Woodward (old thread)

Should Studward remain as CE of Manchester United?

• No - he should be sacked also.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • Yes - he should stay.

Votes: 137 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Well I think its a bit unfair to blame him for boarding a plane and not issuing a press release when it landed.

The summer activities did have a knock on effect that combined with our difficult early schedule certainly hindered us. However reputable sources have stated that the club had deals in place for Thiago Alcantara and Ezequiel Garay, which were cancelled by Moyes. Had those deals gone through, we may not have needed to pursue Fabregas, Herrera or Fellaini. This is debate for a different thread though.

I'm reluctant to put much blame on Woodward for on field performances however, since he has no involvement in those. Since the summer he's signed Juan Mata. That's a definite positive. I'm sure he also is taking a large role in the ongoing kit deal discussions, which look like they'll land us a record deal. I'm willing to reserve judgement on his player recruitment aptitude for this summer. If it goes similarly to last year then yes, we have a problem. But I think most signs since the summer have been positive.
Is there a link to these sources?

itso 7

Sir Alex, is that you??

Absolutely spot on. The next appointment will be an even bigger decision to make than the Moyes one. We've sacked the one man who was in it for the long haul and frankly he expected more time and as a result he's left the club in a poor position with no champions league and 2 purchases which may not suit another manager. We now need to find someone with the adequate experience of winning as well as the ability to stay at the club and finish this rebuilding that has started.

I personally think if we sign the wrong manager now we'll rue sacking Moyes for the years on end after we suffer a Liverpool style decline.
Wrong what we most need right now is the best available manager that can get us back into the money spinning CL and with that achieved we can then worry about the long term team construction . This season's feck up has set us back badly, I mean right now we can't even afford a gamble on a young upcoming manager like Pochettino because the consequences of another failure could have far reaching effects o the financial stability of the club .

bobbyf

I agree. The suggestion that Moyes is solely responsible for the failings this year is an attractive position to take - it suggests that moving him on will solve all problems. It wont.

Last summer was difficult. Moyes appinted late and Woodward probably not experienced enough to be handling a number of incoming transfers. I suppose, to be fair he hadnt been in the job long so you might let that go.

What's dissapointing is the way the club handled Moyes sacking. It lacked class and frankly made the club look amateur. Worse is the sudden change in direction. It may prove to be the right decision, but generally large businesses have a core opinion on what they should be doing and how they're going to ahcieve it. Moving on to a different type of manager suggest either a) they're admitting they got it completely wrong last year or b) they've totally changed their mind about what is best for the club. Neither is a particular positive development.
How was his appointment late? He knew he had the job last May and started 1st July. He could have indicated what players he was interested in before July to help Woodward get the ball rolling. Moyes also dithered when certain deals/bids were on the table after he took over. And other managers started jobs last summer and they signed players. At least 3 of them are above us in the table, including Everton.

Can't disagree with you about the handling of his dismissal. But after such a terrible season, he must have suspected it was coming. He lost the dressing room some time ago, apparently, so there was only one way it could go. And the club clearly got his appointment wrong and so what if they did? It happens all the time. Just as long as they learn from it.

Bebe

Is there a link to these sources?
http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/...exit-scuppered-manchester-united-move?cc=5901

"I believed I was going to join Manchester United in the summer and the deal was nearly closed, but finally Benfica did not accept the offer,"

"I believe the exit of Ferguson has influenced the deal. Moyes did not believe in me as much but that's not a problem." - Garay
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27105790

Within days of his arrival Moyes backed away from deals the club had in place to sign Barcelona midfielder Thiago Alcantara, who later joined Bayern Munich, and Benfica centre-back Ezequiel Garay.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
How was his appointment late? He knew he had the job last May and started 1st July. He could have indicated what players he was interested in before July to help Woodward get the ball rolling. Moyes also dithered when certain deals/bids were on the table after he took over. And other managers started jobs last summer and they signed players. At least 3 of them are above us in the table, including Everton.

Can't disagree with you about the handling of his dismissal. But after such a terrible season, he must have suspected it was coming. He lost the dressing room some time ago, apparently, so there was only one way it could go. And the club clearly got his appointment wrong and so what if they did? It happens all the time. Just as long as they learn from it.
This is key. It's taken for granted, but businesses in the real world stick with CEOs for much longer, because they get it right the first or second time. We can't afford to run through all the mangerial prospects ala Chelsea in a few years.

Bebe

Cheers. Well I'm speechless.
Yeah, the Thiago one is absolutely mind boggling. Ticked all the boxes we're looking for as a creative midfielder, steal of a price given his potential, and has gone on to be dominant (though has suffered with two major injuries) for the Bayern juggernaut. How you say no to that one is completely beyond me.

Revan

Assumptionman
Cheers. Well I'm speechless.
Garay being a done deal which was 'vetoed' by Moyes isn't exactly something new.

The sad thing, is that he would have been perfect under Van Gaal. Very decent in the ball and while slow as feck, that wouldn't be a problem cause Van Gaal plays their CB very very deep.

bobbyf

This is key. It's taken for granted, but businesses in the real world stick with CEOs for much longer, because they get it right the first or second time. We can't afford to run through all the mangerial prospects ala Chelsea in a few years.
By appointment I meant manager, not CE. But you're right. Needs sorting out.

Infra-red

He may well be a bigger problem than Moyes would have been going forward. Would be pretty disastrous to lose the manager and the Chief Exec in the same summer, 2 summers in a row though, so he has to stay.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
It's about time he delivers on something he said at the start of this campaign. He can't hide behind the excuse of being new this summer.
"If we have a bad year we have the financial strength to change the team. We have so much deeper financial strength that instead of selling three players and buying three, we can do five."

RedRover

Absolutely . .

You don't have to be unhappy with the DM sacking, to take a step back and get very concerned about the competency of the hierarchy of the club . .
Indeed. Moyes has gone and whilst I was all for giving him a chance it seems his inability to get on with the players did for him. Fair enough, and you move on.

But the higher echelons club made the choice to appoint him, allowed him to make huge changes and do what he felt he needed to do a job long term - a job he'd been given a 6 year contract for.

They were obviously convinced by what he had to say. I hope they are more discerning and sensible with the next bloke they interview.

Last edited:

RedRover

Sir Alex, is that you??

Absolutely spot on. The next appointment will be an even bigger decision to make than the Moyes one. We've sacked the one man who was in it for the long haul and frankly he expected more time and as a result he's left the club in a poor position with no champions league and 2 purchases which may not suit another manager. We now need to find someone with the adequate experience of winning as well as the ability to stay at the club and finish this rebuilding that has started.

I personally think if we sign the wrong manager now we'll rue sacking Moyes for the years on end after we suffer a Liverpool style decline.
An interesting point raised by a Journo today inline with what is been saying before.

Moyes represented long term stability and hopefully avoiding a regular 3 year manager change. This reduces the need to spend mega-money to bring in new players for each manager and move on the old managers favourites.

Van Gaal represents the exsct opposite.

We might spend big sums this summer, but the current ownership model doesn't suggest that can happen regularly. That's a major concern.

If we get a top manager who moves on, a top replacement will want up be backed financially as well. If not, we'll get second rate managers. Hopefully the club can afford to compete with the other top clubs on the financial front if we get on the merry go round of top coaches.

The Journo's suggestion is that The reality if modern football is that to be at the top you need to be capable of spending big most seasons. If not the best managers won't come.

And if you unearth a great manager and he has success, He'll soon leave for a better offer and a club that can give him money to spend. It's an interesting argument. The Glazers have never been in this position before. It'll be interesting to see what happens going forward.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Rumour has it that he really isn't a football guy and doesn't know his arse from his elbow in that department. Part of the reson why he messed up last summer. He also leaked the sacking news as he's trying to get in the press good books.

Sounds like a bit of a weasel and not someone with the class that you'd expect here.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Rumour has it that he really isn't a football guy and doesn't know his arse from his elbow in that department. Part of the reson why he messed up last summer. He also leaked the sacking news as he's trying to get in the press good books.

Sounds like a bit of a weasel and not someone with the class that you'd expect here.
More than sounding like one, he looks kind of like a weasel.

Which is my biggest gripe with him as I wouldn't have a clue about his credentials as a professional. Like all of you others, then.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Was listening to a journo the other day saying he was impressed with how well Woodward has learned on the job. Blatantly out of his depth last summer but comes across much more clued in now. Used the example of the Fabregas saga, where he got sucked in by an agent using United to help strengthen his client's position at his current club but doesn't see him being as gullible again this summer.

Obviously, be a big help if he has a manager to work with who has more experience than Moyes at dealing with the sharks that surround all the elite footballers these days.

Last edited:

Cooksen

The Millennium Falcao
I honestly am starting to think that Woodward could not get any deals done becuase Moyes had no idea on who he wanted to sign.

Backing out of that Thiago deal is mind boggling.

OneUnited24

I honestly am starting to think that Woodward could not get any deals done becuase Moyes had no idea on who he wanted to sign.

Backing out of that Thiago deal is mind boggling.
Most fingers are right now pointed squarely at Moyes but i think Woodwards nativity also played its part. SAF would often say how top players agents would call regarding their interest in signing for us, my belief is both Moyes and Woodard received similar phone calls and tried to pursue them without thinking they may have been angling for a "move" to get a better deal out of their current club.

I mean the whole Fabregas issue was laughable and it all started because he and RvP share an agent. IMO he was clearly looking for assurances of his involvement at Barca this season with the new manager and he got it!

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Getting Mata in and seemingly being the leading force in sacking Moyes has done him a lot of favors with regards to his image with the fans. The club seems to be more accessible under him than in previous years under Gill and this could be seen as both positive and negative. Papers used to be all over the place when it comes to our activity, decisions, sackings, contracts and transfer dealings but right now tabloids are hitting the nail almost each and every time since Woodward has been appointed.

If he manages to get rid out our less talented players and gets most of our targets, I will be a very happy person.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Getting Mata in and seemingly being the leading force in sacking Moyes has done him a lot of favors with regards to his image with the fans. The club seems to be more accessible under him than in previous years under Gill and this could be seen as both positive and negative. Papers used to be all over the place when it comes to our activity, decisions, sackings, contracts and transfer dealings but right now tabloids are hitting the nail almost each and every time since Woodward has been appointed.

If he manages to get rid out our less talented players and gets most of our targets, I will be a very happy person.
Yes, the change has been dramatic. I don't see any benefit to the new "approach" if it is indeed an approach and not just Woody being a bit useless when it comes to running a tight operation.

I have no idea what he's doing as regards Cavani, by the way. That he's been in meetings with PSG is pretty much an accepted truth now. Seems like utter folly to me.

decorativeed

Most fingers are right now pointed squarely at Moyes but i think Woodwards nativity also played its part. SAF would often say how top players agents would call regarding their interest in signing for us, my belief is both Moyes and Woodard received similar phone calls and tried to pursue them without thinking they may have been angling for a "move" to get a better deal out of their current club.

I mean the whole Fabregas issue was laughable and it all started because he and RvP share an agent. IMO he was clearly looking for assurances of his involvement at Barca this season with the new manager and he got it!
Sounds interesting. Can't wait for Christmas.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
I don't like him. Under his regime we've failed to secure vital players, and we've leaked more than the Titanic. Funnily enough when the Mata deal was finalized there was a big write up praising Woodward, I find it very suspicious.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I don't like him. Under his regime we've failed to secure vital players, and we've leaked more than the Titanic. Funnily enough when the Mata deal was finalized there was a big write up praising Woodward, I find it very suspicious.
A while back I thought he came across rather well in interviews. And his more open approach struck me as possibly a good thing. But these damn leaks have gotten on my nerves. He's supposed to run the ship. And frankly he doesn't look like a captain to me. I hope he proves me wrong but I simply don't trust the man at the moment.

Revan

Assumptionman
If he really spends 50-60m on Cavani just to look that we have money to spend then he is a fecking idiot. I really hope that he has talked with PSG for an another player (Veratti or Moura) because regardless how a good player Cavani is, we do not need him at all.

Plugsy

If he really spends 50-60m on Cavani just to look that we have money to spend then he is a fecking idiot. I really hope that he has talked with PSG for an another player (Veratti or Moura) because regardless how a good player Cavani is, we do not need him at all.
It'd depend on what happens. It's possible that prior to Moyes leaving, players like RVP were making noises to him about possibly looking away next year. It's just conjecture on my behalf but I think maybe the context of our rumoured interest could be important. It could be just one of a number of potential options we're giving our next coach too.

Kag

It's a strange situation, and I'm very sceptical of the man and his intentions. For better or worse, he's briefing members of the media anything and everything, and the Guardian's Daniel Taylor has been his chosen mouthpiece from the outset. If you take time to read his articles throughout the season then they've been mostly correct, as well as firmly written.

It's good in that we know where we stand, but it leaves us open to some of the nonsense of last Summer. I can't quite decide whether I prefer this or the Ferguson-centric closed off approach, I guess we'll know for certain over the next six months or so. However, in fairness, reporting on United post-Ferguson was always going to be easier. He operated with such power and control, one which any manager of any executive isn't going to replicate.

Revan

Assumptionman
It'd depend on what happens. It's possible that prior to Moyes leaving, players like RVP were making noises to him about possibly looking away next year. It's just conjecture on my behalf but I think maybe the context of our rumoured interest could be important. It could be just one of a number of potential options we're giving our next coach too.
Hopefully you're right. I am just a bit scared that he'll do an Abramovich/Perez and sign players just for the sake of it, to show that we have muscle.

Plugsy

Hopefully you're right. I am just a bit scared that he'll do an Abramovich/Perez and sign players just for the sake of it, to show that we have muscle.
From what I seem to read he's not a football man, I think if he is taking the lead on transfers he's probably working with Sir Alex on this somewhat.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
Did you really need to put a picture of the bastard here, really?
I mean seriously, are you thick or just insensitive?
It was an innocent mistake man, he wouldnt have meant to offend anyone to be honest. I know seeing a photo of that evil twisted bastard brings it all back & thats the hard part. Try to just let it lie... it was just insensitive & no harm or offence was intended is my reckoning :angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.