Women's team 22/23 Transfer rumours/updates

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We've had persistent rumours connecting us to Lucia Garcia for a few weeks now. She's a forward, 23 years old, plays for the Spanish national team (and in the squad for the Euros)

Last week it was confirmed that she's leaving Athletic.

And the reports continue that she's on her way to us:
The article says, it's all done except for the official announcement. Vamos a ver!

In other news about Spanish players - rumours continue that both Chelsea and Barcelona want One Batlle. The reports also say that United don't intend to let her go cheap, especially not to Chelsea. Also, if the rumours are to be believed, Barcelona don't have much money to play with.

Last edited:

MUW4Eva

We've had persistent rumours connecting us to Lucia Garcia for a few weeks now. She's a forward, 23 years old, plays for the Spanish national team (and in the squad for the Euros)

The article says, it's all done except for the official announcement. Vamos a ver!

In other news about Spanish players - rumours continue that both Chelsea and Barcelona want her. The reports also say that United don't intend to let her go cheap, especially not to Chelsea. Also, if the rumours are to be believed, Barcelona don't have much money to play with.
There are a fair few Barcelona players that I would like to help them out financially with, heck just buy all of their starting line up!
But hopefully, if this Garcia deal is done, then hopefully, it is just the first of many.

Right now we have one single fit CB, (Thorisdottir), not exactly ideal....plus one fit true striker (Russo- although with her deal in in 20 days time, can we still include her for next season??)....

Sooooo yeah...plenty to sort out still...

Grande

In other news about Spanish players - rumours continue that both Chelsea and Barcelona want her. The reports also say that United don't intend to let her go cheap, especially not to Chelsea. Also, if the rumours are to be believed, Barcelona don't have much money to play with.
She’s a very interesting player, should be a good reinforcement if it goes through.

MUW4Eva

She’s a very interesting player, should be a good reinforcement if it goes through.
We need far more than just her.....I will welcome her, if indeed she signs, but she needs to be one ov a fair few signings....

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Lots of speculation around Jackie Groenen at the moment. It looks like Juventus want her. United still have her under contract using their +1 year clause in her contract, so there would be a fee if she left.

She has apparently been offered a new contract by us (no surprise) but is still thinking about it - also no surprise, given that she doesn't seem to be treated as that important by Skinner, and could go to a CL club.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Also, a bit of a mystery around Amy Turner.

Amy Turner's contract had been paid off by Orlando Pride. It's not obvious whether that's what she wanted - the reaction of some of her teammates, including her partner, says it wasn't. The effect of the deal is that she won't be playing for OP, and can't play for another US team next season.

There's an investigation underway into OP's coach at present. Was Amy the whistle blower?

Not clear yet if she's coming back to England, but I'm hoping that United are in contact with her.

Lightbringer

Johanna Rytting Kaneryd , make her a red before the EUROPE competition - after the tournament her value will skyrocket just like with Blackstenius!

But from reading these threads for the last months, I have zero faith anything will happen on any front.

The club could only surprise us in a positive way now, since we dont expect anything but disaster?

MUW4Eva

Lots of speculation around Jackie Groenen at the moment. It looks like Juventus want her. United still have her under contract using their +1 year clause in her contract, so there would be a fee if she left.

She has apparently been offered a new contract by us (no surprise) but is still thinking about it - also no surprise, given that she doesn't seem to be treated as that important by Skinner, and could go to a CL club.
Do we have heve with a plus one still, I thought the plus one was this past season?

It is hard to know exactly, but hopefully that is the case, still not ideal either way, as foreign clubs can start talking to her in January.

Still in the dark with 11 days to go over Zelem, Turner, Staniforth, Russo, Caldwell, & the seemingly invisible unless you see her on Tick Tock, Fuso, & their respective contracts.

All this hype of Arnold's chat with fans, & he said naff all with regards to the women's teams many & wide ranging issues.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Do we have heve with a plus one still, I thought the plus one was this past season?

It is hard to know exactly, but hopefully that is the case, still not ideal either way, as foreign clubs can start talking to her in January.

Still in the dark with 11 days to go over Zelem, Turner, Staniforth, Russo, Caldwell, & the seemingly invisible unless you see her on Tick Tock, Fuso, & their respective contracts.

All this hype of Arnold's chat with fans, & he said naff all with regards to the women's teams many & wide ranging issues.
Not 100% sure on Groenen - as United are saying nothing - but the idea of a transfer fee has been mentioned in the Italian press, and that seems to be consistent with what United regulars have heard. If the rest of the Italian speculation is right, United are still negotiating with Jackie on a renewal.

On renewals generally, it's all a bit of a mystery. I think most people are assuming that Fuso is going. Russo seems to be a major renewal doubt, but as far as I'm concerned they're all renewal doubts until the contracts are signed.

One glimmer of good news (assuming she is renewing!) is that it looks like Millie Turner has a medical all clear to start training again. At least that's how I read this tweet from her dad:

MUW4Eva

Not 100% sure on Groenen - as United are saying nothing - but the idea of a transfer fee has been mentioned in the Italian press, and that seems to be consistent with what United regulars have heard. If the rest of the Italian speculation is right, United are still negotiating with Jackie on a renewal.

