Film Wonder Woman 1984

RORY65

I liked the first one, apart from the last half an hour which is bad (as is the case in a lot of comic book movies as the final battle scenes are often quite tedious and go on for too long) but it was saved by the fact that the first 2/3's were enjoyable. This had the shitty ending but nothing before to save it, as has been noted it's really boring and really long. I'm not sure how you have a 2 and a half movie where none of the existing characters have any development (it feels like they just brought Chris Pine back because DC decided they'd made a balls up writing him out after only 1 movie), the new characters are thinly drawn out and the plot is so unengaging.

The decision to move it to HBO Max makes more sense now because I think the strangely positive reaction this movie has got is presumably in part due to people missing new movies and having the chance to see it at home feels like a treat, even some of the CGI like the lasso and the flying is shite but that's probably less of an issue on home TV's than it would have been on a big screen. The DCEU has generally been terrible and this was their one good character, the lead in the one good movie they've made (although Shazam was sort of fun I guess), and now they've fecked that up as well.

GiddyUp

DC or Warner bros need to tell the Snyders to feck off. They are pretty much ruining everything apart from Man of Steel. How do they think it is acceptable to put iconic characters on to the big screen like this?
I watched Justice League again because the youngest is getting in to super heroes. It gets worse every time, especially now after WW84. The whole franchise is a disjointed mess.

el3mel

I heard today the movie had a section supposedly happening in Egypt in the 80s, with clothes that don't match what people were wearing in this era but most importantly that we Oil and we were selling it to KSA? :lol: Absolute rubbish if true. Don't they have an Egyptian actor in the cast, Amr Waked, to tell them this is rubbish?

el3mel

On point about Gadot - even though I like her, she’s just a very average actress. Her beauty gives her a free pass almost.
Yes, she's a bang average actress from what I have seen in DC movies, but super heroes movies in general don't require top notch dramatic acting so it's always passable for me.

stevoc

Watched it last night and to be honest the whole thing is a bit meh, i liked the first one but this one meandered around for 2.5 hours without much happening. Some of the effects and fight scenes were a bit ropey which is a step down from the first one. Surely they could have also came up with better baddies for Wonder Woman than a disgruntled woman who hates men so wishes to turn into catwoman and a con man running a ponzi scheme?

Not seen much criticism about it but
when Wonder Womans boyfriend comes back in another mans body. She basically rapes him yes?

As she sleeps with this guy without his consent. Also before they find out that to stop the bad guy Maxwell they have to renounce all the wishes. Both Diana and Steve seemed ok with just keeping this guys body and basically stealing his life and effectively killing him?

Why didn't Steve just appear out of thin air like other things, having him come back in another mans body was a weird choice.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
This surely has to be a legitimate contender for worst super hero movie ever made. I see it somehow has 65% on rotten tomatoes, which I can only assume is rollover goodwill from the first movie. As a stand-alone I think it would genuinely score around 8%. It felt like some sort of a parody for the most part.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I thought Jenkins had been very shrewd with the previous entry, in constructing it entirely around Gadot’s weaknesses - making her a confused fish out of water so that her simplistic delivery came across as sincere naivety, and making the whole Amazonian supporting cast ape her accent rather than let her attempt one...and in fairness to her, this film massively backs up how smart a move that was! ‘Cos this one gives her stuff to actually act, and boy can she not do it!

Just a giant incoherent mess of a superhero film with hardly any superheroing, helmed by a lead actress that can’t act, a love interest that aggressively undermines both the film’s pseudo-feminism and its plot (why does he get zapped into the body of some rando, who Wonder Woman then essentially rapes, when the MaGuffin is shown repeatedly to be able to simply materialise shit!?) and a story-line that seems to have been written during an improv workshop, where the writers tried to out “yes, and...” the next escalating plot development rather than expand on anything they’d set up (Was the prologue where Diana was chastised for taking a short-cut from a completely different version of the film where not taking short cuts was actually a thematic element that carried through? Or did they just think the slide looked cool?!... or was the shortcut “dont wish your dead 70 year old boyfriend back to life to feck in the hollowed out husk of a yuppie, when you could maybe, I dunno, try and feck the actual yuppie??”... is that what that last scene was about!!??? I mean, it’s a stretch, admittedly.. but then, what WAS it about!? And why was it Christmas all of a sudden?? Or was that simply ash from the nuclear fallout of all those warheads exploding in the sky!?... does everyone remember all of this?? WHAT WAS HAPPENING!!!!?? )

