Kick-off
Sun, 23 May 2021 @ 4:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ...................VS......................

Date - Sunday, 23 May 2021

Kickoff Time - 1600 Hrs BST
    Venue - Molineux Stadium, Wolverhampton

League form guide

2. Manchester United: DWLLD
    12. Wolverhampton Wanderers: LDWLL

Previous Meetings in the League

Manchester United 1—0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Manchester United 0—0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1—1 Manchester United

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—1 Wolverhampton Wanderers

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 43
    Wolverhampton Wanderers wins: 33
    Draws: 17

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Nuno Espírito Santo

Team News

Manchester United

Phil Jones and Harry Maguire ruled out. Anthony Martial, Daniel James, Scott McTominay and Fred doubtful.

Wolverhampton Wanderers

Raúl Jiménez, Pedro Neto, Jonny and Daniel Podence ruled out. Owen Otasowie doubtful.

Know the opposition

Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, commonly known as Wolves or The Wanderers, is an English professional football club based in the city of Wolverhampton in the West Midlands. The club were founded as St. Luke's in 1877 by John Baynton and John Brodie, after a group of pupils at St Luke's Church school in Blakenhall had been presented with a football by their headmaster Harry Barcroft. Two years later, they merged with local cricket and football club The Wanderers, to form Wolverhampton Wanderers. The club then became one of the twelve founders of the English Football League in 1888 and finished the inaugural season in a creditable third place, as well as reaching their first ever FA Cup Final, losing 3–0 to the first Double winners, Preston North End.

The club spent 33 years in the top flight from 1932 to 1965, their longest continuous period at that level (albeit league football was in hiatus from 1939 to 1946 due to World War II). During the 1950s, the club was English league champions three times (1953–54, 1957–58 & 1958–59), whilst under the management of Stan Cullis. Wolves has also finished runners-up in the league on five occasions (most recently in 1959–60) and in third place on a further six occasions (most recently in 1960–61). On the domestic cup front, they have won the FA Cup four times, most recently in 1960, and has finished runners-up on a further four occasions, and the Football League Cup twice, in 1974 and 1980.

Wolves have long-standing rivalries with other West Midlands clubs; the main one is with West Bromwich Albion, against whom they contest the Black Country derby and with whom Wolves has played more league fixtures (146) than any other football opponent, even though the two clubs have not met in a league fixture since 2011–12 (the last season they competed in the same division as each other). Wolves also share rivalries with the two Birmingham clubs, Aston Villa and Birmingham City, though they are much further away than West Bromwich. They play their homes games at the Molineux Stadium, the first stadium ever built for use by a Football League club and one of the first British grounds to have floodlights installed and it hosted some of the earliest European club games in the 1950s.

Referee

Mike Dean.

Familiar Faces

N/A​

paulscholes18

Henderson
    Williams Lindelof Tuanzebe Telles
    VDB Matic
    Amad Mata Elanga
    Rashford

James35

Can't say I'm bothered. The players don't seem to be either. Roll on the Europa and our chance of a trophy. Lose that game and a once promising season will join the list of very shit ones.

Rest Bruno, Cavani and Shaw.

1-1

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

---------------Henderson---------------
    AWB--Bailly--Tuanzebe--Telles
    ----------Fred----------Matic----------
    James----Fernandes----Martial
    ----------------Rashford----------------

Subs: De Gea, Lindelof, Williams, Shaw, McTominay, Pogba, VDB, Cavani, Greenwood

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
    Scout
    Another loss for a spectaluar collapse to the end of the campaign. Players will showboat and coast and lose. The manager will be all smiles at the end of the day.

RedDevilRoshi

Can't say I'm bothered. The players don't seem to be either. Roll on the Europa and our chance of a trophy. Lose that game and a once promising season will join the list of very shit ones.

Rest Bruno, Cavani and Shaw.

1-1
    Knowing Ole, you can’t say you will be shocked if those 3 do start or make an appearance from the bench.

I hope McT is ok though as seen some reports that he went straight down the tunnel when replaced by Rashford

Red_toad

Ole's going to rest a lot of players. I'm not very confident that we can win this game. I imagine we'll have a midfield of Mata, Matic and Donny :nervous:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Henderson
    Williams Bailly Tuanzebe Telles
    VdB Matic
    Amad Mata James
    Martial
    Bailly and Tuanzebe to fight it out for who starts the final, give James and Martial some match fitness, Rashford and Greenwood to fight it out as subs for who starts vs Villarral but most importantly everyone staying fit and being rested who will start or fighting to start (for Bailly and Tuanzebe its more about getting some minutes before the final).

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Henderson
    Williams Bailly Tuanzebe Telles
    VdB Matic
    Amad Mata James
    Martial
    Bailly and Tuanzebe to fight it out for who starts the final, give James and Martial some match fitness, Rashford and Greenwood to fight it out as subs for who starts vs Villarral but most importantly everyone staying fit and being rested who will start or fighting to start (for Bailly and Tuanzebe its more about getting some minutes before the final).
    VDB will never be a CM. He has to be further up

Bwuk

I wouldn’t play anyone we think will play in the final. Result means nothing.

