Women/girl's Academy teams

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Our youth teams are doing well this season. Good results at junior level and now emerging as a top Academy club. Another step forward for a club where we used to say goodbye to our girls at 16.

The Academy team are live on FA Player today:

One of the players to be on the lookout for:

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Good news this, always wanted United to be at the forefront of the game, glad we're trying to improve the grass roots of the women's game.

Grande

Lots of good achievements in those goals. Martha Edwards and Karna Solskjær with good stuff to open up for Aherne’s well taken brace. Staunch runs and finishing for both May and Barry’s goals, particularily the first. Even if the game was tighter than the result implied, 4-0 in a youth cup final is something to savour. Interesting to know that Katie Zelem started that way for us, in the youth set up even when there wasn’t a first team at the club. She had to go to Liverpool at 18 to play football. Good to know there will be other opportunities for Edwards, Solskjær and Aherne.

TMS

For those more knowledgeable than me was this a well deserved trophy considering our womens u21 teams stature or more of an unexpected surprise? Just wondering if in the absence of spending loads on established players for the first team, like the Chelsea's and City's of the world, if we're trying to do it the 'right way' on a bigger scale than them whilst still bringing in some top first team players from outside to fill out the squad as well.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
For those more knowledgeable than me was this a well deserved trophy considering our womens u21 teams stature or more of an unexpected surprise? Just wondering if in the absence of spending loads on established players for the first team, like the Chelsea's and City's of the world, if we're trying to do it the 'right way' on a bigger scale than them whilst still bringing in some top first team players from outside to fill out the squad as well.
It was deserved. The competition structures for the Academy and Junior teams aren't great, and basically the whole setup shutdown for covid so it wasn't obvious where we'd stand at the start of the season, but we're in line to win our (Northern) league and we've beaten Chelsea and Arsenal in competition this season. Given that, like the first team, the whole of United's U21/reserve structure has only existed since 2018, and almost all the players grew up in our junior teams, we've obviously got people doing good work.

The U16 teams have been around for longer, and are run by the MU Foundation (United's community/charity umbrella) Our U14s and U16s have won their (NW) Leagues this season - against teams like City/Liverpool/Everton. More to do, particularly where resources impact our diversity/inclusion work - but a good base to build from.

It's worth noting that when we did first setup the women's team, we actually put a lot of effort into bringing our own club trained players back from other clubs. The returnees included current first teamers like Ella Toone, Millie Turner, Katie Zelem, Kirsty Hanson.

TMS

It was deserved. The competition structures for the Academy and Junior teams aren't great, and basically the whole setup shutdown for covid so it wasn't obvious where we'd stand at the start of the season, but we're in line to win our (Northern) league and we've beaten Chelsea and Arsenal in competition this season. Given that, like the first team, the whole of United's U21/reserve structure has only existed since 2018, and almost all the players grew up in our junior teams, we've obviously got people doing good work.

The U16 teams have been around for longer, and are run by the MU Foundation (United's community/charity umbrella) Our U14s and U16s have won their (NW) Leagues this season - against teams like City/Liverpool/Everton. More to do, particularly where resources impact our diversity/inclusion work - but a good base to build from.

It's worth noting that when we did first setup the women's team, we actually put a lot of effort into bringing our own club trained players back from other clubs. The returnees included current first teamers like Ella Toone, Millie Turner, Katie Zelem, Kirsty Hanson.
Thanks for the response. Sounds like we’re definitely on the right track to supply the first team with some home grown talent. Will hopefully keep the first team stocked with talent and eventually help make us attractive enough to compete for the very best outside talent with the likes of Chelsea to fill out the squad.

MUW4Eva

Sorry that I am late to the party here, but I just wanted to say how fantastic it was to watch the younger players in action on the FA Player, as I have heard soo much about them.
Now if only MUTV would show their games, just as they do with the equivalent level of games in the boys academy, then that would be even better, as I love following the progress of players from the academy to the first team, such as Wellbeck and Rashford to the men's first team, it would be ace to do similar for say Karna or Maria Edwards.

If anyone knows of a place to keep up to date with the progress of the team, and stats of individual players through out youth sides, then please could someone let me know?

Thanks for reading this message.

Everton v United - a win will put United top of the northern League

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
We won the U21 League Cup, now is our chance to win the Academy Northern League.

As far as I know the only way to see it is by going to the match, but hopefully we'll get a few updates from Twitter etc.

A win will put us top of the league - level on points with Aston Villa, but with a much better goal difference. If we do win, then we'll play Chelsea who won the southern League for another trophy.

MUW4Eva

Soooo frustrating to have no coverage of this, even on MUTV.

This deserves to be shown live.

Good luck to the you girls, I will be rooting for them!!

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Match ends with us beating Everton 3-0 and that means we've won the Academy Northern League.

A two legged playoff against Chelsea (Southern League champions) awaits.
Well done girls. Nice to know we have some really good talent coming through.

MUW4Eva

I delighted with this, was following along as best as I could yesterday!!

So very happy for Charlotte and her staff!

Now bring on Chelsea!

One thing, if the men's/boys FA Youth Cup final, is being played at Old Trafford, then I don't really see why the second leg of this, shouldn't also be played at Old Trafford.

Imagine Karna playing on the pitch, and scoring, where her dad did so often, how good would that be??!

Last edited:

MUW4Eva

Thank goodness the first leg of this against Chelsea is later on today, to take away the images that are in my head from the men's first team.

Come on girls, I belive in you all!

MUW4Eva

Not long now until the first leg, shame that it is behind closed doors....

No team news as of yet, as far as I can find, if anyone knows it, please post it...

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
With the previous proviso about I'm guessing the authenticity of the source, more good news!
Great that there is something to cheer everybody up. The girls and women's team have shown what can be done. Just need the lads to win the Youth Cup and hopefully the club can build on good foundations.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Great that there is something to cheer everybody up. The girls and women's team have shown what can be done. Just need the lads to win the Youth Cup and hopefully the club can build on good foundations.
Yep. There's some real talent in the team, the big question is going to be around how to bring them through to the first team. Carrie Jones is already a full international for Wales. Lots of the others are playing in their national junior teams. The quantity/quality of games at this level may not be right to develop them further, so we may need to find the right loans to give them experience.

In case anyone is wondering who "Maz" is - that's Maria Edwards. She scored a hattrick against Everton on Sunday to help us win the Northern League.

MUW4Eva

Yep. There's some real talent in the team, the big question is going to be around how to bring them through to the first team. Carrie Jones is already a full international for Wales. Lots of the others are playing in their national junior teams. The quantity/quality of games at this level may not be right to develop them further, so we may need to find the right loans to give them experience.

In case anyone is wondering who "Maz" is - that's Maria Edwards. She scored a hattrick against Everton on Sunday to help us win the Northern League.
Yup, she was on loan at Blackburn recently, just have a look at her record, and add two more for today!

Maria Edwards player stats | FA WSL Academy League (thefa.com)

Unbelievable really, how she hasn't at least been on the bench this season for the first team is crazy, especially when we had that injury crisis at West Ham in the away game there.

We really do need Marc to have a complete change of mindset going into next season, in how he uses the young players, as there are a fair few that have now outgrown that level, and need to be playing first team football, whether that is with us, or on loan somewhere else.

MUW4Eva

A 3-1 away win, is a tremendous win, all still to play for in the second leg of course, and we shouldn't at all be complacent, however this does set us up very nicely indeed to hopefully complete a double this season!

Roll on Wednesday, it would be fantastic to see Altrincham packed out with fans, it is the very least that they deserve!