Working on multiple transfers at a time

Scottynaldinho

Its crazy how one person can multitask if they want, let alone an organization with hundreds of employees in it. A groundbreaking method that. Its what Steve Jobs used to do when he was building Microsoft, thats why they now have the largest search engine in the world.
It's crazy that he also built Lucid and BYD when he already had Tesla.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not really. Pretty public that we've been bidding for players and agreeing terms etc. with individuals. Quite different from taking weeks on end to "prepare" a bid each time.
Why are these current bids any less ‘prepared’ than a bid in the past?

tomaldinho1

I’m always wary of assuming this was ever the case, we were likely in touch with loads of players and agents and working on deals, I don’t think we ever worked on ‘a deal at a time’. What we did, though, was seemingly go for a very random and scattergun approach which then often left us without bargaining power and pushing through late deals by throwing money at the problem.

With what we’re doing now, much of it I think is being pushed to the media by Ineos, making it crystal clear we are going to sign a CB and are making headway with good options. I think the current plan is trying to pressure Everton to sell for about £55m with Braithwaite and having De Ligt as backup for a cheaper fee. I suspect we know Yoro likely wants to wait for Real but we pushing that news to help us.

OmarUnited4ever

I think @Adnan answered this, even if the club officials worked on multiple deals at one time, they still needed to get the okay from Glazer to move forward, now we've Ratcliffe taking over the football management out of the Glazer's hands, we should be able to do it faster since Ashworth is now tasked with managing the football operations and he would not need to get approval to finalize a deal since he will know what's required of him and what limits he can operate within.

Valencia Shin Crosses

It’s irrelevant until we start closing bids. All we have is various social media mouthpieces saying we did this or that.
:lol: I mean if you want to just refuse to ever believe any reporters then sure I guess, but if that's the case you're better off just waiting to crack open a nice old school news paper to see the headline of who we signed.

I don't think it has to be that cynical personally

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
That's not what I said. My point was in the past we often seemingly waited weeks in between bidding for players, dragging on negotiations far past what they needed to go and in many cases missing out entirely even after doing so.
There is no evidence that none of that will not be the case this summer either. We’ve signed nobody, and have one player in particular who we have made two bids over a few weeks for, and are rumoured to be ‘preparing a third bid’, which I imagine will be below the 70m asking price and no guarantee we will get the player after a long pursuit.

My own point is, people seem to be riding a crest of a wave and positivity at the moment, and in previous years, they were riding a wave of negativity. As a result, the same things look different when held under different lights.

Valencia Shin Crosses

There is no evidence that none of that will not be the case this summer either. We’ve signed nobody, and have one player in particular who we have made two bids over a few weeks for, and are rumoured to be ‘preparing a third bid’, which I imagine will be below the 70m asking price and no guarantee we will get the player after a long pursuit.

My own point is, people seem to be riding a crest of a wave and positivity at the moment, and in previous years, they were riding a wave of negativity. As a result, the same things look different when held under different lights.
I wouldn't say I'm particularly "positive" right now, but I'm also not devoid of memory and this summer just factually (if we actually want to accept the numerous reports from decent sources) seems far more active/proactive on a day to day basis than previous years under old regimes. If you want to play the "we haven't signed anyone yet nothing's changed" card that's fine as you're correct as of now. Sure we are pursuing Branthwaite, but we also have agreed a fee with Lille and are tempting Yoro as well as finalizing a fee with Bayern to pull the trigger on De Ligt. If you can't see how that's different from past summers or don't want to think it is then we'll just disagree forever.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I wouldn't say I'm particularly "positive" right now, but I'm also not devoid of memory and this summer just factually (if we actually want to accept the numerous reports from decent sources) seems far more active/proactive on a day to day basis than previous years under old regimes. If you want to play the "we haven't signed anyone yet nothing's changed" card that's fine as you're correct as of now. Sure we are pursuing Branthwaite, but we also have agreed a fee with Lille and are tempting Yoro as well as finalizing a fee with Bayern to pull the trigger on De Ligt. If you can't see how that's different from past summers or don't want to think it is then we'll just disagree forever.
The point is, if we don’t sign those players, then the same narrative will be spun. We agreed a fee with De Jong (famously).

For a club that spends in and around 150m net every summer and brings in between 4-6 players quite often, we’ve obviously been ‘active’ in several summers. I still maintain that sentiment around our market activity is largely media driven.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The point is, if we don’t sign those players, then the same narrative will be spun. We agreed a fee with De Jong (famously).

For a club that spends in and around 150m net every summer and brings in between 4-6 players quite often, we’ve obviously been ‘active’ in several summers. I still maintain that sentiment around our market activity is largely media driven.
Im not talking about narratives or what we end up spending. Obviously we spend heavily (especially recent summers considering lack of sales), but it’s a pretty easy observation for me personally that we are more proactive/decisive currently in who are are pursuing and how we are approaching each target. If you choose to believe that it’s all just media spin either way that’s fine, not going to be able to change your mind on that. And really who gives a feck either way in the end if we end up nailing our targets and get them in before season starts.