointless until they have signed.
I am bored to death and the thread's a bit pointless you're right, but it's fun to speculate. One of the players we're strongly linked with and the other we have a close eye on too so it's fair to say they're realistic targets.

luke511

Would improve our starting 11 considerably with Pogba being back too, however, our squad would still be weak. One injury to Sancho and we are back with Dan James in the 11, one injury to Rashford and who plays LW etc etc

So to answer the question, no our we wouldn't even equal their squads let alone surpass it.
Greenwood and James is adequate cover at RW, Rashford gets injured and Sancho or Martial can fill in at that position too, we'd be sorted for depth across our front 3. Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho has crazy potential, we'd easily equal them with the likes of Bruno and Pogba feeding them in.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself

To be fair, i don't think we need to make up 40 points. The season Liverpool were having won't be repeated. It will likely be back to a 90-ish point target to win the league and I fully expect us to at least be competing even without these signings. We can compete with the top. Our biggest problem was beating the shite teams. Now with Bruno on board I don't think that will be as much of a problem...

luke511

Why is Bailly suddenly a starting CB?

Are all the others injured?
Haha, I still have a bit of faith for Bailly :lol: for his age he's played about half the amount of professional games he should have, he's still got a lot of potential as a CB, with time/experience he has a chance to be starting for us. But yeah I don't think we'll be after a CB this summer so the choice is Bailly or Lindelof, I prefer Bailly personally.

E-mal

I think we need a lot more. The young lad wouldn't even start over Matic right now. So it would basically just be Sancho, which would be a very good signing. 3rd would be our ceiling.
We've missed Pogba the whole season and Bruno just joined. Surely we a relationship alot closer but I agree we might still be third.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd not even heard of Camavinga until 1 minute ago.

But yes, he is the answer to everything. We need him. I'm Invested in this now.

Announce Camavinga.

Madrid. It's off. Typical Woody. Dithering as always.

Muppet heartbreak. That's the last time I get absorbed in silly season.

Nickelodeon

:lol: :lol: :lol:

He would start over Matic.
Matic has been excellent since his return to the side and has been pivotal in us keeping 9 cleansheets in our last 11 games. Probably deserves a bit more respect than being considered significantly inferior than a 17 year old, as talented as he might be.

And frankly, we can add 5 more quality players, but till the time we show signs on the pitch that our squad is capable of mounting a title challenge, it is impossible to say that we can surpass Liverpool and City.