Women's team 22/23 Transfer rumours/updates

MUW4Eva

If it was Emma Hayes who was our manager and she was going for ex-players I wouldn't be worried, but it is Mark Skinner who isn't exactly a world beater.
This is a huge "make or break" season for Marc, he needs to show something new, to end up with a Champions League place, otherwise we really should be looking to replace him.
Another 4th place finish (or even below) would be completely unacceptable.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This is a huge "make or break" season for Marc, he needs to show something new, to end up with a Champions League place, otherwise we really should be looking to replace him.
Another 4th place finish (or even below) would be completely unacceptable.
Yep. They need to put more money into this team and that might include the manager.

MUW4Eva

Yep. They need to put more money into this team and that might include the manager.
Yes it was a completely unique situation, but look at the way that Casey pushed the club to overspend on Press and Heath, it doesn't seem sadly that Marc had this ability to really convince or make those above him pay more than they might like on women's team players.

Getting cast offs on free transfers, seems to be the height of Marc's expectations, soooo annoying.

There are soooo many good players out there that with a bit of pushing, and a fair amount of demands, that we REALLY could do with, that as a club, we could easily afford, but nope, Rachel Williams it is for us and Marc.
Williams and signing an injured Jade Moore, just sum him and his ambitions up.
He has none.

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Lawson just didn't have the feet or pace she was just tough and brave. I would be very surprised to see her at a top team in WSL in 5-10 years and think we missed out there.

Edwards is odd especially as we have just signed Clinton but I haven't seen enough of Clinton to have an opinion. Has anyone on here seen a lot of Clinton? She a 10 too from the glimpses I've seen.
I'm not sure I about PL, in the games I've seen her in pace/passing wasn't an issue for me at all. I'll see next year for Hibs. I did only see 10ish U21 games last year.

Clinton's a 10/False 9. She played 9 for England recently. I think she's an attacking mid, but she's also one of the ones they tried for in Jan that didn't happen, so maybe they like the 9 option.

MUW4Eva

I'm not sure I about PL, in the games I've seen her in pace/passing wasn't an issue for me at all. I'll see next year for Hibs. I did only see 10ish U21 games last year.

Clinton's a 10/False 9. She played 9 for England recently. I think she's an attacking mid, but she's also one of the ones they tried for in Jan that didn't happen, so maybe they like the 9 option.
So she will be competing for a place against Risa, Jackie, Staniforth and Tooney, if I have understood things correctly or accurately??

Now when you factor in Marc's anti youth mindset, I honestly can't see her making too many if any appearances this season.

Crick

Errrrr.........sorry, but West Ham away, in which we dropped two unbelievably vital points, was when Zelem was playing at CB, so that would lead to suggestions at the very least, that we did struggle with her playing CB....

As for getting rid of Thorisdottir, we'll that is a sensible idea, especially as we are so blessed with CB's at the moment, with Millie Turner just coming back from her own long term health issues, and Mannion out until who knows when....
So if you get rid of Thorisdottir, we will literally have no match fit CB's....

Yes there are rumours & links with the French CB, but right now, that is all that they are, so wanting to see the back of our only match fit CB, is a tad odd.....
We drew at West Ham because Skinner told them to sit back in the second half and try to see it out. He made poor substitutions, the midfield regressed 10 yards and we stopped playing. Then it became a siege for the last 10 minutes. It had nothing to do with CB's. We stopped playing and invited them on to us. We should have been 3 up by then with the chances we missed. We were playing well for 70 minutes, then just stopped.

What about the equalizer at Arsenal? They were down to 10 and all Thorisdottir and Caldwell had to do was mark Blackstenius. Yet she found 2 meters of space!! Then it was running through treacle. Abysmal defending. What's the point in employing them if they can't defend that.

Thorisdottir constantly misshits passes, panics under pressure and has no pace. The only thing she has is she's okay in the air but isn't outstanding and seems a really nice member of the dressing room. She's average at best and is a perfect example of how we go after players the top three know aren't good enough, so are happy to move on. CB is by far the weakest part of the squad. We are good to watch but always weak in vital games. We need focus on improving this, this summer. We have to get the rumored CB's signed.

MUW4Eva

We drew at West Ham because Skinner told them to sit back in the second half and try to see it out. He made poor substitutions, the midfield regressed 10 yards and we stopped playing. Then it became a siege for the last 10 minutes. It had nothing to do with CB's. We stopped playing and invited them on to us. We should have been 3 up by then with the chances we missed. We were playing well for 70 minutes, then just stopped.

What about the equalizer at Arsenal? They were down to 10 and all Thorisdottir and Caldwell had to do was mark Blackstenius. Yet she found 2 meters of space!! Then it was running through treacle. Abysmal defending. What's the point in employing them if they can't defend that.

Thorisdottir constantly misshits passes, panics under pressure and has no pace. The only thing she has is she's okay in the air but isn't outstanding and seems a really nice member of the dressing room. She's average at best and is a perfect example of how we go after players the top three know aren't good enough, so are happy to move on. CB is by far the weakest part of the squad. We are good to watch but always weak in vital games. We need focus on improving this, this summer. We have to get the rumored CB's signed.

I agree that Thorisdottir isn't the best CB, and under normally circumstances, I would be fine with seeing her moved on, however, when she is literally our only match fit CB, then I would rather keep her, than have no match fit CB's....

As Millie cannot be relied upon at this stage to play 90 mins in every single game, in all competitions, that would be incredibly unfair on her.

So, CB is definitely an area where we need to upgrade, and pronto.
Yes there are rumours about that French CB, however that is just one, we could really do with two CB's being brought in, as we don't know when Mannion will be back, and even when she is, she will need to be eased back into the side.

MUW4Eva

All very good news, now we just need to know the contractual status of Turner, Ona, Staniforth, and Jackie......that isn't too much to ask is it??

buchansleftleg

I've no confidence left in Skinner's choices. He accepts mediocrity and seemingly is just happy to have the job. He won't push for the next level of signing because he doesn't want the arguments. He signs the sort of "nearly" players that won't raise the teams level. His lack of ambition will mean we will lose or squander the talents of players like Groenen and Ona.

We wont challenge for major honours while he is the manager.

TMS

Is it fair to blame Skinner? Much like the men's team managers come and go and the problems stay the same, so the issue likely sits higher up. After there are reasons Casey left in the first place, and I'm sure that wouldn't have encouraged any managers above Skinner's level to take on the job. That doesn't exactly put Skinner in a position to challenge those above him when it comes to signings.

On a positive note I'm pleasantly surprised that we've shelled out to sign Le Tissier in a signing that came largely out of nowhere. Hopefully that is a sign of what's to come as those are the types of signing that could take the team forward, but equally it could be a flash in the pan and the board won't want to spend anything significant on other signings. Hopefully the increased money coming in to the women's game and the interest the Euros has picked up will encourage the club to spend what is really a pittance in the grand scheme of the club to give the squad a boost though. Whether the top players would want to come is another story though!

Reactions: mazhar13

MUW4Eva

Is it fair to blame Skinner? Much like the men's team managers come and go and the problems stay the same, so the issue likely sits higher up. After there are reasons Casey left in the first place, and I'm sure that wouldn't have encouraged any managers above Skinner's level to take on the job. That doesn't exactly put Skinner in a position to challenge those above him when it comes to signings.

On a positive note I'm pleasantly surprised that we've shelled out to sign Le Tissier in a signing that came largely out of nowhere. Hopefully that is a sign of what's to come as those are the types of signing that could take the team forward, but equally it could be a flash in the pan and the board won't want to spend anything significant on other signings. Hopefully the increased money coming in to the women's game and the interest the Euros has picked up will encourage the club to spend what is really a pittance in the grand scheme of the club to give the squad a boost though. Whether the top players would want to come is another story though!
They probably used the pot of money that UEFA give clubs that have players at the Euro's to sign Le Tiss, so whilst it is of course good that we have seemingly signed her, let's not go overboard saying that the club has shelled out, when it is probably in a way UEFA that has done so.

TMS

They probably used the pot of money that UEFA give clubs that have players at the Euro's to sign Le Tiss, so whilst it is of course good that we have seemingly signed her, let's not go overboard saying that the club has shelled out, when it is probably in a way UEFA that has done so.
Are clubs required to spend that money in a certain way? Not aware of any restrictions to that sort of income, so it's still been a club choice to reinvest that money into a signing rather than just pocketing the cash.

In a way it leads itself into the point I made earlier about the money now starting to come in to the women's game. If the club has a bit of foresight it can get a head start and spend it before it comes in thanks to the stature of the overall club. That way they're in a position of power when the money actually reaches the other clubs who haven't already spent (e.g. Chelsea, City etc.). Looking at the way things are trending any investments made in the women's squad now should hopefully pay themselves off in very little time.

MUW4Eva

Carrie Jones goes out on loan to Leicester. Should be a good move for her, she's already a good player and she needs playing time now.

This is a make or break move for her, as she needs to play not only regularly there, but well for Marc to take any notice of her.

I wish her all the best of luck, I really do at Leicester.

Lightbringer

Tara Bourne going on loan to Birmingham - she needs the game time.

Stefanie van der Gragt is a free agent, she had a monster game vs France. Why not bring her in to cover for Mannion? If I have learned anything, its that its best to not count on players returning from serious knee injuries to return in time, and if they do do its not certain they will get back to game shape anytime soon or at all! And especially with Mannion its her 2nd knee injury, which makes her an ever more of a doubt going forward!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Stefanie van der Gragt is a free agent, she had a monster game vs France. Why not bring her in to cover for Mannion? If I have learned anything, its that its best to not count on players returning from serious knee injuries to return in time, and if they do do its not certain they will get back to game shape anytime soon or at all! And especially with Mannion its her 2nd knee injury, which makes her an ever more of a doubt going forward!
She was terrific last night. I'd be surprised if she's a free agent for long after that!

It's rumoured that Skinner is planning to play Maya le Tissier at centre back rather than fullback. Which might work, but leaves you wondering about fullback cover.

We're rumoured to be signing Tounkara (French NT player) but with Mannion's long-term injury and Millie needing time to recover fully - having another centre back would be very reassuring.

MUW4Eva

She was terrific last night. I'd be surprised if she's a free agent for long after that!

It's rumoured that Skinner is planning to play Maya le Tissier at centre back rather than fullback. Which might work, but leaves you wondering about fullback cover.

We're rumoured to be signing Tounkara (French NT player) but with Mannion's long-term injury and Millie needing time to recover fully - having another centre back would be very reassuring.
Yeah, whichever way you look at it, we are short of defensive cover, at both full back and Centre back right now.

One or two injuries/suspensions, and we are back to playing Zelem at the back again....

Crick

Yeah, whichever way you look at it, we are short of defensive cover, at both full back and Centre back right now.

One or two injuries/suspensions, and we are back to playing Zelem at the back again....
As I said before unless its a 3-4-3 next season and we do have enough. The midfielders as the centre of a back 3 makes sense. It's not like there's loads of Russo's or Harder's in the league who are great headers. I'd rather have a ball player back there.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Amy Turner has indeed returned to England. She's joining Spurs. Which I must admit I'm rather sad about.

Also, a bit of a mystery around Amy Turner.

Amy Turner's contract had been paid off by Orlando Pride. It's not obvious whether that's what she wanted - the reaction of some of her teammates, including her partner, says it wasn't. The effect of the deal is that she won't be playing for OP, and can't play for another US team next season.

There's an investigation underway into OP's coach at present. Was Amy the whistle blower?

Not clear yet if she's coming back to England, but I'm hoping that United are in contact with her.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
The estimated value of Grace Clinton is a bit on the low end? :confused:

https://www.soccerdonna.de/de/manchester-united/startseite/verein_4458.html

@jojojo Is this the best roster page we got with estimations of value btw? Its definitely the most ambitious I have seen on womens soccer, and updated frequently.

I've not really seen another site trying to do this with European clubs. I think some of the valuations are on the optimistic side given how few transfer fees over 10k actually get paid.

I don't know their methodology but it's interesting to see their pricing on Russo and Toone. Russo only has a year left left on her contract, and she's going to be a star - but which big money team is still looking at striker options this summer.

On Grace Clinton, I don't think most WSL clubs are ready yet to pay for potential - they only pay fees for starters. I don't think she's a starter for any of the top clubs just yet. She needs time, and I hope she'll be able to get that from us.

There are exceptions of course, Chelsea could afford to gamble on Lauren James. Maya Le Tissier has been a WSL starter for a couple of years and regularly wins Player of the Match etc - she's a regular in the England U23s and can't be far off getting her first full England squad callup.

Tl dr - I think there's a lot of guesswork in transfer valuations even in the men's game, where we've been playing guess the fee for years.

Lightbringer

I've not really seen another site trying to do this with European clubs. I think some of the valuations are on the optimistic side given how few transfer fees over 10k actually get paid.

I don't know their methodology but it's interesting to see their pricing on Russo and Toone. Russo only has a year left left on her contract, and she's going to be a star - but which big money team is still looking at striker options this summer.

On Grace Clinton, I don't think most WSL clubs are ready yet to pay for potential - they only pay fees for starters. I don't think she's a starter for any of the top clubs just yet. She needs time, and I hope she'll be able to get that from us.

There are exceptions of course, Chelsea could afford to gamble on Lauren James. Maya Le Tissier has been a WSL starter for a couple of years and regularly wins Player of the Match etc - she's a regular in the England U23s and can't be far off getting her first full England squad callup.

Tl dr - I think there's a lot of guesswork in transfer valuations even in the men's game, where we've been playing guess the fee for years.
I know Toone and Russos value have been updated since the EUROs, been checking it out. Grace Clinton was added to Uniteds roster aprox 12 hours after she was announced by United.

The reason I felt her value was very low is that Hammarbys 2nd keeper Hanna Kohl that never played a game in the swedish top tier division also has 15 000 EURO in transfer value, and you would assume a teen talent signing for United have more value than a 26 year old keeper who never played a game in the top league in sweden. But of course there is going to be errors on such a site, especially I reckon the guys in charge have no idea about Hammarbys fringe players.

But they still have Hammarbys 16 and 17 year old players that is with the first team listed, so they must be very legit when it comes to what players are on the lists.

I would also like to see contract length listed, it should not be impossible.

Lauren James, is there any article about her season and situation at Chelsea? I am just curious, I have not followed her at all, and I despise Chelsea so I really dont want to venture in their channels to search :D

Well, if United low balled Russo and hoped she should take a hometown discount its backfired massively as she will now sit in a position to get a monster contract - especially if she scores alot during the season. Lets hope Toone can convince her to stay on the United ship!

My worst fear is that United dont sign her before or during the season and we fall flat and finish 5th or something and she leaves for title glory elsewhere, that would set us back both in terms of quality, PR and fans would be livid!

Note: Onas value is sky high :D Even compared to Toone & Russo.

Torwart Mary Earps :devil:

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
A bit of a blast from the recent United past:

Ebony was one of Casey Stoney's original signings. Unfortunately she didn't get the match time she needed with us - she was only 17/18 at the time. She did well on loan at Sheffield United. She did well for Bristol City too - top scorer for them for two seasons and scored against us - but when they got relegated she headed to the US.

Looks like she's found the right team, right time at Houston. 5 goals in 5 games now for them. An interesting wildcard for England's WWC2023 squad maybe? Certainly when she fancies a return to the UK, she could be (I hope) a good one for us.

Lightbringer

Lina Hurtig is an outspoken longtime huge Manchester United fan, maybe that could lead to us signing her over Arsenal?

DomesticTadpole

Well I've joked in the past about the idea of Rachel Daly signing for us. But I hadn't seen this one coming:

Gulp :eek:

As statements of intent go, that's a big move from Aston Villa.
That is a big surprise, is the rest of the team up to her standard?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
That is a big surprise, is the rest of the team up to her standard?
They've got a good manager and it looks like she's trying to reinforce with experienced players - they've signed Kenza Dali (midfielder - she was in the French squad this summer) for example. Their target this season is probably to stay clear of the relegation dogfight, but all the clubs are trying to strengthen - including Everton who nearly got relegated, and Liverpool who've just been promoted - so Daly is a great signing for them.

What I hadn't realised was that they also signed Simone Magill from Everton this season. Unfortunately she's the NI forward who tore her ACL in the Euros last month.

I don't know if the Rachel Daly signing was agreed before or after the Euros, but it's their intention to play her as a forward (her traditional role!) not as a fullback.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Lina Hurtig is an outspoken longtime huge Manchester United fan, maybe that could lead to us signing her over Arsenal?

I don't see it given how many forwards we have already signed, unless it means someone (Alessia :eek:) is going.

My first instinct is that our name was thrown in there to upset Arsenal, but who knows. Maybe we've decided that we can't defend, so we'd better start scoring a lot more goals.

DomesticTadpole

I don't see it given how many forwards we have already signed, unless it means someone (Alessia :eek:) is going.

My first instinct is that our name was thrown in there to upset Arsenal, but who knows. Maybe we've decided that we can't defend, so we'd better start scoring a lot more goals.
We didn't score enough goals either so you could be right. They will be bonkers to let Alessia go, those England ladies will be one of the big pulls for fans new to women's football.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Understandable given the transfers this summer. That said, I admit, I don't really understand the strategy behind the attacking transfers this summer. I'm not sure why I'd choose Rachel Williams or Nikita Parris over her for example - I guess Skinner sees it differently.

Perhaps Kirsty wants more playing time and doesn't see herself getting it? Rachel Williams might be more willing to be a perennial backup, I guess. Perhaps there's also the vague hope that Nikita Parris might turn back to her 2019 edition. I don't know.

There are also rumours that PSG are looking at Jackie Groenen. I hope we can keep her, but again there are times when it seems that Skinner either doesn't rate her or he finds it difficult to use her so I don't know how much they'd have to offer to get a deal. I'm also hoping that she doesn't want to go.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Interesting to see what’s happening at Man City right now . Stanway & Bronze gone with White retiring and Barca are pushing hard for Kiera Walsh. That’s a big core gone

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Interesting to see what’s happening at Man City right now . Stanway & Bronze gone with White retiring and Barca are pushing hard for Kiera Walsh. That’s a big core gone
Yep, it's not at all obvious what's going on at City. Age has caught up with some of their big names - Houghton is still there, but played very little last year. Jill Scott left during last season (and has retired now).

Bronze isn't the force she was, but it was still a surprise to see her go, still it could be argued that she was also part of that "end of an era" thing. But Stanway leaving and Walsh apparently liking the look of a move doesn't seem to fit that pattern of renewing the team.

I kept expecting to hear some big announcements of new signings for them after the Euros - and there have been some. But it's not obvious that they've strengthened the team.

They're already out of the CL of course, do maybe they feel they've got enough players for now and will reinforce as the US and some of the other summer leagues end.

Lightbringer

Money talks?

Sell as expensive as possible or keep her for this season and lose her for free?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Money talks?

It's a tough one. I'm one of those people that thinks Groenen can make the midfield tick, and makes the whole team look stronger and more coherent when she does. But, we tend to set up the team to try and get the best from Katie Zelem and I don't think the combination of Katie and Jackie has ever worked as well as I'd hoped.

If the rumours are true, I'll be sad to see her go, but maybe not surprised - the combination of CL football and a new role might suit her. I know PSG would be a better team with her and we'll be weaker if she leaves.

It's also so late in the transfer window that I don't know how we'd replace her. I'm not convinced that our midfield is strong enough to let us compete with the top teams without her.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Another one for the "oh no" speculation list - Ona Batlle wasn't around for our friendly against Everton on Sunday. United described her as "unavailable" but didn't explain more. Earlier in the window it's looked like Barcelona were after her, but we'd basically rejected their offers.

Since then Barca have had a few injuries and now they've got a problem that means they can't register all their non-EU players. Not the financial one that hit the men's team - they want to register four non-EU players, including Lucy Bronze, but currently are only allowed to register two.

I don't know where that leaves them in terms of starting lineup and squad players, but the price they're willing to pay to get Ona (who would be a free agent next year) may have gone up.

Fingers crossed on Ona then. Both that all is well for her and her family and also that we aren't looking at a late transfer deal for her.