Woodward - Big-Money Transfer Talk Ignores Financial Reality

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
If we only sign 4 players like this season and they do as well as the 4 players this season we will be much improved again. For once I have faith that at least the players we do buy won’t be flops. We don’t need to spend massively we just need to spend right.

Having said that if Sancho is the only player we buy I’d be content.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I genuinely believe when it comes to financial realities, Ed Woodward definitely knows something, perhaps something that we're not anticipating yet, but it will be revealed in upcoming months.

If United by signing players can save someone's situation then can't wait for the summer, but Ed still have Glazers above him and that's the biggest uncertainty and we all know reality can change at fast rate these days.

Anyway, I expect him to talk more before window will actually start so might hear all kinds of stories, but for now I'll hold to suggested two targets that are in the media often. If we'll manage to get only them then it still will be an upgrade.

Icemav

He's not wrong though.
No he's not. Also it puts out a signal that our clubs is not going to be anybody's cash cow during this time of revenue destruction. If struggling clubs want to raise money through player sales and lighten their wage book then they will have to do so within the current reality. Slapping 100+million price tags on every hyped player will not work. Bruno Fernandes is our ballpark kind of deal for a top talent.

Cliche Guevara

We keep being told he is succesful in finance by people who have no idea if he is or not or what that even means.

When it comes to transfers and transfer value he has an extremely documented public history with us of having absolutely no idea what he is doing.

You are saying you don't get the criticism of someone who paid £4m OVER Fellaini's buyout clause, in order to sign him 2 months too late. This same man who anyone is supposed to pay attention to when he starts talking about the value of transfers...
I did wonder if the goalposts would be moved and here they have.

Woodward was talking about the financial impact of Covid which is absolutely his business strength. It has nothing to do with individual player valuations. One of the more common criticisms of him is we overpay for players in any event, so if he’s saying we’ll be paying less I’d tend to believe him.

So Woodward is saying Covid will significantly impact finances in football which will, in turn, see substantial reductions on player valuations and consequently transfer fees. Including at United.

Your criticism is what: there won’t be a financial impact on football, or player valuations won’t drop, or all clubs including United won’t spend less on transfer fees?

wolvored

True, we will likely be earning less, but that discounts two factors:

a) our commercial activities have insulated us against the current financial crisis which has dogged everyone else; &
b) we actually have a lot of cash reserves in the bank, which most clubs don't have to the same degree.

And that's before we factor in the fees we're due for Lukaku and a few others we've let go over the past few years. We also haven't spent anywhere near our cap since 2017 (when we bought Lukaku: 80m, Matic: 40m, and Lindelof: 30m; and then Sanchez in the January of that season). Even taking in to account Bruno signing in January, there's still at least two further big name signings we can afford, even if the market wasn't depressed as it likely will be.

If there is any degree of truth to what Woodward said, I'd think it was more in line to the rumours surrounding Kane coming, rather than Sancho or Grealish. Plus, what Woodward said directly contradicts Ole's remarks, as well as the various murmurings from club sources to the journalists who actually have a line at the club such as Whitwell, Mitten, Ornstein, etc. Namely, that Utd feel that they are in a good enough position to get the players that they need to get, and that they have been using this time off to scout further and exploit the opportunities that could be presented.

I really do think we have enough wherewithal to conduct the transfers that we have earmarked for the last couple of seasons. Someone like Sancho, for example, I can't imagine us being put off because of the current climate. Not when he's been on our wish list for as long as he has been and both himself and Dortmund are seemingly more than open to a move.
This is what we owe

Cliche Guevara

Funny because I remember them saying we had to sell before we bought because we had to pay for Maguire and AWB up front (shite).

Now we’re in a ‘perilous position’ because we have spread transfer payments out over a number of years.

I wish these journalists would just feck off. Lucky for them there is zero quality control.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Oh I get that and in fact the transfers I mentioned are young players with the potential to be WC. Sir Alex used to use this strategy as well with the likes of Butt, Phil Nev, Oshea and co providing bodies to the team while money was spent on the first team when needed. Unfortunately the league is becoming more competitive with Dubai and now Saudi coming into scene + Sir Alex was always given the resources to buy top players like Rooney and Rio if he wanted to. Can you see us do the same with a 60-70m net per year unless of course we sell players first?

Hence why, considering the limitations imposed on us by the Glazers, I feel we should shift to an Arsenal way of doing things ie buy young players and develop them into stars. If they end up feeling that the club is not ambitious enough then they move elsewhere for big money which in return will give us more money to buy new young players etc. Jovic, Torres, Achraf and Odegaard all fit that perfectly alongside the likes we already have like Mejbri, Greenwood, Rashford, AWB and Henderson. Our owners can't even afford paying their debt. In fact we're only paying the interest. These are business men not supporters. All they understand is profit. You can't expect to make as much profit as possible while concurrently be competitive against the likes of Dubai and Saudi. Hence we need to aim for the achievable, something that strike the perfect balance between making as much money as humanely possible without spending ridiculous money in achieving that ie top 4.
If Sancho is available, honestly doesn't mean we can't sign him. Let's say if Sancho cost 100m, while Dalot is reported to go to PSG for 30m. That's pretty much 70m net.

I'm not sure why can't we sign young player with the potential to be WC with Glazer in charge with only 60m-70m net per year? Are you expecting us to sign 3 young player with potential to be WC per season? Because that's non-sense if you really think so. We signed Rio in 02/03, we signed Ronaldo in 03/04 and we signed Rooney in 04/05. None of them were signed within a season. At the end of the day it's step by step.

Prior Ole took in charge, our top problem was the poor recruitment & the strategy of the recruitment, we wasted all the money that was provided. Ever since Ole took in charge, the recruitment probably been the massive difference. We signed players who wants to play for the club, believe with the project as well as targeting young player with potential to be WC. Sancho is a young player with the potential to be WC, and ever since last season to now, all sources said he's been our main target.

Of course there is a limit of how much we can spend. However, I also believe we can exceed the limit if our top targets are available, this also be the difference that we are not being in rush in our signing and forcing ourselves to sign player that doesn't meet our profile/criteria just because we couldn't get the main target. We could sign Sancho last summer and exceed the 60m-70m net in one summer window, but we didn't because he wasn't available.

However, we did exceed this 60m-70m this season.
Maguire (80m), Bissaka (50m), Bruno (50m), James (15m) = 195m
Lukaku (70m), Smalling (2.5m Loan), Darmian (2m) Young (1.5m) = 76m

Last edited:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I suspect a lot of it is just bluffing on Woodward's part - nobody wants to go out saying "We are going to be splashing the cash, we have money to spend!" - the other clubs will instantly double their prices (not to mention the agents).

Thing is, all clubs are in the same situation at the moment. Big clubs like United can arguably afford the loss of revenue - we have cash reserves, we have merchandising sales and sponsorships. Smaller clubs (and I dont mean non-league, I mean anyone outside ~the top 6 PL teams) are the ones that will be struggling, especially those who have been signing big players and paying big wages in an effort for promotion/avoid relegation/whatever. I think this could be the summer where we see some firesales - clubs needing to get high earners off their wage bills, and raise some capital to cover costs. Bigger players from smaller clubs (the likes of Grealish, Neves or half the West Ham squad) could prove to be bargain signings this summer, or whenever the transfer window ends up being.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
If Sancho is available, honestly doesn't mean we can't sign him. Let's say if Sancho cost 100m, while Dalot is reported to go to PSG for 30m. That's pretty much 70m net.

I'm not sure why can't we sign young player with the potential to be WC with Glazer in charge with only 60m-70m net per year? Are you expecting us to sign 3 young player with potential to be WC per season? Because that's non-sense if you really think so. We signed Rio in 02/03, we signed Ronaldo in 03/04 and we signed Rooney in 04/05. None of them were signed within a season. At the end of the day it's step by step.

Prior Ole took in charge, our top problem was the poor recruitment & the strategy of the recruitment, we wasted all the money that was provided. Ever since Ole took in charge, the recruitment probably been the massive difference. We signed players who wants to play for the club, believe with the project as well as targeting young player with potential to be WC. Sancho is a young player with the potential to be WC, and ever since last season to now, all sources said he's been our main target.

Of course there is a limit of how much we can spend. However, I also believe we can exceed the limit if our top targets are available, this also be the difference that we are not being in rush in our signing and forcing ourselves to sign player that doesn't meet our profile/criteria just because we couldn't get the main target. We could sign Sancho last summer and exceed the 60m-70m net in one summer window, but we didn't because he wasn't available.

