Kick-off
Mon, 19 August 2019 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 77 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    .........VS..........

Date - Monday, 19th August 2019
    Kickoff Time - 2000 Hrs BST
    Venue - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton

League standings and form guide

2. Manchester United: W

10. Wolverhampton Wanderers: D

Previous Meetings

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0—5 Manchester United

Manchester United 4—1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2—1 Manchester United

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 42
    Wolverhampton Wanderers wins: 33
    Draws: 14

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Nuno Espírito Santo

Team News

Manchester United

Alexis Sánchez and Eric Bailly ruled out.

Wolverhampton Wanderers

No missing players.

Know the opposition

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, commonly known as Wolves or The Wanderers, is an English professional football club based in the city of Wolverhampton in the West Midlands. The club were founded as St. Luke's in 1877 by John Baynton and John Brodie, after a group of pupils at St Luke's Church school in Blakenhall had been presented with a football by their headmaster Harry Barcroft. Two years later, they merged with local cricket and football club The Wanderers, to form Wolverhampton Wanderers. The club then became one of the twelve founders of the English Football League in 1888 and finished the inaugural season in a creditable third place, as well as reaching their first ever FA Cup Final, losing 3–0 to the first Double winners, Preston North End.

The club spent 33 years in the top flight from 1932 to 1965, their longest continuous period at that level (albeit league football was in hiatus from 1939 to 1946 due to World War II). During the 1950s, the club was English league champions three times (1953–54, 1957–58 & 1958–59), whilst under the management of Stan Cullis. Wolves has also finished runners-up in the league on five occasions (most recently in 1959–60) and in third place on a further six occasions (most recently in 1960–61). On the domestic cup front, they have won the FA Cup four times, most recently in 1960, and has finished runners-up on a further four occasions, and the Football League Cup twice, in 1974 and 1980.

Wolves have long-standing rivalries with other West Midlands clubs; the main one is with West Bromwich Albion, against whom they contest the Black Country derby and with whom Wolves has played more league fixtures (146) than any other football opponent, even though the two clubs have not met in a league fixture since 2011–12 (the last season they competed in the same division as each other). Wolves also share rivalries with the two Birmingham clubs, Aston Villa and Birmingham City, though they are much further away than West Bromwich. They play their homes games at the Molineux Stadium, the first stadium ever built for use by a Football League club and one of the first British grounds to have floodlights installed and it hosted some of the earliest European club games in the 1950s.

Referee

Jonathan Moss.

Familiar Faces

N/A​

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Chelsea had a transfer ban and lost their best player in the summer. This will be Ole's first real test.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
    Wolves away is rough but I think Utd will win nevertheless. 1-2.

Wheato

They caught us cold last season. Our teams fitness was running out and we had injuries. You could also bring into question our desire to beat Wolves. I hope that they all remember those defeats and use it as motivation. We need to match their work rate this time round. We are much more dangerous going forward, and now with a solid defense, we won't be torn apart so easily. Midfield is the area where the battle will be won. We just need to dominate them through pure grit.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

-------------De Gea-------------
    AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
    ---McTominay---Pogba---
    James------Lingard------Rashford
    -------------Martial-------------

Subs: Romero, Tuanzebe, Young, Matic, Andreas, Mata, Greenwood

I didn't like Andreas today, either on the wing or as number 10 so I'd bring James into this one. To loose to these lot 3 times in 2019 would be embarrassing to say the least

Raw

This is going to be tough, though they have a Europa League game on Thursday that might tire them out but we shouldn't rely on that. Plus they won the first leg 4-0 so they won't need to worry too much.

There was one of the games last season against Wolves away where we actually did really well but missed shit loads of chances, then they scored and we were done. Hope we can actually put away the chances now.

Mcking

We've got to move the ball a lot faster in this one as Wolves are lethal on the counter. The amount of times Pogba and McTominay got caught on the ball against Chelsea was insane.
    I think James should come in for Pereira.

gajender

I believe it would be a professional and clinical performance by us and contrary to popular belief on cafe it would be quite comfortable outing for United with us getting all 3 points without much problem this time around.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Expect a tougher game than Chelsea of course. Not because I think Wolves are necessarily going to be better than Chelsea over the course of this season, but Wolves are at home, will be fitter having played competitive football for a couple of weeks and have Jimenez & Jota in attack. If we give away the kind of chances we gave to Chelsea in the first half, Wolves will score.

