Kick-off
Sat, 16 March 2019 @ 7:55pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 82 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ..........VS..........

Date - Saturday, 16th March 2019
    Kickoff Time - 1955 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton

FA Cup form guide

Manchester United: WWW
    Wolverhampton Wanderers: WDWW

Previous Meetings in the FA Cup

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0—3 Manchester United

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1—0 Manchester United

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2—4 Manchester United

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 4
    Wolverhampton Wanderers wins: 2
    Draws: 2

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Nuno Espírito Santo

Team News

Manchester United

Matteo Darmian, Jesse Lingard, Juan Mata, Antonio Valencia and Alexis Sánchez ruled out. Phil Jones and Ander Herrera doubtful. Ashley Young suspended.

Wolverhampton Wanderers

No missing players.

Know the opposition

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, commonly known as Wolves or The Wanderers, is an English professional football club based in the city of Wolverhampton in the West Midlands. The club were founded as St. Luke's in 1877 by John Baynton and John Brodie, after a group of pupils at St Luke's Church school in Blakenhall had been presented with a football by their headmaster Harry Barcroft. Two years later, they merged with local cricket and football club The Wanderers, to form Wolverhampton Wanderers. The club then became one of the twelve founders of the English Football League in 1888 and finished the inaugural season in a creditable third place, as well as reaching their first ever FA Cup Final, losing 3–0 to the first Double winners, Preston North End.

The club spent 33 years in the top flight from 1932 to 1965, their longest continuous period at that level (albeit league football was in hiatus from 1939 to 1946 due to World War II). During the 1950s, the club was English league champions three times (1953–54, 1957–58 & 1958–59), whilst under the management of Stan Cullis. Wolves has also finished runners-up in the league on five occasions (most recently in 1959–60) and in third place on a further six occasions (most recently in 1960–61). On the domestic cup front, they have won the FA Cup four times, most recently in 1960, and has finished runners-up on a further four occasions, and the Football League Cup twice, in 1974 and 1980.

Wolves have long-standing rivalries with other West Midlands clubs; the main one is with West Bromwich Albion, against whom they contest the Black Country derby and with whom Wolves has played more league fixtures (146) than any other football opponent, even though the two clubs have not met in a league fixture since 2011–12 (the last season they competed in the same division as each other). Wolves also share rivalries with the two Birmingham clubs, Aston Villa and Birmingham City, though they are much further away than West Bromwich. They play their homes games at the Molineux Stadium, the first stadium ever built for use by a Football League club and one of the first British grounds to have floodlights installed and it hosted some of the earliest European club games in the 1950s.

Referee

Martin Atkinson.

Familiar Faces

N/A​

Cockney Phil

Irritating because Spurs were there for the taking but after five weeks of heavy footy we knew it would be hard.

We never looked sharp and some players were well off the pace. The enigma missed a hat full of chances after his change of position, proving the confidence of his stats as a poor performer against top sides. Rashford should have been rested and then brought on rather than play from kick off. I would have gone McT and bring on Pogba to recalibrate the team from the Paris squad.

Not at all worried, we were still the better side and I thought we would win.

No doubt the Sky bums will point fingers and say we’re in decline and Arse will be 3rd!:lol:

Ole for the job!

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
    Irritating because Spurs were there for the taking but after five weeks of heavy footy we knew it would be hard.

We never looked sharp and some players were well off the pace. The enigma missed a hat full of chances after his change of position, proving the confidence of his stats as a poor performer against top sides. Rashford should have been rested and then brought on rather than play from kick off. I would have gone McT and bring on Pogba to recalibrate the team from the Paris squad.

No doubt the Sky bums will point fingers and say we’re in decline and Arse will be 3rd!:lol:

Ole for the job!
    No doubt at all.

Ban

Ole for the job!
    What about the Wolves though?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Win this and he’ll be made permanent during the international break. Not sure the club will announce it after a couple of negative results, which isn’t to say he wouldn’t get it eventually.

el3mel

Gonna be pretty hard game. Really can't miss our chances if we want to progress.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Where's the usual post with the club badges,KO times,place etc?

