Women's FA Cup R5 | United v London Bees | 17 Feb - United win 3-0

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
So the draw has been completed for the 5th Round and we've got London Bees in what should be an easy home tie for United in the Final 16, which looks to be played on 17th Feb. The tie of the round is definitely Chelsea v Arsenal - should be a cracking game. Full draw as below:

Liverpool or MK Dons v Millwall Lionesses or Lewes
Bristol City v Durham or Cardiff City
Reading or Keynsham v Yeovil Town or Birmingham City
Chelsea v Arsenal
Manchester United v London Bees
West Ham v Charlton or Huddersfield Town
Stoke City or Aston Villa v Loughborough Foxes or Sheffield United
Tottenham v Manchester City

DBT85

Yeah nice to see see Chelsea and Arsenal having to take one another out. Hopefully we get past the bees and it bodes well for a longer run!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
This ought to be a good one for us. A home game which is a great start and up against a team we know. In fact I guess the only danger is if we think we know them too well. We beat them 0-5 away, and won 9-0 at home in the league.

Incidentally, our home match will Villa this Sunday has been postponed to allow the cup match Stoke V Aston Villa (postponed due to the weather) to be played on that day instead. So that's another league match of ours waiting to be rescheduled.

Grande

It’s going ti be interesting to see how Tottenham manage against City. Top of tje elite level vs the top of our division, comparable to our league cup game against Arsenal on thursday.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
One oddity from the draw which was live on BBC - the commentator mentioned casually that the game would be played, "at Old Trafford." I assumed it was just a mistake but it may actually be true, and there's a bit of speculation around it on twitter. Leigh - the rugby team whose ground we normally use - are playing at home that day. United men of course are playing away at Arsenal in the Cup match on the following Monday night.

It would be a curious one for our first women's game at OT. United v London Bees doesn't really have the same cachet as United v Liverpool for example, but still - a chance to make a bit of history. We wait and see :D

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
United website now saying this will be at LSV
They're still showing it as a 2pm KO on the Sunday though and Leigh Centurions v Featherstone kicks off at 3pm. Our date has to move to use Leigh. City played their cup match on a Saturday so maybe we'll do the same - assuming the stadium and the rugby club can handle that.

Our third named ground is Altricham. They're are playing at home on the Saturday and again the following Tuesday, so I guess it might depend on whether they think their pitch can handle another game.

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Shame it's not at Old Trafford but Hyde is a closer for me than Leigh so not gonna complain too much.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
MUTV have scheduled the match to broadcast live on Sunday afternoon.

That means we're the only people currently advertising that we're showing a women's FA cup match live. Well done MUTV. I hope they'll be allowed to carry on broadcasting the otherwise untelevised games when we get promoted to WSL1.

Hyde's main claim to fame (?) is that they lost 26-0 to Preston in the FA Cup in 1887 - that's a record.

City used their ground as the reserve team stadium for a few years - paying for the upgrades it needed but insisting that Hyde dropped their red shirts and the United from their name. When City reserves moved out to their own stadium in 2015 - Hyde became United again.

The stadium now has a capacity of 4000 (530 seated) and most significantly, a modern 3g pitch. Curiously the previous pitch wasn't quite rectangular - so when the new (rectangular) pitch was laid, it meant one of the stands was left sitting at a slight angle to it.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Wooo it's game day. A nice comfortable win and favourable draw in the next round would be perfect. Come on united!

Andersons Dietician

I’m a little confused by these cups but anyway I seem to recall London Bees keeper being decent against us even if she did pick the ball out of the net a lot, I also remeber thinking Pickford their number 12 must like to wear an xs kit, especially the shorts.

Andersons Dietician

Without Zelem or James just seems to be a hectic element to this game. It seems a bit more hit, run, run some more than controlling games like we would normally do with either of those two on the pitch. They can slow it down when needed and just pick passes and pick up the pace when it’s needed. It just seems a little frantic and desperate.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Solid performance from United rather than a good one so far. Maybe Zelem's absence affecting us? Maybe not quite our usual intensity.

Nice to see Emily Ramsey get her debut as well, even if it only half an hour. It's hard being a backup keeper.

buchansleftleg

That game really shows how much we depend on Katie Zelim and Lauren James for creativity.

In the first half we only really had Alex Greenwood switching play and creating cross field movement. The bees were set up to minimse damage so it's no surprise we scored less.

Lauren James made an instant impact and moved to control the game from deep. Another good performance from the team.

Dudu

Yay. Onto the next round :devil:

Bristol City and Arsenal out too, although all the other major teams still in it.

Fingers crossed we get Villa or Durham.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
City would be very symmetrical - the derby match is on the 16th and these FA cup matches will be scheduled for 17 March.

As it happens, Leigh won't be available that day due to a rugby match, so there's maybe just a chance of sneaking this one into OT, groundsman's opinion permitting. Personally, I reckon Liverpool would feel like the perfect (winnable but eye-catching!) match for that.

Grande

City would be very symmetrical - the derby match is on the 16th and these FA cup matches will be scheduled for 17 March.

As it happens, Leigh won't be available that day due to a rugby match, so there's maybe just a chance of sneaking this one into OT, groundsman's opinion permitting. Personally, I reckon Liverpool would feel like the perfect (winnable but eye-catching!) match for that.
Yes, but we’ve already beaten Liverpool ;)