World Class Youth products

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I didn’t say world class players and said amazing first team players and that they could save us hundreds of millions of players especially when you consider a good squad player these days costs £50 million plus.

If we had O’Connor, Laird, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Chong, Gribbin, Garner and Greenwood even come through as only the same level as the likes of Smalling and Lingard currently are or how Wes Brown, John O’Shea or Darren Fletcher all were which is good squad players then that’s EIGHT squad positions packed out and a HUGE amount of money saved for genuine world class players.

I don’t think in our lifetimes we’ll ever see anything like the Class Of ‘92 again especially in this country as that group were truly special and will almost certainly be remembered as the greatest group of players to come through at the same time in this country of the modern era but that doesn’t mean we won’t see a good group come through at the same time though which this group could if given chance which won’t happen under Jose.
Smailing was bought btw.

I dont think any other manager has the balls to play o'’Connor, Laird, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Chong, Gribbin, Garner and Greenwoodo' in the league at any stages.

Lets not kid ourselves that there's a manager somewhere that want to risk their job giving game time in the league for those names above and give them chance, even saf arent that ballsy.

The point is what you want is unreasonable, even for poch pep klopp and any other manager.

And btw imho... most young players didn't develop because they're not given chance and gametime or the manager refuses to play them but because they're not good enough at top level.

Fans see them in action at u19 or u23 shredding oppositions but they forgot they're playing against alot worse teams of youths. Wilson, januzaj is an example. They're superstar in u21 and failed to make a long term impact now.

’Connor, Laird, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Chong, Gribbin, Garner and Greenwood and may i add fosu mensah looks good in youth games but tfm hardly perform to fulham standard let alone our standard.

Last edited:

0le

OP, you make a good point, but I was always under the impression that the success of our youth academy was measured by players who, after leaving, would go on to have good football careers. By and large, I think that has been accomplished.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Web of Bissaka

Just counting our best youth products who reached their top heights playing many consistent run of recent games with our team.

SAF bought him back,
Top Elite: Mark Hughes

C92
World Class: Scholes, Beckham
Top Elite level: Giggs, G. Neville
Top Squad Players/Regulars: N. Butt, P. Neville

Since then,
Top Starter: Fletcher, Evans, Rafael, Brown
Top Squad Player/Regulars: O'Shea

Now,
Elite level: Pogba
Squad Players/Regulars level: Rashford, Lingard, McTominay, Pereira

*Many of our other youths have become "top" or good players with other teams, bear in mind the level of those team and the league they played in.*
---

Do the same with other clubs and we'll notice top level players doesn't always appear from own youth.
Ours are not that bad in contrast.

Wouldn't say the C92 is a fluke though.
Saying that is downplaying the effort made by those players and SAF. Situation and time does help and have strong effects, but so does the effort made by them. We know the stories of what SAF did in managing the youngsters. The Class of 92 actually had plenty more promising players who all failed to genuinely make it into the squad. Page 1 already have good posts - combine them and we'll see why it happened. Since then, it's a mixed result with situations not helping SAF - EPL getting competitive, Brown with his many injuries, Rossi having Rooney in front, Pique having Rio-Vidic in front (Evans breakthrough when they start to have injury issues), Ravel Morrison story, Pogba swayed by his agent, Fletcher with his illness, etc.

davidmichael

Smailing was bought btw.

I dont think any other manager has the balls to play o'’Connor, Laird, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Chong, Gribbin, Garner and Greenwoodo' in the league at any stages.

Lets not kid ourselves that there's a manager somewhere that want to risk their job giving game time in the league for those names above and give them chance, even saf arent that ballsy.

The point is what you want is unreasonable, even for poch pep klopp and any other manager.

And btw imho... most young players didn't develop because they're not given chance and gametime or the manager refuses to play them but because they're not good enough at top level.

Fans see them in action at u19 or u23 shredding oppositions but they forgot they're playing against alot worse teams of youths. Wilson, januzaj is an example. They're superstar in u21 and failed to make a long term impact now.

’Connor, Laird, Gomes, Tuanzebe, Chong, Gribbin, Garner and Greenwood and may i add fosu mensah looks good in youth games but tfm hardly perform to fulham standard let alone our standard.
I don’t for a second expect them to all be starting together and form the majority of our starting eleven like the Class Of ‘92 did but Tuanzebe right now could play alongside any of our centre backs and not be any worse, either of Fosu-Mensah or Laird could play in an experienced back four and Chong could play alongside any of our forwards on the right as could Gomes and neither would be any worse.

People on here constantly say they want rid of Valencia, Rojo, Jones, Lindelof, Fellaini and Mata and I don’t see why at least Tuanzebe, Laird or Fosu-Mensah, Gomes and Chong can’t be promoted to add depth to those positions as well as adding established quality to the first eleven which will always be needed anyway.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don’t for a second expect them to all be starting together and form the majority of our starting eleven like the Class Of ‘92 did but Tuanzebe right now could play alongside any of our centre backs and not be any worse, either of Fosu-Mensah or Laird could play in an experienced back four and Chong could play alongside any of our forwards on the right as could Gomes and neither would be any worse.

People on here constantly say they want rid of Valencia, Rojo, Jones, Lindelof, Fellaini and Mata and I don’t see why at least Tuanzebe, Laird or Fosu-Mensah, Gomes and Chong can’t be promoted to add depth to those positions as well as adding established quality to the first eleven which will always be needed anyway.
I suggest you visit the tfm loan watch thread.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I think TFMs progress is a bit overrated. He’s a physical beast size wise but he’s got a lot to learn. If I was a betting man I’d say his future is not at United.

I don’t like the use of the term “world class” when we’re talking about youth talent. Many many kids have looked like world beaters at that age and not gone the distance.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I think TFMs progress is a bit overrated. He’s a physical beast size wise but he’s got a lot to learn. If I was a betting man I’d say his future is not at United.

I don’t like the use of the term “world class” when we’re talking about youth talent. Many many kids have looked like world beaters at that age and not gone the distance.
I agree, I think it's all about potential with kids rather than labeling them world class straight away. Some kids simply don't develop.