Kick-off
Sat, 4 January 2020 @ 5:31pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    VS..........

Date - Saturday, 4th January 2020

Kickoff Time - 1731 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton

FA Cup form guide

Manchester United:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers:

Previous Meetings in the FA Cup

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2—1 Manchester United

Wolverhampton Wanderers 0—3 Manchester United

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1—0 Manchester United

All-Time FA Cup Record

Manchester United wins: 4
    Wolverhampton Wanderers wins: 3
    Draws: 2

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Nuno Espírito Santo

Team News

Manchester United

Eric Bailly, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Scott McTominay, Paul Pogba and Marcos Rojo ruled out. Diogo Dalot doubtful.

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Willy Boly and Morgan Gibbs-White ruled out.

Know the opposition

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, commonly known as Wolves or The Wanderers, is an English professional football club based in the city of Wolverhampton in the West Midlands. The club were founded as St. Luke's in 1877 by John Baynton and John Brodie, after a group of pupils at St Luke's Church school in Blakenhall had been presented with a football by their headmaster Harry Barcroft. Two years later, they merged with local cricket and football club The Wanderers, to form Wolverhampton Wanderers. The club then became one of the twelve founders of the English Football League in 1888 and finished the inaugural season in a creditable third place, as well as reaching their first ever FA Cup Final, losing 3–0 to the first Double winners, Preston North End.

The club spent 33 years in the top flight from 1932 to 1965, their longest continuous period at that level (albeit league football was in hiatus from 1939 to 1946 due to World War II). During the 1950s, the club was English league champions three times (1953–54, 1957–58 & 1958–59), whilst under the management of Stan Cullis. Wolves has also finished runners-up in the league on five occasions (most recently in 1959–60) and in third place on a further six occasions (most recently in 1960–61). On the domestic cup front, they have won the FA Cup four times, most recently in 1960, and has finished runners-up on a further four occasions, and the Football League Cup twice, in 1974 and 1980.

Wolves have long-standing rivalries with other West Midlands clubs; the main one is with West Bromwich Albion, against whom they contest the Black Country derby and with whom Wolves has played more league fixtures (146) than any other football opponent, even though the two clubs have not met in a league fixture since 2011–12 (the last season they competed in the same division as each other). Wolves also share rivalries with the two Birmingham clubs, Aston Villa and Birmingham City, though they are much further away than West Bromwich. They play their homes games at the Molineux Stadium, the first stadium ever built for use by a Football League club and one of the first British grounds to have floodlights installed and it hosted some of the earliest European club games in the 1950s.

Referee

Paul Tierney.

Familiar Faces

N/A​

DRM

Wolves away?? Oh we gonna get smashed

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Please do not let this go to a replay! None of STHs want to have to deal with a midweek replay with 10 days notice to sort it!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Please do not let this go to a replay! None of STHs want to have to deal with a midweek replay with 10 days notice to sort it!
    I can make the replay so would be delighted to avoid defeat and take it back home.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    We went away to Wolves last season having just lost 2-0 to Arsenal and served up an absolute shite show. I can see the same happening again.

Thiagoal

Play the kids we have so many games piling up I for one don’t care about the FA Cup this season and we’re another injury or two away from apocalypse

peridigm

We went away to Wolves last season having just lost 2-0 to Arsenal and served up an absolute shite show. I can see the same happening again.
    Today will be the beginning of many losses this month with Wolves, City, and Liverpool coming up.

Gerald G

Romero
    Young - Lindelof - Maguire - Williams
    Garner - Matic
    Greenwood - Pereira - Gomes
    Martial​

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Haven't got a deep enough squad for 3 competitions let alone 4. Play the kids. FA Cup can be let go this season. Just don't have enough options.

Bwuk

Just rotate. We don’t have the depth.

Romero
    Young - Maguire - Tuanzebe - Williams
    Garner - Matic
    Andreas
    Chong - Greenwood - Rashford​

King Andow

---------------Romero
    Laird--Taylor--Mengi--Williams
    -------------Galbraith
    Dalot--Puigmal-Gomes--Chong
    -------------Greenwood

Kovar, Young, Jones, Traore, Pereira, Elanga, Ramazani

Tuanzebe, Garner and Levitt apparently out.

Last edited:

Zlatattack

I expect Wolves to win comfortably. They're on form and we're woeful at the moment.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
    I live in Wolves (unfortunately), and we haven't beaten them in what, 4 or 5 attempts since they came up? I'm not looking forward to this. They've only just shut up about the last time they beat us. Sad thing is, they don't really see it as a big deal when they do anymore.

RedIan

Wolves will be bang up for this. Will we turn up? Hard to say toss a coin. Tough tough game but sometimes we do turn up and do surprise.

NJM78

Can’t see us winning this but as Ole seems to be bullet proof I can see him getting the win to keep his job.

I already want this season to end. I’m so fecking wound up by this club!

izec

Our boogie opponent. I dont see a win at all, Jota, Traore and Jimenez will dominate us.

Cathy Ferguson

They are a better team than us. Period. Well drilled, hard working and a clear game plan.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    A well coached team greater than the sum of its parts, against a bunch of individuals carelessly thrown together who think tactics are the little mints you get by the till in Tesco. We’re like chalk and cheese.

Amerifan

Wolves lost today against a weak side. We can beat them if our players put in a full shift. We looked gassed today so whether we’ll be rested enough is anyone’s guess.

SAFMUTD

They will counterattack us, they always do against top sides. So if we don’t find a moment of brillance and score first they end up hunting us on a counter.

MsNuno

Supports
    Wolves
    We looked knackered today it was I think the 35th game we've played this season. I can not see us going full strength for this at all be mainly u23s perhaps. We don't have a big enough squad for 3 competitions.

Paul_Scholes18

This feels like we will be beaten. Although we can sometimes raise our games so who knows. Wolves are not that great going forward so if we can get a goal early we might have a chance. Jiminez can be deadly though so whoever plays need to be up for it. I would give Jones a chance here although Ole seem to not rate him anymore.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    No point wasting time on this cup. Absolute least of our priorities. Even if we somehow miraculously win we will be hit by an even tougher draw next round.

Play the same team that played Astana away. Minus Lingard.

Paul_Scholes18

We looked knackered today it was I think the 35th game we've played this season. I can not see us going full strength for this at all be mainly u23s perhaps. We don't have a big enough squad for 3 competitions.
    That would be nice. We don't even have a functional 11 right now so need all help we can get.

Paul_Scholes18

No point wasting time on this cup. Absolute least of our priorities. Even if we somehow miraculously win we will be hit by an even tougher draw next round.

Play the same team that played Astana away. Minus Lingard.
    It sounds like you have Moyes/Ole mentality there not going for the wins.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
    And we continued to spiral into the abyss the remainder of the season.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 208 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw