Woodward (old thread)

Should Studward remain as CE of Manchester United?

• No - he should be sacked also.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Yes - he should stay.

Votes: 137 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He was at least part of the decision to sack Moyes, along with the Glazers, other directors including Sirs Alex and Bobby.
Others have made this erroneous claim. Sir Alex and Sir Bobby are not directors of MUFC.

Board of Directors

Avram Glazer
Executive Co-Chairman and Director

Joel Glazer
Executive Co-Chairman and Director

Edward Woodward
Executive Vice Chairman and Director

Richard Arnold
Group Managing Director and Director

Michael Bolingbroke
Chief Operating Officer and Director

Kevin Glazer
Director

Bryan Glazer
Director

Darcie Glazer
Director

Edward Glazer
Director

Robert Leitão
Director

Man Utd Sawhney
Director
John Hooks
Director

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Is that right? I don't know the inside story. But as the CEO the buck stops with him, as they say. He will get ripped for any bad decisions the club makes, so he should get credit for those the club gets right.

As far as I know, we don't really know who was for firing him and who wasn't. You're saying the Glazers told him to fire Moyes and he didn't make any decision himself?
Honestly, you think this is deserving of a response?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The impression I get is that he's a bit of an unctuous snake, which doesn't necessarily make him bad at his job though.

I'll judge him on how the transfer window goes, I guess. If he screws it up then I'm sure he'll be cut.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
@Fergie's Man Sorry, am I beneath you? Usually United don't publish details of our decision making. The impression I have is that the Glazers themselves don't make these type of decisions and rely of those who know about football to do so for them.

Plugsy

The ultimate decision will of course be the owners but it appears they're aware of their limited knowledge so are happy to be guided by Woodward, Ferguson, Charlton and Gill.

Bebe

Others have made this erroneous claim. Sir Alex and Sir Bobby are not directors of MUFC.
Cheers, fair enough. Nevertheless they, along with Woodward, were involved in the decision to sack Moyes.

Who do you think, out of that lot made the decision? He merely fired the bullets the others made and only did so when instructed to do so.

The man is a partly responsible for this whole debacle and is lucky still to be in a job. I find it hard to believe how short a memory so many have, when they find a scapegoat.
Which debacle? Hiring Moyes? He had no say in that. Firing Moyes was the correct decision. If you mean the media getting wind of it, 16 hours hardly qualifies as a debacle in my opinion.

He was at least partly responsible for last summer's activities, which could accurately be described as a debacle. I didn't forget about that, in fact I mentioned it in my post.

Plugsy

If you'd been at school with him & he so much as looked in your direction - he wouldn't have made it to sixth form.

Yeah. Hate to break it to you but the school he went to probably didn't have a "sixth form".

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Cheers, fair enough. Nevertheless they, along with Woodward, were involved in the decision to sack Moyes.

Which debacle? Hiring Moyes? He had no say in that. Firing Moyes was the correct decision. If you mean the media getting wind of it, 16 hours hardly qualifies as a debacle in my opinion.

He was at least partly responsible for last summer's activities, which could accurately be described as a debacle. I didn't forget about that, in fact I mentioned it in my post.
The keyword was "whole". For me the debacle started with the Summer transfer activities, Offering £30m for Fabregas, the boarding of the plane that never seemed to land, the lack of transfer success, Fellaini and the offers and the knock on effect this had on Moyes' reputation and credibility. Within this debacle I include the performance of the team, which is something to do with lack of quality in some areas, this takes us in part back to the Summer. I am pretty sure you know exactly what I mean.

Plugsy

Nothing, went to one myself, why?
Just all this talk about looks being considered capital punishment and someone not making it through sixth-form if they did, it's all a bit aggressive I thought you were harbouring childhood repressions :lol:

Nozzy

Just all this talk about looks being considered capital punishment and someone not making it through sixth-form if they did, it's all a bit aggressive I thought you were harbouring childhood repressions :lol:
No just having a bit of fun as I don't particularly like him. Fine, he's good at raising funds from world wide sponsorships etc but if he's buying players at over the odds, maybe he should stick to what he knows best.

Amir

Hopefully he has learned a lot this season. If he doesnt make use of that next season then get rid of him.
We're not going to get rid because he seems to be able commercially. Whether he can also do it well on the footbaling side remains to be seen. It's more of a question of bringing in another man to handle the football side rather then replace him completely.

Bebe

The keyword was "whole". For me the debacle started with the Summer transfer activities, Offering £30m for Fabregas, the boarding of the plane that never seemed to land, the lack of transfer success, Fellaini and the offers and the knock on effect this had on Moyes' reputation and credibility. Within this debacle I include the performance of the team, which is something to do with lack of quality in some areas, this takes us in part back to the Summer. I am pretty sure you know exactly what I mean.
Well I think its a bit unfair to blame him for boarding a plane and not issuing a press release when it landed.

The summer activities did have a knock on effect that combined with our difficult early schedule certainly hindered us. However reputable sources have stated that the club had deals in place for Thiago Alcantara and Ezequiel Garay, which were cancelled by Moyes. Had those deals gone through, we may not have needed to pursue Fabregas, Herrera or Fellaini. This is debate for a different thread though.

I'm reluctant to put much blame on Woodward for on field performances however, since he has no involvement in those. Since the summer he's signed Juan Mata. That's a definite positive. I'm sure he also is taking a large role in the ongoing kit deal discussions, which look like they'll land us a record deal. I'm willing to reserve judgement on his player recruitment aptitude for this summer. If it goes similarly to last year then yes, we have a problem. But I think most signs since the summer have been positive.

Fergie's Man

Suffers Snails fetish
Well I think its a bit unfair to blame him for boarding a plane and not issuing a press release when it landed.

The summer activities did have a knock on effect that combined with our difficult early schedule certainly hindered us. However reputable sources have stated that the club had deals in place for Thiago Alcantara and Ezequiel Garay, which were cancelled by Moyes. Had those deals gone through, we may not have needed to pursue Fabregas, Herrera or Fellaini. This is debate for a different thread though.

I'm reluctant to put much blame on Woodward for on field performances however, since he has no involvement in those. Since the summer he's signed Juan Mata. That's a definite positive. I'm sure he also is taking a large role in the ongoing kit deal discussions, which look like they'll land us a record deal. I'm willing to reserve judgement on his player recruitment aptitude for this summer. If it goes similarly to last year then yes, we have a problem. But I think most signs since the summer have been positive.
I read this too and would love to hear Moyes on the subject. Disappointing if true, I agree totally.

I appreciate your optimism with regard Woodward and like you say, time will tell.

MDFC Manager

Performed an absolute daylight robbery on Chevrolet for the shirt sponsorship deal. There's no way this guy is going anywhere anytime soon.

Good thing for us is that he seems to be quickly learning on the job (unlike Mr. Moyes). My only critique is the increasing openness with which our club is interacting with the press. I see this as more of an hindrance than a good thing. Does anyone else know why this is happening and what implications it holds?

ghagua

Woodward should keep his job, but United need to bring in a director of football, someone who has a football background and not a money man. Not to jump on Moyes again, but it seems last summer's transfer mess was down to dithering by Moyes, who turned down Thiago and kept chasing Fabregas with Fellaini on the back burner.

JSMHE

When Woodward came to United in 2005. Our financial became better. He was the one tying up sponsorship deals with company around the world. And Glazer obviously love him. And now he has a new role. I would give him another chance and see how he deals with players next summer. Anyway let's leave Ed alone.

goin4glory

I'm sure he'll have learnt a lot from last summer and will know his reputation is on the line going into this window. Personally I think we should have Gill back at the club for one summer not just to help tie up these deals but it's possible we need to be negotiating for multiple players at once.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
They won't get rid of Ed, he's one of them. If they got rid, I don't know if he would move back down to a financial position either, which would result in him being a huge loss to our potential sponsorships in the future. Let's see how he handles this summer; he seemed to do alright with landing Mata so some encouraging signs.

Loon

:lol:
He might be able to bag sponsorship from Doritos, but both he and Moyes made mistakes last summer. That must have been one hell of a dismissal meeting.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He seems to be desperate to bring a 'superstar' to the club going by the clubs briefing. Almost to prove a point that he can, in fact, sign players!

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
WTF - he's taking snaps when the team is clearly falling apart?
He was going to use that as prove that Moyes should be sacked. I can imagine Woodward taking out his phone in the meeting and showing everyone the picture and saying this is what Moyes is doing to the team, he must go!

Nozzy

He was going to use that as prove that Moyes should be sacked. I can imagine Woodward taking out his phone in the meeting and showing everyone the picture and saying this is what Moyes is doing to the team, he must go!
That, & a 'Powerpoint' display. Speaking as an accountant, I know what cnuts accounts are.

Nozzy

He seems to be desperate to bring a 'superstar' to the club going by the clubs briefing. Almost to prove a point that he can, in fact, sign players!
Yep, small man syndrome if ever I saw it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yep, small man syndrome if ever I saw it.
If we fail to fix our midfield this summer Woodward must take the rap. His Garry Cook impression is starting to grate.

Status
Not open for further replies.