Henderson
    Williams - Tuanzebe - Fish - Telles
    Donny - Matic
    Amad - Mata - James
    Martial​

Bertie Wooster

Now that, thankfully, Leicester's dropped points have guaranteed us 2nd ahead of the Wolves game - which is why I wanted them to drop points v Newcastle and Southampton as well - we're in a position where we can freely rest all key players.

Another draw or defeat won't look great, or be great for morale, and a defeat would end the unbeaten away record, but the important thing is to rest key players and not risk unnecessary injuries.

Almost all the 11 that start should be those that won't start v Villarreal. Although our lack of understudy options in some areas makes that tricky - CB, #9.
    Without knowing one or two calls that Ole has to make for the final (Henderson or De Gea, Tuanzebe or Bailly) some predictions are either / or. There's also the issue of whether Martial or James are fit to feature. As neither were in the 18 today, I'm assuming they'll only feature from the bench if fit. So I'll go for...

Henderson / De Gea

Williams
    Tuanzebe*
    Bailly* (*Maybe Fish instead of either)
    Telles

VDB
    Matic

Diallo
    Mata
    Elanga / James

Greenwood / Martial / Elanga

Hopefully the likes of Mejbri and Shoretire will get a sub appearance. Although, if fit, Martial and James might be used to get game time if Ole thinks they might feature as sub v Villarreal.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
    No need to play anyone involved in the final. Nothing to achieve getting 0 or 3 points except vanity.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
    Tough to imagine much less interesting than a dead rubber away to Wolves. Hopefully Amad and one of Elanga/Shoretire/Mejbri get a game and show a bit of what they're about.

always_hoping

Struggle to beat Wolves with a first 11, I'll be surprised if United reserves get a result in this match. Expectation is for the away unbeaten league run to end here on the final away game of the season.

Last edited:

SATA

The team that’s starting the final shouldn’t even travel but put their feet up at home. Hope to see Hanninbal in midfield

Nickelodeon

Play De Gea. Keep him sharp for the final. Not bothered with the rest of the team.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
    Grant, Williams, Fish, Axel, Telles, Galbraith, Matic, Hannibal, Amad, Mata, Elanga

ash_86

Second place secured and we have a final 3 days after this game. I'd throw the entire U 23 team for this game.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
    My guess is it will be a similar team to the one against Leicester.

lenny_1248

Ole, please, play Hannibal and Shoretire.
    Thanks.

These players have been playing football for 12+ months (almost) non-stop.
    It's just one week before the final. Don't risk.
    Just play the kids. Give Elanga, Hannibal and Shola a chance.

Bertie Wooster

Ole, please, play Hannibal and Shoretire.
    Thanks.

These players have been playing football for 12+ months (almost) non-stop.
    It's just one week before the final. Don't risk.
    Just play the kids. Give Elanga, Hannibal and Shola a chance.
    I'd definitely like to see those three, plus Amad, get game time over the 90 minutes. But I wouldn't start with all of them together as it'll be too many all at once and likely be men against boys and lessen each of their chances to show what they can do.

We also have some experienced players who'd benefit from game time - Mata, and James and Martial if fit. So a lot also depends on whether they're fit to start, as they'll offer some experience to help the youngsters, and get minutes under their belt if needed as one of the 5 subs v Villarreal.

I'd start with a couple of the youngsters: Amad wide right, Elanga / Hannibal wide left (or Elanga through the middle if James fit to start on left). And give the other, and Shoretire, at least half an hour as a sub. That way each gets their opportunity but we start the game blending youth with some experience as we did against Leicester.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Obviously the team will just be whatever we need to field to best prepare for the final. I could maybe see the keeper earmarked for the final using this as a tune up. Bailly and Tuanzebe perhaps both start to complete for that CB spot in the final. Otherwise it will likely be an entirely second XI, with likely one of Rashford and Greenwood starting, before being benched in the final.

Wolves will likely win this one comfortably in front of their own fans.

Hughes35

Would be good to win this to stop the rot before the final. Would imagine a similar team to Leicester..... And we we will lose.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Have to play the fringe players. Some of ours are running on empty.
    Maguire out
    McFred nursing knocks
    Rashford has blown up like a thoroughbred racehorse that has had one too many races.
    Martial and James have to play

lenny_1248

I'd definitely like to see those three, plus Amad, get game time over the 90 minutes. But I wouldn't start with all of them together as it'll be too many all at once and likely be men against boys and lessen each of their chances to show what they can do.

We also have some experienced players who'd benefit from game time - Mata, and James and Martial if fit. So a lot also depends on whether they're fit to start, as they'll offer some experience to help the youngsters, and get minutes under their belt if needed as one of the 5 subs v Villarreal.

I'd start with a couple of the youngsters: Amad wide right, Elanga / Hannibal wide left (or Elanga through the middle if James fit to start on left). And give the other, and Shoretire, at least half an hour as a sub. That way each gets their opportunity but we start the game blending youth with some experience as we did against Leicester.
    No, of course don't start them all.
    Smth similar to the Leicester game with Hannibal and Shola from the bench (give them 30 minutes).

Henderson, Williams, Bailly, Tuanzebe, Telles, VdB, Matic, Amad, Mata, Elanga.
    God knows who will be the 11th player. Maybe Tony or James will be ready.
    Or give 45 minutes to Marcus. Especially if he won't start the EL final.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Same team that we played against Leicester for me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 172 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw