Film Wonder Woman 1984

InfiniteBoredom

Thought it was genuinely atrocious. It boggles the mind that DC has arguably a greater pool of source material to draw from compared to Marvel yet they keep fecking it up. This would be the worst film in the MCU by a country mile if you ask me, and despite all the praise it got upon release the first WW would be a bottom 5 MCU film given how mind numbingly stupid its 3rd act was.

DC needs to find their Feige; until then they'll just be spinning their wheels.
Snyder is their Feige, which is the problem.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Noticeable to date.. it's like the studio made a policy decision at the outset, to be different, puts a depressing tone on them. Marvel films have them as they were?
It's bizarre. I understand Batman and Gotham being dark but they advertised this movie with this sort of imagery...

Is there anything that vibrant in the movie? I don't get it, Superman and Wonder Woman should be popping with colour.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Noticeable to date.. it's like the studio made a policy decision at the outset, to be different, puts a depressing tone on them. Marvel films have them as they were?
It's bizarre. I understand Batman and Gotham being dark but they advertised this movie with this sort of imagery...

Is there anything that vibrant in the movie? I don't get it, Superman and Wonder Woman should be popping with colour.
It puts me off a lot of modern cinema - that flushed out colour you get from digital cameras. If I see a trailer where everything looks grey or brown I immediately think it'll be a box office bomb unless it gets rave reviews. Marvel had the right idea and I think they have the same person recolour all of their movies, which is why they all have the same look.

On another note; they also give their composers strict instruction in terms of instrumentation, tonality etc.

stevoc

Thought it was genuinely atrocious. It boggles the mind that DC has arguably a greater pool of source material to draw from compared to Marvel yet they keep fecking it up. This would be the worst film in the MCU by a country mile if you ask me, and despite all the praise it got upon release the first WW would be a bottom 5 MCU film given how mind numbingly stupid its 3rd act was.

And they need to find them soon if they are serious about releasing 6 DC movies a year.

https://ew.com/movies/warner-bros-superhero-movie-plan/

AaronRedDevil

No offence. But I’m getting tired of seeing that all men are the problem in movie. Every man is a total piece of shit and Rapey as feck. Seems like every movie, a female director, turns men in high positions into idiots and the latter. It’s getting tired. Even the intro to WW 84, every man is the cause of all bad, yet the girl thieves she lets go. It’s getting pathetic at this point. Every time they go in with this mentality, the movie flops. It’s blatant sexism, the very thing women are fighting against:lol:

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap

Snyder is their Feige, which is the problem.
fecking hell, this is so spot on it hurts. You've absolutely nailed the issue. Can't believe this hasn't occurred to a studio spending billions to produce dogshit consistently.
Snyder co wrote the first movie, that everyone liked. He had nothing to do with this one. The writing was Geoff Johns and Patty Jenkins. The time for blaming Snyder is long gone, as he is from his duties since 2016 when Geoff Johns and Jon Berg took over as the heads of the DCCU. After the failure of justice league, Berg stepped down in 2018. It was at that point that Diane Nelson(president of DC entertainment at the time)said: "Our intention, certainly, moving forward is using the continuity to help make sure nothing is diverging in a way that doesn't make sense, but there's no insistence upon an overall storyline or interconnectivity in that universe... Moving forward, you'll see the DC movie universe being a universe, but one that comes from the heart of the filmmaker who's creating them.". Then in 2018 Walter Hamada stepped into the role vacated by Berg. Not long after that Chantal Nong joined as the president of DC films and both were to help Johns with the running of the franchise. Johns then stepped down mid 2018 to focus on producing and writing. After Aquaman became a hit, WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara doubled down on the movies being focused on individual stories and not interconnectivity. Which I guess explains why wonder woman "stepped away from humanity 100 years ago" but was also saving little girls in malls in 1984.

In any case, Synder has nothing to do with franchise running anymore. If you want to point a finger at someone its this guy

Rustyspider13

What a disappointment this movie was. WW wasn't a top tier comic book movie but it was perfectly competent and had the great no man's land scene. This one felt like it made up its plot as it went along. I won't post spoilers but I saw no point of it being set in 1984, in fact it would've been better if it was set in modern times considering how technology is used here. The resolution made no sense to me at all.

Can't believe I thought this would be better than Black Widow. BW will have to be near unwatchable to be worse. All hope on Wandavision for my next comic book entertainment fix.

Sylar

I don't think they can salvage the DCCU
Unless they do Flashpoint and start again from scratch

And before doing it they need a long term plan which for some reason they want to market themselves as (not marvel) rather than relying on the gallery of top notch villains they have which would make for great super hero stories

The two villains in this movie was a man who let power get to him and then got a quick redemption arc (did anything happen as a result of what he did)
And a woman who is a villain cos she was fed up of being sexually harassed by a man who couldn't take a hint?

No offence. But I’m getting tired of seeing that all men are the problem in movie. Every man is a total piece of shit and Rapey as feck. Seems like every movie, a female director, turns men in high positions into idiots and the latter. It’s getting tired. Even the intro to WW 84, every man is the cause of all bad, yet the girl thieves she lets go. It’s getting pathetic at this point. Every time they go in with this mentality, the movie flops. It’s blatant sexism, the very thing women are fighting against:lol:
Movies aren't subtle with this either. It can be done well but its too OTT to the point it comes of as a parody (eg that scene with the female villain jogging and every single person she passes just happens to be a guy and each guy says something inappropriate)

arthurka

Gal is as beautiful as they come but God damn this isn't even close to be salvageable by it. Terrible movie and characters drab is probably the best word for it. Not funny, not clever and absolutely not well written. My 13 year old son gave up after 45min.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That was one of the worst films I've watched in a while. I liked the first film, there were some really decent scenes in it and the message was generally positive. This film though, what the feck was that? Actually shameful at points and such a tedious film throughout.

I'm actually embarrassed for the actors. Bizarre.

el3mel

I have just watched it. I honestly don't think it's terrible to the point of being unwatachable, but it's an average or above average movie overall.

The main problem is its length. 2.5 hours for such plot was a pretty terrible idea, because the plot is pretty hollow and got dragged to hell by the Cheetah origin story and how it collides with Max Lord's plan. This resulted in a full first hour which is nothing but a very long prologue for the second half, and a pretty boring one too. Barely anything happens in this first hour. This affected the movie in general, as the pacing was terrible thanks to that and how the story moved on from such prologue made no sense, then the conclusion was terrible, unfortunately. That speech by Wonder Woman was awful.

The overall idea of the story was promising and in my own opinion in the hands of a better writer we could have got a much better, and more coherent short movie of about 2 hours max (or even less than that) which can be considered another pop corn 7/10 superhero movie from DC like Shazam or Birds of Prey, which while had their share of problems, they just knew what they want to be, a pop corn silly movie to entertain viewers and nothing else, but the writer didn't know how to write a story with proper pacing and just needed this movie to be bigger than it should have been. They took a pretty hollow plot and wanted to write an epic movie about it. Well, it backfired, and since they tried so hard for it to be more epic than this plot can handle, they have to be judged by their same standards.

But it still has some decent action scenes to be fair and some dialogues between Diana and Steve were fun to listen to. I liked how Cheetah was presented and how her character gradually progressed from a normal woman to a villain, but it should have been in another movie dictated for her to be honest. She was shoehorned here to drag the plot, or, uh, just scrap this entire plot and made this movie all about Cheetah ? Seems to me it would have been a better idea.

One thing I liked was that

they damn made Wonder Woman fly at the end. Throughout the whole movie I was thinking why the hell this version of the character can't fly like the comics or the Justice League animation. Well, good thing someone thought of the same thing while working on this!

However, I can't shake the feeling this version of Wonder Woman seems to be pretty nerfed ? I swear she's 10 times stronger than this in both the comics and animation. This one struggles to repel the bullets and doesn't seem to be in any way or shape a master martial artist or a war machine like I have always imagined the character. She honestly looks pathetic in most fights especially in the final fighting scenes.

Anyway, I'll give this a 6/10, it's watchable and still fun enough to pass some time, but I hope whoever wrote this doesn't write the next movie.

Red_toad

That was one of the worst films I've watched in a while. I liked the first film, there were some really decent scenes in it and the message was generally positive. This film though, what the feck was that? Actually shameful at points and such a tedious film throughout.

I'm actually embarrassed for the actors. Bizarre.
Part where she flicks her wings off that amour in fight with Cheetah, oh my lord :drool:

I still can't come to terms with the flying bits, I mean why? They went on forever. A decent director and we'd have had a good film that lasted about 90 minutes.

Sylar

However, I can't shake the feeling this version of Wonder Woman seems to be pretty nerfed ? I swear she's 10 times stronger than this in both the comics and animation. This one struggles to repel the bullets and doesn't seem to be in any way or shape a master martial artist or a war machine like I have always imagined the character. She honestly looks pathetic in most fights especially in the final fighting scenes.
Wasn't the bullet issue due to her making a wish and thus losing part of her magic?
Otherwise she had no issues other times

I do like (not really) how she can make things invisible yet doesn't once use that in bvs or justice League
(Another issue with working backwards the way dccu have done)

el3mel

Wasn't the bullet issue due to her making a wish and thus losing part of her magic?

I do like (not really) how she can make things invisible yet doesn't once use that in bvs or justice League
Her bracelets do still repel bullets in this, but she doesn't seem to move her arms in any way or shape fast enough like the comics or animation, maybe it's the stone's effect, I don't know, but beside that, she just doesn't show much of martial arts mastery in combat. This version of the character seems to be way too reliant on the lasso in all her fights, even during the mall "fight" scene at the start against some random thugs.

As for the final fight :

It was extremely disappointing. They hyped this armor so much earlier in the movie, and the end result? The armor barely did anything. The fight with Cheetah lasted for few seconds in which the wings of the armor was destroyed, and ended with her getting shocked by electricity in water, then she still got done by Max's powers in the next scene, and had to resort to an awful speech begging everyone in the world to renounce the wish because it's better for them, and sure every single person in the entire world who listened to her actually agreed and renounced the wish!

Why hype this armor as if it's something that is going to boost her powers, and put it on the official covers and trailers everywhere, when it ends up with absolutely no benefit in the last fight? She could have just went to the last fight wearing her usual outfit and nothing would have changed.

Cheetah just doesn't serve any purpose in this movie bar dragging the plot and finding something for Diana to fight in the end and they didn't even do it right

Oldyella

That just sums DC up so far. Stuff just makes o sense. Marvel worked backwards too but everything was tightly plotted.

Maybe if they are now focusing on stand alone movies we wont see the same issues any more, but the movies need to be a lot better than this one.

Sylar

That just sums DC up so far. Stuff just makes o sense. Marvel worked backwards too but everything was tightly plotted.

Maybe if they are now focusing on stand alone movies we wont see the same issues any more, but the movies need to be a lot better than this one.
By backwards I meant they did team ups and then the origin stuff which takes stakes away but yeah, there was no plan with snyder except which shot would look great in a trailer

I've kinda given up on a universe even though marvel gave them a free blueprint.
I just want great individual movies but we've had maybe three fun / good movies and the rest undewhelming

Sylar

Her bracelets do still repel bullets in this, but she doesn't seem to move her arms in any way or shape fast enough like the comics or animation, maybe it's the stone's effect, I don't know, but beside that, she just doesn't show much of martial arts mastery in combat. This version of the character seems to be way too reliant on the lasso in all her fights, even during the mall "fight" scene at the start against some random thugs.

As for the final fight :

It was extremely disappointing. They hyped this armor so much earlier in the movie, and the end result? The armor barely did anything. The fight with Cheetah lasted for few seconds in which the wings of the armor was destroyed, and ended with her getting shocked by electricity in water, then she still got done by Max's powers in the next scene, and had to resort to an awful speech begging everyone in the world to renounce the wish because it's better for them, and sure every single person in the entire world who listened to her actually agreed and renounced the wish!

Why hype this armor as if it's something that is going to boost her powers, and put it on the official covers and trailers everywhere, when it ends up with absolutely no benefit in the last fight? She could have just went to the last fight wearing her usual outfit and nothing would have changed.

Cheetah just doesn't serve any purpose in this movie bar dragging the plot and finding something for Diana to fight in the end and they didn't even do it right

Yeah there's a big reliance on the lasso. I'm not fussed about the martial arts as they got to play to Gals strengths but this movie helped expose some of her weaknesses

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Currently watching. Shockingly terrible.

Dialogue is terrible and everyone's forgotten how to act.

Saving grace is Gal Gadot. Not her acting mind.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Finally found time to watch it. One of the worst big budget films I've ever seen. Millions of dollars went into making that script, and not one person objected?

They must be relieved cinemas are closed. And how the f*ck is it positive on RT?! Who LIKED that garbage?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Watched this at the weekend and was very disappointed - it was a mess of a movie, over long and quite boring in parts.

decorativeed

So so so bad. That second half was an absolute tragedy for me.
This comment is deeply worrying given I'm only halfway through it currently. The first 5 minutes make the opening of Superman 3 look like a masterpiece. The rest has been godawful.

And Kristen Wiig's character should have been fired before the whole thing got started. As a museum professional myself, I couldn't believe the scant regard for the objects she had. No gloves, no paperwork, no loan forms. Disgraceful.

Edit: Just finished it, and it really isn't very good, is it? Can't really believe it has the old 'geeky woman removes glasses and suddenly everyone finds her attractive' trope in it. Expected more given the director and the fact it was made this century.

Last edited:

Andersons Dietician

I see a new contender has entered the arena to be hailed as the worst piece of crap DC has produced in recent memory. Even with such stiff competition as Batman vs Superman, Aquaman, Suicide Squad, Justice league, this garbage stands head and shoulders above even those.

Seriosuly I’ve sat through some utter crap on Netflix and Amazon during lockdown just to have something to entertain myself. I’ve watched entire series of dross but nothing, nothing felt as long as the torture Wonder Woman 1984 just inflicted upon me.

Terrible.

decorativeed

I see a new contender has entered the arena to be hailed as the worst piece of crap DC has produced in recent memory. Even with such stiff competition as Batman vs Superman, Aquaman, Suicide Squad, Justice league, this garbage stands head and shoulders above even those.

Seriosuly I’ve sat through some utter crap on Netflix and Amazon during lockdown just to have something to entertain myself. I’ve watched entire series of dross but nothing, nothing felt as long as the torture Wonder Woman 1984 just inflicted upon me.

Terrible.
I'm not sure. It's crap, dreadful crap. But is it as bad as BvS? I've not seen suicide squad, so can't say if that's worse. Aquaman was a turd too, hard to say that's any better than this.

The DC movies are just a pile of shite really, with the exception of Shazam. And I'm not one of those Marvel v DC guys, I like both sets of characters, so I think it's a shame they've spent so much time and money turning out this sludge.

Hoping Gunn can turn things around, as the trailer for his Suicide Squad looks intriguing.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The story is really, really, REALLY bad. I mean BvS was awful but at least the plot of semi coherent, it was just dull and dumb. WW84 is just... I don't really understand what they were doing with it. I don't understand how they butchered her character too, I mean, in the first film she was all about saving the people and putting her own interests to one side in the pursuit of saving humanity. In this film she puts her own interests first for the majority of the film due to some forced love story.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I don't mind the dark tone. It just isn't a very good film.

I feel like superhero films as daft as they are, still have limits with suspension of disbelief, which this film just decided to dance all over, and yet in spite of that still managed to come up with a plot that was completely generic and uninteresting. I mean I can't see how anyone could have come up with the plot for this film and not thought it would be rubbish and ridiculous.

Probably not as bad as Justice League or Martha Vs Martha, but not much better either.

At least Aquaman was enjoyably shite.