Woodward (old thread)

Should Studward remain as CE of Manchester United?

• No - he should be sacked also.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Yes - he should stay.

Votes: 137 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
I think after that first game, i expect Van Gaal to speed up the process of getting rid of the deadwood soon and bringing in players (hopefully).

Its a pity we had to lose 3 points before they get their act in gear. Those three points might prove vital.

Any player signed this week, depending on condition, most likely will not play in the next game. This is a crazy situation.

If we were to lose 6 points, my prediction is, we will struggle to make top 5.

Drummer

I didn't know that. Who have we officially been trying to sign?
LVG knew in USA the positions needed to fill. Hell, anybody with a brain knew united were at the very least going to need at least one cb considering we had lost 2 in the summer and were actually going to be playing with three at the back!!

I never understand how people can defend Woodward or the glazers when in the face of evidence that Woodward is at the very least struggling with his new role.

There is practically nothing to suggest that Woodward is good at signing players. People like to blame DM for all last seasons messing but refuse to see the pattern developing. Second year running that united will be last big club to make its major signings after the season has started....

What is the one main common factor in this and last seasons transfer fiasco? Sometimes the obvious problem is the problem..

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Woody and Glazers are a deadly combination. I hope he can learn fast. But the question is : Do we really have any funds to buy anyone or was that the club trying to keep us calm?
That is a good question. The amount of money this club brings we should easily have the money. The amount the owners cream off the top might be hampering us. The next two weeks will show if Ed was telling the truth or it is just hot air. If the latter I hope he is ready for the abuse he will get from the crowd at OT. They shouldn't hold back, it isn't SAF they will be abusing, or LvG or the team. It should be the owners and Woodward who get both barrels.

Sad Chris

Really? Are you naïve enough to believe that they hadn't any notion about who they wanted?
LVG knew in USA the positions needed to fill. Hell, anybody with a brain knew united were at the very least going to need at least one cb considering we had lost 2 in the summer and were actually going to be playing with three at the back!!
I never understand how people can defend Woodward or the glazers when in the face of evidence that Woodward is at the very least struggling with his new role.
There is practically nothing to suggest that Woodward is good at signing players. People like to blame DM for all last seasons messing but refuse to see the pattern developing. Second year running that united will be last big club to make its major signings after the season has started....
What is the one main common factor in this and last seasons transfer fiasco? Sometimes the obvious problem is the problem..
First of all, I'm not defending Woodward and especially not the Glazers. But who are we officially chasing? Who are these players that LvG has asked for? I haven't heard any official statements and I don't believe the media or any of us muppets.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish

Its not defending, its all about picking an argument with a perfectly reasonable post, by asking the poster to prove his argument with material not in the public arena.

Posts like that are best ignored. What you said was perfectly reasonable.

Drummer

First of all, I'm not defending Woodward and especially not the Glazers. But who are we officially chasing? Who are these players that LvG has asked for? I haven't heard any official statements and I don't believe the media or any of us muppets.
You don't have to hear about who united are trying to sign you just need to accept that the club is negotiating. LVG said himself he doesn't want to discuss transfers so prices don't rise....

The delay in most transfers is the haggling for price...

Jonno

Why would the club come out and make statements mid-transfer window that they are chasing for example Di Maria. The club is renowned for keeping all transfer dealings as private as possible.

I think it's quite obvious that Woodward is attempting to get various transfer targets to sign but is failing miserably.

IwatUwat

LVG was pretty open with the fact our players aren't / weren't good enough, I expect these opinions will be voiced with Woodward. I fully assume this is why he did that in public to call out Woodward a bit to make the moves happen.

He's gone very quiet for someone so vocal earlier in the window. Maybe he shot himself in the foot with those comments.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Why would the club come out and make statements mid-transfer window that they are chasing for example Di Maria. The club is renowned for keeping all transfer dealings as private as possible.

I think it's quite obvious that Woodward is attempting to get various transfer targets to sign but is failing miserably.
Why would Woodward be failing if he has the money? What would he be struggling with? If he has the licence to spend big, why would he haggle? He knows how to close a deal, as we've seen. He's not an idiot who'll sit with 200 million pounds but haggle for a laugh for no reason.

I guess it's nicer to assume the money's there but Woodward's deciding to play around then it is to contemplate the necessary money not being there for him to spend.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Why would Woodward be failing if he has the money? What would he be struggling with? If he has the licence to spend big, why would he haggle?

I guess it's nicer to assume the money's there but Woodward's deciding to play around then it is to contemplate the necessary money not being there for him to spend.

The money should be there otherwise what is the point of all the money these sponsorship deals bring in, all the TV money, all the money the fans pour into the club?

Seveneric

That doesn't mean he gave Woodward a list of targets though. Knowing which position needs filling and then selecting the players you want to fill those positions- which from everything LVG has said he seemed in no hurry to do, because he wants to get it right, are different. This might have meant Woodward didn't really have a target "mission" until after the tour.

lalloyd

Once again, this transfer window has been an absolute joke. We have clear deficiencies that were exposed for a full season last year that haven't been addressed. We've done considerably less business than last year's top 4 and we want to get back into the Champions League from 7th? Bonkers. Clearly there are incompetencies at high levels. It's like when you have three months to do a Uni assignment and leave it until the last night. It's okay when you're an independent student doing a pointless degree you don't really care about but when you're in charge of one of the world's biggest football clubs it is not okay. An embarrassing farce which will probably end up with Bradley Wright-Phillips and Lee Cattermole for a combined £412 million.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Why would you want to ignore my post? Because I don't just believe everything that's in the media or in this forum and ask questions?
You argued, albeit feigning ignorance, with the point, "LVG knew in USA the positions needed to fill."

Of course he did, I am sure he has a very good idea who he wanted to replace them with too. You reckon you are simply asking questions, but I reckon you were simply being pedantic.

Jonno

Why would Woodward be failing if he has the money? What would he be struggling with? If he has the licence to spend big, why would he haggle? He knows how to close a deal, as we've seen. He's not an idiot who'll sit with 200 million pounds but haggle for a laugh for no reason.

It's blatantly obvious that the money is there to be spent, as Woodward has come out and said they want to sign more players after the Herrera signing. It was well documented that he failed to sign Fabregas last summer, and he is failing to negotiate this summer on various targets that have come and gone.

LonelyFire

It's blatantly obvious that the money is there to be spent[/B], as Woodward has come out and said they want to sign more players after the Herrera signing. It was well documented that he failed to sign Fabregas last summer, and he is failing to negotiate this summer on various targets that have come and gone.
Is it?

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
It's blatantly obvious that the money is there to be spent, as Woodward has come out and said they want to sign more players after the Herrera signing. It was well documented that he failed to sign Fabregas last summer, and he is failing to negotiate this summer on various targets that have come and gone.
Yes, I'm sure Woodward's so stupid that he has £100 million or £200 million but somehow fails to negotiate for players we need with urgency.
Maybe it's his people skills, or maybe its still not occurred to him that haggling hasn't been successful and that he should just spend some of the huge funds the Glazers have given him the complete freedom to spend.

Someone needs to remind him that he doesn't need to penny pinch for no reason, after all the Glazers are willing to spend whatever it takes.

Drummer

That doesn't mean he gave Woodward a list of targets though. Knowing which position needs filling and then selecting the players you want to fill those positions- which from everything LVG has said he seemed in no hurry to do, because he wants to get it right, are different. This might have meant Woodward didn't really have a target "mission" until after the tour.
What has Woodward done in his role as player negotiator to give you confidence that he is good at his job?

Mata wasn't even a player needed, it was just a transfer of convenience for both Chelsea and United. Looked like a good piece of business by both clubs, but LVG stated himself that the club had too many players in that position. .

Maybe you would blame DM, but the club bought Shaw and Herrera on its own bat. LVG might of said "well if you think we need them go ahead", but he had virtually zero input in signing these youngsters who were sounded out last year and it took that year for woodward to get them. This would suggest that the clubs scouting network is highly trusted and constantly looking at club preferred targets, irrespective of the manager. Are you saying the club or LVG literally had no idea of any potential targets when LVG identified positions players were needed ?

Then you look at the fact that Evra was let go and Buttner was sold. So LVG, from the start stated that he was going with 3-5-2 because of the attacking options available to him. But you think he didn't know very early on that he would need a CB and a LWB? Shaw was a LB, not even an attacking kind of LWB ! . .

Ok, he wanted to try out the existing squad, even trying players out of position, but I don't think that would of made much of a difference in terms of who he would of identified as a preferably addition to the squad.

While none of us can say categorically Woodward has failed, there is less evidence to suggest even anecdotally that he is a competent negotiator in the football arena. .

Sad Chris

You argued, albeit feigning ignorance, with the point, "LVG knew in USA the positions needed to fill."
Of course he did, I am sure he has a very good idea who he wanted to replace them with too. You reckon you are simply asking questions, but I reckon you were simply being pedantic.
Maybe you should just not assume that everybody spends as much time on here as you and regard questions as what they are: questions. If you don't feel the need or don't have any answers, don't run around telling others to ignore questions. Maybe somebody has more to offer than: "it's obvious to anybody with a brain that we have targets".

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Maybe you should just not assume that everybody spends as much time on here as you and regard questions as what they are: questions. If you don't feel the need or don't have any answers, don't run around telling others to ignore questions. Maybe somebody has more to offer than: "it's obvious to anybody with a brain that we have targets".

Your words fella.

Additionally, you tried to call out Drummer and fell flat on your face. Please, don't pick up the habits of a few idiots in here.

RedOldBoy

That is a good question. The amount of money this club brings we should easily have the money. The amount the owners cream off the top might be hampering us. The next two weeks will show if Ed was telling the truth or it is just hot air. If the latter I hope he is ready for the abuse he will get from the crowd at OT. They shouldn't hold back, it isn't SAF they will be abusing, or LvG or the team. It should be the owners and Woodward who get both barrels.
Tbh I always believed that Woodward should have gotten the sack before Moyes. His incompetency bewilders me, and I thought he would have learned by now but the same lack of activity in the transfer market has occurred this summer as well. Can anyone be that useless? Surely LVG must have figured out which positions need strengthening and which players have no future at the club. However the 'Glazers problem' will be much more difficult to get rid of, and I hope we don't go back to the 'green and gold till the club is sold' situation

LonelyFire

Tbh I always believed that Woodward should have gotten the sack before Moyes. His incompetency bewilders me, and I thought he would have learned by now but the same lack of activity in the transfer market has occurred this summer as well. Can anyone be that useless? Surely LVG must have figured out which positions need strengthening and which players have no future at the club. However the 'Glazers problem' will be much more difficult to get rid of, and I hope we don't go back to the 'green and gold till the club is sold' situation
Who says he hasn't achieved exactly what the Glazers wanted?

NK86

I am really inclined to blame Woodward for the fiasco we have seen so far but I just don't think it's his fault. This is the same guy who absolutely smashed our transfer record during the Jan window. I think we are actually having trouble attracting players for some reason or the other. Be it because we are not in the CL, or because we are not willing to pay crazy sums to players from the continent, I am not sure but we cannot be this incompetent.
I do blame him for his outspoken ways. The moment things improve in the slightest, he opens his gob and comes out with big statements and says things which make you believe there is actually something in the pipeline which is going to materialize very soon. And when we seen performances like the one we saw on Saturday along with basically very little movement in the transfer window except for the likes of Rojo whose ownership is making this even crazier, people obviously bring up his old quotes and get infuriated with his smug face and statements.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
I am really inclined to blame Woodward for the fiasco we have seen so far but I just don't think it's his fault. This is the same guy who absolutely smashed our transfer record during the Jan window. I think we are actually having trouble attracting players for some reason or the other. Be it because we are not in the CL, or because we are not willing to pay crazy sums to players from the continent, I am not sure but we cannot be this incompetent.
I do blame him for his outspoken ways. The moment things improve in the slightest, he opens his gob and comes out with big statements and says things which make you believe there is actually something in the pipeline which is going to materialize very soon. And when we seen performances like the one we saw on Saturday along with basically very little movement in the transfer window except for the likes of Rojo whose ownership is making this even crazier, people obviously bring up his old quotes and get infuriated with his smug face and statements.
You do know that a 3rd party was involved in the Mata transfer and Woody had feck all to.do with it?

RedOldBoy

Who says he hasn't achieved exactly what the Glazers wanted?
If this is the case then it's appalling and the surely the Glazers must be driven out of the club. If we are to become a mid-table club then it's all due to them.

LonelyFire

Spend no money, see the team go quickly downhill, resulting in reduced money from sponsors and merchandise sales etc etc.

Great business plan!
Seen this argument before - nothing has changed. Sponsors & Revenue streams continue to go grow at an exponential rate despite under investment in the team over a significant period of time. You think it will change but the Glazers have not seen anything detrimental in their bank balance.

NK86

You do know that a 3rd party was involved in the Mata transfer and Woody had feck all to.do with it?
I thought it was SAF and Gill who got involved. I don't understand what you mean by third party here. Anyway, we always tend to get things done that way. From what I do remember, many of our negotiations are done by agents or other power brokers on our behalf.

Status
Not open for further replies.