Irwin99

Really hope we can bounce back with this as I think we have a very good chance of winning this trophy. Hopefully we can play at a higher intensity than we did against Arsenal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Herrera will hopefully be back, can play our strongest 11 here. Will be another tough game but I think we'll be much more motivated to bounce back with a win and I think we'll get it.
    De Gea
    Young Smalling Lindelof Shaw
    Matic
    Herrera Pogba
    Lukaku Rashford Martial​

Moriarty

Last time we played Wolves in the 6th Round at Molineux was in 1976 after a draw at home. We were losing 0-2 and came back to win 3-2. That was a brilliant night, staggering home at 1 a.m with an early lecture to go to in the morning.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout
    A home team more comfortable on the counter faces an away team who are more comfortable on the counter.

I think we'll bounce back from the Arsenal loss with a win here, especially since Martial is ready to start. Ole's got this.

izec

Lose and we start to fade out of the top 4. Huge game
    it is an FA cup game. I wouldnt give a shit if we lose to be honest, our squad isnt good enough to be playing in 3 competitons til the end. Premier League and CL is enough. Depending on the draw in the CL, we could progress to the semis. Top 4 is wide open and a fierce battle. Dont care about the FA cup at this point.

Irrational.

A hard game.

Maybe we should take a leaf out of Liverpool's book and throw this in the same way they did, so we can prioritise getting fourth and going as far as possible in the CL.

Alabaster Codify7

----------------Romero---------------------
    Young---Smalling---Lindelöf---------Shaw
    ----------------Matic---------------------
    --------Fred--------------Pogba----------
    Lukaku---------Rashford----------Martial

SUBS - Dalot (Fred), McTominay (Matic), Greenwood (Rashford)

Wolves 1 - 2 Man United
    Pogba and Martial for us. Narrow win, close game, but not particularly entertaining.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
    If we become complacent we can easily loose this game. However, the lost at Arsenal should ensue we don’t.

Romero
    Young - Linderlof - Smalling - Shaw
    McTominay
    Fred - Pogba
    Rashford/Chong - Lukaku - Martial

Last edited:

Castia

Rashford needs resting that's all I know.

McTominay in for Matic too.

Web of Bissaka

Need a strong response from our players.

It's FA Cup and vs Wolves, so Romero to play.

Likely Dalot to start back as RB, and Bailly to start.

Rashford, Lindelof and Shaw will maybe get rested on the bench.

Romero
    Dalot -- Bailly -- Smalling -- Young
    McTominay
    Herrera -- Pogba
    Pereira -- Lukaku -- Martial​

Hughie77

We need Herrera back? I think we got enough to get through that tie.

Inigo Montoya

We need Herrera back? I think we got enough to get through that tie.
    They have a system and stick to it pretty rigidly. Herrera may not be match fit, a few minutes though..

Stop Neves dictating the game,passing to Jimenez and we should present them with more problems.

Inigo Montoya

Rashford on the bench please. He's being rubbish for some games now.
    Given that our most highly paid striker has been injured and shit,Our other skilful forward has been injured,Lukaku just hitting form...I'd say he's been fecking brilliant,still leading the line and giving everything

Trizy

Our worst possible draw after City. They're a great team and have beaten or drawn with the top 6 all season.

Hard game to get bounce back from our loss today but I'd back us, 2-1.

0le

Martial will be fitter after some minutes today as will Matic. A five day rest will really help the players too. I really think we'll win this.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    God, this will be tough.

I think Rashford needs a rest. Put him on the bench. Start Lukaku and Martial.

BlueHaze

Our worst possible draw after City. They're a great team and have beaten or drawn with the top 6 all season.

Hard game to get bounce back from our loss today but I'd back us, 2-1.
    I agree. Nuno has turned them into a proper side. It's going to be a very tough game and we still have to play the feckers away in the league as well which concerns me even more.

Wolves shift between looking like a solid PL side and then looking like a Championship one.
    We just have to hope its the later on this occasion and the hype and responsibility of being this far in the FA Cup gets too them mentally.

the hea

The only thing I want from Ole for this game is that he gives Rashford a rest. He has played through injury and despite not being 100% fit for weeks now covering for all our other injured players. Give the guy a couple of weeks rest and he will be back firing on all cylinders again.

FootballHQ

Supports
    Aston Villa
    Wolves record has been amazing v top teams this season.

Very tough and tight game, would normally say replay at Old Trafford but they've scrapped those now.

Can see it going to extra time anyway.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win