Women/girl's Academy teams

MUW4Eva

Meanwhile the younger teams have been taking part in an Easter holidays tournament:

Some good work being done by the Foundation and the Academy setups.
This is great to see, fair play to all involved.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The return leg of our final against Chelsea is next Wednesday at Altrincham. Unfortunately it's at 3:30 so I probably can't get there. No sign of it being broadcast anywhere either, though there's still time for MUTV or the FA to surprise me.

MUW4Eva

Has the kick off time changed??
I thought it was at 2:30pm?

That hour difference really is annoying, as I am at work for half 7, and it takes about an hour to get home from Alty....

Darn it....I could have gone if it was the original time....

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Second leg of the title playoff (Northern League v Southern) today. We lead 3-1 from the first leg. Still no sign of it being streamed anywhere, which is a shame. Hopefully we'll get updates from fans at the ground.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Well done to the young women. Hope they go on to greater success and bring glory and honor to the club and themselves.

MUW4Eva

Soooo frustrating that my time away meant that I missed being able to chat about this tremendous achievement!!

I couldn't be any happier and prouder for all involved with this, from Charlotte, to her coaches, to all of the players, and the rest of the backroom staff!

Well done to everyone who made this possible!!

To do the double is truly remarkable, an historic moment!

Congratulations to them all!!

Now the hard part comes, trying to see what happens next, will Marc use any of them next season, will any go out on loan, will any leave us, as I don't see how playing at gigs level again next season will help their progress or development.

Plus we have to try to make sure that this isn't just a one off achievement, by a spectacularly special group of players, we have to look at the even younger groups, and ask are we doing everything possible, to make sure they are following in these players footsteps.

The future hopefully is an exciting one for this crop or group of players, but ot will only be so, if they are not mis-managed, or mishandled next season, and in subsequent years after that.

22/23 season

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
After last year's successes for the U21s a lot of that team are on the move now - signing their first pro contracts etc - so this year's squad are an unknown quantity for now. We have brought in a couple of overseas players for registration with the U21 squad.

Meanwhile, further down the age groups, the new season is just getting underway with the summer holiday tournaments.

From the weekend then:
" U14s defeated Durham 15-0.
U13s defeated Durham 10-0.
U12s defeated Villa 4-0 in the final and won the tournament in Villa.
U11s defeated Villa 6-3 and won the tournament.
U10s won their final 2-1. "
Info from @mufcacademy91 on twitter.

Last edited:

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I've posted in the men's Academy forum about this so want to be consistent. I've been championing Academy football for most of my life and I'm always delighted to see all of our teams do well.

However, I'm not sure about posting images of very young children on this site without the clubs/parents permission.

If everyone else thinks it's ok then I'll let it go. Otherwise we should probably self-regulate on this one.

Thoughts?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I've posted in the men's Academy forum about this so want to be consistent. I've been championing Academy football for most of my life and I'm always delighted to see all of our teams do well.

However, I'm not sure about posting images of very young children on this site without the clubs/parents permission.

If everyone else thinks it's ok then I'll let it go. Otherwise we should probably self-regulate on this one.

Thoughts?
It's a fair comment. I'll look for text only content.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Sure...I think that's reasonable enough. Thanks.
I think it was clear cut enough with the tweet I posted yesterday, I shouldn't have used it - it was unclear where the photo had come from or what permission had been sought. There are more general issues though, that it would be interesting to get feedback from other posters on.

The obvious grey areas are the ones around social media pictures of the player posted by a proud parent, and around the pictures posted by the Foundation. The @MU_Foundation itself (that run the girls' teams for the club) often include photos on their posts, including pictures of the U14 team this week.

The U21s are in a different category of course. United routinely include their photos (individual and group) when they're reporting.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I think it was clear cut enough with the tweet I posted yesterday, I shouldn't have used it - it was unclear where the photo had come from or what permission had been sought. There are more general issues though, that it would be interesting to get feedback from other posters on.