However, we did exceed this 60m-70m this season.
Maguire (80m), Bissaka (50m), Bruno (50m), James (15m) = 195m
Lukaku (70m), Smalling (2.5m Loan), Darmian (2m) Young (1.5m) = 76m
As said by ole himself, Bruno took a chunk of this year's budget. Anyway, taking the coronavirus issue aside, player's fees are on the rise. 60m net spend per year won't get you far. Meanwhile Newcastle are set to be bought by Saudi which would add to yet another club having nearly unlimited funds. That will surely raise the quality of the league. I can't help thinking how a club whose owners siphoned 1 billion pounds away from it can compete with clubs like that. These guys are struggling in paying for OT's roofs repair let alone paying the money needed to have a squad that can seriously compete for the EPL title.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As said by ole himself, Bruno took a chunk of this year's budget. Anyway, taking the coronavirus issue aside, player's fees are on the rise. 60m net spend per year won't get you far. Meanwhile Newcastle are set to be bought by Saudi which would add to yet another club having nearly unlimited funds. That will surely raise the quality of the league. I can't help thinking how a club whose owners siphoned 1 billion pounds away from it can compete with clubs like that. These guys are struggling in paying for OT's roofs repair let alone paying the money needed to have a squad that can seriously compete for the EPL title.
I'm not sure whether you even read my post or no. I already mentioned two things to you but you ignored them.

If 60m-70m net spend is what you are looking for then we can still get a young player with potential to be world class. Sancho is linked with us around 100m. Dalot who barely even play this season is linked with PSG for 30m. While we should be able to get something from Lingard & Smalling.

We can always exceed our budget to get our top priority target, and then after another or two summer transfer window, the club probably won't even spend a penny for once. It's like what Liverpool did when they were heavy spending on Van Dijk, Fabinho & Allisson in a year, they spent nothing in the next following summer transfer window.

Get into the reality. The best way is not about spending big in single transfer window but spend the money wisely on players that can meet the criteria step by step. We didn't sign Rooney, Ronaldo, Rio & Carrick in a single transfer window or a year. Liverpool also didn't sign Mane, Salah & Van Dijk in a single transfer window to catch City. This is also where we can use our time of developing and improving our young players such as Martial, Bissaka Rashford and etc as well as the youth such as Williams, Greenwood and etc.

padzilla

Hipster
Didn't Fernandes come out of the 20/21 budget? Can't see us going on a spree after that. ed likes to spend big one season and then do very little the next few windows.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'm not sure whether you even read my post or no. I already mentioned two things to you but you ignored them.

If 60m-70m net spend is what you are looking for then we can still get a young player with potential to be world class. Sancho is linked with us around 100m. Dalot who barely even play this season is linked with PSG for 30m. While we should be able to get something from Lingard & Smalling.

We can always exceed our budget to get our top priority target, and then after another or two summer transfer window, the club probably won't even spend a penny for once. It's like what Liverpool did when they were heavy spending on Van Dijk, Fabinho & Allisson in a year, they spent nothing in the next following summer transfer window.

Get into the reality. The best way is not about spending big in single transfer window but spend the money wisely on players that can meet the criteria step by step. We didn't sign Rooney, Ronaldo, Rio & Carrick in a single transfer window or a year. Liverpool also didn't sign Mane, Salah & Van Dijk in a single transfer window to catch City. This is also where we can use our time of developing and improving our young players such as Martial, Bissaka Rashford and etc as well as the youth such as Williams, Greenwood and etc.
As Ole said, part of Fernandes fee comes from this summer's transfer budget.

Now let's tackle it part by part shall we?

What makes you think that Dalot or Lingard would go for 30m+. The former had barely ever played while the latter has been crap for nearly 2 years now.

Not if we're sticking to the 60m-70m net spend. Squads are a living organism. Players grow old, they lose motivation and injuries do happen. Money will need to be spent on maintaining the squad you've already got. Also fees had gone to the roof. A young Rio or a young Rooney would probably cost 100m+. We can't expect United to first sell before even contemplating signing such signings unless of course we're happy with a 3rd-6th place role.

That's exactly what I am doing. With Shitty and soon Newcastle having near unlimited money the EPL's level will go up even further which is bad news for Liverpool whose already got a decent squad and a nightmare scenario for a club like ours who do not have a competitive side and therefore need a rebuild. 60m net might make financial sense, considering that our owners keep bleeding the club out of money and can't afford repairing OT roof or paying the debt they have put us into. However when one considers the serious rebuild we need it won't be enough to seriously compete for the league. We're putting Ole in a worse position than Sir Alex was. Alex was a far better manager then Ole was, he didn't had to compete with 2 clubs with near unlimited transfer budget, he had more money to spend (relatively speaking) especially when a top talent was available, most of our owners weren't bleeding the club the way the Glazers are doing and he worked with far better CEOs then the banker is.

Thus unless something extraordinary happens were nearly all signings made turned into top quality players, our manager turn out to be a genius and we have a number of kids who become WC then our aim must be top 4. Our transfer strategy needs to change. Our aim should be that of buying young players with huge resale value that will leave at a profit once their patience with us not winning trophies run thin. That will provide us with more money to invest on other kids whom will hopefully take us and keep us to a top 4 spot. We've already moving towards that sort of scenario with AWB, James and to a lesser extent Bruno Fernandes. MUFC is already accepting that role. In fact its a known secret that as long as top 4 is reached the United manager's role is safe. Such situation would have been unthinkable few years ago when United's aim was to win trophies.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
As Ole said, part of Fernandes fee comes from this summer's transfer budget.

Now let's tackle it part by part shall we?

What makes you think that Dalot or Lingard would go for 30m+. The former had barely ever played while the latter has been crap for nearly 2 years now.

Not if we're sticking to the 60m-70m net spend. Squads are a living organism. Players grow old, they lose motivation and injuries do happen. Money will need to be spent on maintaining the squad you've already got. Also fees had gone to the roof. A young Rio or a young Rooney would probably cost 100m+. We can't expect United to first sell before even contemplating signing such signings unless of course we're happy with a 3rd-6th place role.

That's exactly what I am doing. With Shitty and soon Newcastle having near unlimited money the EPL's level will go up even further which is bad news for Liverpool whose already got a decent squad and a nightmare scenario for a club like ours who do not have a competitive side and therefore need a rebuild. 60m net might make financial sense, considering that our owners keep bleeding the club out of money and can't afford repairing OT roof or paying the debt they have put us into. However when one considers the serious rebuild we need it won't be enough to seriously compete for the league. We're putting Ole in a worse position than Sir Alex was. Alex was a far better manager then Ole was, he didn't had to compete with 2 clubs with near unlimited transfer budget, he had more money to spend (relatively speaking) especially when a top talent was available, most of our owners weren't bleeding the club the way the Glazers are doing and he worked with far better CEOs then the banker is.

Thus unless something extraordinary happens were nearly all signings made turned into top quality players, our manager turn out to be a genius and we have a number of kids who become WC then our aim must be top 4. Our transfer strategy needs to change. Our aim should be that of buying young players with huge resale value that will leave at a profit once their patience with us not winning trophies run thin. That will provide us with more money to invest on other kids whom will hopefully take us and keep us to a top 4 spot. We've already moving towards that sort of scenario with AWB, James and to a lesser extent Bruno Fernandes. MUFC is already accepting that role. In fact its a known secret that as long as top 4 is reached the United manager's role is safe. Such situation would have been unthinkable few years ago when United's aim was to win trophies.
Even when going part by part you still failed to even read the post. You don't need me to repeat them 10x until you can read them right?

I already mentioned that Dalot is currently linked to PSG for 30m fees. We can also get some money from Lingard & Smalling. No one said we can get 30m from Lingard.

This 60m-70m a must per year is total non-sense. Why every source said that Sancho is United no 1 priority, he'll cost massive. If the player is available then United will be allowed to exceed the budget, and then after another or two summer transfer window, the club probably won't even spend a penny for once just like what Liverpool did after heavily spent on Van Dijk, Allison & Fabinho, they spend zero in the next summer. There is no different if the club spend total 210m in 3 years (70m each year) with club spend total 210m in 3 years (140m in first year, 70m in 2nd year & nothing in 3rd year).

The fact that you still don't understand what's the only way available & the realistic way for United get into the winning way shows you are not get into the reality. Liverpool didn't sign Mane, Salah & Van Dijk in one year together to catch City. It took Liverpool under Klopp 5 years of transfer windows to do it.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Why do people give any credibility to what club presidents or CEOs say regarding transfers? Every year we see clubs saying we won't sell X player for whatever price, only to sell them a week or two later. "Reliable journalists" will claim a deal will be done only for it to never happen. People need to stop reading into any comments made regarding the transfer market, nearly all of it are lies or misinformation.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I don't think that there will be much spending this summer by any club.
I think that our plan is to keep current squad, sell Rojo, Jones and Smalling, give Pogba new contract and try to sign Sancho for "normal" fee.
So our transfer activity will be Sancho or nobody.

And tbh, i would be happy with that. We have excellent squad now. We need only that right winger

JohnnyKills

I don't think that there will be much spending this summer by any club.
I think that our plan is to keep current squad, sell Rojo, Jones and Smalling, give Pogba new contract and try to sign Sancho for "normal" fee.
So our transfer activity will be Sancho or nobody.

And tbh, i would be happy with that. We have excellent squad now. We need only that right winger
Agreed. We're in a good position.