Last edited:

Wedge

Supports
a soft spot for Ajax
Watched it yesterday and was bland and even for a superhero movie was nonsensical. Was somehow worse than the other one which if we're honest has one decent scene and that's the no mans land bit. Also using scores from other films is lazy, when she learns to fly they're playing the score from Danny Boyle's sunshine.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
DC's best film (Wonder Woman) would be a passable MARVEL one. That's what DC have to build on and, based on the views above regarding WW1984, seems like they haven't even managed to successfully do that.

Overall, DC basing their whole cinematic visual tone around Snyder's vision , which only really works with Batman, was such a bizarre route to take.
Batman himself is such a visual and tonal contrast to the majority of the other shiny and colourful DC characters (outside the bat Universe) that whenever you do a assemble film ,especially one directed by Snyder, it would always look out of place.
Going the route of a dark, grimy or grounded take on Supder-man, WW and Fish-man was also always going to be somewhat missing the point with the characters.

Last edited:

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There are so many worse comic book films.

Plus, Colin Farrell was amazing.

I confess that I've never sat down and watched the Daredevil movie in its entirety, though fans have continually said the longer and edited version is more watchable.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I confess that I've never sat down and watched the Daredevil movie in its entirety, though fans have continually said the longer and edited version is more watchable.
It's trash for sure but it's silly and fun and most certainly watchable.

Worth it just to see Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan hamming it up.

If you're looking for another The Dark Knight then don't bother!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I'm indifferent to TDK.
Personally always prefer Batman Begins out of the Nolan movies.

El-Manos

I didn't think it was terrible. I actually liked the Cheetah character despite the lack of originality. The music was good, I like the chemistry between Chris Pine and Gal Cadot. I liked the main villain as well. Just very cheesy at times, especially the end sequence. It's not as good as the first but it's a watchable film if you're stuck.

Andy_Cole

It's trash for sure but it's silly and fun and most certainly watchable.

Worth it just to see Farrell and Michael Clarke Duncan hamming it up.

If you're looking for another The Dark Knight then don't bother!
It’s very well casted isn’t it. What went wrong? Maybe the same cast in recent times (obviously if MCD was alive) would’ve fared better.

Adamsk7

If people are saying it’s not as good as the first then I am going to hate it because I thought the first one was pretty bad - it was actually decent up until the last 30 minutes but then it fell off a cliff for me and left a sour taste.

I’ll totally watch it though be cause I love the character and Gal Gadot is:drool:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If people are saying it’s not as good as the first then I am going to hate it because I thought the first one was pretty bad - it was actually decent up until the last 30 minutes but then it fell off a cliff for me and left a sour taste.

I’ll totally watch it though be cause I love the character and Gal Gadot is:drool:
You "love" Wonder Woman?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I thought it was terrible. I think the first WW movie is one of the best superhero movies, as well.

Adamsk7

You "love" Wonder Woman?
Yeah, I was a huge DC fan as a kid and at one point was training to be an artist with a view to draw comics. Even though I am male, Wonder Woman is probably one of the most enduring female role models and that should be appreciated.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Just a giant incoherent mess of a superhero film with hardly any superheroing
This had the shitty ending but nothing before to save it, as has been noted it's really boring and really long. I'm not sure how you have a 2 and a half movie where none of the existing characters have any development (it feels like they just brought Chris Pine back because DC decided they'd made a balls up writing him out after only 1 movie), the new characters are thinly drawn out and the plot is so unengaging.
Like most of you I fell asleep halfway. The setup was decent, Pedro Pascal had an interesting character, but then it just drags on and on.
Cancelled! Cancelled! Cancelled! None of you are free from cancellation!

Sylar

I was expecting something really really bad based on the comments here. It was fine but just a bit lon,g, where cutting maybe 30 minutes would have helped

I didn't think it was terrible. I actually liked the Cheetah character despite the lack of originality. The music was good, I like the chemistry between Chris Pine and Gal Cadot. I liked the main villain as well. Just very cheesy at times, especially the end sequence. It's not as good as the first but it's a watchable film if you're stuck.
Agree with most of this

Pedro was really hamming it up as max and I think it needed to be dialled back a bit

Also some of the graphics looked bad when they add CGI or similar. They aren't doing well with it

Sylar

Also recently learnedthat the CGI fight at the end wasn't Patty's idea. It was added / pushed on by WB who wanted it, that's why it felt out of place from the direction of the rest of that movie

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
DC or Warner bros need to tell the Snyders to feck off. They are pretty much ruining everything apart from Man of Steel. How do they think it is acceptable to put iconic characters on to the big screen like this?
I watched Justice League again because the youngest is getting in to super heroes. It gets worse every time, especially now after WW84. The whole franchise is a disjointed mess.
The Snyders already fecked off. This is the work of Geoff Johns and Patty Jenkins.

Sylar

I heard today the movie had a section supposedly happening in Egypt in the 80s, with clothes that don't match what people were wearing in this era but most importantly that we Oil and we were selling it to KSA? :lol: Absolute rubbish if true. Don't they have an Egyptian actor in the cast, Amr Waked, to tell them this is rubbish?
Just saw this whole scene again and it seems to get worse. The whole her running faster than the car just looked atrocious for a big budget company. Like it was added last second
You could probably take the whole thing out and it wouldn't affect the movie much.

@stevoc agree with what you said with regards to Steve
the movie had license to do anything ultimately so having Steve just appear would have been forgivable and more accepted than what they did and went it. Was a bizarre choice

I think one thing that annoyed me is the lack of 80s songs they played especially given the vast choice available

stevoc

Also recently learnedthat the CGI fight at the end wasn't Patty's idea. It was added / pushed on by WB who wanted it, that's why it felt out of place from the direction of the rest of that movie
It wasn't a great fight scene but i can understand why WB pushed for its inclusion if they did. Without it Wonder Woman wouldn't have actually did much fighting over the 2 and a half hours runtime.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Was more of a badly shot, silly/soppy 80’s teeny romcom/drama - with some random action scenes thrown in, then it was what you’d expect from a WW superhero movie.

stevoc

Just saw this whole scene again and it seems to get worse. The whole her running faster than the car just looked atrocious for a big budget company. Like it was added last second
You could probably take the whole thing out and it wouldn't affect the movie much.

@stevoc agree with what you said with regards to Steve
the movie had license to do anything ultimately so having Steve just appear would have been forgivable and more accepted than what they did and went it. Was a bizarre choice

I think one thing that annoyed me is the lack of 80s songs they played especially given the vast choice available
Yeah that was a strange choice for me also, to be honest there was very little reason it was set in the 80's at all beyond a few point and laugh at how silly the 80's were moments.

And yeah almost all the WW action scenes were terrible compared to the first film. That shopping mall scene at the start felt like she was floating around with no weight, and the rope is now a magic can do anything tool that turns her into Spiderman.

The more i think about it the whole movie is a glaring example of terrible writing and when i found out it was the first (and only second) movie Jenkins had written in almost 20 years it made more sense. How the rape stuff slipped by WB chiefs in the current climate is baffling.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Yeah that was a strange choice for me also, to be honest there was very little reason it was set in the 80's at all beyond a few point and laugh at how silly the 80's were moments.

And yeah almost all the WW action scenes were terrible compared to the first film. That shopping mall scene at the start felt like she was floating around with no weight, and the rope is now a magic can do anything tool that turns her into Spiderman.

The more i think about it the whole movie is a glaring example of terrible writing and when i found out it was the first (and only second) movie Jenkins had written in almost 20 years it made more sense. How the rape stuff slipped by WB chiefs in the current climate is baffling.
Haven't watched it. Was there a rape scene?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
If a ghost takes over control of your body and that ghost has consensual sex with Wonder Woman, did you get raped?
Well, I didn't give consent. But then again, how did the ghost take control over my body in the first place?