The obvious grey areas are the ones around social media pictures of the player posted by a proud parent, and around the pictures posted by the Foundation. The @MU_Foundation itself (that run the girls' teams for the club) often include photos on their posts, including pictures of the U14 team this week.

The U21s are in a different category of course. United routinely include their photos (individual and group) when they're reporting.
100%

I post my own photos once the players reach Scholar level as the club tends to do that anyway. But anything under U/16 level I am very sensitive about for men and women.

I agree posting results or details of tournaments is no big deal and easy to keep generic regardless of age.

I guess if the foundation or parent posts something in an open forum then GDPR rules are relaxed as a consequence. I know from working HR that if someone posts something on the internet, such as Twitter or LinkedIn which is a private platform, you maintain the rights to that image/post/information (it's yours so no one else can use it without your permission) but other people on that platform can repost/retweet the image on the same platform as a platform user.

If the foundation/parents don't want anyone using the image then they shouldn't have posted it.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

This week marks a significant one for Manchester United Women.

As well as our senior team facing Arsenal in a crunch game at the top of the Women’s Super League on Wednesday evening, our Under-16s and Under-21s have finals to look forward to on Saturday (22 April) and Sunday (23 April).

Our Under-21s are poised to face Chelsea in the Academy League Cup final, looking to retain the trophy with a repeat of last year's success.

Meanwhile our Under-16s are, like the senior team, tasked with defeating the Gunners - this time the FA Girls’ Cup is on the line.

UNDER-21s PREVIEW

Here are the key details of our upcoming clash…

– United v Chelsea Under-21s
– WSL Academy Cup Final
– Sunday 23 April
– 15:00 BST kick-off
– Loughborough University Stadium

Our talented crop of youngsters could once again end their campaign by lifting the WSL Academy Cup for a second consecutive season should they overcome a tough Chelsea side.

The Reds have been in high-flying form of late, picking up six wins in our last eight fixtures. The two exceptions were defeats to Leicester City - our first loss since late October - and Chelsea, who triumphed 2-0 on their home turf earlier this month.

PLAYERS TO LOOK OUT FOR

There are plenty of difference-makers in the United Under-21s ranks. Eleanor Ashton, for example, is our highest scorer across the current campaign, netting 17 goals in 22 appearances. She is followed closely by Megan Sofield, who has an impressive return of 12 goals in as many games.

We’ll also be able to call on the experience of Safia Middleton-Patel and Jessica Simpson, who recently signed long-term contracts with the club, along with both Keira Barry and Alyssa Aherne, who had an invaluable run-out for the senior team against Sheffield United in our final home fixture of 2022. The players themselves will also be able to tap into their own experiences of last year's final success when we beat Birmingham to lift the Cup, with United looking to repeat our fortunes.

Our encounter with Chelsea is set to be shown live on The FA Player.

UNDER-16s PREVIEW

Before our Under-21s showpiece, though, our Under-16s take centre stage on Saturday…

– United v Arsenal
– FA Girls’ Youth Cup Final
– Saturday 22 April
– 16:00 BST kick-off
– Loughborough University Stadium

This will be the second meeting between the clubs this week, following the senior sides' WSL clash at Leigh Sports Village on Wednesday night. Saturday will see the turn of our Under-16s as they go for silverware in the FA Girls’ Cup but beating Arsenal will be no easy task, given the north London side have won their league without a loss, mirroring their men's ‘Invincibles’ team of 2003/04.

The Reds have also been on quite a run of form too, having not lost a game since our second of the season when we were narrowly beaten at home by Sheffield United. The same opponents also ended our subsequent 10-game winning streak, by holding us to a draw. Thereafter, we racked up four more wins before another draw, 1-1 against Liverpool.

We have netted 66 goals across the season, with our top scorer being Tamira Livingston with 12 in 14 appearances, followed closely by Scarlett Hill on seven in 16.

Meanwhile, Arsenal have netted 100 times in their campaign, so this promises to be another enthralling encounter.

Good luck to all of our women's teams playing this week!

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

U16s lost the FA girls’ youth cup final to Arsenal on pens (2-2 FT).