On renewals generally, it's all a bit of a mystery. I think most people are assuming that Fuso is going. Russo seems to be a major renewal doubt, but as far as I'm concerned they're all renewal doubts until the contracts are signed.

One glimmer of good news (assuming she is renewing!) is that it looks like Millie Turner has a medical all clear to start training again. At least that's how I read this tweet from her dad:

Not to sure any United regulars know the full picture with regard to renewals, which is why it was such a huge missed opportunity by those so called fans, who had the opportunity to speak to Arnold, but failed in their duty to ask him anything about these contracts, or indeed seemingly anything about the women's team.
If they were true fans of the club, they would have asked about the women's team, but sadly it seems that they very much were anything but fans.

I hope that we get some information shortly as to who is staying and who is going, as it is unbelievably frustrating to be in the dark and not be knowing what sort of squad we will be looking at for next season.

I mean we have no clue about our captain for crying out loud!

It is good that we have our first friendly known now, although facing PSG with one fit CB (Thor) doesn't exactly fill me with any joy whatsoever.

I couldn't possibly even begin to think just what our team will be that will start that game, seeing as there is sooo much confusion over soo many of our players and their respective contracts.

The fact that right now, we have more goalkeepers than strikers (3 v 2) is most odd, and very concerning (Earps, Rambo and Baggers v Russo and Thomas), surely by the time we play PSG, that will change.....won't it....??!!

It will be good to see Mille back whenever that may be, but with an injury or a diagnosis such as hers, there definitely should be absolutely no rushing her back, despite how good and how vitally important a player she is for us.

Hopefully, by the time we do play PSG, we actually have a squad of players able to take to the field against them.....but who knows with this club, and the seeming disdain that they have for anything that involves the women's team...

RORY65

Russo has apparently turned down a new contract. She still has another year but it's not a good sign and according to the BBC at least 5 clubs in the league are working on a bigger budget than United.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Russo has apparently turned down a new contract. She still has another year but it's not a good sign and according to the BBC at least 5 clubs in the league are working on a bigger budget than United.
Unfortunately that's easy to believe. Relying on players like Russo being United fans, wasn't going to cut it forever. They've all got their own careers to think of.

The overall budget isn't a surprise either. A couple of years ago we'd already heard that we had a top 6 budget rather than a top 3 budget. Casey managed to get a bit of leeway to sign Tobin and Heath, but only as a gamble to see if it got us into Europe and, according to some reports, only by pulling forward money from the following season's budget.

Horribly frustrating of course, given that the difference between a top three budget and a top six budget in the WSL is the kind of money that gets lost in the exchange rate noise on contracts in the men's team.

MUW4Eva

Unfortunately that's easy to believe. Relying on players like Russo being United fans, wasn't going to cut it forever. They've all got their own careers to think of.

The overall budget isn't a surprise either. A couple of years ago we'd already heard that we had a top 6 budget rather than a top 3 budget. Casey managed to get a bit of leeway to sign Tobin and Heath, but only as a gamble to see if it got us into Europe and, according to some reports, only by pulling forward money from the following season's budget.

Horribly frustrating of course, given that the difference between a top three budget and a top six budget in the WSL is the kind of money that gets lost in the exchange rate noise on contracts in the men's team.
The club REALLY has their priorities all kinds of wrong, way pay such high sums for FdJ for the men's team, but not anything remotely close to that for Russo, or any other women's team player, it makes zero sense.
Offer me the choice of seeing either Russo here for us, or FdJ, and I will take Russo every single time.

Why so much money is being spent on the men's team, and naff all on the women's team, doesn't make any sense at all!

It gets me sooo wound up, those si called "fans" who had a golden opportunity to quiz Arnold about the women's teams issues, and didn't do so, are all idiots for just concentrating their questions solely in the men's team, we need answers about the women's team, far more than we need answers about the men's team.

Just what the heck is going on when such a high profile player as Russo wants out??!!

I am fuming about this, no transfers in, no news of anyone signing any extensions....

Are we really going to turn up against PSG with Ladd playing CB?? As just who else di we have to play alongside Thorisdottir??!!

The whole situation is a complete mess!!

Sooo disheartening, soooo frustrating.....

Danish Wizard

Uniteds scouting department is truly non-existing.
Several great young players in Scandinavia, ready to step up and improve the team. But United are no-where to be seen. Instead they let mid-table clubs like Everton and others snap them up. Several good players around. Also on a free.
It really isn't that difficult.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The owners don't care. They were shamed into setting up a women's team. It's an inconvenience for them.

MUW4Eva

It is as if we are in hibernation mode until the PSG game, where we will get torn to shreds, if we turn up with about 8 players, which might be the case, if we don't sort out the contracts of those players who have just 9 days left....

Unbelievably frustrating....

Grande

If we can’t get our own Young players who are United fans to renew, it’s a damning sogn of lack of ambition. What has Man City, Chelsea AND Arsenal got that we haven’t got?

MUW4Eva

If we can’t get our own Young players who are United fans to renew, it’s a damning sogn of lack of ambition. What has Man City, Chelsea AND Arsenal got that we haven’t got?
Owners that give a damn for a start....

Anyway rumours that Jackie has signed up until 2024, so that would be something positive if true....

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I think on the renewals front, for people reaching the end of their contact, we may not get any announcement from United until the end of the month. Before then, we may get something from a player in the build-up to the Euros perhaps or with info gathered indirectly from another club. It's great news if Jackie has chosen to renew.

I can understand any player who has one year to run, not wanting to renew though. Even if they're happy to play for us next season, they may want to see what happens next to the team and to them. If we're moving forward, then it's easy for the ambitious to stay, if we aren't, and we aren't offering better financial incentives either, it's hard to see why they'd re-sign.

Obviously I'd like to think United are going to surprise me - perhaps after the Euros - by announcing they've signed someone special like Jackie or a rising star like Ona.

But then I was hoping they'd surprise me last summer as well, and they did, but not necessarily in a good way :smirk:

Grande

Owners that give a damn for a start....

Anyway rumours that Jackie has signed up until 2024, so that would be something positive if true....

From what I can tell, Groenen is not going to Juventus anyway. She is important to keep.

Hope someone in the fan forum pressures Arnold on this as well. The owners can’t be trusted to care about what is important for Man United in the long view.

MUW4Eva

From what I can tell, Groenen is not going to Juventus anyway. She is important to keep.

Hope someone in the fan forum pressures Arnold on this as well. The owners can’t be trusted to care about what is important for Man United in the long view.
I have sent Arnold, John and Andy a letter outlining my own concerns and issues with regards to the women's team, as the women's team representative is completely useless, about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard, that person does naff all in terms of asking anything worthwhile in the forums, so I don't trust that person to suddenly start doing so.

Grande

I have sent Arnold, John and Andy a letter outlining my own concerns and issues with regards to the women's team, as the women's team representative is completely useless, about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard, that person does naff all in terms of asking anything worthwhile in the forums, so I don't trust that person to suddenly start doing so.
Good going!

MUW4Eva

So it has been confirmed that Caldwell is leaving us....

Sooo we had better be bringing on at least one other CB this summer, as we shouldn't be relying upon Millie as she has only just come back it seems from what was a very serious injury/illness, so expecting her to play 90 plus minutes every game is completely nonsensical, and deeply unfair on her.

We have Thor who at the moment is our only match fit CB, unless we are planning on using Ladd at CB, which would be immensely frustrating as she is by far and away at her best as a DM.

Very frustrating seeing City as active as they have been, whilst we do seemingly naff all.

Mary Fowler is another excellent signing by them, presumably pushing White further towards the exit door.

Today is also the last day for a fair few players contracts, & with no news as yet on anyone siging new deals or extensions, I fear the worst.

Apparently that means, Zelem, Turner, Jackie, Staniforth, & I think Fuso could all leave us tomorrow....

Would REALLY love an update to say otherwise from the club....

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
United have confirmed Bruun will return to Lyon, and Fran Bentley has made her loan move to Bristol City permanent.

If it's anything like last season, we'll probably see a flurry of announcements like this now confirming the departures, and then we'll see something similar for the new signings.

MUW4Eva

United have confirmed Bruun will return to Lyon, and Fran Bentley has made her loan move to Bristol City permanent.

If it's anything like last season, we'll probably see a flurry of announcements like this now confirming the departures, and then we'll see something similar for the new signings.
Need to know what the situation is with the high profile players that had their contracts ending yesterday, so Millie Turner, Ona, Smith, Zelem, Staniforth, Jackie and I belive Fuso...

That would be a heck of a lot to leave all at once.....

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff

Wow, this will be an incredible signing for United!
One of my favourite players in the past but has struggled for form in the last couple of years - hence her leaving Lyon and now Arsenal. She hasn't been a first team regular at Arsenal.

Lovely player to watch when she is on form though. Hopefully if she comes, she can get back to something closer to her best.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
One of my favourite players in the past but has struggled for form in the last couple of years - hence her leaving Lyon and now Arsenal. She hasn't been a first time regular at either.

Lovely player to watch when she is on form though. Hopefully if she comes, she can get back to something closer to her best.
Yeah, I just hope that she can bounce in what is going to be a rejuvanted United women's team. Skinner's coached this team pretty well given how many quality players they basically lost, and it looks like they're targeting more experienced heads to lead the younger players in the team.

Lightbringer

One of my favourite players in the past but has struggled for form in the last couple of years - hence her leaving Lyon and now Arsenal. She hasn't been a first team regular at Arsenal.
Whats been the issue? Injuries? Lack of hunger? I see on twitter that people are saying Marc must be insane making this signing, and yet the player is on the english squad :D

brian017

Whats been the issue? Injuries? Lack of hunger? I see on twitter that people are saying Marc must be insane making this signing, and yet the player is on the english squad :D
Yeah. Initially I thought this was quite a coup for United then I saw comments that she didn't quite set the world on fire on her return to the WSL and Arsenal last season

croadyman

Yeah. Initially I thought this was quite a coup for United then I saw comments that she didn't quite set the world on fire on her return to the WSL and Arsenal last season
Sometimes a move can reignite a player