Still, I'll go with a 1-2 victory for us. We need to find that right midfield balance and keep picking the right moments and passes in counter attacks like the second half against Chelsea. Very similar line-up.

Blatzo

Let's get these cnuts smashed.

If we're going to return to former glory we need to return to the days of teams fearing us rather than us bricking it about playing Wolves away.

I know they're good... but we're Manchester United :devil:

El Zoido

This will be a tougher game than Chelsea. Really hope we do these this time.

ManRed

Tough game with Wolves at home as well. But we should be beating such sides if we want to be top team again.

Expect Lingard and Martial to score 0-2 to United.

Classical Mechanic

Expect a tougher game than Chelsea of course. Not because I think Wolves are necessarily going to be better than Chelsea over the course of this season, but Wolves are at home, will be fitter having played competitive football for a couple of weeks and have Jimenez & Jota in attack. If we give away the kind of chances we gave to Chelsea in the first half, Wolves will score.

Still, I'll go with a 1-2 victory for us. We need to find that right midfield balance and keep picking the right moments and passes in counter attacks like the second half against Chelsea. Very similar line-up.
    Also Wolves play a compact cagey style which won't afford us the counter attacking opportunities that we had today.

Lynty

Wolves and Leicester lacked quality today. In fact Wolves midfield was static.

We'll have them

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
    Midfield need to pressure the ball better than we did today. It seems like everyone in the Wolves squad can ping one form 30 yards. Probably even Nuno, and he was a keeper.

BlueHaze

We need to avenge the two away defeats from last season. Honestly I'd take even a point. Hope we win but I could also see a loss coming here.

el3mel

Pretty tough game this, though it's better to face them earlier in the same. We need to repay them for the last 2 losses in the row.

Even though I wan't impressed with Periera I'll keep the same lineup unchanged for this. Let the players understand each other more. No need to rotate now.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    That didnt take long XD

Every thread Oles first real test will be against the new opponent, culminating against Man City at Ethiad. Or no, Liverpool at Anfield. Or no, Liverpool AND Arsenal vs Poga and Dea Gea in a 22 v 2 deathmatch.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
    Supports
    Ashwood City FC
    Tough game with Wolves at home as well. But we should be beating such sides if we want to be top team again.

Expect Lingard and Martial to score 0-2 to United.
    You expect or you're guessing?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    Is Fred available for this game? Would like him to get starts asap to see where he is at.

Really need him to step up and make a position his won this season.

Brightonian

These'll be a tougher opponent than Chelsea, strange as that is to say. Brilliant last season and they've made some stellar signings.

We'll want to have more in midfield than we did today. Could try Fred instead of Pereira but there's no guarantee he'd be any less shaky at the moment. I'd be seriously tempted to just throw Gomes straight in at the deep end. If you want more control of the ball but still want to be able to spring sharp counter-attacks, why not?

Despite the fantastic start I already miss Herrera. If we'd kept hold of him I really don't think the moaning about our midfield would have much justification, but we've sold one of our most reliable players and not brought in any kind of replacement.

luke511

Wolves royally fecked our run under Solskjaer last year, they beat us in the league and then in the FA Cup, killed our momentum completely. Let's hope it's third time lucky.

Denis79

Didn't watch their game vs Leicester, any know how they were?

Lynty

Didn't watch their game vs Leicester, any know how they were?
    Both teams were poor.

Wolves lacked movement in midfield and lacked the quality to implement their direct style of attacking.

People who are saying it'll be a tougher game than Chelsea haven't watched Wolves since we last played.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
    Don’t they play the second leg of the Europa a few days before? I know they’re basically through and can make a lot of changes but it’s still a distraction.

Please can we win this? I can’t take my wife’s family taking the piss for a third time!

AJ10

Last time we played these lot, We missed 3 fecking chances from 5 yards. Hopefully this time we take our chances.

Irrational.

Let's batter these twats. They mugged us off a couple of times last season. They're such an annoying team to play against. Hopefully we'll have learnt lessons from last season.

Denis79

Both teams were poor.

Wolves lacked movement in midfield and lacked the quality to implement their direct style of attacking.

People who are saying it'll be a tougher game than Chelsea haven't watched Wolves since we last played.
    They still compact in defence like last season? They used to start a back 3 but always ended up with 5 defenders.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 613 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw