Kick-off
Mon, 19 August 2019 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 77 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Crashoutcassius

To be fair to lingard, the last time we played them they controlled the ball in centre mid and it feels very different this time. Could argue that is his influence, sitting on mourinho

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
    Scout
    I don't really think that anyone deserves abuse, some players are far from perfect Lingard and James are two of them. If Lingard repeats the type of movements that he did on the goal then we will all be happy.

King Andow

Some very harsh criticism of Lingard on here. He's not the most creative but he gives everybody an option and strings everything together nicely.

Lindalof is the only player who's not had a great game so far.
    Meaning: He's on the pitch and passes backwards and sideways.

Stepney73

Good first half and martial should have put the game to bed with one of his two missed chances.(I just hope it doesn't come back to bite us)

The team are basically doing what wolves did to us last season with attitude and work rate.

Finally having a proper RB and top CB has given us solid foundations for the rebuild no matter how this game pans out.

Anustart89

I am not happy . If we could merge Lingards pressing and energy with mata's ability on the ball then we would be swimming. With that said i can understand why the manager would opt for less ability on the ball and have better ability to retrieve it and give it to the better players on it.
    Fair enough. Disagree strongly though. Wolves were always going to come out with a low block and go for counters. I'm not a fan of current Mata but given the way the game was likely to go I'd definitely have picked him over Lingard for his ability to thread through balls in behind.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    I really struggle to see how Lingard at 10 is 'refreshing'. The only thing refreshing about him is that he is rewriting the notion that the key technical players play there. Cloggers that run around like headless chickens but do nothing on the ball can be the key part of the attack too. How marvelous.
    It's refreshing because he's linking up play, switching positions when required, winning the ball and generally doing more than a "I'm a number 10 so all I do is create" job. He's been very good so far.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
    I really struggle to see how Lingard at 10 is 'refreshing'. The only thing refreshing about him is that he is rewriting the notion that the key technical players play there. Cloggers that run around like headless chickens but do nothing on the ball can be the key part of the attack too. How marvelous.
    Mate, there's a huge difference between running around like a headless chicken, and pressing effectively at the right time. He's creating a huge amount of space for Rashford and Martial. He was also heavily involved in our goal. Not every attacking midfielder is a Riquelme type.

GiddyUp

I miss Lukaku
    sarcasm
    You can watch him once Inter get him off Twitter and on a diet. After all the shit I give Pogba, and he deserves a lot of it, Lukaku has been the biggest cnut to walk through the doors of this club in a long time.

JTW95

Gullible sausage
    I dont remember Adama being that jacked last time I saw him :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    Dont like James at all, needs to offer more other than pace.
    I am thinking the same. And fun part is that he is not using that pace in attack that much. Maybe when we will play on counter attacks so to put him in in last 10 minutes...

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
    Really think Pereira should have started this game. Playing James in a match where we were guaranteed to dominate possession doesn't make much sense to me. Wolves are solid and keep their shape well, we're not going to be playing fast counter attacking football or pressing a lot.

Now that we've got the goal the game will hopefully open up a lot more for James though.

fps

To be fair to lingard, the last time we played them they controlled the ball in centre mid and it feels very different this time. Could argue that is his influence, sitting on mourinho
    We've all wanted to sit on Mourinho at some point or other.

Substitution for Wolverhampton Wanderers

Half-time sub. Traore for Doherty. The Wolves defender looked to be struggling with injury.

OohAahMartial

I am loving having James and AWB on the right wing instead of Mata and Young, what a difference it makes. That side it clamped shut, and James's pressing is phenomenal. Really enjoying this new pressing style, Wolves just cannot cope with it. Dominated. And now we have the first goal they will fall into our counter-attack trap.

Second-half kick-off

stu_1992

Not many chances but I'm very happy with that half. Controlled the game well. Not looked threatened. Great goal. We were patient and got our opportunity and took it. If we can see this game out it would be a massive lift for this team considering last seasons results. I expect Wolves to come at us more this half so hopefully we see the benefits of our new (hopefully more solid defence).

Tony247

Star of the game is AWB so far. Right side is completely shut, and his passing is good too, picking up right players.

Excellent game lad. Keep it up.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
    Christ almighty who’s that Wolves player they've brought on?! Akinfenwa’s little brother?

Guy’s an absolute unit

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
    Meaning: He's on the pitch and passes backwards and sideways.
    It's not quite that simple though is it. He keeps possession and other players can run off him, which is exactly what you need against sides like Wolves who sit deep and defend.

SlimDizzle075

Good, commanding half.

Pros -

Martial and Rashford look good as a pair
    Maguire is a Rolls Royce Defender
    Wan Bissaka is a ball Hoover
    De Gea might as well be sitting beside me

Cons -

Pogba hospital passes. Looks frustrated
    Not much creativity
    Dan James just seems fast?
    Jesse Lingard might as well be sitting beside me....

James off for Greenwood. I’d say Lingard for Pereira too but I am cautious because Jesse is at least good at the press, regardless of how shit he is playing.
    How about we don't do any stupid knee jerk stuff and play on instead?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
    Totally. He looks very, very anxious. Even his goal last week was nervy as hell, the way he hit it. I think that's just his personality.

It looks as though Ole has told him to bomb down the right and to try to win freekicks. But I think he's taken the instruction too literally. After that he got booked, he got even more nervous snatching at things.

Solskjaer needs to calm him down and tell him to play his natural game. If he can, he'll settle down and be fine in the second half. To be fair, it looks as though that's already beginning to happen.
    He may not be ready to become a regular starter yet as he doesn't seem overly confident in taking on his man. Think he'd make for a great impact sub though.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
    They're bringing on Traore, which could mean a change in system, although he's played as RWB during preseason. Be an interesting battle between him and Shaw. If he gets caught going forward too much our counter could be devastating.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 613 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw